TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Question.....

Why is there so much hate from people with gatekeeper?

The park saw its most successful opening weekend in the parks history, and was the number one ridden coaster at the park in 2013 with over 2.1 million.

So i dont get all the hate from people on here....

Question.....

Why is there so much hate from people with gatekeeper?

Very loaded question. A few points people have made:

1. Tame ride experience compared to other coasters of its size.

2. Somewhat uncomfortable restraints for some.

3. Didn't meet "Cedar Point New Coaster" expectations after Millennium Force, Top Thrill Dragster, and Maverick all opened in the last decade and a half.

It is not a bad ride by any means, but some say it was overhyped. In my opinion, which park doesn't overhype a new ride? Overall, I enjoy GateKeeper and I am glad Cedar Point built it.

I think as much as the term 'forceless' gets thrown around, the real issue with Gatekeeper is actually pacing. There's definitely some force to be felt at the base of the first drop and pulling up into the Immelmann, and I think it sustains that momentum with a nice variety of elements - but only until about halfway. I actually really enjoy the slow roll on the return trip, but I don't think any sane person can argue for the post MCBR section being a good finish.

And I don't think many complaints have been levied against the performance or throughput of the ride itself with exception to the vest restraints. I get the criticisms but they don't hold water for me.

Edited by Derpologist

Overall, I enjoy GateKeeper and I am glad Cedar Point built it.

Same feeling here. I never did understand what all of the "hate" for the ride is. Would people still rather have Transport and Space Spiral instead?

Is it the most crazy, intense ride ever? No, but as I've said a million times before, that's not really the point of a wing coaster. It's supposed to be more graceful and photogenic. I think Gatekeeper satisfies everything it was supposed to perfectly. Not everyone can ride intense coasters like Raptor and Maverick. A good park always has balance.

Didn't meet "Cedar Point New Coaster" expectations after Millennium Force, Top Thrill Dragster, and Maverick all opened in the last decade and a half.

It is not a bad ride by any means, but some say it was overhyped. In my opinion, which park doesn't overhype a new ride? Overall, I enjoy GateKeeper and I am glad Cedar Point built it.

Basically this.

Agreed with most opinions here. I personally enjoy Gatekeeper even knowing I show up for Millennium Force and TTD. When I made my first trip ever to the park in 2014. Walking up and seeing MF and TTD and Raptor and all these rides I had only seen on video in the distance until that moment, the first thing I see walking up is Gatekeeper. While not the greatest thing ever, it is very photogenic and hyped me for that weekend and gave me the "Oh my GOD I finally made it to CP'! It has that "Welcome to the island inhabited by roller coasters" welcoming and I think the Coaster Gate projects that Cedar Fair is doing at it's parks one at time is a brilliant idea!

I personally like the restraints, but as you can see in my profile, my finacee and I are your average size and height; so I can't speak for other sizes. The finish of the ride is lackluster, but the majority of the ride I enjoy...and that's all being an enthusiast is about

While not the greatest thing ever, it is very photogenic and hyped me for that weekend and gave me the "Oh my GOD I finally made it to CP'! It has that "Welcome to the island inhabited by roller coasters" welcoming

I agree with this. My first ever trip to CP we stayed on property. And coming through the gate by magnum was just blah. My second trip was only a day trip so we parked in the main lot. And the front entrance is just beautiful. I could actually spend most of.my time sitting there watching gatekeeper go by.

IMG9514811.thumb.jpg.851c75f097d8f0a5d0b0ec7fa2d428d9.jpg

Hence why this is my favorite photo I've taken!

Hey everybody, I'm planning on taking my first trip to Cedar Point during the 2016 season and was wondering what you all thought about potential travel dates for minimal crowds (I know this probably gets asked frequently). My work and school schedule line up so that I could plan a trip during early May up until the 15th or the last week of August/first week of September. I'm planning on spending two days at the park (middle of the week) either way but was wondering what your opinion was given my options. Thanks!

Hey everybody, I'm planning on taking my first trip to Cedar Point during the 2016 season and was wondering what you all thought about potential travel dates for minimal crowds (I know this probably gets asked frequently). My work and school schedule line up so that I could plan a trip during early May up until the 15th or the last week of August/first week of September. I'm planning on spending two days at the park (middle of the week) either way but was wondering what your opinion was given my options. Thanks!

I used this calendar to plan my trip this past august. It's not updated for 2016. I went Friday August 28th and there was very little crowds, some of the major rides like Raptor and Gatekeeper were practically a walk on. MF and Maverick were <20 mins the whole day. I also went on Saturday and that was much more crowded. I would highly recommend the last week of august during the weekday as all Ohio schools were back in session.

I used this calendar to plan my trip this past august. It's not updated for 2016. I went Friday August 28th and there was very little crowds, some of the major rides like Raptor and Gatekeeper were practically a walk on. MF and Maverick were <20 mins the whole day. I also went on Saturday and that was much more crowded. I would highly recommend the last week of august during the weekday as all Ohio schools were back in session.

My first trip was in mid may. Right when they were open full time. The only crowds were school groups. A smart idea would to early entry and stay in the park till 12. And then go back into the park around 4 when the schools are leaving.

^ I agree. Also check the CP website and stay away from the park during the Physics week (or whatever they call it now).

You also always have to be wary of the weather around the Great Lakes in May as there can be a lot of precipitation - which as we know, closes a lot of the coasters. Temps can range anywhere from the 40's to the low 80's, so be sure to watch the weather forecast and pack accordingly!

I have a feeling the supports for the beginning of the lift will be going into place today! The crane is in the proper spot now. This unfortunately has become my excitement in the off season!

Another random comment: Why doesn't CP have their merchandise shop online anymore? I've called the park to order a Coasterdynamix MF model which was an easy process and shipped quickly, but just interesting in 2015 they don't have a shop online anymore. Especially if they could be discounting 2015 dated stuff in the off season etc. Maybe I just want to buy everything CP and see what they have to offer. I used to buy stuff from their shop online every year.

It almost looks like they've bolted together two or three lift pieces on Perimeter Rd. Obviously they know 100% what they're doing but I've never seen it done like this before (unless they just laid them in line one behind the other... hard to tell on the webcam). Not sure if the lift will rise today.