TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I still think all of the records stuff is kind of silly considering that there are only like what 6 dive coasters in the world? Especially silly when you think about the fact that this is world tallest Dive Coasters, yet another coaster in the same park has a vertical drop that is almost twice as tall.

Why build Maverick, with a 70 mph launch, when they had Dragster with a 120mph launch? The difference is in the ride. Varavn is MILES different than Dragster, so sharing only steepness in drop is vaguely relevant. Also there are 10 dive coasters now, 3 US, 4 Europe, and 3 in Asia.

Besides the silly records it does look like an awesome addition. Despite what people think about B&M's these days the Dive Machines have always been really fun coasters that look incredible in person. Yeah there isn't much theming to this thing but who cares, the whole entrance plaza and area around the ride looks great in the concept art. Should be a nice addition to their collection.

I too am liking the new midway's look. I like how CP is going with more curved paths now, I think the new Gemini midway looks immensely better after its transformation.

I wonder if this coaster will have an epic Valravn bird next to its signage? Maybe a larger version of Dollywood's Wild Eagle statue.

So it's finally official! My thoughts...

-Aside from the traditional sitdown, the Dive Machine is B&M's only offering I haven't been able to try yet. I am certainly looking forward to this one, since I doubt I'll be able to ride a different one before this one opens.

-I love the GateKeeper/Banshee restraints, so count me as someone who loves the train design.

-Add me to the party who is happy that Blue Streak's corner is no longer a dead end. The new Marina Entrance area looks great; the rendering does appear to show a new building after all...so that just leaves the Soak City entrance.

-I'm guessing Dive Machines eat people up as much as any other B&M? That's not a lot of queue space...and if that means short lines...bring it on!

-Just looking at the overview here...

...can I put in guesses for the empty spaces in the background? I know it's WAY too early to speculate on what Cedar Point will do after this, but for some reason, I can see a Sky Roller like the one Canada's Wonderland is getting in that spot to the left of the first drop. Also, that space behind the second immelmann looks like it has "future Haunt building site" written all over it.

^^^^Honestly I joke but this ride might be slightly okay with wind.

Not always, but more often than not the wind blows from the bay, which is a huge problem for Raptor as the train approaches the mid course, Dragster as the train tries to crest the tower and Gatekeeper because most of the first half of the course with the tallest elements are going right into the wind. It's no surprise that those 3 coasters close first.

This ride really doesn't spend a ton of time directly fighting the wind. The turn into the mid course is the only area of concern but when it straightens out it's facing a direction where wind is rarely an issue.

That doesn't mean they won't close it in the wind anyway, but I don't see this closing down with that first group (Gatekeeper, Raptor and Dragster). As for rain, it's up in the air. I'm sure they'll add it to the rain policy wheel and then it all depends what happens when they spin it. Some days it will probably be able to safely operate in the rain, other days it'll probably close in a light drizzle.

It feels similar to when Magic Mountain added Scream, it's "one for the count."

What does this even mean? It's a nice looking coaster that will revitalize and open up a dead-end part of the park.

Plus, dive machines are fun to watch and are a hit with both the general public and enthusiasts.

Not every new ride is going be an Intamin Giga, RMC or whatever it is you feel like the park needs!

The fact is that when non enthusiasts see the holding brake they're going to absolutely lose their s**t. For a lot of people that's flat out terrifying and it's unique to the park and for that reason alone I'm pretty sure a lot of people will look at this as an innovative, thrilling ride and an example of Cedar Point pushing the envelope for thrills. Enthusiasts won't feel that way but 99% of people will. The holding brake is what makes this ride for most people and if you're not a coaster person and if you're afraid of heights it WOULD be terrifying.

I'm not a huge fan of the vest restraints being used here, but that's just me being picky. The coaster looks great, and is only going to further compliment the park's already-extensive line of giants.

I mean, even Millennium Force has a "toaster oven" station, fairly basic trains, and nothing really out on the course

I normally agree with you but I have to step in here...

Millennium Force is a highly themed journey back in time to an island filled with dinosaurs. The name makes perfect sense too as they never specified which Millennium they were referring to. Everyone misses the theme because they incorrectly assume they were talking about this Millennium.

Millennium Force just might rank a little higher on my list because of that description! It's perfect!

Colors look better in the pics then in the animations thankfully. Location and layout look good. Name is good. Bluestreak midway being fixed is good. Vest restraints is bad. Overall looks very good!

WHAT?! What's wrong with the vest restraints?

The holding brake is what makes this ride for most people and if you're not a coaster person and if you're afraid of heights it WOULD be terrifying.

I'm a coaster fan, and I'm also terrified of heights. I know that makes no sense, but it's true. So this coaster may end up being similar to MF's first drop in terms of terror.

I like the newer restraints as they are less restrictive and make you feel more vulnerable and open. Yet still remain very comfortable. The ONLY problem people seem to have with them is the tight squeeze, which is only noticeable the 10 seconds you wait outside the station.

So I don't see how it is a huge issue, at all.

Edited by JonnyRCT3

Colors look better in the pics then in the animations thankfully. Location and layout look good. Name is good. Bluestreak midway being fixed is good. Vest restraints is bad. Overall looks very good!

They're extremely uncomfortable for tall people and large people. As a tall person, I hate them. They dig into my shoulders and neck, and the bar sits on my crotch weird. I don't have a problem with the old OTRs, and consider the vests a massive downgrade, but obviously considering this us subjective, I suppose some people find them a huge upgrade. Also, given the nature of a dive, I could see the vest part locking, like gatekeeper used too and that would make it even worse for tall people, though we should wait to see before assuming the will lock.

*still waiting on the pushback from CP to the FAA about the fact we need approval for building it above 217 feet - of course the public will help...but that delays construction if they drag it to the 120day/3mo review time*

Now Cedar Point just needs to give RMC keys to Mean Streak and I'm set!

Or just leave MS alone and build a bad ass NEW coaster. Mean Streak is fine...just rode it a few times without trim the other day (lucky me?)...and saw a 45min wait so while a lot here feel it doesn't get much live, it clearly isn't a bad coaster (cough SOB, HADES360, Hurler cough). How about sit in the front, grab the handle and lean forward with your butt off the seat

If we just "fix" mean streak, that doesn't ADD to the current record and I'm sure the park would like to add-on:

***Most roller coaster track at one amusement park (60,110 feet/11.4 miles)***

With 2020, we should add not 'renovate' but showcase something special - if it is an Intamin/RMC/flyer/4D fight to the finish, we should have something great to look forward to...

Personally, I dont like em. I much prefer Raptors style otsr. I even like Vekoma's new Vest over gatekeepers. I cant get comfortable in them. Its gonna be a solid ride, and the vest wont ruin the ride for me, its just the vest are my only compaint so far on this ride

For some reason it never feels like I'm hanging when riding Griffon. It feels like I'm gliding over the edge and then plunging down like it really does.

Exactly! For me it's a case of "I reeeeeeeallllly hope these restraints don't fail" as I am looking straight down 200 feet for those 4 seconds on the holding brake.

It's a very unique and exciting feeling!

*still waiting on the pushback from CP to the FAA about the fact we need approval for building it above 217 feet - of course the public will help...but that delays construction if they drag it to the 120day/3mo review time*

Given that the Griffing Sandusky Airport no longer exists, and that huge development plans have been announced to turn the site into public park space -- a project backed financially by Cedar Fair -- I'm sure they'll work that one out pretty quickly.