TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

^ & ^^

I agree that the only reason to postpone the announcement that makes sense to me is a complete renaming/re-theming of the ride, especially with Raptor opening back up today. That, or waiting a significant amount of time to distance the park/announcement from the tragedy.

If the assumed Valravn name and theme is correct, I'm sure a lot of people/media could find CP to be distasteful and unsympathetic to the tragedy that just happened if they announced the new coaster as planned.

I doubt the park would delay their announcement if they didn't feel it necessary or a good PR move. Cedar Point's PR department is pretty spot on.

I don't quite get the postponement of the announcement. If the death had been at all the parks fault, or a child had died, or an onride death I would understand, but this seems like too much. I suppose they want to avoid the "Cedar Point, where a guest died last week, announced their big new coaster today" headline on the news but if they wait till next month it will just be "Cedar Point, where a guest died last month, announced their big new coaster today". As callous as it may sound, people will get over this quickly as most of us still understand that this was a really dumb decision made entirely by a guest where the park did everything they could.

Maybe this being the parks 'first official death' has them being overly cautious.

I agree, and even Raptor is open already, wouldn't it make more sense to postpone the opening of the ride that killed someone (do to the own guests fault) then to push back an announcement that isn't really correlated to it at all.

I disagree.... the story of how the "innocent schoolteacher" who "just loved riding roller coasters with his friends" was tragically killed while looking for his oh-so-important phone has been making national headlines. that will be enough for the GP to associate all things Cedar Point with "bad". The best thing would be for the park to wait until this has died down and then hopefully move on from this terrible, but avoidable incident.

^And you may in fact be right, but that just depresses me more! We live in a society where it's the parks fault that this idiot did something stupid and a place where someone sues a restaurant that specializes in throwing rolls for getting hit with a throwed roll.

The articles I've read though do seem to make it fairly clear that the responsibility lies with the teacher and not Cedar Point. And since the park seems to have returned to fairly normal operation, maybe something else is going on? Still kind of undecided about this but I guess, in time, we'll find out anyway.

If Alton Towers has a safety malfunction that injures a train full of riders, nobody on this board panics, but when a single idiot essentially kills himself at Cedar Point, everybody loses their minds!

Again, what is with these kinds of posts?!?!? We had over 24,000 views on the Smiler accident page and then about 500 posts after it. Where are you getting your data?!?!? Not from TPR because it's not correct.

And on another note - even if your data was right... WHO CARES?!?! Is it a contest on how much we talk about one tragedy versus the other???

I knew I should have put the disclaimer -- *This is not a serious statement but a parody based on a quote from the Joker's character in The Dark Knight.

I see a re-theme coming for sure. No matter how the park could spin it, unfortunately the media will not be able to report on the announcement of the new coaster without mention of the incident. I don't think the media or GP is making it out to be the parks fault, in general people seem to agree the guy did something he was not supposed to. Most comments I see on news sites and social media are "such a stupid thing to do, etc". I'm honestly surprised how minimal the "roller coasters need to be torn down" stuff is with this one - Talon getting stuck on the lift in the rain last week made all the local news around here and the comments on the sites were out of control.

But the media will be quick to point out the theme of the ride and how it connects to the death and it makes the park look insensitive. It's unfortunate for the park, but it's unavoidable. CP's PR team knows this and no doubt they are making some adjustments behind the scenes. Honestly, it doesn't really matter since they haven't confirmed anything about the ride so they can still change/do whatever they want.

^And you may in fact be right, but that just depresses me more! We live in a society where it's the parks fault that this idiot did something stupid and a place where someone sues a restaurant that specializes in throwing rolls for getting hit with a throwed roll.

Or the lady that sued McDonalds for not having a hot label on coffee cups. Then there's somebody who sued a fast food place for only getting one napkin with their meal. The list just goes on and on. If people just used some common sense and follow the rules, there wouldn't be so many restrictions and dollars wasted on safety warnings everywhere.

I don't see why anything needs to be changed regarding the (soon to be announced) ride itself.

It's better to wait for this media storm to die off before making your next big announcement. Or else the media will inevitably headline "Cedar Point unveils next big thrill ride, only days after man dies at park." Let Kim Kardashian fall down the stairs, and another Donald Trump media fiasco take over the public's attention first.

I'm not sure how effective a name change would be at this point. All the leaks have made it on to the news and into papers already. They can't really hide the fact that it existed anymore. If I had to guess I'd say they'll wait a week or two for all the coverage to die down then announce the ride.

Or the lady that sued McDonalds for not having a hot label on coffee cups. Then there's somebody who sued a fast food place for only getting one napkin with their meal. The list just goes on and on. If people just used some common sense and follow the rules, there wouldn't be so many restrictions and dollars wasted on safety warnings everywhere.

You know, there's some interesting research that shows safety warnings may actually be making us less safe. Possibly we're assuming if there's no warning against it, it must be fine; or perhaps we just see so many warnings that we don't really take them seriously. WARNING: DEATH IMMINENT would seem a lot scarier if it weren't attached to toasters.

For all we know, it's possible that the funeral for this gentleman is on Tuesday... If you want to think about terrible news headlines like "Cedar Point announces new Roller Coaster on the same day as its first fatal accidents guest is laid to rest" sounds pretty shitty....

The change is date of the announcement is not going to change the fact that there is a new ride for next season...

I totally agree on that, this is all about showing respect to the victim's family. A very respectful and professional decision from Cedar Fair !!!

As much as I hate this entire situation and how much one persons stupidity has had such a huge effect on the park... I think what you said is 100% accurate. It was a very good, very professional decision from Cedar Fair to show respect to the family when it wasn't even the parks fault to begin with.

I swear if I see the whole McDonald Coffee Lawsuit mentioned as being frivolous I'm gonna flip a table.

These are the facts about this case...

• Ms. Liebeck (the person who spilled the coffee) received 3rd-degree burns over 6% of her body mostly in inner thighs, butt and groin areas.
  • She was forced to spend $20,000 for medical treatment and spent 8 Days in the hospital.
  • McDonald's kept their coffee at well above a temperature that coffee would normally be served at.
  • There had been 700 reports of people suffering burns from their coffee over the past 10 years due to it's high temperature as well as numerous lawsuits and did nothing about the issue.

Additionally, Liebeck only ended up receiving less than $600,000 even though the jury initially awarded $2.7 million in damages.

The New York Times did a really nice report about the whole situation. Watch it Here -

The postponement was definitely the right move, and I was only taken aback for a split second when I saw it announced. Everyone will quickly forget the exact timing anyway. I would only be irked if they do change anything about the ride, but I think that's jumping to conclusions and don't personally predict it (though I can be naive...).

I swear if I see the whole McDonald Coffee Lawsuit mentioned as being frivolous I'm gonna flip a table.

• Ms. Liebeck (the person who spilled the coffee) received 3rd-degree burns over 6% of her body mostly in inner thighs, butt and groin areas.
  • She was forced to spend $20,000 for medical treatment and spent 8 Days in the hospital.
  • McDonald's kept their coffee at well above a temperature that coffee would normally be served at.
  • There had been 700 reports of people suffering burns from their coffee over the past 10 years due to it's high temperature as well as numerous lawsuits and did nothing about the issue.

Additionally, Liebeck only ended up receiving less than $600,000 even though the jury initially awarded $2.7 million in damages.

The New York Times did a really nice report about the whole situation. Watch it Here -

Thank you for this. Hearing people always use this case when talking about lawsuits without actually checking the facts makes me want to *almost* punch a baby.

I did watch the video, and I am still on the side of McDonalds for this one. No matter the exact temp of the coffee, when you purchase a hot drink you should be expected to know that it is hot. The woman is still at fault for spilling the coffee. Especially trying to open a lid to a flimsy cup on a slanted seat. The cups have spouts for a reason. Yes, I do feel bad for her, but I wish that I could have sued every time I burned myself on a hot surface for being too hot.

Trying to shift this back on topic, people should be held against for their own actions. Don't hop fences that say do not enter, and don't attempt to open a flimsy cup in your lap with a hot liquid inside.

Wow, this thread has really taught me a lot about the idiocracy of humanity. I cannot believe we have people who felt Cedar Point was partially at fault for not having enough signage and I can't believe that people ACTUALLY BELIEVE that the woman who spilled hot coffee on herself isn't at fault.

Congrats on making this come true....

Idiocracy-is-becoming-an-epidemic-in-American-schools-photo-credit-Facebook.thumb.jpg.807645d517c758e19c1fb4b709f48d88.jpg

Another thing I'm surprised at is that the guy didn't see or hear the train which runs on track that amplifies sound because it's hollow; in other words, that thing roars. Reports say he was hit in the back of the head (ouch) and I really cannot see how the train "sneaked up on him like that" so to speak. Either way, a smartphone isn't worth losing your life. Apparently he either thought he could get away with it or he didn't care

Bummer that I'll be missing the announcement when I'm there this week, but I understand that Cedar Point is respecting both the man's family and the press by holding it off. Oh well. I'll just have to wait for the web stream online when it happens.

I think Valravn is going to be used in 2017 for Kings Dominion or Canada's Wonderland's new coaster.

What're you talking about? The logo was leaked and it says Cedar Point. The name is the ONE thing that you can be sure of! You think they would ditch the name last minute?? Haha no way!

Edit: I read through everyone's speculation on the name, Valravn. Of course they're not going to change it, simmer down everyone! It's so unlikely that they would change the name because of this, every intimidating coaster name can be traced back to death in some sort, it's a stretch really. Everyone is exaggerating, they've postponed the announcement in order to stay out of the media for a little while, nothing else. Sheesh

Edited by chickenbowl