TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Somebody was killed on Big Thunder Mountain Railroad at Disneyland in 2003. They didn't rename it. Why would it make sense to rename a ride that hasn't even been built yet and, therefore, hasn't killed anyone?

I agree with you 100%. Maybe we are the only 2 people who have any common sense.

I HIGHLY doubt Cedar Point will rename the ride. I think they are simply holding off on the announcement till after the man is laid to rest, (if he hasn't been already) just for respect for the family, and a few months till people forget about this incident.

I think that Cedar Point might want to use their new major coaster as a springboard back into a more positive light. However, they probably dont want news channels to use it as an excuse to bring the whole thing back up. The timing will be tricky PR wise. Id assume they will atleast wait until after the funeral is said and done which is a respectable thing to do.

My bet is end of August. Six Flags is announcing all of their rides in early September. Since they probably want all eyes on them, the announcement will either come before them or a decent amount of time after them.

All things considered, they probably want to announce before parts arrive and they lose their big moment. It will be interesting to see when they will make the announcement from a marketing point of view.

Out of curiousity, where exactly did they state the announcement would be delayed?

We know that due to this incident, the name Valravn is likely to be scrapped. Does anybody have an idea of what name the dive coaster will go by? I'm thinking Centurion, as Cedar Fair trademarked that name with Fury 325, and it would fit well with the colour scheme and the names of rides within the park.

Is this kid just trolling or just stupid?

Or maybe he's using common sense. Cedar Point should rename it.

Somebody was killed on Big Thunder Mountain Railroad at Disneyland in 2003. They didn't rename it. Why would it make sense to rename a ride that hasn't even been built yet and, therefore, hasn't killed anyone?

It's going to be renamed whether you like it or not. Why else would they postpone it to possibly September or October?

Because they've decided that it would be in poor taste to have a big new-ride-announcement celebration soon after someone was killed at the park (even due to his own stupidity)?

What is our society becoming?:(

Who the F--- cares whether the ride name is offensive to certain people. Its a mythological creature. The fact that this dipsh-t jumped two fences, ignored signs, and became Raptor prey has nothing to do with Valravn.

Correct, it has been stated numerous times that Centurion doesn't belong to CF anymore, yet people still think it's a valid name...

It still is on Trademarkia on the Cedar Fair business area it says...

"CENTURION

By: Cedar Fair, L.P.

Metal key chains

Souvenir magnets; sunglasses; cameras

Posters, notepads, postcards, pens and pencils, newsletters in the field of amusement parks, photographs; paper pennants

Non-metal and non-leather key chains, picture frames, paper picture frames for souvenir photographs; plastic pennants; non-metal beach safes

Souvenir sport bottles sold empty, beverageware; shot glasses; cups

Clothing, namely shoes; t-shirts, shorts, sweat shirts, sweat pants, sweat shorts; and headwear, namely hats and caps

Amusement park rides; puzzles; stuffed toy animals; light up toys

Amusement park services.

BTW I'll just leave this...

That was trademarked by Cedar Fair... Not Cedar Point. Cedar Point trademarks their own rides, not Cedar Fair. Also, wasn't this name trademarked back before Fury was built??

I know Cedar Point trademarks names, that's the downside... Maybe they could transfer

Also it was trademarked before Fury. It's old but it probably would surprise LOTS of people!

I know countless people are about to call me an idiot, but I honestly think the name "valravn" was a bad idea in the first place. I mean seriously, the word literally translates to "death bird." That's very different from something like Centurion, which, yes, killed people, but doesn't literally translate to "Killer Roman."

I'm not saying they should change the name, I'm just saying that, with a lot of people unreasonably afraid of roller coasters as it is AND a recent death at the park... "Raven of Death" is (--not probably is, not might be-- is) a marketing nightmare.

I know countless people are about to call me an idiot, but I honestly think the name "valravn" was a bad idea in the first place. I mean seriously, the word literally translates to "death bird." That's very different from something like Centurion, which, yes, killed people, but doesn't literally translate to "Killer Roman."

I'm not saying they should change the name, I'm just saying that, with a lot of people unreasonably afraid of roller coasters as it is AND a recent death at the park... "Raven of Death" is (--not probably is, not might be-- is) a marketing nightmare.

I mean.... Banshee doesn't really translate to "Loving caring locker."

You understand roller coasters are supposed to intimidate and scare riders, correct?

It wouldn't surprise me if they change the name for that very reason. In this politically correct, "we have to make sure nobody is offended by anything" world, a name that implies death in any way after an accident like this is probably getting scrapped.

But really though, how many people are really going to look into the name? I feel like there is a lot of overlap between the group of people they would be worried about offending or scaring away because of this accident, and the group of people who would just hear "Valravn" and think it's just a cool name and never look into its origin.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but I'll mention it again, in more detail...

"In the Cajun legends, the creature is said to prowl the swamps around Acadiana and Greater New Orleans, and possibly the fields or forests of the regions. The rougarou most often is described as a creature with a human body and the head of a wolf or dog, similar to the werewolf legend.

Often the story-telling has been used to inspire fear and obedience. One such example is stories that have been told by elders to persuade Cajun children to behave. According to another variation, the wolf-like beast will hunt down and kill Catholics who do not follow the rules of Lent. This coincides with the French Catholic loup-garou stories, according to which the method for turning into a werewolf is to break Lent seven years in a row.

A common blood sucking legend says that the rougarou is under the spell for 101 days. After that time, the curse is transferred from person to person when the rougarou draws another human’s blood. During that day the creature returns to human form. Although acting sickly, the human refrains from telling others of the situation for fear of being killed."

That's just an excerpt about the legend of the Rougarou, taken from Wikipedia. I'm pretty sure that most GP don't know that when they ride CP's "new" Floorless coaster. Heck, I bet there's some of you reading this who didn't know that until now. Not exactly a pleasant and positive thing for a coaster to be named after (especially for lapsed Catholics), but nobody cares. When Valravn IS announced after this delay, the same will be true, in spite of this unfortunate incident...

The only basis for the rumor is that CP changed the original name of Mantis from Banshee 20 years ago. Sounds legit.

Cedar Fair just built Banshee. Did you forget so soon?

No.

Banshee was originally going to be the name of Mantis but Cedar Point decided to change it because of a possible backlash from people who might find it offensive. Online enthusiast crackpots are using that as a precedent for why Cedar Point may change the name of Valravn.

I

A common blood sucking legend says that the rougarou is under the spell for 101 days. After that time, the curse is transferred from person to person when the rougarou draws another human’s blood. During that day the creature returns to human form. Although acting sickly, the human refrains from telling others of the situation for fear of being killed."

What if Rougarou was open for 101 days and then the man was killed

I

What if Rougarou was open for 101 days and then the man was killed

Fell 5 days short of 101.

That would have been a really strange coincidence.

That is true but that might not come to mind when they think of it...

BTW I'll just leave this...

Note that the filing of the trademark has been suspended. You cut your pic off just before the status section.