TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Cedar Point just said they are postponing their 2016 announcement event.

Indefinitely...

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/entertainment/attractions/9323526

Yet, they still are working to attract as many people as possible on the 18th offering good deals for Bring a Friend

https://www.cedarpoint.com/ticket-category/Daily-Tickets#BringFriend

Saying it the hard way: It too bad that we have to wait longer for the announcement because of some idiot trying to get his phone back. I understand why they do it, but that doesn't mean its too bad non the less.

I'm sorry if I offended people but this had to be said.

I know it doesn't sound very nice but I agree.

Agreed. I remember having to hit the E-Stop at Silver Bullet @ KBF due to a guest swimming (Yes. Swimming!!) in the lake to retrieve -You guessed it!- a damn hat!!

Hahaha! I found that too funny

Hopefully they do not go through with the cancellation. I know the article says indefinitely, but it does sound like the park is set on moving it back. I think that everyone (GP included) has waited long enough for the announcement. With the coaster wall, now the teasers coming from the park, an incident like this should be overlooked going forward, and the best way to bring spirits back up is by announcing the new attraction. Don't ruin things for other people because one idiot made a poor decision.

Well, that's just great. We're probably going to have to wait another month just because of someone's dumb decision. It's ironic that this happens to be a school teacher, another example as to why the educational system is failing.

Thats an unfair comment to all the hard working teachers in our country. Despite having to deal with more and more tough kids and bad parents, they wake up each morning hoping to help students become successful citizens. You have no idea what teachers are put through, yet you want to blame them for a failing educational system. Bull$hit

I suspect a lot of lift stops today for cell phones or any other items that shouldn't be out.

Ride Hosts already watch for phones like hawks. Chances are the phone slipped from his pocket which happens way more often than losing a phone due to using it. Events like this will make people think and analyze details heavily, but caution should be taken before changing operations.

I'd say lift stops will be at their normal frequency.

Hopefully they do not go through with the cancellation. I know the article says indefinitely, but it does sound like the park is set on moving it back. I think that everyone (GP included) has waited long enough for the announcement. With the coaster wall, now the teasers coming from the park, an incident like this should be overlooked going forward, and the best way to bring spirits back up is by announcing the new attraction. Don't ruin things for other people because one idiot made a poor decision.

My only real thought is maybe there's something themed around death for the new coaster? It is a dark theme, so I guess that's possible.

Well, that's just great. We're probably going to have to wait another month just because of someone's dumb decision. It's ironic that this happens to be a school teacher, another example as to why the educational system is failing.

Says the guy wanting $15 to flip burgers.

Son there is absolutely no way you'd even survive one day as a teacher.

Be careful how you proceed with this.

As expected, the park has officially announced that their announcement event set for next Tuesday has been indefinitely postponed.

Ok, can we all please stop posting that this has been postponed. I think this is the 4th time in three pages. People, please READ THE THREAD before you post!

Edited by robbalvey

to be honest they hyped this coaster up so much to where i dont even care anymore.

That's actually a really unfair comment. The park actually hasn't hyped it up much at all other than putting a countdown clock up and sending out invites. Everyone ELSE has been pouring on the hype. I honestly can't believe someone would say that, but I guess we've seen quite a few amazing examples of stupidity lately.

Edited by robbalvey

I don't know what it is about some people. Some find these rides incredibly dangerous, for the most part for no reason (looking at you Action Park) other than an excuse to be over-protective and then others break the rules with abandon assuming they'll always be Ok. I feel sorry for the guy's family of course but I just don't have any time for people who have other safe options to retrieve things, enjoy the ride, whatever... And then don't use them. Same for people who ignore the "Do not stand up" signs. What do they think is going to happen? Unless it's a stand up ride, don't stand where you're not supposed to. Is that really so hard to follow? I guess in the heat of the moment, misjudgements are made and unfortunately, it cost someone their life this time. Same as it has before. It's still just so unnecessary.

to be honest they hyped this coaster up so much to where i dont even care anymore.

That's actually a really unfair comment. The park actually hasn't hyped it up much at all other than putting a countdown clock up and sending out invites. Everyone ELSE has been pouring on the hype. I honestly can't believe someone would say that, but I guess we've seen quite a few amazing examples of stupidity lately.

i was talking about the coaster wall but since you are the "big and bad" robb alvey i guess i have to obey you

My only real thought is maybe there's something themed around death for the new coaster? It is a dark theme, so I guess that's possible.

The name of the coaster is Valravn, so perhaps they are thinking about retheming because ravens are supposed to bring, you know, death.

This is the most ridiculous situation, and the Roller Coaster Capital of the World doesn't need this. So so so so so frustrating.

i was talking about the coaster wall but since you are the "big and bad" robb alvey i guess i have to obey you

I am assuming you were born in 1999? Im glad your into roller coasters, and at a young age is great! No need to name call though. Roller coasters are meant to be fun. I would hate to see a young poster be banned!

The name of the coaster is Valravn, so perhaps they are thinking about retheming because ravens are supposed to bring, you know, death.

This is the most ridiculous situation, and the Roller Coaster Capital of the World doesn't need this. So so so so so frustrating.

Well, 20 years ago, CP ended up going with Mantas instead of Banshee, and as far as I know, that was simply because of how 'dark/edgy" the Banshee name was, and had nothing to do with any particular incident at CP or CF. Now that something has actually occurred, and so close to the announcement no less, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they're postponing the announcement to rename/retheme the ride.

Okay, let's get a grip on the situation. A "coaster wall" is literally the least hype-worthy thing Cedar Point could have done to promote this new attraction. On top of that stupidity, name bashing only shows more immaturity. There is nothing wrong with not caring anymore about the announcement of a new attraction, but I'm willing to bet the real hype only came from your own participation in the rumors, speculation, and recent leaks -- NOT because of Cedar Point.

If Alton Towers has a safety malfunction that injures a train full of riders, nobody on this board panics, but when a single idiot essentially kills himself at Cedar Point, everybody loses their minds!

Well, 20 years ago, CP ended up going with Mantas instead of Banshee, and as far as I know, that was simply because of how 'dark/edgy" the Banshee name was, and had nothing to do with any particular incident at CP or CF. Now that something has actually occurred, and so close to the announcement no less, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they're postponing the announcement to rename/retheme the ride.

Dive 232 is on!!!

I really hope they don't rethem/rename the ride, I for one thing Valravn is a great name, plus it fits the diving coaster.

I mean if they want to change the name, I hope it's something to do with Falcons, but I feel as if that would be way to similar to Raptor since Falcon's are raptors. I mean, Falcons are known for their stoops which are the high speed vertical dives.

Every additional detail I hear about the Raptor just makes me shake my head more and more. 40-something? School teacher? Why the flying f**k did this guy, who ABSOLUTELY should have known better, decide to ignore all posted and printed warnings, intentionally climb fences and go into restricted areas, end up directly in the path of an oncoming train, and somehow not realize the train was going to hit him?

Honestly, this almost sounds like suicide by coaster. Because it seems almost impossible that this happened the way it did by accident.

Yes, it's a tragedy that someone died, but this is the sort of tragedy that should be 100% completely preventable by following directions and obeying posted warnings. Too many damn people in this world feel that the rules don't apply to them and/or that they're invincible.

If Alton Towers has a safety malfunction that injures a train full of riders, nobody on this board panics, but when a single idiot essentially kills himself at Cedar Point, everybody loses their minds!

Well Alton Towers seemed to handle the situation pretty well. Plus, I haven't heard about any large announcements they were due to make about new coasters and such like. Awkward timing and circumstances more than anything else.

Again, what is with these kinds of posts?!?!? We had over 24,000 views on the Smiler accident page and then about 500 posts after it. Where are you getting your data?!?!? Not from TPR because it's not correct.

And on another note - even if your data was right... WHO CARES?!?! Is it a contest on how much we talk about one tragedy versus the other???

I don't quite get the postponement of the announcement. If the death had been at all the parks fault, or a child had died, or an onride death I would understand, but this seems like too much. I suppose they want to avoid the "Cedar Point, where a guest died last week, announced their big new coaster today" headline on the news but if they wait till next month it will just be "Cedar Point, where a guest died last month, announced their big new coaster today". As callous as it may sound, people will get over this quickly as most of us still understand that this was a really dumb decision made entirely by a guest where the park did everything they could.

Maybe this being the parks 'first official death' has them being overly cautious.

It really makes me wonder if a rename is going to happen considering Valravn, like others said, is a name completely correleated to death. (Ravens who consume the bodies of the dead on the battlefield) Especially being so close to Raptor as well, they might just be trying to avoid any further trouble. Just speculating but it's an idea.

I don't quite get the postponement of the announcement. If the death had been at all the parks fault, or a child had died, or an onride death I would understand, but this seems like too much. I suppose they want to avoid the "Cedar Point, where a guest died last week, announced their big new coaster today" headline on the news but if they wait till next month it will just be "Cedar Point, where a guest died last month, announced their big new coaster today". As callous as it may sound, people will get over this quickly as most of us still understand that this was a really dumb decision made entirely by a guest where the park did everything they could.

Maybe this being the parks 'first official death' has them being overly cautious.

I agree, and even Raptor is open already, wouldn't it make more sense to postpone the opening of the ride that killed someone (do to the own guests fault) then to push back an announcement that isn't really correlated to it at all.