TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I made a ten year plan... (Sorry for all caps I have a habit of doing that)

2025 - Destroy Blue Streak (Rebuild Out & Back Wooden Coaster - Faster And More Comfortable)

BS is a classic and will be going nowhere anytime soon. That would destroy history!

I agree. I think it's extremely unlikely they remove Blue Streak anytime in the near future.

I made a ten year plan... (Sorry for all caps I have a habit of doing that)

2025 - Destroy Blue Streak (Rebuild Out & Back Wooden Coaster - Faster And More Comfortable)

BS is a classic and will be going nowhere anytime soon. That would destroy history!

I agree. I think it's extremely unlikely they remove Blue Streak anytime in the near future.

I agree as well. If Cedar Point is going to demolish or renovate any wooden coaster, it needs to be Mean Streak.

Re: Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby baileybrucem » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:39 pm

Coastin Eric wrote:

My only real thought is maybe there's something themed around death for the new coaster? It is a dark theme, so I guess that's possible.

The name of the coaster is Valravn, so perhaps they are thinking about retheming because ravens are supposed to bring, you know, death.

This is the most ridiculous situation, and the Roller Coaster Capital of the World doesn't need this. So so so so so frustrating.

Postby rcoaster10 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:51 pm

It really makes me wonder if a rename is going to happen considering Valravn, like others said, is a name completely correleated to death. (Ravens who consume the bodies of the dead on the battlefield) Especially being so close to Raptor as well, they might just be trying to avoid any further trouble. Just speculating but it's an idea.

by boldikus » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:31 pm

I see a re-theme coming for sure. No matter how the park could spin it, unfortunately the media will not be able to report on the announcement of the new coaster without mention of the incident. I don't think the media or GP is making it out to be the parks fault, in general people seem to agree the guy did something he was not supposed to. Most comments I see on news sites and social media are "such a stupid thing to do, etc". I'm honestly surprised how minimal the "roller coasters need to be torn down" stuff is with this one - Talon getting stuck on the lift in the rain last week made all the local news around here and the comments on the sites were out of control.

But the media will be quick to point out the theme of the ride and how it connects to the death and it makes the park look insensitive. It's unfortunate for the park, but it's unavoidable. CP's PR team knows this and no doubt they are making some adjustments behind the scenes. Honestly, it doesn't really matter since they haven't confirmed anything about the ride so they can still change/do whatever they want.

by DonkeysWaffles » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:46 pm

chickenbowl wrote:

DonkeysWaffles wrote:

I think Valravn is going to be used in 2017 for Kings Dominion or Canada's Wonderland's new coaster.

What're you talking about? The logo was leaked and it says Cedar Point. The name is the ONE thing that you can be sure of! You think they would ditch the name last minute?? Haha no way!

Snowball's chance in hell they'll use it for the dive coaster. Do you realize that their reputation could be tarnished if they decided to use a name associated with death just days after someone died at their park? It will be either Centurion or "Lake Erie Monster" or something of that sort.

by PhantomPoster32 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:55 pm

FaithPlus1 wrote:

Why on Earth would they change the name just because some idiot did this to himself?

The death made it on national news tonight if you don't think the same media that had a field day with numerous topics this summer wouldn't go to town with a coaster themed to a death omen when someone just died at the park...

by Halogen » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:50 am

We know that due to this incident, the name Valravn is likely to be scrapped. Does anybody have an idea of what name the dive coaster will go by? I'm thinking Centurion, as Cedar Fair trademarked that name with Fury 325, and it would fit well with the colour scheme and the names of rides within the park.

by whatabeast » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:37 pm

I know countless people are about to call me an idiot, but I honestly think the name "valravn" was a bad idea in the first place. I mean seriously, the word literally translates to "death bird." That's very different from something like Centurion, which, yes, killed people, but doesn't literally translate to "Killer Roman."

I'm not saying they should change the name, I'm just saying that, with a lot of people unreasonably afraid of roller coasters as it is AND a recent death at the park... "Raven of Death" is (--not probably is, not might be-- is) a marketing nightmare.

grsupercity » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:12 am

So we think there going to keep the name Valravn?

ImmelMatt » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:43 pm

Brassinthegrass wrote:

I think this might turn into this years Tempesto... So I look forward to watching Cedar Points new lawn ornament being built... At least we have a really good view from the main land!

CP isn't going to sit on the announcement that long, but they'll need to wait until they're done with the rebranding.

by Furion » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:01 pm

c

oasterbill wrote:

SbSteveZ wrote:

Please tell me when you say "I'm not buying this" you aren't meaning that you're on the "they're changing the name" side...

Oh god no, I just don't buy into that crappy logo. I feel like everything about this ride has been uncovered and they threw up a quick, fake logo to make people second guess the leak kind of like what Kings Island did.

That's the same logo that was on the VR Goggles that CP sent out earlier this month, which matches the crown on the Raven's head in the leaked logo. It was likely added to that page as teaser and not supposed to look "quick" or "fake", as I'd imagine it's officially part of the overall branding of the new ride...

by maverick_cp » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:01 pm

robbalvey wrote:

It's back on! Got my invite for the announcement new date!

I don't know guys, something about this picture makes me think that maybe it was changed. The graphic design of this countdown teaser thing makes me think of like medieval or vikings or something... it looks completely different from designs of the teasers before it... But it might just be me. I don't know. Now I'm rambling.

by Skylarsnyder1999 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:33 pm

Any guesses as to the name of the dive coaster???? I heard they ditched valravyn.....

Compilation of idiot name-change posts!

I mean, even Millennium Force has a "toaster oven" station, fairly basic trains, and nothing really out on the course

I normally agree with you but I have to step in here...

Millennium Force is a highly themed journey back in time to an island filled with dinosaurs. The name makes perfect sense too as they never specified which Millennium they were referring to. Everyone misses the theme because they incorrectly assume they were talking about this Millennium.

I'm late, but this is the best post on TPR and it needs to be posted again.

As for Valravn, I think it looks great! The logo looks really impressive and the holding brake at 223 feet in the air is going to be awesome.

I'm a really big fan of the vest restraints. I'm curious to see how they work out with a dive coaster.

I meant the posts were idiotic not the people.

Ok, that's a little better... I just think sometimes Coaster Enthusiast forums can be so nasty, and our hobby is supposed to just be a fun diversion from the harsh realities of life.

This is a pet peeve of mine as well. Calling what they did idiotic is not the same thing as calling them idiots altogether.

Btw, super stoked about Cedar Point's decision. One thing I don't understand is how people predict exactly what is coming. For example, Dollywood's Lightning Rod was the first of its kind, yet people still were about to predict the name and type of ride. Even with the leaks, Valravn still wasn't clear. I'm very impressed with the people who are able accomplish this.

I think this could be a good addition for Cedar Point. I know a lot of people are disappointed with the layout, the trains, name, color scheme, lack of tunnel or splashdown, etc., but I think that it will be a good addition to the already fantastic line-up. As practically everyone has already stated, the GP will love this coaster, and it'll have pretty good capacity as well. Could it have been better? Possibly, but I think that from Cedar Fair's view, this was a logical and smart move.

Has anyone here done the Millennium Walkback? It says that they check ID's, but I want to keep my ID in my car when I'm at the park. Do they check ID's for the coaster club stuff, or for season passes? Does anyone know if they still do the walkback during Halloweekends?

Thanks!

Has anyone here done the Millennium Walkback? It says that they check ID's, but I want to keep my ID in my car when I'm at the park.

I'd take your ID just to be safe. You could always take it back out to your car after the walkback.

Has anyone here done the Millennium Walkback? It says that they check ID's, but I want to keep my ID in my car when I'm at the park. Do they check ID's for the coaster club stuff, or for season passes? Does anyone know if they still do the walkback during Halloweekends?

Thanks!

Yeah, Tony (who manages it) always checks photo IDs to match coaster enthusiast cards.

One more question: What are the best options for breakfast (buffet or sit down) on the peninsula?

If I had to eat breakfast on the Peninsula, I'm eating at Perkins. Don't even entertain the notion of going to Breakwater Cafe. Starbucks is a clear second place. I would probably do neither ideally and go to something along 250 instead (Dianna's, the time machine to 1965 hidden inside Jolly Donut, hell even Sonic).

While Magic Mountain may have more coasters, Cedar Point's line up is way better. Mean Streak is really the only dud, and its not even that bad. Valravn is just a thick layer of frosting on the cake. Its incredible how stacked this park is.

It's all opinion. Some May like X2 and TC over MF and maverick. Plus Magic Mountain DOES have more coasters, therefore you would receive a better bang for your buck at SFMM.