TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Dive machines are solid coasters, period. Out of any B&M design Cedar Point doesn't have, that's the one I'd have picked, closely followed by a Fury-like hyper. I'm surprised they didn't do a tunnel for the second drop, but I really like the dive loop/roll-over combination. This will be a crowd-pleaser for sure. I've only ridden Griffon, but I definitely wouldn't say that is forceless. The drop is actually quite stomach-levitating, and there were some decent forces in the inversions.

Dive machines are solid coasters, period. Out of any B&M design Cedar Point doesn't have, that's the one I'd have picked, closely followed by a Fury-like hyper. I'm surprised they didn't do a tunnel for the second drop, but I really like the dive loop/roll-over combination. This will be a crowd-pleaser for sure. I've only ridden Griffon, but I definitely wouldn't say that is forceless. The drop is actually quite stomach-levitating, and there were some decent forces in the inversions.

I think the dive loop --> zero g combo is the best part of the ride imo. Sure to give lots of unique forces on the outer seats, not to mention disorientating. And immelmann's on dive coasters have near floater at the top to allow the train to roll at an appropriate/comfortable acceleration.

I'm personally a drop-tower sucker, so when it's combined with a coaster, it's sure to be good.

Why are people so obsessed with tunnels and splashdowns? Griffon doesn't have a tunnle, and people love that ride. It's splashdowns is in a stupid location that makes the water hit the track in an awkward way that is not as visually stunning as SheiKra or Diamondback. I remember watching Griffon test right after they filled the pool and thinking "wow that's a little ghetto, and looked better when it was dry testing."

Would a tunnle have added even a tiny amount of thrill? Would a splash down have actually made the ride feel different? No. They are visual gimmicks only.

If you think this ride isn't going to be visually stunning to watch from the many vantage points they are building, then you and I are looking at different concept art. This is going to be one of the most photogenic rides in the world.

And I say all this as someone who isn't a big fan of Dive Machines.

At least they are putting the ride on top of grass. They could've pulled a Six Flags and put it over parking lot.

On you mean like "SCREAM"

I always thought that was theming, like "Screaming in the Parking Lot". I'll have to check my sources..

Edited by Nickstroberg

Would a tunnle have added even a tiny amount of thrill? Would a splash down have actually made the ride feel different? No. They are visual gimmicks only.

While I'm not one of those people saying a tunnel or splashdown would suddenly make this ride perfect, a tunnel CAN add a lot to a ride. The sudden increase in noise, decrease in light, and closeness of your surroundings adds to the feeling of speed and sensory overload. Splashdowns though I agree with you on, I would prefer they leave the splashdown out. They don't get you wet and you can hardly even see the splash from most seats.

Why are people so obsessed with tunnels and splashdowns? Griffon doesn't have a tunnle, and people love that ride. It's splashdowns is in a stupid location that makes the water hit the track in an awkward way that is not as visually stunning as SheiKra or Diamondback. I remember watching Griffon test right after they filled the pool and thinking "wow that's a little ghetto, and looked better when it was dry testing."

If you think this ride isn't going to be visually stunning to watch from the many vantage points they are building, then you and I are looking at different concept art. This is going to be one of the most photogenic rides in the world.

I'm gonna be honest, Diamondback's splashdown is even more pointless than Griffon's. Honestly they don't really do anything for the ride experience, and it's purely visual, which you can't even see unless you're not on the ride. It also serves a mechanical purpose, acting as a brake though Shambhala's isn't even natural

It is nice to hear CP is joining the dive coaster crowd, and I'll never prefer NOT installing a coaster over getting it put in, but couldn't they have done something to make this ride a little more "unique" to the park? I agree the length is nice, I like that they went for records, but besides those records, what makes this ride stand out from other dive coasters at other parks?

I feel like with Gatekeeper and Valveronenomen (whatever) they have kinda sorta bought in to the cookie cutter concept of these rides, and I would have been more excited for this ride (and GateKeeper) if it would have had ride elements exclusive to the park (not necessarily a tunnel or water element). For example, why the immediate lead to a brake run so soon after the first drop? Flirt around with that speed a little bit! Have some high speed turns close to the ground, an airtime hill, or some quick "through the rocks" elements like Maverick to separate this ride from others B&M has made. How about digging into the ground a bit and making the coaster go below the natural grade so you see a little bit of land zooming by? There's little things they can do to really increase the differentiation in these rides, and I don't think those little things are done.

It really feels like the park is winging it when it comes to the last 2 B&M installations, it feels like there's no icing on the cake. Kinda more feels like taking a prebuilt coaster in RCT and plopping it on flat land. Again, it's nice to hear about this installation, but the typical B&M cookie cutter plop down just isn't going to get me to want to visit sooner than later.

According to Thrill Factor, tunnels actually do change the way out bodies react to the ride.

But in reality its only a small change in thrill, and they were testing it on a coaster that had multiple longer tunnels. (Can't recall which one)

I'm gonna be honest, Diamondback's splashdown is even more pointless than Griffon's. Honestly they don't really do anything for the ride experience, and it's purely visual, which you can't even see unless you're not on the ride. It also serves a mechanical purpose, acting as a brake though Shambhala's isn't even natural

Disagree, both splashdowns are awesome and provide a good visual for spectators. I like them both.

Disagree, both splashdowns are awesome and provide a good visual for spectators. I like them both.

I agree with your disagreement. Splashdowns are awesome. Especially if you are sitting in the front row, you feel like you are skimming across the water. It not only is awesome visually OFF the ride, but it is awesome visually in the front row of the ride. Splashdowns are highly underrated.

^Cedar Creek Mine ride and Maverick have interactive water elements. I do agree that going across the creek front row on CCMR is like gliding over the water, one of the best parts of that coaster.

Millennium Force, Magnum, and Maverick all have tunnels. They neither make or break their respective rides, only add to it. If they weren't there I wouldn't think any less of them. A splashdown if visually nice when viewing as a bystander, but does not add to the on-ride experience at all on Diamondback. So it's no loss. Who needs splashdowns & tunnels when you have a two big ass drops, lots of airtime, and lots of twistyness? The more elements that enhance the on-ride experience, and less of the useless off-ride gimmicks, the better imo.

^Cedar Creek Mine ride and Maverick have interactive water elements. I do agree that going across the creek front row on CCMR is like gliding over the water, one of the best parts of that coaster.

Millennium Force, Magnum, and Maverick all have tunnels. They neither make or break their respective rides, only add to it. If they weren't there I wouldn't think any less of them. A splashdown if visually nice when viewing as a bystander, but does not add to the on-ride experience at all on Diamondback. So it's no loss. Who needs splashdowns & tunnels when you have a two big A$$ drops, lots of airtime, and lots of twistyness? The more elements that enhance the on-ride experience, and less of the useless off-ride gimmicks, the better imo.

Are you referring to CCMR's water element as the glide over the water? I wasn't sure what you meant.

Are you referring to CCMR's water element as the glide over the water? I wasn't sure what you meant.

I do agree that going across the creek front row on CCMR is like gliding over the water, one of the best parts of that coaster.

Yes, that's what I meant.

I agree with your disagreement. Splashdowns are awesome. Especially if you are sitting in the front row, you feel like you are skimming across the water. It not only is awesome visually OFF the ride, but it is awesome visually in the front row of the ride. Splashdowns are highly underrated.

I forgot to mention that this was all speculative, as I've never actually experienced one. I was going off POV's where you can't really see anything but I guess if you have the panoramic view from your eyes you can actually see it. My bad, minor miscommunication there

I do like splashdowns, but I don't think they're 100% necessary just because a particular model of coaster can have one. Also, I would like Griffon's if they had been able to scoot it a few feet forward so it didn't hit the track awkwardly like this

20100109210917!GriffonSplashdown.jpg

I feel that the "chop" the water takes disrupts the image of the rooster tails shooting up, and the effect is MUCH stronger on SheiKra where this doesn't happen. (Honestly, I like SheiKra better than Griffon, even though technically Griffon is the 'more advanced' model with an extra loop and wider trains).

5208745885_fa175990bb_b.jpg

If they did a tunnel, even above ground, at the bottom of the first drop (ala Beast) it would be enough to increase thrill/fear effect. The width of the cars would have a bonus effect of making the opening seem shorter as well.

A splash-down is great for bystanders but irrelevant to the ride itself.

I love how a majority of people in the splashdown photos are raising their feet as if the water would actually hit them if they kept them hanging how they are.

Kinda how if you ride Goliath at Magic Mountain people lower their hands in the tunnel because they think their hands are gonna get chopped off.

Lots of things CP coulda done to make Verkopengloff stand out, but like Gatekeeper, it's going to be another dive machine that breaks records and is long but is not going to be the be all to the ones added to other parks in the future. Too bad because they have plenty of land as well as an opportunity to really have the best dive coaster in the world!