TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

But one question remains . . . WHERE'S THE THEMING? I mean . . . ANYTHING?

How many coasters at Cedar Point have extensive theming beyond maybe nice looking trains and a station? I mean, even Millennium Force has a "toaster oven" station, fairly basic trains, and nothing really out on the course and that ride seems to be HUGELY popular with everyone. So what's the problem?

Took the words right out of my mouth. Since when is CP about Disney or Busch level theming? This fits the park dynamic perfectly and is clearly going to be a great ride. If you don't think that zero g roll is going to be bananas on the end seat, you're crazy!

I mean, dragster is themed, but they took a bunch out in the first year. Maverick is a little themed, but only to a degree and I don't know anyone who cites the water canons or hut building as to why it's worth going on. After that I'm drawing a blank, so if there's themed rides I missed, it shows how memorable they are.

Or should we be expecting a 2016 theming overhaul to corkscrew where they hand you a bottle of wine when you get off the ride? Let's not even go down that road on Magnum...

This will be an awesome addition to the park. Dive Coasters are amazing! I'm glad it's getting the new restraints...I don't know why people don't like them? I mean how can you really enjoy the restraints that Rougarou and Raptor have? I mean they're great rides, but the new Gatekeeper restraints are better, imo. And I don't care about themeing. If it's a great ride and people like it...To hell with the themeing.

But one question remains . . . WHERE'S THE THEMING? I mean . . . ANYTHING?

How many coasters at Cedar Point have extensive theming beyond maybe nice looking trains and a station? I mean, even Millennium Force has a "toaster oven" station, fairly basic trains, and nothing really out on the course and that ride seems to be HUGELY popular with everyone. So what's the problem?

Took the words right out of my mouth. Since when is CP about Disney or Busch level theming? This fits the park dynamic perfectly and is clearly going to be a great ride. If you don't think that zero g roll is going to be bananas on the end seat, you're crazy!

I mean, dragster is themed, but they took a bunch out in the first year. Maverick is a little themed, but only to a degree and I don't know anyone who cites the water canons or hut building as to why it's worth going on. After that I'm drawing a blank, so if there's themed rides I missed, it shows how memorable they are.

Or should we be expecting a 2016 theming overhaul to corkscrew where they hand you a bottle of wine when you get off the ride? Let's not even go down that road on Magnum...

Cedar Point has a formula that work and it doesn't involve spending a ton of money on theming. Even though the ideas are hilarious. lol

Cedar Point, and CF in general, are not into theming their rides like Busch or Disney and that is just fine with me. Why theme something if the theming goes to hell in a couple years after opening (see Disaster Transport 1993/1994 on for example). Come to think of it, the whole front of the park is themed as one giant bird aviary with Gatekeeper, Raptor, and now Valravn. They just need to rename Wicked Twister and Blue Streak to fit in.

They had to take the theming off of Dragster after one of the large tires fell off of it. On the plus side it meant they were able to add another row of seats in the back. The trains are still among the coolest out there without the extras they used to have.

Now that Robb posted the bigger quality photos I seriously think this will be my second or third favorite ride in the park (nothing can beat Maverick IMO). Night rides are going to be sweet next year and look forward to what atmospheric lighting they will put on this ride.

Dive Coaster?? Cedar Point breaking records???

arjhcm9.jpg.1ad9cf3707850e0f91336587e560ed89.jpg

In all seriousness though, this looks like a fantastic ride. I really like the color scheme and can't want to see how this transforms the Marina entrance & Blue Streak midway. Should be a huge hit with the GP and a great addition to CP's stellar lineup.

I am VERY happy with this announcement, and I love the trains and the layout. I do wish, and this is just me being picky, that the track could be pink or purple or black or something like that. Now Cedar Point just needs to give RMC keys to Mean Streak and I'm set!

I mean, even Millennium Force has a "toaster oven" station, fairly basic trains, and nothing really out on the course

I normally agree with you but I have to step in here...

Millennium Force is a highly themed journey back in time to an island filled with dinosaurs. The name makes perfect sense too as they never specified which Millennium they were referring to. Everyone misses the theme because they incorrectly assume they were talking about this Millennium.

I mean, even Millennium Force has a "toaster oven" station, fairly basic trains, and nothing really out on the course

Millennium Force is a highly themed journey back in time to an island filled with dinosaurs. The name makes perfect sense too as they never specified which Millennium they were referring to. Everyone misses the theme because they incorrectly assume they were talking about this Millennium.

This made me

This made me

My vision of this ride had been infinitely expanded.

I still think all of the records stuff is kind of silly considering that there are only like what 6 dive coasters in the world? Especially silly when you think about the fact that this is world tallest Dive Coasters, yet another coaster in the same park has a vertical drop that is almost twice as tall.

Besides the silly records it does look like an awesome addition. Despite what people think about B&M's these days the Dive Machines have always been really fun coasters that look incredible in person. Yeah there isn't much theming to this thing but who cares, the whole entrance plaza and area around the ride looks great in the concept art. Should be a nice addition to their collection.

I mean, even Millennium Force has a "toaster oven" station

Now that made me laugh.

The ride seems pretty cool. These coasters are always short but at least this one manages to pack more inversions and does something different after the MCBR. Looks like great fun!

Surely the capacity on this is going to be appalling compared to the brilliant operations on GateKeeper and Raptor.

3x24 seat trains is low for a dive coaster of this size. Griffon's trains hold 30 and Oblivion at Alton Towers runs 7x16 seat, and dual loads...

Why no dual loading? And why only 8-across trains? And why only 3?

Surely the capacity on this is going to be appalling compared to the brilliant operations on GateKeeper and Raptor.

3x24 seat trains is low for a dive coaster of this size. Griffon's trains hold 30 and Oblivion at Alton Towers runs 7x16 seat, and dual loads...

Why no dual loading? And why only 8-across trains? And why only 3?

You do know, when you dual load one train will sit outside the station until cleared to take the lift. So, who's to say they cant crank the trains just as fast. I think appalling is a stretch of a word to use.