TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Well it's a official now. This is the third straight time I've gone to CP the year before a new coaster. Went in 2006 and 2012. I I am planning on going back next summer though so the steak is likely going to end. But still what are the odds of going the same amusement park the year before a new coaster was built 3 times in a row?

They've seemed pretty clear in their intentions to be looking at a Mean Streak revision and an interactive dark ride attraction. That would leave the park with, what, the worst "adult" coaster being Mine Train or Draggin' Iron? That's pretty ridiculous.

Or Corkscrew, but even that ride isn't all that bad. I do consider it to be the worst coaster in the park though... putting an airtime hill on an arrow looper is just bullsh*t. What sick human being thought that would be a good idea? lol

Edited by coasterbill

Are Griffon and Sheikra the only other two dive coasters in the US then? Is there another I am missing.

There is simply nothing new or exciting about a dive machine

Fact or opinion?? Can never tell sometimes on these forums!

100% opinion, and that's why it's funny to me that some people are so vehemently defending the ride and calling me "ignorant" when everything I said is completely rooted in fact. It's still an opinion, but it's got facts behind it. Nothing I said is "wrong". And nothing anybody else is saying in favor of the ride is "wrong".

The name is still STUPID.

Here's what doesn't make sense about Valravn, besides the bafflingly awful name...

Are people seriously still complaining about the name?? Oh. My. God. The name is no worse than Rougarou, and there was not nearly this much bitching when they announced Rougarou. I'm starting to think you all would have been happier if they would have just named the coaster "Diving Coaster" and moved on.

If I had to guess half the people complaining about the name are complaining because they are not smart enough to be able to pronounce it.

Ohhh, I will continue complaining about the name until I'm dead. It is the single worst decision Cedar Point has ever made. You want to call me stupid for not knowing how to pronounce it? Guess what buddy, IT ISN'T ENGLISH. Why would I know how to pronounce it when I don't even know what language it is? And no, I'm not going to look it up, because it's a f*cking roller coaster name and that's absurd. This isn't Busch Gardens or Epcot, Cedar Point has no strong overseas cultural theme, or any theme at all for that matter, it's an American park filled with coasters with regular, American names. Maverick, Magnum, Mean Streak, these are coaster names. Valravn isn't a coaster name, it's a f*cking anagram puzzle. IT'S MISSING A VOWEL.

This name deserves to be complained about for decades. It deserves to have our children's children complaining about it. Someday when Cedar Point has rusted to the ground and been covered by an eon's worth of dust, some future archaeological explorer will dig up a sign with this ride's name on it and go, "Geeze, that's a f*cking stupid name."

Let me repeat this for all of you who seem to have forgotten it...

People are allowed to have opinions different from yours.

- The layout it not "boring" or "lame." It's not un-inspiring. It's not going to be forceless. Those are seriously ignorant. Simply ignorant things to say about this coaster. It is a solid addition to the park.

I would say the layout certainly has potential, but nobody knows how it's going to ride including you. Quit throwing around the word "ignorant" when it doesn't apply. We've seen B&M build corkscrews and airtime hills that simply don't deliver on their premise. If those two elements on this ride fall into that category then it'll literally be nothing but two cool drops with some track in between. Kind of like the dive machines that already exist. I'm optimistic though, don't get me wrong.

Edited by neil009

Ready for my five year plan that most of you are going to ridicule me for?

2017: Aesthetic/Food Upgrades

2018: TrioTech

2019: Sky Roller/Waterpark Impovements

2020: Planet Snoopy expansion

2021: RMC Mean Streak

Im pretty sure 2020 is going to be a big year for CP

The only flyer's CF has in their possession they inherited so I'm going to go with NO. CF doesn't seem to be a fan of the B&M flyers. Not sure why. It has been 6 years since the last 1 was installed in the US.

CF doesn't have any dive coasters in their possession either and it'll be nine years since the last one was installed in the US once Valravn is complete. So, that's not really a good argument.

Im pretty sure 2020 is going to be a big year for CP

If they ever intend to get a B&M Flyer, 2020 would be the year to do it.

CF doesn't have any dive coasters in their possession either and it'll be nine years since the last one was installed in the US once Valravn is complete. So, that's not really a good argument.

I agree, it's not entirely impossible but I just don't see 1 in the next 4 or 5 years.

The ride itself will be fine. Cedar Fair usually misses the mark in total experience though and usually just goes for the claim of biggest. Biggest isn't always best though. The added elements to one of these type coasters seem to be more as important in the ride experience as the height. Sheikra is absolute top quality for one of these rides with its tunnel, and splashdown and station layout.

The ride itself will be fine. Cedar Fair usually misses the mark in total experience though and usually just goes for the claim of biggest. Biggest isn't always best though. The added elements to one of these type coasters seem to be more as important in the ride experience as the height. Sheikra is absolute top quality for one of these rides with its tunnel, and splashdown and station layout.

Cedar Fair has been shifting their focus towards families more recently, with the exception of one big coaster per year.

Seems pretty solid. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Sky Roller or flat ride package in 2017 along with a midway revamp somewhere. A Sky Roller and a modern refreshment of the Frontier area around Maverick and Mean Streak.

Still interested in seeing where those Vintage European flat rides will come into play and what parks and where they will go. I would assume that a Vintage flat ride(s) will go along with a Aesthetic midway revamp.

RMC Mean Streak is a no go and I just don't see it happening.

I think most people are just butthurt because its none of the things Tony said it would be.

BwdVG83IUAAUhM3.jpg

Cedar Point could do all of those and the same enthusiasts would find 10 things they don't like about them.

If it falls ANYWHERE outside their perfect pipe-dream, it will be a disaster.

Maybe now (or if they get a flyer) they'll stop going straight to B&M and actually explore other manufactures' options . Joking aside, I really wonder if there's anything left that belongs at CP. Maybe a flyer, perhaps an RMC, but other than that there aren't many coaster types that would make their lineup any more complete than it already is.

I made a ten year plan... (Sorry for all caps I have a habit of doing that)

Cedar Point 10 Year Plan, 2016-2025

2016 - New Coaster (B&M Dive Machine)

2017 - Thrill Ride(s)

2018 - Flat Ride(s)

2019 - Log Flume

2020 - Mean Streak RMC (Twisted Streak)

2021 - Kids Area Expansion

2022 - New Intamin Wood Coaster Located On Adventure Island (Close Dinosaurs Alive)

2023 - Waterpark Expansion (Freefall Capsule Slide)

2024 - Dark Ride

2025 - Destroy Blue Streak (Rebuild Out & Back Wooden Coaster - Faster And More Comfortable)

Maybe now (or if they get a flyer) they'll stop going straight to B&M and actually explore other manufactures' options . Joking aside, I really wonder if there's anything left that belongs at CP. Maybe a flyer, perhaps an RMC, but other than that there aren't many coaster types that would make their lineup any more complete than it already is.

Cedar Point has always lacked a good wooden coaster, you have Mean Streak and Blue Streak, pretty lackluster selection of you ask me. I'd love to see them get a GCI but I don't think that capacity would be high enough for CPs standards.

The only other company currently building wooden coasters in the US is RMC, if you even call those wooden coasters. Personally I'm not the biggest fan of RMC, but anything to improve Mean Streak or that plot of land would be great.

CP REALLY needs a new wood coaster since all they have is a average and a sub par wooden coasters (Blue Streak and Mean Streak). Iron Mean Streak would hurt either (could make a NTAG clone since Mean Streak is very similar to the old Texas Giant).

I'm going to clear up a little confusion...

1. Busch Gardens had an exclusivity deal with B&M for the Dive Coasters. No other park could install one within X years. (Apparently 9)

2. Vest harnesses are significantly wider than standard OTSR. The outside riders on Banshee are outside the rails, while that same seat is under the rails on Raptor. It is very likely that the 8 seat train is as wide as the 10 seat train.

It doesn't need dual load for 24 seats. The duration of Dive Coasters is short. Ideally they will dispatch when the previous train hits the midcourse, as the following train approaches the final blocks.

And the location is excellent for watchers. The first drop faces the midway and runs along the marina entrance.