TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

The animation appears to show a lack of B&M roar. Considering the fact that the first drop, along with most of the ride, is right by the marina entrance, making it quieter is probably a good decision.

I've never been on a dive coaster, so I'm shocked to see so many people lamenting the lack of a splash-down.

I didn't realize it was such an important (or impressive) element.

In terms of aesthetics, it's a very good element. In terms of riding, it's a straightaway above water.

Remember, it's just the animation. He usually takes sound samples from a similar coaster (in this case probably Sheikra or Griffon) and mixes it with offride sounds of Gatekeeper from media day. If you listen closely to that video on youtube, you'll see exactly where he got most of his sounds. I'm sure this enormous track will amplify sound like crazy. That's a great way to enter the park for sure!

Anyway, about the tunnel, perhaps they'll pull a Leviathan and add a tunnel last minute if they have any extra cash in the budget.

Did I mention how good this thing looks in its location? I mean, it may just be the animation at the beginning of the POV looking out of the station, that view is beautiful in it's own "CP generic" way

The more I watch the videos the more I get excited yeah its lacking a splashdown and a tunnel. But is everyone suddenly forgetting the barrel roll? I don't recall this ever being done on a dive coaster before and I think it's going to be one of the top elements of this ride. I for one can't wait to have a dive coaster at my home park!

I'm not a huge fan of this just being plopped down in a field on a pretty predominant corner of the midway with what could have been a huge amount of guest interaction (like Dragster). But there could definitely be worse things.

What intrigues me the most about this announcement is the station. I only saw one other person mention it so far, but it looks amazing. The sleek and simple folded roof plane that resembles the wing of a bird is probably the coolest station I've seen. It doesn't really jive with the style of the logo like Banshee's station does, but I still love it. It's amazingly elegant for a coaster station. I probably have too high of an expectation that they're going to uplight the roof from below and put speakers/signage somewhere else so it remains as clean as this image is, but that would really be stunning if they did. At night it would appear as if it were floating.

Edit: LOVE that this is getting the vests! LOVE!

Edited by halltd

Straight to the point, I like it. Ever since riding Sheikra in 2009, I've wanted to take a trip to BGE to ride Griffon (was last there in 2004). Now I don't have to drive 9 hours, and there will be a bigger and badder dive machine a lot closer. As simple and plain as it seems, I like it. This thing is going to be so intimidating!

And now for the opinion you've all been waiting for: Mine!

- Noticed that many people are suffering from "anticipointment" where before the announcement they were excited and now are just ho-hum... this is also why I try to not follow leaked information, I really want to be surprised, even if the secret is out.

- Love the logo and name (I haven't mentioned that before)

- Looks like a good, solid ride for the park

- Will be a capacity monster (easy to load trains and a shorter circuit)

- Neat to see the newer restraints on this ride

- Amazed how much coaster fits in such a small space (yes, it's a pretty small space when it comes to a 223' coaster... lots of layering going on)

- I would have liked a water splash, (cause they look neat) but not enough room

- I will wait for the final product before mentioning themes.... these are just renderings after all, people

- Hoping an above-ground tunnel or "chopper effects" will be added

- Bonus: shorter lines for everything else, at least for a few hours anyway

- What's new for 2017? (just kidding!)

The animation appears to show a lack of B&M roar.

Oh so the animation is going to be taken really literally huh? Okay well then I have some complains about the 2016 additions too based on my ultra-literal interpretation of the video.

1) The ride doesn't roar enough obviously as has been mentioned.

2) While I agree that this is Murica and the Skyride needs to be reversed so it's not traveling on the left side like it's in some monarchy where they don't have freedom like here in Murica, I don't see why reversing the Skyride would make any financial sense. It seems like alot of money to spend for something that's not marketable... unless of course they're taking a page from the Six Flags playbook like for example... "For a Limited Time Only Ride Sky Ride... Backwards!". In that case that sounds amazing and I'll absolutely head out there to experience it.

3) transfer.jpg.416f1af665d8d7fa4bab2938aec6287c.jpg

I don't like that they're removing Iron Dragon's transfer track. This will really hurt capacity since now it has to run one train.

4) Untitled.jpg.cdc9115b4f75effc827930c8c278e6da.jpg

I'm disappointed by the lack of a photo booth or gift shop at the exit. Any ride that doesn't allow me to buy a $5 Vitamin Water upon exit sucks and isn't worth my time.

5) capacity.thumb.jpg.7ff929a003fdefb478fe5dce6c27c29a.jpg

I don't get why they would only run 1 train even on what's apparently a slow day with no other trains in transfer. Cedar Point operations should be better than this.

So yeah according to the renderings this season's gonna suck.

The animation appears to show a lack of B&M roar.

Oh so the animation is going to be taken really literally huh? Okay well then I have some complains about the 2016 additions too based on my ultra-literal interpretation of the video.

^^ Post of the day.

Man, I was really looking forward to paying $15 for a blurry ride photo featuring 7 other passengers in the row with me. Also, it's disappointing that all of the water from Iron Dragon's lake will be removed. This will really take away from the night-ride experience on Cedar Point's best and by far most popular coaster. I was also looking forward to the launch, 30,000-foot top hat, and second station in Canada's Wonderland, but I guess that isn't happening. On the bright side, it seems as if crowds in the park are EXTREMELY light, so no need for a VIP tour to reduce the wait time to 8 hours from 27.

Just a refresher:

LIFE CYCLE OF A "NEW COASTER" THREAD ON TPR

1. After months of rumors and speculation, the ride is announced. The ride is immediately hit with negative views because it didn't live up to the hype coasterboy2194210 had set when he heard from his friend's uncle that it was going to be a 900 foot prototype.

2. Complaints about: The name, the stats, the colors, the trains, and the station layout, sometimes all in the same post. This is based off a crudely done 3D video.

3. Random new threads pop up in the next few weeks, breaking the news of the brand new coaster, even though the original thread is probably still on the first page near the top.

4. People start complaining about the lack of construction, and wonder if the ride will be finished on time.

5. Construction starts, people start complaining about the lack of construction updates. No pictures from 2:35 this afternoon? But another piece had been put up!!!

6. Criticism over the differences between the constructed portions versus the concept art begin. Page upon page of bitter feuding on whether the angle of descent was incorrect begins.

7. The construction is finished. People start complaining about the lack of testing, and wonder if the ride will be finished on time.

8. Testing starts, people start complaining about the lack of testing updates. No pictures from 2:35 this afternoon? But another train has been cycled!!!

9. Someone rides the coaster and reports back. If the review is so-so to good, the person obviously caught it on a bad early run. If the review is glowing, the person obviously hasn't ridden many coasters.

10. The ride opens. The fanboys descend en masse, declaring the ride the best coaster to ever touch god's green earth. Wild claims are thrown out, like the coaster is able to cure cancer, and has ejector airtime even on the brake run and station.

11. A well-travelled, highly regarded TPR member finally rides it, and gives a good but not great review. Fanboys cry foul, saying the person rode it on an off-day.

12. Pages upon pages of comparison to every single amusement ride known to man ensue.

13. As more people ride, the reviews eventually settle into a particular area (bad, moderate, good, great, excellent) and people stop posting in the thread.

14. Meanwhile, dirt has been dug up somewhere else in the park...the cycle begins again.

LMAO...Hilarious!

The ride looks great. I'll take the airtime hill over the splash. Sheikra's first drop is awesome and it doesn't have a tunnel. Griffon's single load station is efficient enough (remember Mantis). If not, go on a Wednesday. 24 vs 30 person trains...who cares. Stop complaining. Dive Machines are awesome, even when they do the exact same thing twice like Griffon.

^^Basically any manufacturer but Intamin could claim that.

I wish Stengel was still designing rides for B&M. This ride looks floaty and lame just like everything else they've churned out over the past several years.

Obvious troll is obvious.

Ok if that's your interpretation of whats going on here then more power to you, but honestly this looks like a boring ride.

Ok if that's your interpretation of whats going on here then more power to you, but honestly this looks like a boring ride.

*IF* and that is a BIG if you are not just being a troll, and you really think this looks like a boring ride then it is time for you to find a new hobby, because obviously riding really good roller coasters is not for you.

^^Basically any manufacturer but Intamin could claim that.

I wish Stengel was still designing rides for B&M. This ride looks floaty and lame just like everything else they've churned out over the past several years.

Obvious troll is obvious.

So does TTD if you're looking at a picture.

I have been on Oblivion, Sheikra and Griffon......and am VERY excited to try this new coaster at CP. Looks like it will be good fun. The brake holds at the top always have people screaming and using creative language!

I saw a comment in the thread earlier about there being few Dive coasters in North America. I don't know the others outside the two Busch Garden parks. What others are there on the continent?

Ok if that's your interpretation of whats going on here then more power to you, but honestly this looks like a boring ride

I presume you are British...because then I could give you credit for what is awesome use of deadpan sarcasm. I do seem to read it a lot on some of the coaster forums....I never realised how well it can be used when describing some useless investment at probably one of the worst roller coaster parks in the world.

The more I watch the videos the more I get excited yeah its lacking a splashdown and a tunnel. But is everyone suddenly forgetting the barrel roll? I don't recall this ever being done on a dive coaster before and I think it's going to be one of the top elements of this ride. I for one can't wait to have a dive coaster at my home park!

This. People are bitching more about a freaking tunnel and splashdown than enjoying the fact that there are two more loops and a bunny hop airtime hill than the two at BG. I would MUCH rather have more coaster elements than have something that you hardly notice when you're riding.

You know darn well that if CP were to add tunnels that they would be ala Magnum, MF or Leviathan at CW...which we know is just drainage piping. Then people would just be complaining about how ugly it looks and how THAT'S not themed...am I right?

I agree with you about the Stengel part. I feel their designs have gone way downhill when they brought their layouts in house. That being said, out of all the designs they've churned out in the last 10 years, I will admit to liking the Dive Machines quite a bit. Both SheiKra (and it's near-clones) and Griffon have a GREAT first drop and second near-vertical drop, and both of the inversions, while a bit floaty, I agree, are actually a lot of fun. I'm not sure about that "airtime hill" on this one, though, it doesn't look like it will deliver much. But all that being said, I'm far more excited about this than I was Gatekeeper.

While this ride seems a little short, yes, I actually think Gatekeeper could have benefited by being about 1,000 feet shorter. I know that sounds crazy, but just think about how boring that last 1/4 of the ride is. Valravn at least seems to pack a good amount in during it's course.

This. People are bitching more about a freaking tunnel and splashdown than enjoying the fact that there are two more loops and a bunny hop airtime hill than the two at BG. I would MUCH rather have more coaster elements than have something that you hardly notice when you're riding.

You know darn well that if CP were to add tunnels that they would be ala Magnum, MF or Leviathan at CW...which we know is just the equivalent of drainage piping. Then people would just be complaining about how ugly it looks and how THAT'S not themed...am I right?