TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I read the old Sandusky Register memo earlier, one thing that stuck out to me was that it said it would have four inversions.

Maybe the Sandusky Register is not 100% correct??

The leaked layout (if it is legit) only has three, which makes me wonder if another design was originally considered or the camel back was originally supposed to be a zero g roll or something.

Maybe the "leaked" layout... Is not the real layout??

A loop wouldn't have been bad either, im also glad it looks like there will be no splashdown.

Just because I am curious... Why would you want there to NOT be a splashdown?? The splashdowns are unique, and make the coaster look even more beautiful. Just think of how beautiful Diamondback looks when going through it's splashdown.

This ride is going to kick serious @$$.

This I do agree with!!! I'm glad to finally see people coming around and accepting the fact that Dive Machines do not suck, and they are not bad coasters!! I think this is going to be a great fit for the park!!

I read the old Sandusky Register memo earlier, one thing that stuck out to me was that it said it would have four inversions.

Maybe the Sandusky Register is not 100% correct??

The leaked layout (if it is legit) only has three, which makes me wonder if another design was originally considered or the camel back was originally supposed to be a zero g roll or something.

Maybe the "leaked" layout... Is not the real layout??

A loop wouldn't have been bad either, im also glad it looks like there will be no splashdown.

Just because I am curious... Why would you want there to NOT be a splashdown?? The splashdowns are unique, and make the coaster look even more beautiful. Just think of how beautiful Diamondback looks when going through it's splashdown.

This ride is going to kick serious @$$.

This I do agree with!!! I'm glad to finally see people coming around and accepting the fact that Dive Machines do not suck, and they are not bad coasters!! I think this is going to be a great fit for the park!!

Yes, I am fully aware the Sandusky Register could be wrong. (Even though im pretty sure the memo for Gatekeeper was really, really accurate)

I am also aware the leak could be false (why i put "if it is legit"). I was just bringing up something cool that is totally possible and because im a nerd and its just speculation.

The reason i am glad there is no splashdown, is because without one it leaves more room for a more exciting element that meets my personal preference. Don't get me wrong i like splashdowns, they are great for theming and look very visually appealing. I rode SheiKra and i thought it was cool, however i wish they gave you a little splash like a log flume instead of you not being able to see the splash and it just slowing the train down. (I want to get a little wet!! Yes, i know alot of people don't wan't to get wet and when they do they make the decision to ride a water ride or go to Soak City)

Look at Valravn's leaked layout, imagine a splash down in the place of that camelback. A splash down is a piece of straight track with a body of water, the only part of the train that hits the water is the scoops on the train which work as slight brakes. Would you rather have a camel back with airtime or a piece of straight track that probably costs more? (Ditch, water, scoops, drains, upkeep of water, etc.)

I do like the splashdown on Diamondback though, because there is a lot to the ride before it and it looks great in that area! However, dive machines are short so i would rather have an exciting element than a piece of straight track unless you are already planning on spending top dollar on theming. This is just based off my personal preference, but when i rode SheiKra the splashdown did nothing for me but the rest of the ride was still enough to break into my top ten steel coasters.

Yes, Dive coasters are kick @$$ based off my experience of only one of them. I feel like alot of people that have been complaining about them have never ridden one so they don't comprehend how such a short coaster could be that fun, but it is VERY fun.

Camelback with airtime >>> splashdown

Edited by blakelemay23

To the person asking about halloweekends... the secret is to go on Sunday. You don't get scare zones because the park isn't open late, but you have no lines for rides OR houses/mazes! They do not close the park down and its just like a regular day at the park. Not sure what black out dates you speak of. Any day ticket or season pass gets you the Halloween stuff. Unless something has changed this year?

^^Thats all great in theory... However, being a new school B&M (and a dive coaster at that), airtime will be minimal/non-existant
Gosh i hope not! I was really dissapointed with the camelback on Gatekeeper (i would rather there be a loop, i really enjoyed the one on Wild Eagle!) It sounds totally realistic though, but even if there is no airtime i think i would still rather prefer a camelback to a splashdown even though it is not as visually appealing.

^^Thats all great in theory... However, being a new school B&M (and a dive coaster at that), airtime will be minimal/non-existant

I honestly, have no idea what your talking about. Have you even ridden a dive machine before? They have some of the best airtime on B&Ms, and a lot of it!

On a tangent, I really am fed up with people claiming that new B&Ms have no airtime. Just because you aren't getting your femurs snapped in half by the lap bar doesn't mean there's no airtime. I haven't been on a single B&M hyper or giga that hasn't had awesome airtime. Similarly, Griffon has insane airtime over both drops, and the speed hill before the splash down. Fury 325 has sideways holy crap airtime on the trebel clef, and borderline ejector on the Camelback's coming into the brakes. It's really annoying to see people comment stuff like "B&Ms have no airtime" when that is literally/factually incorrect.

I honestly, have no idea what your talking about. Have you even ridden a dive machine before? They have some of the best airtime on B&Ms, and a lot of it!

On a tangent, I really am fed up with people claiming that new B&Ms have no airtime. Just because you aren't getting your femurs snapped in half by the lap bar doesn't mean there's no airtime. I haven't been on a single B&M hyper or giga that hasn't had awesome airtime. Similarly, Griffon has insane airtime over both drops, and the speed hill before the splash down. Fury 325 has sideways holy crap airtime on the trebel clef, and borderline ejector on the Camelback's coming into the brakes. It's really annoying to see people comment stuff like "B&Ms have no airtime" when that is literally/factually incorrect.

Well said. It seems a lot of people want every hill to be El Toro's RT hill

I thought Griffon was decent, it's a great fit at BGW. CP getting a dive machine which would only be the 3rd tallest coaster at the park is kinda hmmmmm....

Griffon definitely has one of the dullest layouts of the dive machine, and the layout for Valravn looks much more interesting.

You're getting - In comparison to Griffon:

-A longer/more awesome drop - full of airtime

-Essentially the same immelman - still a great element

-A possibly high-G turn into the MCBR

-A second awesome drop

-A dive loop

-An awesome looking barrel roll into a helix

-An airtime hill - this has some potential

Looks like a great fit for CP, and I wish I had the ability to ride it for myself, but until I convince my parental units to let me drive to CP from VA, I'll stick with Griffon, which is still pretty darn fun.

Gosh i hope not! I was really dissapointed with the camelback on Gatekeeper (i would rather there be a loop, i really enjoyed the one on Wild Eagle!) It sounds totally realistic though, but even if there is no airtime i think i would still rather prefer a camelback to a splashdown even though it is not as visually appealing.

Hmmm, complaining about a hill that isnt very forceful on a ride that's designed to be not very forceful.

Hmmm, complaining about a hill that isnt very forceful on a ride that's designed to be not very forceful.

You can get some nice floater over that hill on the back row. Honestly, the back row provides the most "forceful" experience, it even managed some floater on that hill before the final brakes. But as you said, this ride isn't supposed to be about intensity at all. It's purpose is to provide the freedom of flight.

If you like roller coasters that are thrilling, fun, smooth, tall, fast, long, and extremely re-ride-able; GateKeeper is the "go to" coaster. With all that in a coaster, it not being a super-intense airtime machine seems vaguely relevant. If someone wanted that, and rode GateKeeper, they obviously don't know how roller coaster work.

I'll it.

As I said in the SWO thread, it's all personal preference people. We're all right, and nobody's wrong. I would think that's a situation that would appeal to people, but I guess some just like to argue...

Honestly I loved leviathan, and at some points I find more enjoyable than Millenium Force. Every time I ride Maverick, I honestly do feel like I'm about to get my legs broken by it.

You lost me here. I'm pretty sure every coaster exerts forces on its riders. Gatekeeper obviously has plenty of forces, but the speed over the camelback doesen't exert enough forces for me.

I've been on Diamondback and Nitro and there was barely any airtime on either one of them.

I've been on Diamondback and Nitro and there was barely any airtime on either one of them.

Haven't been on either to confirm. All the B&M coasters I have ridden are airtime machines. Also, strange considering that many consider either of those coasters to be the best B&M hypers.

Which row were you sitting in, I only ask this because without a pre-drop on the newer hypers, the front portion of the train hardly ever gets airtime over the drop. Apollo on the other hand takes the drop going about 15mph, and even the front has great floater in the first drop. In addition, Diamondback's massively long trains means theres greater deviation in forces depending on where you sit.

While I don't feel any air on the B&M hypers, I think the dive coasters have great airtime.

I know it's all a matter of personal preference, but I find it nearly impossible to believe that people who say they don't "feel" any airtime, aren't still spending plenty of time with their bottoms off the seat (unless they stapled themselves or are too large?). And that, my friends, is dictionary definition "airtime". Just because it's not ejector air, doesn't mean it's not airtime. I think when we all discuss airtime here at TPR, there is a need to be specific regarding which kind of airtime you are referring to, because otherwise it's just a cause for contention.