TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

*pretends to be surprised

Even though it's the leaked layout, I said it once and I'll at it again; That's a good layout. The first half is admittedly uninspired but the second half looks so great it makes up for it. Congrats CP, I think you have a huge wintering your hands. The GP will eat it up and is going to be great. You'll see!

CEDAR POINT UNLEASHES VALRAVN,

THE WORLD’S TALLEST, FASTEST & LONGEST DIVE COASTER

SANDUSKY, Ohio (Sept. 9, 2015) – Cedar Point will change the Lake Erie skyline once again with over 3,400 feet of thrill ride innovation when it introduces Valravn (val-rey-vuhn), the world’s tallest, fastest and longest dive coaster, in 2016. Valravn is the regal king of birds, swooping in to conquer all other dive coasters on the planet with its powerful and intense maneuvers, massive structure and immense ride vehicles. Valravn will become the 18th coaster to take reign at The Roller Coaster Capital of the World!® and will claim its rightful place among other record-breaking roller coasters at Cedar Point.

Riders on Valravn are carried more than 20 stories up to the top of the coaster’s 223-foot-tall first hill.

Once there, the train is held perilously over the edge of the first drop for approximately four seconds, giving anxious guests unparalleled views of the park before free-falling a record 214 feet at a completely vertical, 90-degree angle, reaching a top speed of 75 mph!

Valravn then flips its passengers upside-down through a 165-foot-tall Immelmann, a fighter jet-like maneuver that takes the train into a half loop, then a half roll before traveling in the opposite direction. The train then approaches another drop zone – but there’s no stopping this time as riders plunge 125 feet down at a near 90-degree angle once again, twisting and turning upside-down two more times, once through a dive loop and then through a 270-degree roll before completing its epic journey over 3,415 feet of tarnished copper and silver steel track.

Valravn will shatter an astonishing 10 WORLD RECORDS when it debuts next summer, including:

1. Tallest dive coaster (223feet)

2. Fastest dive coaster (75mph)

3. Longest dive coaster (3,415feet)

4. Most inversionson a dive coaster (3)

5. Longest drop on a dive coaster (214feet)

6. Highest inversionon a dive coaster (165feet)

7. Most roller coasters taller than 200 feet at one amusement park (5)

8. Most rides at one amusement park (72)

9. Most steel roller coaster track at one amusement park (52,125feet/9.9miles)

10. Most roller coaster track at one amusement park (60,110feet/11.4miles)

Valravn is also the signature 100th roller coaster designed by the imaginative coaster minds at Bolliger & Mabillard in Monthey, Switzerland, and will feature ride vehicles never before seen on a dive coaster. Riders will sit eight-across on one of three, 24-passenger floorless trains, featuring tiered seating as well as comfortable over-the-shoulder restraints with interlocking seatbelts, much like those on the park’s GateKeeper wing coaster. Valravn can accommodate approximately 1,200 riders per hour and guests must be 54 inches or taller to ride.

Cedar Point is also making history as the first amusement park ever to utilize 3D virtual reality to introduce a new roller coaster. Guests can experience Valravn in 360-degree virtual reality by downloading the Cedar Point VR app onto their smart phones and inserting them into the Valravn VR Viewer. The app is now available in the Apple App Store and Google Play Store. To take full advantage of the virtual reality simulation,

Valravn VR Viewers can be purchased by visiting http://www.cedarpoint.com/Valravn.

“The introduction of Valravn is a first for the amusement park industry on many fronts, including the exciting virtual reality experience,” stated Jason McClure, vice president and general manager of Cedar Point.

“For the first time ever, guests are able to take an immersive ride on Valravn before it opens next summer – and the actual experience will be unmatched with the tallest lift hill, fastest speed, longest track and most inversions on a dive coaster, right here at Cedar Point, The Roller Coaster Capital of the World.”

Valravn_270DegreeRoll.thumb.jpg.5a5b9fef899b83a5b19ff214e9889b0c.jpg

Valravn_Aerial_1.thumb.jpg.6b3b2bf6cf4bcadd1cfe8bf0b3f8a017.jpg

Valravn_DiveLoop.thumb.jpg.b0f4d303d2329a74ac6d62d2597fa9d9.jpg

Valravn_FirstDive_1.thumb.jpg.884d73d955b89f0447b613ca85f79b11.jpg

Valravn_FirstDive_2.thumb.jpg.29eede99b89d494e4a690d5f2f4ce1a1.jpg

Valravn_FirstDive_3.thumb.jpg.e056f8bddfc1ee6e374d4782dba8e37e.jpg

Valravn_Immelmann_1.thumb.jpg.83544745edb8e47237812ba089a477a4.jpg

Valravn_Immelmann_2.thumb.jpg.c60674e93c6e88cbb096f7ea7580ad44.jpg

Valravn_Immelmann_3.thumb.jpg.cfd620a61da48a47bcbde4b722b25be1.jpg

Valravn_Layout2.thumb.jpg.93bb8933e458c291a7373c663616a123.jpg

Valravn_SecondDive.thumb.jpg.fb315dc0da0da65857bd069d0f6cc28b.jpg

Valravn_Train.thumb.jpg.9f5591e7508beba93a6cd01d2298165e.jpg

Edited by robbalvey

*pretends to be surprised

Even though it's the leaked layout, I said it once and I'll at it again; That's a good layout. The first half is admittedly uninspired but the second half looks so great it makes up for it. Congrats CP, I think you have a huge winner your hands. The GP will eat it up and is going to be great. You'll see!

So I am going to be the first to say it, (and I know you all will probably freak out because I am saying it, and then complain because I am saying something that is not "positive" about the coaster) . . . But I am really sad to see that this coaster is getting the new vest harnesses. For me, and maybe it is just because I am so tall, but the vest harnesses dig into my collarbone, and kill any airtime there would be on the coaster. I would much rather have seen a 10 across train with the old school harnesses. . . However, this is just my opinion.

Regardless of the harness type this coaster will still be a huge hit... I'll still ride it, and I'll still enjoy it.

-- Also, I think the colors look great, and I love the new walkway to Blue Streak. Maybe it will keep that area from being so deserted.

One of the things I'm excited about with Valravn is that the marina entrance will finally be connected to the Blue Streak area. That's going to improve traffic flow a lot.

I've said it before when it leaked and I'll say it again. This'll be one of the best coasters at Cedar Point for me. I LOVE dive coasters, and this looks like one of the better layouts for one I've seen. It also looks like there'll be plenty of spots for us photographers/videographers to get nice and close to the ride and get some awesome angles.

I'm excited for this one!

Looks like it's over 217 ft...so now they go fight the FAA!

Also, I love how everyone keeps asking Tony and the crew for a coaster that goes underwater... that was

a coaster that goes into and under lake Erie... "oops we weren't supposed to talk about that"