TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

On a completely different topic, I think so many people have been distracted by this that they haven't even noticed the brand new haunt on Frontier Trail!

It's right under Millennium's first overbank right by the barn. The building (I believe) used to be a storage building and now looks like it's being turned into a haunt. The signs around the park teasing Halloweekends say "don't slaughter a visit this fall" so I'm assuming it's going to be a slaughterhouse type haunt. I think it's in the perfect location for one too! I've always wanted a slaughterhouse haunt in that exact area.

There appears to be a brand new poured concrete path that leads to the building and the building has what looks to be a door cut out of the wall, and you can see where the wall used to be. My guess is that you'll exit from this path, and enter over by the barn.

I took the pics in the morning of the coaster campout, which is why the gate is open. Don't worry, I didn't go anywhere that I wasn't supposed to. As you can see, there's a ton of metal kitchen stuff out in front of the building, which are typical things you'd see in a butcher shop.

While I'm still not 100% certain this is what this will be, all signs seem to point to it.

[attachment=0]IMG_8896.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=1]IMG_8897.JPG[/attachment]

This is going to sound so stupid, but maybe that kitchen stuff is going to be used in a haunted house for halloweekends?

Everything at Cedar Point seems to be very well maintained aesthetically except for Raptor. I agree that it needs a paint job, and it really needs work in the station. It's dark (at night) and dated. Also, I think most of all it needs bright, white lights like Gatekeeper has.

Paint job? Yes

Work in the station? What are you thinking? ...aside from the numerous large spiders that freak most of the people out I don't see anything wrong

More lights? Eh...IMO no, especially coming off of a weekend of Raptor at night. Nighttime rides are fantastic because Raptor is cruising in the "dark" and if I wanted to ride a nighttime ride with all the lights, I'll walk over to Gatekeeper.

I hit up CP this weekend around National Roller Coaster Day and had a blast riding everything (minus a few flats) -What stood out were nighttime rides on Maverick, MF, TTD and Raptor.

Maybe when Cedar Point announces the ride its name will become more popular, especially since i think the ride is pronounced Valravn (val-rahn) instead of Valravn (val-rov-in) or Valravn (val-raven). I think val-rahn sounds better.

Tell me, did you write the New York Times Best Seller "How to Confuse The General Public With Idiotic Pronunciations Which Completely Deviate From the Already Established Bird/Raven Theme"?

What? Is this a joke? Valravn is pronounced VAL-RAHN (or VAL-RON) in danish. Just because Valravn has the word "ravn" which looks like "raven" and basically means that, doesen't mean it is pronounced as so. Valravn has two syllables, val-rav-en or val-rov-en is extra word play. So IMO when the coaster is announced and a dude in the video says "introducing Valravn (val-rahn)" or some shit it will be a hell of alot easier for the GP to pronounce from there on out....BUT at the end of the day nobody cares what the coaster is called or how its pronnounced, just enthusiasts like me

Work in the station? What are you thinking? ...aside from the numerous large spiders that freak most of the people out I don't see anything wrong

More spiders! They are part of the charm of Cedar Point (at some point the coaster gods exchanged their trees for spiders)! I remember the crazy freaking huge spiders in the Cedars dorms when I lived there. A custodian would come by once a week and hose the breezeways in an attempt to drown out a certain percentage of spiders. We used to say the spiders were good luck.

I was at Cedar Point August 5th. As we were leaving the All Wheels Extreme show, I saw these two massive yellow structures laying on the beach. They look like they could attach to Windseeker, but I have no idea what they are. Does anyone else have an idea what they are for?

2123348951_CPsupport.jpg.1a3da9a9c8a2df3310d671b39cf80b97.jpg

What is it?

I was at Cedar Point August 5th. As we were leaving the All Wheels Extreme show, I saw these two massive yellow structures laying on the beach. They look like they could attach to Windseeker, but I have no idea what they are. Does anyone else have an idea what they are for?

That's part of the EVAC, platform for Windseeker.

That's part of the EVAC, platform for Windseeker.

Thanks! I gave it a long shot and googled it. A nice interruption to the Raptor VS. Valravn arguments.

That's for Windseeker evacuation.

So... Did anyone go to the Coaster Campout over the weekend..? Seems like the one at CP was the least publicized out of all of them... And that's weird to me because they were the ones to start it... Maybe it's the whole raptor thing?

I feel worst for the people on the ride who had to hit him. Thats not fare to people following rules
I'm sorry for anyone who was on the train and was either physically or emotionally impacted,...

This, this, and this x1000. Being in a vehicle that impacts and kills someone can be life-changingly traumatic. I once watched a brief piece that interviewed train conductors and car drivers victimized by suicidal individuals jumping in front of them. Some people can shake it off, but in many cases it induced massive, lifelong, depressive emotions and the need for intensive therapy.

My heart goes out so incredibly deeply to those riders.

And..psssssst... it's "fair" hehe, "fare" is for the bus

An Amtrak employee told me that every train engineer has hit someone, whether it was an accident or intentional (by the person being hit). It doesn't happen every day, but everyone who drives a train will have this experience.

I saw a video recently where a limosine got stuck on a train crossing. Everyone got out but their signaling to the oncoming train did not prevent the train from smashing into it. The driver of the limo ran after the train and when it finally stopped he was yelling at the engineer to know if the engineer had seen him. The reply was that he had ten thousand tons behind him and there was no way he could have stopped in such a short distance.

There are group support efforts for train drivers (Amtrak and freight) to help them cope with this unavoidable occupational hazard.

I hope Cedar Point will have similar counseling available for their employees, if needed. At least no one else was injured by this guy's action and the passengers on the coaster train didn't seem to know what had happened. Not having a good view from most inverted coaster seats was helpful here.

I hope Cedar Point will have similar counseling available for their employees, if needed. At least no one else was injured by this guy's action and the passengers on the coaster train didn't seem to know what had happened. Not having a good view from most inverted coaster seats was helpful here.

I found out today that a fellow co-worker at my job has a daughter working at the Point and was at Raptor at the time of the incident and saw it happen. There was counseling available for the employees.

Not to mention light curtains, photo eyes, etc....can be tripped by other objects. Birds are a prime example.

And it's not like Raptor doesn't have enough feathered rats (seagulls) by the thousands. I'm sure they'd trip photoeyes all the time, especially there.

641825310_seagullsatCPsuck.jpg.f8b459499286920750574b903cba1bf8.jpg

The seagulls by Raptor

Not to mention light curtains, photo eyes, etc....can be tripped by other objects. Birds are a prime example.

And it's not like Raptor doesn't have enough feathered rats (seagulls) by the thousands. I'm sure they'd trip photoeyes all the time, especially there.

I love animals, but pigeons and sea gulls are so obnoxious

If the announcement were to be in December, we would at least see the layout of the footers and the lift hill/drop at the very least in place by then so honestly it wouldn't make a huge difference for enthusiasts. We would know if the leaked plans are real or not (I have a suspicion they are).

I feel like it wouldn't make sense for them to originally want to do a big announcement on park property during the operating season - boosting attendance as well as publicity, to having the event in December... Where would they holed said announcement? And I'm not sure many people would be willing to wait in the cold for just an announcement and nothing else. Not to mention I doubt they'd keep the 9:00 pm timing. It wouldn't make sense! And by December I'm sure they'd be vertical on construction, and it would be like Tempesto all over again! All the enthusiasts figured that one out WAY before it was announced. Even if that's the case with this, at least CP might have a few more tricks we didn't see yet... But f they wait until December and suddenly we're seeing them digging a big ditch or building a splashdown or SOMETHING that isn't in the leaked layout, then it takes away the little element of surprise they have left. I'm hoping they meant 9, 19, or 29 over 129. They need to get the announcement out there before Six Flags... That would be optimal... But who knows at this point...