TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Raptor is quite overrated like some of you are saying. I've never rode Montu, although I've been wanting to. It's hard for me to go to theme parks (such as Busch Gardens) in the south because I live in the Midwest, but hopefully I'll be able to go this summer.

Oh, and if I were to rank my top five coasters in CP, I'd say Millennium Force (1), Raptor (2), Dragster (3), GateKeeper (4), Magnum (5).

I don't know how to feel about Rougarou/New Mantis. It's not as shaky as Mantis was, but it still gives me a good old headache

Personally im neutral about it because it is an amazing ride, just the drawbacks for me is the loudness of the ride and the shaking. But every good B&M Coaster has a rattle even my favorite all time B&M Banshee has a rattle now.

What's funny about me is I'll (obviously) notice the loudness before I'm on the coaster, but I never seem to hear it when I'm actually experiencing it. I kind of like it when roller coasters are loud, it gives them character, in a sort of way.

Wait... You're complaining that it's too loud? I know you said you like the ride overall so I won't harp on that too much but seriously... That's a really minor thing to complain about (and something most enthusiasts love). Plus it can't be that loud apparently or you'd be able to hear it coming if you were (oh I don't know) in a restricted area

I see what you did there

I personally love a properly loud coaster

it gives them character, in a sort of way.

Yes, indeed. It makes them more "imposing" and intimidating. I find it a shame that almost all newer B&Ms seem to be either totally filled with sand or partially.

I don't find the ride rattly at all either but to each his own.

I have no idea why some people find it rally. I mean, even if I rattly wanted to be nitpicking I'd say millennium force has a slight rattle but raptor still doesn't. (it was also way smoother when I rode it than gatekeeper)

I'm in the "like" category as well, although when it first opened, it was in my Top 3 coasters. Given that it was the highest, fastest, longest invert out there...not to mention how intimidating it looked on the Cedar Point midway where it dwarfed over Blue Streak made it a real crowd-pleaser & just an overall very fun ride.

Since I have been on numerous other inverts, that may be why it has fallen into the "like" versus "love" category. I place Montu and Alpengeist ahead of Raptor for the intensity, cool theming and location and Banshee ahead of it just for it's sheer size, speed and length.

I do prefer it over the Batman clones that I have ridden, although those are fun too.

I should probably know this, but can someone explain (both physics terms and/or laymen's terms are fine) why a counterweight is needed?

I was actually wondering this myself.

Ever done pull-ups?

Ever done them with the help of one of those pull-up machines? The weight on the machine, allows you to pull yourself up more times with less strain on the body. It's a counter weight on a much smaller scale. Less strain on something as heavy as Valravn probably saves them a ton in maintenance cost.

I should probably know this, but can someone explain (both physics terms and/or laymen's terms are fine) why a counterweight is needed?

Keeps a constant and proper tension on the chain. Too loose and it has a chance of coming off the gears. Too tight and it would break when a train would engage on it.

Ever done pull-ups?

You're talking to a bunch of coaster enthusiasts here.

Ever done pull-ups?

The closest I have ever come to a pull up, is pulling down an over the shoulder restraint.

Ever done pull-ups?

Ever done them with the help of one of those pull-up machines?

WHOA! WAIT A MINUTE! There's a machine that makes pull-ups easier? Okay, I needed to know this about 22 years ago, back when the Presidential Physical Fitness Award required me to do one. One pull up. It was the third hardest thing I've ever done.

Ever done pull-ups?

Ever done them with the help of one of those pull-up machines?

WHOA! WAIT A MINUTE! There's a machine that makes pull-ups easier? Okay, I needed to know this about 22 years ago, back when the Presidential Physical Fitness Award required me to do one. One pull up. It was the third hardest thing I've ever done.

The one at my gym doubles as a pull-up and dip assist

Ever done pull-ups?

The closest I have ever come to a pull up, is pulling down an over the shoulder restraint.

Ride Oping and riding rides is a good workout. Especially when you have to try and get a restrain with a big person to register. A couple of years ago at VF someone actually got up on the fence to try and push down someone's restrain on PowTow. Yeah, that changed fast.

Some awesome photos of Valravn from Twitter! I am probably WAY more excited about this coaster than I should be.

Nothing wrong with excitement. It certainly gives you something to focus on during the offseason. I avoided the dreaded "senioritis" in high school because I was more focused on Millennium Force construction than I was worried about being "finished" with school.