TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

There's also a mysterious blue wrapped "thing" underneath Millenium...It's been there for about 2 weeks...It looks sorta like a dive car flipped on its back...(headrests on grass)

I am about 100% positive that is not a Dive Machine car.

1.) Why would it be so far away from the track and supports? And radomly laying on their back in grass?? No.

2.) Don't they usually store the trains inside until they and brought out to be put on the track

3.) Why would they be there so early?? Trains usually don't arrive until well AFTER the track and supports start to arrive.

Also, someone correct me if I am wrong, but don't B&M Trains usually arrive at parks in those boxy metal shipping containers?? Not randomly wrapped in blue plastic.

^ Maybe I'm just crazy... But those look like small little wheels to me. (Which might be what you're trying to point out.)

Every one of the photos I have looked through while trying to find the up stop plates have shown wheels. Or at least what looks like wheels.

You're correct, those are wheels. They switched from the pads to the wheels at some point and unfortunately I can't find any pictures of the pads.

Whew! Glad I am not crazy! I have been searching for photos of the pads as well, I made it as far back as photos from 2006 and Magnum still has the wheels! So at least we know the change happened before 2006!

Edit: Checked photos from 2000 and it already had the upstop wheels... (Still searching)

Edited by DoinItForTheFame

You're correct, those are wheels. They switched from the pads to the wheels at some point and unfortunately I can't find any pictures of the pads.

Whew! Glad I am not crazy! I have been searching for photos of the pads as well, I made it as far back as photos from 2006 and Magnum still has the wheels! So at least we know the change happened before 2006!

The change from plates to wheels happened either before the end of 1989 or at the start of the 1990 season.

The change from plates to wheels happened either before the end of 1989 or at the start of the 1990 season.

Thanks!! I gave up on my search to find pictures of them!!

I imagine they would look something like this:

There's also a mysterious blue wrapped "thing" underneath Millenium...It's been there for about 2 weeks...It looks sorta like a dive car flipped on its back...(headrests on grass)

I am about 100% positive that is not a Dive Machine car.

1.) Why would it be so far away from the track and supports? And radomly laying on their back in grass?? No.

2.) Don't they usually store the trains inside until they and brought out to be put on the track

3.) Why would they be there so early?? Trains usually don't arrive until well AFTER the track and supports start to arrive.

Also, someone correct me if I am wrong, but don't B&M Trains usually arrive at parks in those boxy metal shipping containers?? Not randomly wrapped in blue plastic.

Our thought was CP having the car for a photo op for the big reveal...they would probably look like that inside the shipping crate, along with styrofoam keeping it tight. We noticed it the day the big reveal was supposed to go down, but got pushed back. So it's not impossible to think it got unpacked prior to it getting pushed back. I'm not saying it is or it isn't...but the bottom looks like headrests, and the top looks like it has plywood covering/protecting the business end of a coaster car. We should have gone back and rode the train for a better photo, because the sides have a bird-like face looking outwards. The photo doesn't really show it, unfortunately.

Our thought was CP having the car for a photo op for the big reveal...they would probably look like that inside the shipping crate, along with styrofoam keeping it tight. We noticed it the day the big reveal was supposed to go down, but got pushed back. So it's not impossible to think it got unpacked prior to it getting pushed back. I'm not saying it is or it isn't...but the bottom looks like headrests, and the top looks like it has plywood covering/protecting the business end of a coaster car. We should have gone back and rode the train for a better photo, because the sides have a bird-like face looking outwards. The photo doesn't really show it, unfortunately.

Well only time will tell! I am not saying that it is or isn't either, to me it just seems highly un-likey that it is. I really think if it were the trains, and they did get them out for the big reveal, and the big reveal ended up no happening they would put the trains some where... Better? Safer? Smarter? Maybe back inside a storage/shipping container, or maybe inside a building. I just don't see a park leaving a brand new very expensive roller coaster train just laying in the grass some where. I feel like it would be back in a box like the one below. (Yes, I know it is from a different manufacture, but I can't imagine that shipping procedures are much different.)

I just don't see a park leaving a brand new very expensive roller coaster train just laying in the grass some where. I feel like it would be back in a box like the one below.

B..b...but..you just posted this on Friday.

I think it's entirely plausible that's a train at CP. And entirely plausible it's not. Heh, I can't be wrong!

Well only time will tell! I am not saying that it is or isn't either, to me it just seems highly un-likey that it is. I really think if it were the trains, and they did get them out for the big reveal, and the big reveal ended up no happening they would put the trains some where... Better? Safer? Smarter? Maybe back inside a storage/shipping container, or maybe inside a building. I just don't see a park leaving a brand new very expensive roller coaster train just laying in the grass some where. I feel like it would be back in a box like the one below. (Yes, I know it is from a different manufacture, but I can't imagine that shipping procedures are much different.)

The announcement is inside the Jack Aldridge theater, so that train you're talking about could be inside there already waiting for Sept 9.

Magnum only had the upstop plates the first season as everytime the train would go over the small hills, you would hear it scrape and screech. So they replaced them quickly. After the first season, they also raised the drop between the third hill and the pretzel since it was slamming riders down too much.

I wonder why they even implemented them to begin with. It's not like upstop wheels were a foreign concept at the time. All of the Arrow loopers had them. Were they expecting the coaster to be a really tall mine train or something????

They probably didn't think a up stop wheels were necessary, considering that Magnum didn't have any inversions. They had been successful with the under track pads in the past on rides like Gemini, and at its core, Magnum is basically a 200ft mine train. You also have to remember that there were almost no computers used in the designing of Magnum, actually Magnum was one of the last major coasters to not use Computer technology. All of the track was hand shaped on sight rather than prefabricated in a factory. This is also why they modified the ride quite a bit after the initial testing, the raising of the dip before the turnaround, adding of the trims, removal of the up stop pads.

Coasters in those days were a lot more trial and error than they are today, due to the lack of computers they often built full scale prototypes of rides to test the concepts.

I just don't see a park leaving a brand new very expensive roller coaster train just laying in the grass some where. I feel like it would be back in a box like the one below.

B..b...but..you just posted this on Friday.

Keywords: VERY EXPENSIVE.

The announcement is inside the Jack Aldridge theater, so that train you're talking about could be inside there already waiting for Sept 9.

Which is another reason why it wouldn't just be laying around underneath MF's lift hill.

I know its probably not very likely, but it would be really funny if the leaked layouts we have seen for Valravn turn out to be completely fake and what CP announces would a different layout entirely. SURPRISE!!! lol

I know its probably not very likely, but it would be really funny if the leaked layouts we have seen for Valravn turn out to be completely fake and what CP announces would a different layout entirely. SURPRISE!!! lol

If this were a traditional leak, yes I would consider this a possibility.

However, the renders we have were ripped from the code of an app. The Venn Diagram of Coaster Enthusiasts and App Developers who have the know-how to get into the code, and know how to interpret it and rip data from said app is incredibly small, and that seems like a terrible way to tease or fake enthusiasts out. It would be like dropping a hint for a new Marvel movie in the script of a planned Disney movie. If they were indeed fake, I think they'd go KI "Bat" wingrider website leak style.