TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

The discussion about "who's better?" and basing it solely around the coasters there is lame anyways. That's not to say that one park is clearly better than the other in terms of that contest (OK, OK, I'd probably vouch for CP here over Magic Mountain almost any day) but there's so much more to Cedar Point as a destination in comparison to Magic Mountain. So much more.

Can anyone estimate based off the pictures how tall the second vertical drop is?

Valravn's first drop rests 3 meters off the ground, so it's safe to assume the second one does as well. The second drop's hill is 131' (40m), minus 3 meters, gives you a second drop of 121.4' (37m) vertical.

Why do people call it YOLOcoaster and not F*ll Thr*ttle?

Because humor

Because YOLOcoaster is a way better name than the one Six Flags gave it. I always refer to it as YOLOcoaster even in actual speech, and I sometimes forget what the real name is.

But back to Cedar Point: I'm actually really excited to have a dive coaster within driving distance. I've heard nothing but good things about the two Busch Gardens dive coasters, but they're both a LONG way from me, and I won't likely have time or money to go to those parks any time soon. Cedar Point, on the other hand, is a reachable destination. So for me, having a fun coaster type at a fantastic park that is reasonable to expect to be able to get to within the next couple of years is a HUGE announcement (even if it was heavily rumoured before).

And let's face it: All of you who are saying "But we've already been on dive coasters in Virginia and Florida--this sucks" are going to go on Valravn, and you're going to like it. Maybe not be in love with it, but you're going to have fun. And that makes Valravn awesome.

The posts going after complainers outnumber the actual "complaints" (of which there are actually not that many). Whats funny to me is that you guys all see when moderators have to combat negativity on other threads where it's actually an issue and are so hell-bent on being "good fans" that you shoot down everyone with a slightly less-than-positive thing to say on threads where negativity isn't even that big a deal. Like some of the first posts were attacking complaints that hadn't even happened yet! On some threads, the complaining is funny, but this thread is built on people getting super defensive and taking a proactive stance against a tiny population of posters who have a less-than-thrilled opinion. Lolz

But to the topic, I think this is a weird addition to CP. Dive coasters are great, dont get me wrong, but I dont feel the need to suck up to it like you guys do. Its big trick is the vertical drop, which two coasters in the park already have. Dont get me wrong, these are GREAT rides (I love Sheikra) but at Cedar Point, it seems a little redundant. Then again, what don't they have there? Not much more they can do, the park has a great variety going for it which is awesome. I also think the layout is the best of any dive machine yet, theming does nothing for me unless it's Disney or Universal...I mean, cmon, what constitutes theming at CP? A couple cutouts and props? That's not enough to make or break a ride. Can't wait to ride (hopefully) next summer. Oh, and that view going into the first drop is awesome

Does YOLOcoaster have fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo available before you ride?

Is there a place to eat Onion Rings near Full Throttle? Perhaps near the lockers ?

(Some one on the Darien Lake thread kept accidentally discovering all these filters and s/he was getting pretty mad, this is just like that, but more fun!)

Does YOLOcoaster have fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo available before you ride?

Is there a place to eat Onion Rings near Full Throttle? Perhaps near the lockers ?

(Some one on the Darien Lake thread kept accidentally discovering all these filters and s/he was getting pretty mad, this is just like that, but more fun!)

The posts going after complainers outnumber the actual "complaints" (of which there are actually not that many).
This. It's more annoying to read complaints about complaints than the actual "complaints" themselves. But now I'm complaining about complaining about complaints lol

I asked this several pages back but it got lost in the MANY pages of discussion lol! Is the second immelmann where Wildcat was? If not, which part of Valravn covers that former plot?

Yes, that's about where the Wildcat was located. It was almost directly across the path from the Iron Dragon station, you can actually still see it on street view if you really want a closer look.

The posts going after complainers outnumber the actual "complaints" (of which there are actually not that many). Whats funny to me is that you guys all see when moderators have to combat negativity on other threads where it's actually an issue and are so hell-bent on being "good fans" that you shoot down everyone with a slightly less-than-positive thing to say on threads where negativity isn't even that big a deal. Like some of the first posts were attacking complaints that hadn't even happened yet! On some threads, the complaining is funny, but this thread is built on people getting super defensive and taking a proactive stance against a tiny population of posters who have a less-than-thrilled opinion. Lolz

The posts going after complainers outnumber the actual "complaints" (of which there are actually not that many).
This. It's more annoying to read complaints about complaints than the actual "complaints" themselves. But now I'm complaining about complaining about complaints lol

I asked this several pages back but it got lost in the MANY pages of discussion lol! Is the second immelmann where Wildcat was? If not, which part of Valravn covers that former plot?

No, Wildcat was further down, where the grandstand to watch Luminosity is now. Essentially, that second immelmann will be right next to where Wildcat was. It remains in the footprint of the former IMAX building, and surrounding queue areas. If you look on the current Google satellite view, you can see really well where Wildcat used to be, in that area between the trees next to the theater, and the bathroom (and Wildcat is still there on the Street View, as was mentioned previously.) Those trees are still mostly shown in the Valravn images, with the immelmann going just to the East of them towards the midway.

Why do people keep referring to a second immelmann? There's no second immelmann...

I just referred to it as he did, since I was responding to his post. But if it makes your day brighter... The dive loop extended out to just next to where Wildcat used to be, still occupying the footprint that the theater, and its surrounding area did.

So, in my 33 years of going to Cedar Point, I've never parked at the Marina, nor gone over there at all. I've never been to either restaurant. Are people able to park over there if they are just going to the park? Or, if it's reserved for Marina and restaurant visitors, can you go to the restaurant, and then enter the park while still parked there?

I'm just curious, because it seems like the Marina Entrance will be a really cool way to enter the park now, but if your only way to do so is either park up front and walk all the way down there, or take a boat to CP, then it seems like very few people will get to appreciate that view/experience...

You can tell who has never ridden a DM by their comments.

This coaster is going to be top five in the park, its not "going to be a coaster like Rougarou and Gatekeeper"

This coaster will provide a great ride experience...

And it will draw the lines away from the classics opening day

True. I managed to ride 150+ coasters, but didn't ride my first dive machine until this year when we rode Griffin. I wasn't looking forward to it at all. For its size it looked somewhat slow, floaty, and boring. However, when my wife and I took our first ride we LOVED it! These coasters aren't about raw I305 intensity. They're just fun and packed with good floater B&M airtime. I definitely enjoyed Griffin and I'm looking forward to CP's new Dive Machine.

Edited by prozach626

Maybe they will remove the "eyesore" Cedars dorms and put in a new "eyesore" parking garage?

I feel like they need to do something for parking. When we were there doing our VIP Tour, our VIP Tour guide informed us that they were having people wait at the toll booth for parking because they were out of parking. Every parking lot was full, including the "overflow" lots, and the backup lots. Granted this was just one day out of the season, so there may not be a huge need for it, but I could see in the future needing something for parking...

^Granted that will happen again when you get those nice Saturdays in October and Halloweekends gets insanely crowded. Remember it was just a few years ago it took people hours to get off the peninsula after the park closed due to the traffic.

To me it seems inevitable that they will have to build an overflow lot on the mainland and shuttle guests in.

Thank you. It's that weird "the sun rises and sets over Ohio" kool-aid thing. The defensiveness almost seems like a weird combination of super-personal and political; it's like important people are personally watching over how people react and go after complaints and will reward them. I mean, we're just giving our opinions. Yes, we get that "the park is not there to fit our personal needs at the moment," but we are coaster coaster/park fans here.

But to the topic, I think this is a weird addition to CP. Dive coasters are great, dont get me wrong, but I dont feel the need to suck up to it like you guys do. Its big trick is the vertical drop, which two coasters in the park already have. Dont get me wrong, these are GREAT rides (I love Sheikra) but at Cedar Point, it seems a little redundant. Then again, what don't they have there? Not much more they can do, the park has a great variety going for it which is awesome. I also think the layout is the best of any dive machine yet, theming does nothing for me unless it's Disney or Universal...I mean, cmon, what constitutes theming at CP? A couple cutouts and props? That's not enough to make or break a ride. Can't wait to ride (hopefully) next summer. Oh, and that view going into the first drop is awesome

We "complain" because we know the park can do so much better. It still feels strange to me (as a coaster/park fan) that Cedar Fair hasn't put in a really great coaster. Even stranger they would "redo" Blue Streak (I know, it's been almost 20 years) so it's no longer a classic and remove an awesome "classic" Anton coaster; I mean, they could have kept both of them with the resources they have. You would think they would want to have those accolades; they are trading variety and historic points for bare-bones, same-y B&M stuff. I know MF and Maverick are very popular, but they just don't cut it for many of us (yes, I know they "are not here to please us" and all that crap). Holiday World's Thunderbird runs circles around Gatekeeper; it doesn't have to be Disney (or a European park), just put a little heart into it. Saying CP is not a theme park is a lame excuse. If there were to be no themeing at CP, Valravn should be called "Typical giant loopy B&M coaster on plain, tree-less lawn" (just like Banshee).

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Cedar Point. But I'm still a coaster/park fan and this is a place to voice critical opinion.

Edited by AirMBTB

... Its big trick is the vertical drop...

Actually I think its "big trick" is the holding brake before the vertical drop. The holding brake is what sets Dive Machines aside from other coasters with vertical drops. People really under estimate the power of the holding brake.

... Its big trick is the vertical drop...

Actually I think its "big trick" is the holding brake before the vertical drop. The holding brake is what sets Dive Machines aside from other coasters with vertical drops. People really under estimate the power of the holding brake.

It's basically a drop tower with two drops and a lengthy layout following. Win, win, win.