TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Great addition for the park...this will be a huge hit with the GP, most of which have probably never been to either BG park and ridden those dive coasters.

Just wanted to get this in before the enthusiast whiners hijack the thread.

Love this announcement...glad it's finally confirmed so we can quit with the silly speculations!

Edited by Philrad71

Finally the "secret" is out and we can all quit speculating about whether they changed the name or not. Personally I like the name and am glad they kept it.

As for the coaster itself...I said it before but I will say it again...I think it's a fantastic addition to the parks already stellar collection of coasters BUT I think it would look better sitting in Skyriders old spot at Canada's Wonderland

I didn't catch the live stream so how do you pronounce the name? I've been calling it Val-ravn.

I'm glad that they are going to make the ride guest friendly, i.e. bring the ride up close to midways so that guests can have some interaction with it unlike Gatekeeper. I'm actually quite surprised by the new midway that goes behind Cadillac Cars - will make it easier to get to Blue Streak and Valravn without having to go all the way to Raptor to access them. Great job CP!

Two things that stand out to me:

8 across trains - dont really understand this, that or the presence of the vest restraints. I guess the elements are rather slow but I feel that a 10 across train would increase the speed and capacity enough to out weigh this.

Colors - I know we have know these for a while, but they still perplex me. Being almost the same to Rougaru and just across the midway it just seems odd to me.

I guess at this point though we cant really question CF, almost all of their major additions in the past years have been outstanding, they definitely know what they are doing. Glad there isn't a splashdown though, they honestly never appeal to me as they act no different than a breakrun in my eyes, much rather have a bunny hill or similar element.

Gonna be an awesome ride, but genuinely surprised it's just being plopped down on a patch of grass. Definitely a disappointment in that regard.

Glad there isn't a splashdown though, they honestly never appeal to me as they act no different than a breakrun in my eyes, much rather have a bunny hill or similar element.

By design, they are a brake run - the aesthetics are just a bonus - so you're right! A lot of people do use them to get wet on a summer day, though, so they definitely serve multiple purposes.

So just wondering. Do dive machines like griffon and sheikra provide good capacity?

Depends on who you ask. I think they have good capacity. But if you ask others they will complain because the coasters don't get 9,500 riders per hour.

Finally the "secret" is out and we can all quit speculating about whether they changed the name or not. Personally I like the name and am glad they kept it.

As for the coaster itself...I said it before but I will say it again...I think it's a fantastic addition to the parks already stellar collection of coasters BUT I think it would look better sitting in Skyriders old spot at Canada's Wonderland

Maybe in 2018.

I'm personally really happy about the restraints. I've experienced both the vest and the old school OTSR's. The OTSR's are horrible, the restraint goes around your head so headbanging is inevitable if you're a tall guy like me. The vests are lightyears better. The ones that lock can be painful if it's tight, but the free ones are fantastic. Plus, no restraint near your head so headbanging can't really happen. They're not too restrictive even given my height. I really hope Valravn's restraints don't lock. Do Gatekeeper's? If they do, then that's unfortunate for Valravn

Also, FINALLY all those people saying the name is changing will shut up

It's probably another ride in what is now a long list of coasters at Cedar Point easily capable of pushing through over 1000 people an hour.

The park already has nine really worthwhile steel coasters and this is number 10. Not only that, Valravn can be consistently expected to open and run every single day of the year (weather permitting). And it'll be fun. And it'll help the flow of the park. Did I mention it'll be fun, work consistently, and put through lots of people? Yes. It will do all those things.

Gonna be an awesome ride, but genuinely surprised it's just being plopped down on a patch of grass. Definitely a disappointment in that regard.

I'm definitely excited to ride it next year, and I'm sure it will be great! That doesn't mean I'm thrilled about the lack of interaction on the drop with a tunnel, or some other sort of theming. However, this is Cedar Point, and not Busch Gardens here, so I suppose I was setting the bar too high in that regard, thinking of what those Dive Coasters did (not to mention most other parks with Dive Coasters, but I digress...) Still, a fabulous addition to Cedar Point, and I can't wait to ride it!

I think my favorite unknown thing about the announcement, was the fact that there is a path now between the Blue Streak/Valravn area, and the Marina Entrance! It'll be so nice not having that be a dead end back there anymore! If that old Pirate Ride building does end up being the area where their eventual Triotech Dark Ride goes, it will only further make that new attraction accessible as well.

One last thing... Regardless of what the track looks like in person, there is no way you can deny that it is orange in the POV videos! I'll never be thrilled with the colors, or many of CP's color choices in general, but thankfully that means nothing when it comes to my enjoyment of the park, and its fantastic coasters!

Just a refresher:

LIFE CYCLE OF A "NEW COASTER" THREAD ON TPR

1. After months of rumors and speculation, the ride is announced. The ride is immediately hit with negative views because it didn't live up to the hype coasterboy2194210 had set when he heard from his friend's uncle that it was going to be a 900 foot prototype.

2. Complaints about: The name, the stats, the colors, the trains, and the station layout, sometimes all in the same post. This is based off a crudely done 3D video.

3. Random new threads pop up in the next few weeks, breaking the news of the brand new coaster, even though the original thread is probably still on the first page near the top.

4. People start complaining about the lack of construction, and wonder if the ride will be finished on time.

5. Construction starts, people start complaining about the lack of construction updates. No pictures from 2:35 this afternoon? But another piece had been put up!!!

6. Criticism over the differences between the constructed portions versus the concept art begin. Page upon page of bitter feuding on whether the angle of descent was incorrect begins.

7. The construction is finished. People start complaining about the lack of testing, and wonder if the ride will be finished on time.

8. Testing starts, people start complaining about the lack of testing updates. No pictures from 2:35 this afternoon? But another train has been cycled!!!

9. Someone rides the coaster and reports back. If the review is so-so to good, the person obviously caught it on a bad early run. If the review is glowing, the person obviously hasn't ridden many coasters.

10. The ride opens. The fanboys descend en masse, declaring the ride the best coaster to ever touch god's green earth. Wild claims are thrown out, like the coaster is able to cure cancer, and has ejector airtime even on the brake run and station.

11. A well-travelled, highly regarded TPR member finally rides it, and gives a good but not great review. Fanboys cry foul, saying the person rode it on an off-day.

12. Pages upon pages of comparison to every single amusement ride known to man ensue.

13. As more people ride, the reviews eventually settle into a particular area (bad, moderate, good, great, excellent) and people stop posting in the thread.

14. Meanwhile, dirt has been dug up somewhere else in the park...the cycle begins again.

My opinion of the ride is that it's basically just icing on the cake and I love it. The park already has a flat out ridiculous coaster lineup and this looks to be another great coaster that makes it even more ridiculous. Do I expect it to match the intensity of Maverick, Dragster, Raptor, Wicked Twister or Magnum? No. Do I expect it to be as mind blowing as Millennium Force? No. But it should be another Gatekeeper / Rougarou style, great, fun coaster with mass appeal, great capacity and great up-time assuming it's not drizzling or slightly breezy.

Personally I'm thrilled and this is probably my most anticipated 2016 coaster with the obvious exception of Lightning Rod.