TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

This is an interesting thought, with these leaks that have been happening for the past rides, do you feel Cedar Point is starting to go away from teasing us so much to try to keep it under wraps?

My favorite was Maverick when coaster track just showed up and they started building the ride before they ever said anything. "What are you talking about? A new ride, what?" To me, that created the most excitement and they didn't have to do anything.

Something to think about (and this is coming from a 20 year DJ speaking from a music background, I also have worked in real estate marketing for 9 years): leaks can be quite a benefit, many companies have realized this and will even go as far as leak info/music/plans/whatever on their own to generate buzz. It's a really great marketing tool.

Now, I'm not saying at all that CP did it themselves but its not a new concept for a leak to happen on purpose for publicity.

Its interesting that when Dollywood was about to make their really big deal announcement, the CP plans leaked. Just by looking at this forum, the CP thread has stayed just as much if not more active as the DW thread (same on other forums), so by leaking the info (OR it being leaked by someone) BUT then not confirming/saying anything, CP is keeping enthusiasts salivating and the GP talking about/speculating if the plans are in fact true.

In marketing, while the big reveal is your "moment", what you really want is people talking about your product, and as loudly and favorably and often as possible. CP is killing the game with that right now if you ask me.

This is an interesting thought, with these leaks that have been happening for the past rides, do you feel Cedar Point is starting to go away from teasing us so much to try to keep it under wraps?

It's actually doing something they want - getting publicity and people talking. It's not costing CP a thing even though it does sort of ruin the "surprise" when the actual announcement happens.

^i agree. I would rather (at this point because of technology) not have any clues. This allows for suspense on exactly what is happening.

I agree 100%. I would rather have 0 clues, and the find out on the official announcement day what is going on, rather than already know when they official announce it. Because now it is like when they announce it... they are not really telling us anything we don't already know.

This is a little delayed but yep it was JRice yesterday at MF. Took my chances at Plinko and scored a one time fast lane. The standby wait time was 1.5 hrs, the longest in the park that I seen for the day. They were moving trains quickly though! It was a very pleasant front ride seat! Greyed out a bit on the first turnaround but was a little dehydrated.

Rode in the front on Rougarou, a much better and intense ride than when it was Mantis. I heard a few headbanging complaints from people behind me. They even put up some remove earrings signage. At 6'4 I'm unaffected.

Front seat on Gatekeeper, greyed out a bit on the Immelman. Really think it was the beer and lack of water. They were stacking trains and the line moved slowly. True wait time of about 45 minutes. I do think it is a great ride though.

TTD was great as always, and had a good crew. Got on in 30 minutes.

Maverick was a hour wait at 10:30 am. MF was down in the am so I think that pushed people to Maverick. Front row, great ride still. Not too sure how I feel about the soft restraints. They are a little snug (though I'm tall).

Great day at the park and my cheapest yet! Free entry thanks to mycokerewards and packed a lunch. Bought one round of beers inside the park, $5 for my winning game of Plinko, and $15 to park. Grand total of $37!

They've got the field next to Breakers Express fenced off. I wonder if they'll stage for 2016 there.

After Valravn Cedar Point needs that dark ride! It would give visitors a place to cool off from all that sun.

I'm not sure if you intended the excellent dry humor, but the park could really use a year-round, people-munching attraction that can operate in the rain, given how much precipitation the park gets and its propensity to close rides in even the briefest of sprinkles. Rain, and not the sun, is the subtext that justifies the need for something like a dark ride. I'd imagine that what sun the park does get would be an asset that encourages patronage of the water rides, water park, and overall beach setting. "What can guests ride when it rains?" is the question that needs to be addressed, but I ultimately arrive in agreement with you that a dark ride should be at the top of the wishlist.

This is a little delayed but yep it was JRice yesterday at MF. Took my chances at Plinko and scored a one time fast lane. The standby wait time was 1.5 hrs, the longest in the park that I seen for the day. They were moving trains quickly though! It was a very pleasant front ride seat! Greyed out a bit on the first turnaround but was a little dehydrated.

Rode in the front on Rougarou, a much better and intense ride than when it was Mantis. I heard a few headbanging complaints from people behind me. They even put up some remove earrings signage. At 6'4 I'm unaffected.

Front seat on Gatekeeper, greyed out a bit on the Immelman. Really think it was the beer and lack of water. They were stacking trains and the line moved slowly. True wait time of about 45 minutes. I do think it is a great ride though.

TTD was great as always, and had a good crew. Got on in 30 minutes.

Maverick was a hour wait at 10:30 am. MF was down in the am so I think that pushed people to Maverick. Front row, great ride still. Not too sure how I feel about the soft restraints. They are a little snug (though I'm tall).

Great day at the park and my cheapest yet! Free entry thanks to mycokerewards and packed a lunch. Bought one round of beers inside the park, $5 for my winning game of Plinko, and $15 to park. Grand total of $37!

They've got the field next to Breakers Express fenced off. I wonder if they'll stage for 2016 there.

Rode Fahrenheit at HP the other day, and the random mid-ride ejector airtime pop brought back fond memories of Maverick.

I do wish CP would re-evaluate their inclement weather policy. If other parks can run their rides in rain (with no lightning) why cant CP? If other parks can run most of their rides in mild wind why cant CP?

I do wish CP would re-evaluate their inclement weather policy. If other parks can run their rides in rain (with no lightning) why cant CP? If other parks can run most of their rides in mild wind why cant CP?

I think the rain policy goes back to the Magnum accident, and they are scared that will happen again on another coaster, so they have a policy in place that ensures it could NEVER happen again, on any coaster. Just a guess though.

Brakes too wet. Not track. The friction breaks become less effective when wet. And IIRC, a delay on a train caused two trains to stack, but the first set of brakes wasn't really intended to stop a full train under normal operation while wet and failed to do so.

Brakes too wet. Not track. The friction breaks become less effective when wet. And IIRC, a delay on a train caused two trains to stack, but the first set of brakes wasn't really intended to stop a full train under normal operation while wet and failed to do so.

I agree with this completely and I'd love some insight as to why some Cedar Fair parks like Kings Dominion run everything in the rain while Cedar Point closes just about everything. The only coaster at Cedar Point that should close in the rain is Top Thrill Dragster because other parks in the chain run everything in the rain including Arrow rides (like Magnum)... Kings Dominion runs Anaconda with all trains in the rain, Vortex at KI runs all trains... why is it okay there? The rain policy at Cedar Point is so ridiculous that when we went in 2012 Snake River Falls closed in a slight drizzle, and because I couldn't help myself I asked if the ride was down because of the rain and the person at the front confirmed that it was. Snake River Falls...

What makes the policy more confusing is that it's inconsistent. The only coaster that's consistently closed in the rain is Dragster, with the others they might as well flip a coin. I believe Wicked Twister is usually open (as it should be) and Raptor is usually closed but aside from that I see no consistency at all.

As for wind, yeah that one's a little nuts too. Of course I get it on Sky Ride and Windseeker... I don't get it at all on Dragster. If it rolls back, just launch it again. Why shut it down at a certain wind speed? If you send a few trains and they all roll back it makes sense, but if they're all clearing and then the wind speed gets "too high" but trains are still clearing I don't get why they care when they used to run it in all kinds of wind.

With the other coasters I wish they'd use their best judgement. If it's cold and windy early in the season then Millennium Force and Gatekeeper can really crawl over the high points but if it's 80 degrees in the summer and both coasters are hauling through the course I doubt a 5mph increase in wind speed when it's been windy all day and the coasters have been hauling is really going to make a difference. Raptor is a tough one as it really can crawl into the mid course.

Again, I'm not an expert but these things make no sense when other parks in the same chain don't care. I don't expect every park to be Great Adventure where the wind policy is "Keep Dispatching until it Valleys", the rain policy is "Keep Dispatching until the riders drown" and after last year we now know that the sleet policy is "Tell the riders there's nothing they can do to stop the pain and if they want to ride anyway... lol dispatch" (though I love that policy). But a happy medium would be nice.

I know some ride ops from Cedar Point are on here though, maybe they can offer some insight.

I agree with this completely and I'd love some insight as to why some Cedar Fair parks like Kings Dominion run everything in the rain while Cedar Point closes just about everything. The only coaster at Cedar Point that should close in the rain is Top Thrill Dragster because other parks in the chain run everything in the rain including Arrow rides (like Magnum)... Kings Dominion runs Anaconda with all trains in the rain, Vortex at KI runs all trains... why is it okay there? The rain policy at Cedar Point is so ridiculous that when we went in 2012 Snake River Falls closed in a slight drizzle, and because I couldn't help myself I asked if the ride was down because of the rain and the person at the front confirmed that it was. Snake River Falls...

What makes the policy more confusing is that it's inconsistent. The only coaster that's consistently closed in the rain is Dragster, with the others they might as well flip a coin. I believe Wicked Twister is usually open (as it should be) and Raptor is usually closed but aside from that I see no consistency at all.

As for wind, yeah that one's a little nuts too. Of course I get it on Sky Ride and Windseeker... I don't get it at all on Dragster. If it rolls back, just launch it again. Why shut it down at a certain wind speed? If you send a few trains and they all roll back it makes sense, but if they're all clearing and then the wind speed gets "too high" but trains are still clearing I don't get why they care when they used to run it in all kinds of wind.

With the other coasters I wish they'd use their best judgement. If it's cold and windy early in the season then Millennium Force and Gatekeeper can really crawl over the high points but if it's 80 degrees in the summer and both coasters are hauling through the course I doubt a 5mph increase in wind speed when it's been windy all day and the coasters have been hauling is really going to make a difference. Raptor is a tough one as it really can crawl into the mid course.

Again, I'm not an expert but these things make no sense when other parks in the same chain don't care. I don't expect every park to be Great Adventure where the wind policy is "Keep Dispatching until it Valleys", the rain policy is "Keep Dispatching until the riders drown" and after last year we now know that the sleet policy is "Tell the riders there's nothing they can do to stop the pain and if they want to ride anyway... lol dispatch" (though I love that policy). But a happy medium would be nice.

I know some ride ops from Cedar Point are on here though, maybe they can offer some insight.

Dragster has to reset for every launch - it takes time. Millennium Force is not the kind of ride you want valleying. It would help if Magnum had mag brakes, but it sounds like it uses traditional friction brakes. I'm pretty sure Kingda Ka doesn't fun in high winds and it's less prone to rollback (because high winds are not as common at SFGAd). So even the park who has to worry less about it closes their version, so I'd imagine CP has a very good reason to close Dragster since they'd dealt with high winds daily since 2003.

I don't expect every park to be Great Adventure where the wind policy is "Keep Dispatching until it Valleys", the rain policy is "Keep Dispatching until the riders drown" and after last year we now know that the sleet policy is "Tell the riders there's nothing they can do to stop the pain and if they want to ride anyway... lol dispatch" (though I love that policy).