TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Maybe I am a bit harsh, but I have no sympathy for someone that ignorant.

Maybe I'm just a little more understanding than others. But I can have sympathy for him simply because I had to talk my brother out of a similar situation once when he lost & saw his phone. A lot of people probably would attempt the same thing if they saw a a valuable object of theirs sitting right out of reach. I think the man is 100% at fault for not following the rules and disregarding all of the signs, don't get me wrong. But the park should be a little better about notifying people what to do/where to go if they lose something on one of the rides.

Now, this is all assuming he was going in to grab something of his, which I think is the most obvious situation. But you never know I suppose. I'll stop speculating and wait for more details.

There's many theme park deaths that have happened to unlucky people, these people followed all the safety rules, yet by chance and by pure accident, they lost their lives.

And there's there's "accidents" like these, 100% completely avoidable incidents. Now I know that I should not judge this event yet, because the accident is still under investigation, but still... There is NOT A SINGLE reason ANYONE should EVER enter a restricted ride area, especially during ride operation. There is absolutely no excuse, at all. Sure I feel sorry for his family and whoever has to deal with this moron's actions, but COME ON! What were you thinking?!

Sorry for the rant, it's just idiots like these that give theme parks a "dangerous" name.

IIRC, Raptor's gate injured someone earlier this season. Not a good year for the ride.

Anyways, maybe they'll push more 2016 teasers to alleviate this commotion in the coming days?

Edited by JonnyRCT3

IIRC, Raptor's gate injured someone earlier this season. Not a good year for the ride.

Even in the case of the gates it was the park guest at fault. If I remember correctly, they were trying to squeeze through the gate after it had already started closing.

Oh boy, it's SFOG all over again. Though I do feel bad for the guy who got killed, it was completely his fault. It was his decision to take the incredibly ill-advised risk of entering a restricted ride area, when there are fences, and with signs everywhere warning against it. It's ignorance, and unfortunately he paid the price. The wrong decision led to the wrong fate. Condolences to his friends and family

Edited by Coaster Hero

Even in the case of the gates it was the park guest at fault. If I remember correctly, they were trying to squeeze through the gate after it had already started closing.

The park said that, but he disputes it. He said he knows how the gates work and blamed it on poorly trained ride ops.

By the way, did they get rid of the live webcams in the park? Can't seem to find them.

I'm not seeing them either. They may have taken them down if there was a camera pointed at Raptor (Like there has been lately.)

Yeah the cams are almost always pointed at Raptor, Gatekeeper, MF, and TTD

Not sure if this is just because of the idiot, or if they have been turned off before this. I have not looked at them for a while, so I was not sure. Not even a mention of the live cams on the website.

Maybe I'm just a little more understanding than others. But I can have sympathy for him simply because I had to talk my brother out of a similar situation once when he lost & saw his phone. A lot of people probably would attempt the same thing if they saw a a valuable object of theirs sitting right out of reach. I think the man is 100% at fault for not following the rules and disregarding all of the signs, don't get me wrong. But the park should be a little better about notifying people what to do/where to go if they lose something on one of the rides.

If I recall correctly many of the restricted area signs say something like: RESTRICTED AREA. ENTERING MAY CAUSE RISK OF INJURY OR DEATH. Sorry, but if that doesn't stop you, I don't know what will.

I understand if you sympathize for him or their family, but the park is at zero fault and there was nothing they could've done.

Edited by Koasterking48

If I recall correctly many of the restricted area signs say something like: RESTRICTED AREA. ENTERING MAY CAUSE RISK OF INJURY OR DEATH. Sorry, but if that doesn't stop you, I don't know what will.

I understand if you sympathize for him or their family, but the park is most likely at zero fault and there was nothing they could've done.

Even if a park employee forcibly stopped him from hopping the fence, I could see the family still suing for not letting him get his phone/waller.

Present day America, those selfies are worth more than a life.

Here we go again... Another case of people not following the rules.

Parks do not spend thousands of dollars on fencing, signage, and warnings for people to ignore them. It's the riders own fault in the first place for not keeping his loose articles off to the side or in a zippered pocket. Then to blatantly disregard the signs and hop the fence? Come on, how stupid can a person be?

Hopefully the "investigation" (which even an autistic dog could figure out) can occur quickly and the ride will reopen without much backlash from theme park haters. Maybe I'm being harsh or selfish by saying this, but it is unfair to people who travel far distances, and pay a lot to get in the park, to have to miss out on attractions because of others' stupidity. My prayers go out to the family, but this was a TOTALLY avoidable incident.

The cameras are online. None of them are pointing at Raptor, obviously. One pointed at the midway in front of it though.

http://pixelcaster.com/live/cedarpoint/index.html

http://pixelcaster.com/live/cedarpoint/index2.html

http://pixelcaster.com/live/cedarpoint/index3.html

Well, there is not currently a link to them on the website so I had assumed they had just removed them from the website due to today's events.

Death by Inverted coasters are so unfortunate as they are 100% avoidable.

That being said I can't tell you how many time I've seen a person jump into a lock out area. just this Sunday a guy dropped this cell phone of the brake run of Medusa at Great Adventure. he kept arguing with the ride attendant saying it would just take him a moment to get it he could even see it. he was told they couldn't retrieve it until the park closed. The guy had to be told this a half dozen time despite the fact that it was 9:52pm. The guy finally moves to the exit ramp and we start going up the lift and get stopped at almost the crown of the lift hill, The child next to me starts freaking out fortunately his father and I get him to clam down by telling him their are safety systems in place and he will be fine. After I while I mentioned to the father that I bet they had to stop the ride because the guy who dropped his phone tried to get it. well such was the case as we found once one of the ride attendants made it to the top of the lift.

I feel like we need to send some positive vibes somehow to the PR department. First the leak, now this. I just hope their announcement goes will on Tuesday and adds some happy buzz!

I totaly agree Robb. I am actually going to try and make it down there for the announcement next week to support them.

With that being said, I sure hope that the media does not try to twist the story around like they typically do to get the ratings. I hope the truth comes out.

Man what a nightmare. People really can leave their brains at the door when they check inot a theme park. I spent a bit of time working on Alpengeist, and I can't tell you how many estops we had from people going into the ride area to retrieve an item. Then they would get mad when they were kicked out and banned from the park, as if they didn't 100% deserve it. Some people just have no respect for how close they come to death from their own ignorance. Usually it was just going out the station, where the ride moves slowly, but even that is dangerous when you're talking about a 3 1/2 ton steel and fiber glass object...

And of course, what's worse is that other people may have been hurt because of this Darwin candidate.

I have a lot of sympathy for the friends, family, witnesses, employees, and everyone else involved in this because one person did something stupid. Unless I find out this person was mentally disabled, I doubt I'll have any sympathy for them however. What a tragic mess :/