TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

The difference is stark. There is simply nothing new or exciting about a dive machine, and if that doesn't matter to the GP, then why did they always go with newer coaster types before? Or is it just a coincidence that the longest they ever let go by up till now was six years? 

I agree that it's certainly not a "new" ride type, but to say there's nothing "exciting" about it simply isn't accurate. There are only 10 Dive Machines in the world once Valravn is built, only three of those in the U.S. It's perfectly reasonable to expect that the GP are going to eat this up with a spoon, and a very large bowl! While you are correct that it's far from cutting edge as far as new coaster installments go, it is still a very rare, and unique type of coaster.

I imagine that when CP management was sitting around, planning out their major coasters for the next "X" number of years, they looked for something that would be a new and exciting experience for the majority of their park-goers. Now, take B&M Flying coasters... As much as I personally love them, and have wanted to see that "different" type of experience at CP for ages, they are fairly prevalent these days. Heck, while not a B&M, they have a Flying Coaster in Ohio already, in the same chain. So CP management is sitting there, talking about a "new" coaster experience for The Point, and they realize there is an "old" coaster type, that isn't very common in the US, and has easily accessible "records" that can be heavily marketed (as we saw them do at the Press Conference today.) The best part, it's by their current favorite manufacturer, and they have just the spot to put this massive coaster in, with minimal removal of anything significant!

Who knows if that's entirely accurate, but I could definitely see it going down pretty much like that, honestly!

So, while I understand what you're saying, and don't disagree about some of it, I do think this will be an exciting attraction for most people coming to the park. TTD still gets a decent crowd just sitting on the grandstand watching it, and I suspect this will have quite the crowd of strictly observers as well! And isn't that the whole meaning of excitement, and hype? Just from the GP I've talked to about the coaster so far, I've seen a very visible reaction when describing the experience, or showing them the pictures! So, while not all of us enthusiasts are super excited about it (I'm actually really looking forward to it, personally!), I don't think there's any doubt that CP has another marketing hit on their hands. I don't agree with everything CF/CP does, but I can definitely see the logic behind this move!

The name is still STUPID.

Here's what doesn't make sense about Valravn, besides the bafflingly awful name...

Are people seriously still complaining about the name?? Oh. My. God. The name is no worse than Rougarou, and there was not nearly this much bitching when they announced Rougarou. I'm starting to think you all would have been happier if they would have just named the coaster "Diving Coaster" and moved on.

If I had to guess half the people complaining about the name are complaining because they are not smart enough to be able to pronounce it.

Let me repeat this for all of you who seem to have forgotten it...

- This is still a new... record breaking coaster.

- There is NOT to much orange track in the park.

- There is nothing wrong with the name.

- The coaster was NEVER going to have theming to begin with... I mean, this is Cedar Point... so stop complaining about the lack of theming.

- It's a Dive Machine. Which there are only 2 other ones in the US. Be thankful that they didn't just get a clone of another coaster. At least it is a unique, record breaking Dive Machine instead of a cookie cutter.

- The layout it not "boring" or "lame." It's not un-inspiring. It's not going to be forceless. Those are seriously ignorant. Simply ignorant things to say about this coaster. It is a solid addition to the park.

I feel like half of you would have complained about MF when it was first announced. "OMG. It's so lame. So boring. So drawn out. There is no theming. Why does it have to be so blue? Why is the name so stupid...? Seriously, you know you would have. If you don't like the coaster, then don't ride it. Better yet... If you don't like the coaster then just don't go to the park. Stay home and bitch about the coaster while the rest of us will go and ride, and enjoy the coaster. I seriously feel like about 85% of you all who are complaining about this coaster will never even get to the park to ride it to begin with. . . You just want to complain... to complain. Be greatful there is a new coaster coming to the park, and move on.

#EndRant

Personally, I think it's a great addition to the park and I can't wait to ride it. I also think that Valravn isn't as earth-shattering or impressive as some think it should be because CP went a more conservative route to save resources for whatever's coming in 2020. That announcement, I'm sure, will make everyone forget about their issues with Valravn.

- There is NOT to much orange track in the park.

dwight-schrute-false.jpg.de089f35628d3c5e26b0a5475519524d.jpg

Other than that, it was a pretty solid rant...

I will say that a lot of things you say authoritatively, are actually just your opinion, and while I understand being frustrated with some of the responses to this coaster, people should be given the ability to express their opinions without being told off. So somebody doesn't like the name? Who cares?! No big deal to me. I think it's cool, personally, but to each their own...

Oh, and if anybody should get super defensive about CP it should be me, who has been going there for 33 years (or, more years than many posters here have been alive!) But I have learned that even CP isn't infallible, and not everybody has to love it as much as I do. Just sayin'...

A) If you pay money to get into theme parks and that is your relationship to them, YOU ARE THE GENERAL PUBLIC. You just happen to fall on the autism spectrum in such a manner that you care emotionally about amusement rides for kids. Don't ever forget this.

B) Some people aren't going to be happy with a B&M install. If they spend $20 million to construct a fake mountain around this, do you think the complaints about the layout would go away? No. This ride doesn't do some of the cool stuff the Gerstlauer rides do with inversions and beyond vertical drops. I won't argue that. I would argue that I'll probably be able to enjoy Valravn unlike almost every Eurofighter install with OTSRs. I'll probably enjoy it more 15 years from now than I would an off the shelf Intamin 8/10 looper too, since those things apparently age as gracefully as David Lee Roth.

I'm getting a fun, high capacity, high up-time, unique to any park in a 700 mile radius of my house addition to my home park. I'm stoked. Must suck to not be in that position.

I personally love the name and the logo for the ride, but I can totally understand someone's view if they don't like it. No one person is right or wrong when it comes to something so subjective of whether a name of a coaster is good or not. A lot of the opinions posted on here about Valravn, or any other coaster announcement for that matter, are all subjective and not facts.

That aside, I am sure the public will eat this ride up but it is not getting me to rush out to the park anytime soon. Congrats to CP regardless on what will probably be a very successful coaster. These are just my views and that's the great things about forums like this and other outlets in social media, we all have a place to voice our views and opinions.

I love tunnels on Dive Coasters, but I also LOVE the idea of a view of 214 uninterrupted feet of drop when you're perched at the top. Talk about squeaky bum time. I think the presentation looks a bit flat compared to some of the rides Cedar Fair have done recently, but I don't see enough to write this ride off as being boring or a wasted opportunity yet... not until I've ridden it anyway.

Edited by KarlaKoaster

B&M coasters are like Apple products. Everyone is super excited for the announcement, but then people complain about every little thing when it is announced. Once it is released, everyone will then love the product again. B&Ms and Apple products are safe, but that definitely does not mean that they are bad.

I've only been on Griffon, but both vertical drops were outstanding and I was floating the whole way down. The inversions were also pretty forceful. Not early 1990 B&M invert forceful, but forceful. This ride is going to be immensely popular and a people eater. People love SheiKra and Griffon, so I don't see how a larger version of two highly popular coasters is bad. And then having the new vest restraints is just gravy.

B&M coasters are like Apple products. Everyone is super excited for the announcement, but then people complain about every little thing when it is announced. Once it is released, everyone will then love the product again. B&Ms and Apple products are safe, but that definitely does not mean that they are bad.

So true.

To be fair there are only nine other Dive Machines in the world, and only two others in America. So for the majority of people that will ride this, it will be a new coaster experience.

So true. I sent the You Tube link to a friend and my brother in law and they thought it looked like a ton of fun and couldn't wait to go ride it next year.

My brother in law didn't even know such a coaster existed so yeah...the GP will definitely eat this up.

Especially with a nice viewing area of the drop. People that have never been to BG are going to shit when they see the stall on the first drop!

What a stupid announcement the ride doesn't even dive into Lake Erie

Sorry Hershey but unlike Storm Runner's barrel roll that element would ACTUALLY be a "Flying Snake Dive". Those Lake Erie watersnakes would go flying onto the midway and that's too bad because those little things are vicious. I see a ton of them at Cedar Point and a youtube search shows you nothing but videos of people holding them, talking about the need to preserve them all while they look like they're about to pass out from severe blood loss.

Looks like it will be a solid, reliable, high capacity performer for the park. I am sure the GP will like it. A hyper coaster with inversions is never a bad thing. I question though the bit of the redundancy factor of this decision. The seating configuration and the ride experience itself may be a tad too similar to what else is currently in the park.

well, they have almost every type of coaster. Do you guys think they'll add a flyer in the future?

I would rather see a high quality 4D. Not rushed, but perfected. Like an intamin version of X2. Just better. Long duration, controlled flips, high capacity, actual track and not this stacked rails like the free spins and zac spins.

The only flyer's CF has in their possession they inherited so I'm going to go with NO. CF doesn't seem to be a fan of the B&M flyers. Not sure why. It has been 6 years since the last 1 was installed in the US.

Not a single park in the chain had a wing rider, they added one. Not a single park in the chain had a dive machine, they're adding one. I could go on and on. While I see your point, its not completely out of the realm of possibility.

They've seemed pretty clear in their intentions to be looking at a Mean Streak revision and an interactive dark ride attraction. That would leave the park with, what, the worst "adult" coaster being Mine Train or Draggin' Iron? That's pretty ridiculous.