TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Too bad because they have plenty of land as well as an opportunity to really have the best dive coaster in the world!

It looks like one hell of a coaster that is likely to be extremely fun. Isn't that the essence of a roller coaster? Valravn is obviously not the next big revolutionary ride in the park, and not every ride needs to be.

I would like Griffon's if they had been able to scoot it a few feet forward so it didn't hit the track awkwardly like this

20100109210917!GriffonSplashdown.jpg

Really? I thought that was kinda cool and added to the uniqueness of the ride, in addition to the sky ride going through the ride! Great example of awesome integration of a coaster into it's surroundings. I understand your point, though Always nice to hear different POVs.

Just wish that one of the inversions on Valravn was different than Gatekeeper. That alone - even without the addition of a tunnel or splashdown - would have eased my disappointment.

Immelmann - check

Dive loop - check

Heartline roll - check

Every looping coaster at the park has had corkscrews. Valravn is the first to go without one, that should be something positive to you. Rougarou & Raptor both start with loops, no one's ever been "disappointing" by those striking similarities. Mantis and GateKeeper both have dive loops, I've never heard anyone knock the rides because of those striking similarities.

So the complaint of Valravn has the same inversions as GateKeeper (dive loop/immelmann), which has the same inversions as Maverick(corkscrews), which has the same inversions of Rougarou(corkscrews), which has the same inversions as Ratptor(loop/corkscrews), which has the same inversions Corkscrew(loop/corkscrews) is over 20 years late.

So I fail to see how it took 20+ years for you to be "disappointed", are you just now noticing these things?

Just wish that one of the inversions on Valravn was different than Gatekeeper. That alone - even without the addition of a tunnel or splashdown - would have eased my disappointment.

Immelmann - check

Dive loop - check

Heartline roll - check

Every looping coaster at the park has had corkscrews. Valravn is the first to go without one, that should be something positive to you. Rougarou & Raptor both start with loops, no one's ever been "disappointing" by those striking similarities. Mantis and GateKeeper both have dive loops, I've never heard anyone knock the rides because of those striking similarities.

So the complaint of Valravn has the same inversions as GateKeeper (dive loop/immelmann), which has the same inversions as Maverick(corkscrews), which has the same inversions of Rougarou(corkscrews), which has the same inversions as Ratptor(loop/corkscrews), which has the same inversions Corkscrew(loop/corkscrews) is over 20 years late.

So I fail to see how it took 20+ years for you to be "disappointed", are you just now noticing these things?

But don't you know? How DARE two roller coasters have the same elements! Gosh, parks are so unoriginal these days!

If me thinking that two coasters in the same park built within three years of each other by the same manufacturer with similar train style should not have repeating elements makes me one of those "entitled enthusiasts" folks around here lament about, then so be it. I apologize. I'll shut up and submit to the unimaginative minds at B&M and Cedar Point.

The coaster agent is ready to make a report! A week ago I went to Cedar point and rode the Gate Keeper. I was very disappointed...don`t get me wrong ...the design is great ...but the trains have a problem. there is too much play between the cars, which produces a jerking motion when the cars catch up to each other. After the first drop I was ready to get off.The rest of the ride was a neck whipping head slapper. My solution would be to change the coupling to a ball joint configuration to eliminate the loose coupling....The floorless Mantis "poor" It looses momentum half way through the ride." Boring"

Cedar Point simply accepts or rejects a company's, in this case B&M, proposal. They do not provide a laundry list of elements needed, but more or less a list of things they are trying to achieve such as capacity, visuals from the midway, intensity level, etc.. Regarding how unimaginative some of the elements are, dive coasters and wing coasters use a very wide train. This dramatically limits the feasibility of certain elements. RMCs, for example, have the sleeker train design that is much easier to design quirky and unique elements around. Valravn in the eyes of the general public is about that huge intense vertical drop, not about a corkscrew or an immelman turn that is also on other coasters in the park. Everything beyond that drop is icing on the cake.

I see this addition out of the "three" B&Ms over the past few years as probably the most successful for Cedar Point.

For all you color haters out there:

It's funny that people are so up in arms about having two coasters of similar color in the same park. Iron Dragon and TTD are right next to each other with similar colors, but no one complained about that. Then you have parks like BGW that can't seem to stop building blue coasters, but people don't hate on it.

Also the Valrvn track looks coser to brown to me than orange, but then again, Alpengeist has blue supports that I and many other people see as more greenish, so meh.

For all you color haters out there:

It's funny that people are so up in arms about having two coasters of similar color in the same park. Iron Dragon and TTD are right next to each other with similar colors, but no one complained about that. Then you have parks like BGW that can't seem to stop building blue coasters, but people don't hate on it.

Also the Valrvn track looks coser to brown to me than orange, but then again, Alpengeist has blue supports that I and many other people see as more greenish, so meh.

If a park would build seven "insert favorite coaster here" no one would say anything. Gotta love that enthusiast logic.

I find it interesting how the zero-g rolls into a downwards curve, and then straight into a camelback. There are lots of unique forces & transitions in such a small amount of time. Should be a very fun ride. Easily the best second half to any dive coaster.

Cedar Point simply accepts or rejects a company's, in this case B&M, proposal. They do not provide a laundry list of elements needed, but more or less a list of things they are trying to achieve such as capacity, visuals from the midway, intensity level, etc.

Those that glossed over this please re-read it carefully

Are any of the HalloWeekend shows worth seeing? I'm not a big haunted house person and the group I'm going with definitely isn't either, but is there any HalloWeekend stuff that is can't miss?

The "Edge of Madness" show in the Red Garter Saloon is pretty well done. Last year the Midnight Syndicate show in the Good Times Theater was excellent. I hope they bring it back in a different venue. If you don't like the haunted mazes proper, at least walk through the outdoor themed areas as they have no queues. We're going this weekend and can't wait.

The "Edge of Madness" show in the Red Garter Saloon is pretty well done.

You think? Last year I didn't see it but the year before that it was not too bad. I sat through about two songs yesterday and left... The acoustics/audio was just terrible and the show to me feels awkward... Poor song selection (from what I sat through) and aside from the face paint it doesn't feel very HalloWeekends.... It is by far my least favorite "attraction" for HalloWeekends. Perhaps it will get better after some more practice/tuning, but that show/venue never really impress me to begin with.

Really going to miss Midnight Syndicate this year... Highlight of last year for sure... That show was on a different level to all the others at the park, it was amazing.

I would like Griffon's if they had been able to scoot it a few feet forward so it didn't hit the track awkwardly like this

20100109210917!GriffonSplashdown.jpg

Really? I thought that was kinda cool and added to the uniqueness of the ride, in addition to the sky ride going through the ride! Great example of awesome integration of a coaster into it's surroundings. I understand your point, though Always nice to hear different POVs.

I can honestly say that I have never devoted a second of thought to the aesthetics of Griffon's spray "awkwardly" hitting the track . . . but now I find it infuriating and distracting to my enjoyment of the ride.

Although extremely late to the Valraven celebration (or b*tch fest, depending on where you are), I am VERY happy to see this coaster.

It looks great visually and is in a cool location. It fills a niche of coaster not already present at Cedar Point. It will be a very reliable ride.

And, most importantly, it will be a great ride experience -- Griffon and Sheikra kick butt.

I do think 1,200 pph is optimistic and a little low for Cedar Point crowds -- it won't be the people eaters that Gatekeeper, Raptor and Magnum are, but enough to handle crowds on most days.