TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Was going to buy a 2016 platinum season pass, but will not to go to the park until May. Looked on their site and does not have a process by date anywhere I can find. Does anyone know if there is one?

We didn't process ours till August this year at Kings Dominion so I'm sure you'll be fine.

We have vertical construction!

Hello! I know y'all are excited, but please help us out and credit the source of your photos, especially when the park is closed. It helps maintain the integrity of the sources of information. Thanks, and more photos to come!

Proof that upper management really do read the forums

We have vertical construction!

Hello! I know y'all are excited, but please help us out and credit the source of your photos, especially when the park is closed. It helps maintain the integrity of the sources of information. Thanks, and more photos to come!

Tony I just have to say I absolutely love what you do for the enthusiasts. It would be even more amazing if you posted on here regularly

The location of the station and lift hill were occupied by Calypso (now located in front of Wicked Twister and called Tiki Twirl) and Turnpike Cars with was removed. The second half of the ride is where the Good Time Theater was located and Dodgem (now located adjacent to maXair.

Be interesting to see where they fit the next coaster, they did a pretty creative job shifting things around for Valravn. It'll also be interesting to see if they go with B&M for the next one considering they have everything B&M offers except a flyer.

They have already announced the future removal of the Cedars dorms next to Perimeter Rd. Whether or not they use this space for a ride is yet to be seen. As we've seen with Magnum, Mean Streak, and GateKeeper, they are not afraid of expanding the park's boundaries to find room for new rides. Eventually they will need to go the DisneyLand route and start replacing rides with new rides. But they still have time until they need to go that route.

Newton's First law is that an object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion. I'm not really sure what you're trying to say here. I think that instead of going off what you think, you should read the article that was posted and more about how physics actually works.

I understand physics extremely well. I don't need to read any article on how physics works. My profession provides enough experience to speak these basic laws. And your comment about newtons first law is correct.It's inertia and that's what I what I am attempting to explain to you two (since you jumped in). Without getting into vectors, an object in forward motion remains in forward motion. So a train traveling down a straight piece of track will continue to do that until fraction, gravity, wind, etc. take over. Of course,no roller coaster is in a constant flat surface, so when the track the train is traveling on ascends uphill or into a loop, the train wants to the continue the previous forward motion which why you're forced into you seat creating positive G force. The intensity of that force depends on the speed and angle of the incline. Soooo...I'm not sure what your argument is here...Should I continue to explain inertia to a "coaster enthusiast"? Or are we going to keep debating about this Moon Coaster that floats along the track on it's up-stops?

Maybe I'm a slight bit slow, but I don't think any coaster runs primarily on it's upstops or side frictions.

No. I didn't want to make it sound as if it did either, so if that was how you read it, I apologize.

The forces your talking about don't happen going uphill.

If you go uphill and turn hard to the right, the train doesn't merely run on the top wheels. Those side wheels - the ones that if not making good contact with the side rails produce the infamous "PTC shuffle" - are taking the brunt of it. And depending on the angle at which the train is headed and at what speed, it may indeed be running on underwheels in most of the train. Remember, a train is made of multiple linked cars with vehicles at the back being "pulled" to some degree by those to which it is attached ahead of it.

The surface has nothing to do with it, especially since all coasters run on a steel surface.

The surface *definitely* makes a difference. Otherwise, why would retracking on wood coasters ever matter?

The only way to reduce stress on a structure/point is increasing support and/or decreasing the amount of force applied to that point, which is what trims are doing by slowing the train.

That's not the only way to do it, and in many cases may not be the most effective due to the way something like a non-articulating train moves through curves or traverses hills. Changing banking, the radius of turns, drops, or pull outs - they can all make significant differences to the amount and location of stress that a ride takes from operation.

Maybe I'm a slight bit slow, but I don't think any coaster runs primarily on it's upstops or side frictions.

No. I didn't want to make it sound as if it did either, so if that was how you read it, I apologize.

The forces your talking about don't happen going uphill.

If you go uphill and turn hard to the right, the train doesn't merely run on the top wheels. Those side wheels - the ones that if not making good contact with the side rails produce the infamous "PTC shuffle" - are taking the brunt of it. And depending on the angle at which the train is headed and at what speed, it may indeed be running on underwheels in most of the train. Remember, a train is made of multiple linked cars with vehicles at the back being "pulled" to some degree by those to which it is attached ahead of it.

The surface has nothing to do with it, especially since all coasters run on a steel surface.

The surface *definitely* makes a difference. Otherwise, why would retracking on wood coasters ever matter?

The only way to reduce stress on a structure/point is increasing support and/or decreasing the amount of force applied to that point, which is what trims are doing by slowing the train.

That's not the only way to do it, and in many cases may not be the most effective due to the way something like a non-articulating train moves through curves or traverses hills. Changing banking, the radius of turns, drops, or pull outs - they can all make significant differences to the amount and location of stress that a ride takes from operation.

Got you. I was referring to the steel rails as the running surface. Yes, the track condition does make a big difference. I just can't get with your explanation on the side friction wheels bearing most of the weight though. The main wheels are still carrying most of the load in a flat turn and definitely in a banked turn. If you change banking, turn radiuses, and drops that would be re-profiling and automatically includes structural changes so that wouldn't apply. If you're given the same track conditions, what I said before still applies. The Rattler, The Texas Cyclone, Riverside Cyclone and others were all re-profiled. Some coasters have cable supports to bear some of the structural load (The Beast, The Grizzly (KD), Wild One) to name a few, and this is the structural support I'm talking about without changing the ride. Most of these also include trims and/or hard mid-course brakes. Articulating training are pretty standard now. Even the PTCs articulate. The Millennium Flyer and Timberliner trains have individual cars which is why they are more agile along the track. I also believe they are lighter, but I'm not 100% sure.

Velocity of the ride will determine where and how often the wheels ride or bounce along the track. This is why trims don't necessarily make a ride "smoother" as vibrations are not a linear calculation.

If we want a true coaster physics discussion, we should take it elsewhere.

They have already announced the future removal of the Cedars dorms next to Perimeter Rd. Whether or not they use this space for a ride is yet to be seen. As we've seen with Magnum, Mean Streak, and GateKeeper, they are not afraid of expanding the park's boundaries to find room for new rides. Eventually they will need to go the DisneyLand route and start replacing rides with new rides. But they still have time until they need to go that route.

When did they announce this? I highly doubt the dorms will be around too much longer, but I haven't seen them say anything about the removal of them yet.

Was going to buy a 2016 platinum season pass, but will not to go to the park until May. Looked on their site and does not have a process by date anywhere I can find. Does anyone know if there is one?

We didn't process ours till August this year at Kings Dominion so I'm sure you'll be fine.

Thanks, not sure how Cedar Fair does pass prices as I've only done Six Flags ones. May as well get one of the big vacation cost out of the way now. (Only waiting on parks 2016 schedules now. )

Edit: I know from operating them that Screamin' Swings don't operate 38 or below. ^^^^^^^^

I'm thinking about going to CP this weekend. Any stores or websites selling them at a discount? I'm located in Indiana.

Also, at 40-low 50 degree temps, do all rides stay open?

With that forecast you'll be fine. I'd imagine it might take them a little while to get a few rides moving (the water dummies will get plenty of use) but once they get going it shouldn't dip below the point where they'd need to close anything. Every park is a little different but at parks Ike Dollywood and Carowinds it needs to be at 40 degrees for some rides to start running but once they start running it needs to fall into the mid 30's before they close. Some parks are a little different (Hershey is more strict for example and Great Adventure keeps dispatching until the ride valleys because Yolo) but that's the general rule for most B&M and Intamin coasters as far as most parks are concerned.

If it's windy and cold that could complicate things though so keep an eye on the wind forecast.