TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Okay so stupid question... the park is opening tonight but do we know what rides are actually open? I know Friday nights are always "limited ride availability" during Haunt, but normally they put out a list and I don't see one this year.

On Friday nights, the following attractions are NOT open:

Antique Cars

Camp Snoopy

Cedar Creek Mine Ride

Cedar Point & Lake Erie Railroad

Corkscrew

Gemini

Giant Wheel

Sky Ride

Super Himalaya

Troika

Witches' Wheel

Source.

Good find, I knew it must be lying around somewhere...

Anyway wow! Unless I'm imagining things It seems like they expanded their Friday night ride lineup quite a bit. Obviously Rougarou's been added but I feel like a few others have as well (was Mean Streak always open on Fridays?).

That being said...

Sky Ride

...ahem, excuse me? Oh, well screw Halloweekends then. I'm boycotting this entire event.

Honestly the Super Himalaya one is kind of odd... obviously this has to do with staffing but I'm sure that ride only needs one op. They probably figured it's basically the same thing as Matterhorn though and to be fair they're kind of right.

Then again... who really cares.

JRice92 - Just wanted to say that we saw you at MF this summer, and you were doing an amazing job. You really do seem like you LOVE your job! You seemed to keep everyone at MF super pumped to ride the ride!

Also... Am I the only one who noticed the split in the cat walk that shows room for the water scoops on the back of the trains? Obviously I know there will be no water splash on this coaster. . . but it makes me wonder why they rendered the coaster with the space for the water scoops in the catwalks. Those of you who are familiar with Dive Machines will know what I am talking about in the image below...

vrvn.png.7245873767656f3042e6d0cfb1b78050.png

WWWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYY?????????

JRice92 - Just wanted to say that we saw you at MF this summer, and you were doing an amazing job. You really do seem like you LOVE your job! You seemed to keep everyone at MF super pumped to ride the ride!

Thank you! I love working for Cedar Point, I'm happy to see it shows.

Good find, I knew it must be lying around somewhere...

Anyway wow! Unless I'm imagining things It seems like they expanded their Friday night ride lineup quite a bit. Obviously Rougarou's been added but I feel like a few others have as well (was Mean Streak always open on Fridays?).

That being said...

Sky Ride

...ahem, excuse me? Oh, well screw Halloweekends then. I'm boycotting this entire event.

The Sky Ride is open on Saturdays, weather permitting, which may well be a factor today.

Lol yeah I know, though they don't seem to run it much in September and October. On days where there's a chance it won't operate all day or the wind speed is borderline they usually don't open it at all. I get it... Staff is needed elsewhere but that always annoyed me.

Thank you! I love working for Cedar Point, I'm happy to see it shows.

How long did it take you to move up to Millennium Force? I'm about to start school for the amusement park industry and i'm moving from Memphis, TN to Sandusky this summer to work at the point.

Not only is it one of my dream jobs but I feel like it would do me some good for my resume. Obviously, I would love to operate rides as a machinery geek, but I'm sure you have to start somewhere and move up. I'd be happy to work anywhere at the point anyways though.

Just waiting out the rain in our room at the Breakers. I saw this outside a shop this morning and thought, if this doesn't prove P. T. Barnum right then I don't know what else would. Mr. Peabody says, "If you don't want to get scared, save yourself $8 and stay out of the park after dark." Fiscally sound and makes for fewer strollers to dodge in the outdoor scare zones. Makes too much sense for the GP mind to grasp, I guess.

20150919_112405.thumb.jpg.3f240954cbade79b3c1395604a3ddbb8.jpg

Basic GP intelligence test.

20150919_114800.thumb.jpg.a0d851736bfea85202694eaf1670beae.jpg

I believe someone wondered whether an old Mantis car would show up at Halloweekends.

^ Not going to lie... I love that they put a skeleton in the 'seat' for Mantis instead of just throwing the front of the car out there. I wonder if it will stay this way year after year, or if they are going to end up getting a tombstone for Mantis too, and end up doing away with the front of the train...

How long did it take you to move up to Millennium Force? I'm about to start school for the amusement park industry and i'm moving from Memphis, TN to Sandusky this summer to work at the point.

Not only is it one of my dream jobs but I feel like it would do me some good for my resume. Obviously, I would love to operate rides as a machinery geek, but I'm sure you have to start somewhere and move up. I'd be happy to work anywhere at the point anyways though.

Actually you can get hired onto the big rides from the get go. I've had a ton of previous work experience but this is my first year in any amusement park and I got hired straight in to work Millennium Force from the start. From what I understand there's always a certain amount of spots on every ride held for first years. So it doesn't matter who you are, your first year you have an equal chance to work any ride in the park.

I don't know how it works at CP, but a ride op at Gadv told me that they take some sort of analysis test to see which ride they would operate best or something like that. Depending on your answers you could get assigned any coaster

It's way simpler than that at Cedar Point my ride placement after I was hired went something like this.

Manager: Would you like to work with more children or adults?

Me: Adults

Manager: Are you afraid of heights, if need be could you climb steps on on lift hill

Me: I'm not afraid of heights, I'd have no problem waking up a lift.

Manager: Would you like to work on a slow paced, medium paced, or fast pased ride?

Me: Fast Paced!

Manager: Ok, I'm placing you on Millennium Force, does that sound good!

Me: YES! YES! YES! Yessssssssssssss! Ahem, yes that works for me.

Aye, back when I was hired they did a phone interview with some basic personality questions. Then they placed me at Thunder Canyon. After awhile they needed help at Magnum and I volunteered to work there. The crew liked me, I liked them, and they hired someone new to stay at TC instead of Magnum.

Also, there is usually plenty of opportunities to cross train on other attractions. I worked Camp Snoopy, Thunder Canyon, Magnum, Corkscrew, Maverick, and Mantis while I was at the park. Just let management know you're interested and they are usually happy to accommodate when possible.

I don't know how it works at CP, but a ride op at Gadv told me that they take some sort of analysis test to see which ride they would operate best or something like that. Depending on your answers you could get assigned any coaster

It's way simpler than that at Cedar Point my ride placement after I was hired went something like this.

Manager: Would you like to work with more children or adults?

Me: Adults

Manager: Are you afraid of heights, if need be could you climb steps on on lift hill

Me: I'm not afraid of heights, I'd have no problem waking up a lift.

Manager: Would you like to work on a slow paced, medium paced, or fast pased ride?

Me: Fast Paced!

Manager: Ok, I'm placing you on Millennium Force, does that sound good!

Me: YES! YES! YES! Yessssssssssssss! Ahem, yes that works for me.

Hell yeah! that makes me so much more excited to go. Do you enjoy the dorms or do you prefer an apartment?