TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

^Whoa Dude! Hold your horses with the strong lip there bud! Why can't you just pick a side and stick to it man? Why ya gotta be so Switzerland? You're on the internet! Where every person that has a keyboard, and is growing up in their parents basement has a voice. Nay! A Right! Yes! A right to scream at the top of their lungs all their petty feelings on the issue. It doesn't matter if no one cares what you say, because the internet has given you a voice! And damn it! You're gonna use it! Even if you do look like a tool or a troll. You're gonna tell the world in all your poor grammar and improper punctuation just how butt hurt you feel because someone has a different opinion than you. Ooooooooooooo! My pussy is chaffing because you like this! Ahhhhhhhhh! There's sand all up in my crack cause you don't like that!

Get on the bandwagon man, and pick a side! You disgust me! Where's my throw up imogi?!

Guy "With that said, Go Intamin!" Koepp

There's a big difference between a cherry-picked daily forecast of "how often rides from each manufacturer broke down on the day I visited the park" and a climate pattern of poor reliability over a long period of time.

I love the Intamin coasters, but there have been many frustrations with the ones at Cedar Point alone, not to mention long downtime, drop ride issues (maintenance and loss of life), and a revolving door of reworked restraints, trains, and design elements on multiple rides across many parks over a period of years. We want to forgive and look the other way given so many top-ten-caliber coasters, but the bad track record is just as true as the fact that they make some amazing rides.

Even the critical acclaim we throw at Intamin for the guts to do things like i305 and Skyrush doesn't invalidate the fact that those are "controversial" coasters that have both fielded complaints and faced modifications. Anyone remember Volcano's multi-year dormancy just after its debut? There were many days when it would simply test sporadically and leave a small line of hopefuls waiting in vain at its entrance. Getting a ride on it used to be as elusive as catching a piggy-back ride from Big Foot. It was extremely disappointing and inexcusable -- not a turnkey operation at all, and it's happened again and again...Intamin is like the baseball hitter who either clobbers the ball or strikes out, while B&M has settled into consistent bloop singles and the occasional double. It's great when Intamin and a park swing for the fences, but I can understand why park managers would sleep easier at night with a reliable B&M.

^Whoa Dude! Hold your horses with the strong lip there bud! Why can't you just pick a side and stick to it man? Why ya gotta be so Switzerland? You're on the internet! Where every person that has a keyboard, and is growing up in their parents basement has a voice. Nay! A Right! Yes! A right to scream at the top of their lungs all their petty feelings on the issue. It doesn't matter if no one cares what you say, because the internet has given you a voice! And damn it! You're gonna use it! Even if you do look like a tool or a troll. You're gonna tell the world in all your poor grammar and improper punctuation just how butt hurt you feel because someone has a different opinion than you. Ooooooooooooo! My pussy is chaffing because you like this! Ahhhhhhhhh! There's sand all up in my crack cause you don't like that!

Get on the bandwagon man, and pick a side! You disgust me! Where's my throw up imogi?!

I think the problem with Intamin is that although they have the best designers in the world, their engineering is poor quality. They have great ideas, but they never efficiently execute them. The hydraulic launch for example was a great idea at the time yet most hydraulic launch coasters face considerable downtime. The accelerator trains were poorly designed as well, causing countless complaints about rider comfort (and don't get me started on the Skyrush trains). It seems that now oversees that they're learning from their mistakes, as they're back in the hydraulic launch game and they've redesigned their restraints to only have the lapbar portion. It's only a matter of time before we see them here again.

Also, I'm laughing at all of the B&M fanboys who seem to think that every mechanical thing Intamin touches will constantly be broken down. Yes, the Intamins here break down more often than other coasters, but as Robb once said have you ever seen the problems to this extent in Europe? The answer is no. They have more skilled mechanics who are better equipped to handle such complex rides, maintaining an Intamin really requires a specialized crew. The problem isn't that "Intamins are extremely unreliable", it's that "Intamins are extremely complex" and the U.S.' maintenance teams simply can't keep up right now.

Now, I'm not going to say anything else on this subject because that would belong in the "Intamin Drought" thread that popped up yesterday. Now, back to our regularly scheduled discussion....

Millennium Force and Maverick are my favorite rides at CP, but there's no doubt that the B&Ms are more reliable. MF doesn't seem to break down often, but Maverick does from time to time (same with Wicked Twister), and TTD seems to be closed more often than it is open.

At the end of the day, both companies make great rides. B&M's are more reliable and always a guest pleaser, while Intamin's are less reliable but seem to be a favorite amongst both the GP and enthusiasts. Just look at CP's social media pages. Anytime they ask "What's your favorite coaster?", 99% of people either respond MF, TTD, or Maverick.

Thank you! That gif made my day! I loves me some Minion!

I would still take a Intamin that is kick A$$ over a B&M. I will take a little down time for something epic. That is all.

Moving on has any one tried out the Slaughter house that is new this year

We tried Slaughter House this year and it was meh. Lots of fake blood and guts, carcasses hanging around and one fairly decent stunt near the end. The line moved fairly quickly once they got it opened and the views of Millennium Force running made the wait tolerable.

I think the problem with Intamin is that although they have the best designers in the world, their engineering is poor quality. They have great ideas, but they never efficiently execute them. The hydraulic launch for example was a great idea at the time yet most hydraulic launch coasters face considerable downtime. The accelerator trains were poorly designed as well, causing countless complaints about rider comfort (and don't get me started on the Skyrush trains). It seems that now oversees that they're learning from their mistakes, as they're back in the hydraulic launch game and they've redesigned their restraints to only have the lapbar portion. It's only a matter of time before we see them here again.

Also, I'm laughing at all of the B&M fanboys who seem to think that every mechanical thing Intamin touches will constantly be broken down. Yes, the Intamins here break down more often than other coasters, but as Robb once said have you ever seen the problems to this extent in Europe? The answer is no. They have more skilled mechanics who are better equipped to handle such complex rides, maintaining an Intamin really requires a specialized crew. The problem isn't that "Intamins are extremely unreliable", it's that "Intamins are extremely complex" and the U.S.' maintenance teams simply can't keep up right now.

Now, I'm not going to say anything else on this subject because that would belong in the "Intamin Drought" thread that popped up yesterday. Now, back to our regularly scheduled discussion....

Truthfully, I never had a problem with Intamin restraints. Noting your comment on Skyrush, I've never really had a problem with its restraints (but that's just me). If anything, B&M tends to have more uncomfortable restraints for me. In particular, their wing/dive/invert restraints tend to be uncomfortable and very tight sitting in the brake run. Their older OSTRs were always a bit bulky, and caused some headbang on older models, and don't get me started on Nitro's lapbars before they took off the stupid knob thingy.

I haven't had problems with CP restraints, with the exception that 2003 was the year of the staple (Dragster) seat check.

Skyrush, or Millennium Flyers, are the most uncomfortable restrictive restraints I've experienced.

(I'm also bothered during long drives if my waist-band seatbelt gets too tight. I find restrictions against my abdomen and thighs to be extremely uncomfortable.)

I still think it's funny that people complain about those restraints. Sure they're not *super* comfy, but they aren't painful, you just feel pressure on your thighs. Anyone who whines about the restraints at this point needs to grow a pair, because Skyrush is a beast of a mega coaster.

Anywho, is there any new footer work being done? Any idea what that giant hole is for from a few pages back?

I still think it's funny that people complain about those restraints. Sure they're not *super* comfy, but they aren't painful, you just feel pressure on your thighs. Anyone who whines about the restraints at this point needs to grow a pair, because Skyrush is a beast of a mega coaster.

The same people who complain "I want to go on something more thrilling than B&M Coaster 1." Are the same to complain about "Intamin Coaster 1 looks too intense for me!"

You can't please everyone. Especially whiny & entitled enthusiasts.

Skyrush is a beast of a ride, but in 2012 my feet felt like they were going to turn purple by the end of the ride. Still an amazing coaster, but similar to a standup coaster, it has a an issue with comfort that does take attention away from the stellar track design. Because of this, I rank it lower than rides like El Toro, WC, Bizarro, etc...

Quick question.....

If I have a platinum pass, is there a free upgrade on the fast lane from regular to fastlane plus?

There was last Saturday when I went. I bought my FL+ online, so I'm not sure if you can get the upgrade if you purchase it in the park. Also, I found this out the hard way, if you do get the FL+ upgrade, you have to redeem it at a ticket booth at a park entrance. The FL kiosks in the park will not redeem the tickets.

Quick question.....

If I have a platinum pass, is there a free upgrade on the fast lane from regular to fastlane plus?

There was last Saturday when I went. I bought my FL+ online, so I'm not sure if you can get the upgrade if you purchase it in the park. Also, I found this out the hard way, if you do get the FL+ upgrade, you have to redeem it at a ticket booth at a park entrance. The FL kiosks in the park will not redeem the tickets.

Awesome!

Thank you for the info.

I know I'm late to the party, but to be honest with you, I don't know if I like some of the elements on this coaster. It's a dive coaster with a zero-g roll, airtime hill, and dive loop. I've never ridden a dive coaster, but I can tell that dive loops, airtime hills, and zero-g rolls aren't the best elements to put on a dive coaster. It looked like it was just crawling through that zero-g roll on the animation video, and I feel like the trains weigh too much to go through those elements, especially towards the end of the ride when it starts to slow down. Immelmann's, Helix's, Splashdown's, and Overbanked Turns are really the only elements I could imagine feeling good on a dive coaster. It also kind of sucks that this coaster won't be having any theming, especially when compared to Griffon, SheiKra, & Krake.

Other than that, the first half of this coaster before the mid-course break run looks incredible, however I kind of wish it went under a tunnel on that first drop. At the end of the day, being a roller coaster enthusiast is all about having fun, & there's still no doubt that this roller coaster will be a really fun ride! Too many people out there, especially, ahem, ACEers & Coasterforcers, think that if a ride isn't "the best roller coaster in the world" that means it's a horrible ride. Even though this might not be a top 10 ride, I'm sure it will still be FUN!