TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I wonder if the lack of a splash has anything to do with the ridiculous amount of wind they get at the park.

Or them not wanting to get electronic VR headsets wet?

That brings up a good point, they might not be able to run a coaster with VR electronics in the rain... But who am I kidding, Cedar Point doesn't run coasters in the rain anyway!

Nobody has pointed this out, but The Cedar Point logo thing from the leaked Valravn logo matches the one on the box that was sent to Robb.

image_12856.jpg

thumb_image3_13.jpg

Edit: I should say that I believed the leak was real when it came out, but this is for those who were hoping it wasn't real. I guess you could look at it two ways. 1.) Everything that was leaked was real. 2.) The park is messing with us, which is high doubtful IMO. Don't get me wrong, I do realize that Tony and his crew at CP do like to mess with the enthusiasts from time to time, but I don't think the park would go through all the trouble to build all that stuff into a app just to mess with us.

The helmet/spikes match the symbol on the most recent package rob was sent. (Sorry if this was already pointed out?)

I also feel like Tony Clark has been much quieter on Twitter than usual lately.. I wonder if that's because of them not being able to hint too much because of this leak...

I'm sure it's a bit of both. Honestly, I feel bad for their team right now. Imagine if you were building up to one of your key moments of the year, only to have it broken by something that is not really in your control. I mean, from what I understand, the leak happened because someone hacked into the new VR app, right? That's not cool and not the way they wanted things to happen. For me, I know it puts me in a tough spot because on one hand, I'd prefer to totally ignore the leak, pretend it's not there, and just go along with the announcement because that would be the right thing to do, but at the same time, it's impossible to ignore it and we would get crap for pretending it didn't happen.

You just have to also put some faith in the park that maybe there will be things about the ride that we don't know about - the theming, the surrounding area, the design of the trains, etc, that will come out at the announcement and also be exciting to hear.

And just on top of all that, new ride announcements are simply "cool" even if we already know what it's going to be.

So yeah, I don't blame them for being a bit quiet and I'm still looking forward to the announcement regardless!

I'm looking forward to the announcement as well, since Dive Machines are Dive Machines, and are great rides regardless of whether or not the hype train suffers a fuel leak right before the last stop on the 18th.

I wonder if Cedar Point will start printing shirts with "the four floorless beasts" or the "three great birds", especially considering the fact that their lineup will soon feature four B&M coasters, three of which are themed to birds.

...new ride announcements are simply "cool" even if we already know what it's going to be.

Very true.

Something I've been thinking about, tossing around the idea in my mind...

I wonder if Cedar Point would consider building another speed/mega coaster (in the traditional sense) anytime in the near future, as long as Magnum is still standing.

They've already touted their 2020 project for their anniversary, and given that, if a park has one, speed coasters are often times the most popular "e-ticket" ride in the park, the idea at least comes to mind, even it isnt realistic.

The fact is they're running out of B&M designs to choose from (assuming a new one isn't in development) and an I-boxed Mean Streak doesnt seem like something they'd choose as their huge anniversary project coming up.

This is probably a ridiculously stupid idea and I shouldn't have posted it, but regardless I'm still curious what the general consensus on this is. Are two hyper/speed coasters the limit for a single park?

Considering they would need to make an artificial pond for a splashdown, couldn't they just put in a drainage system that adjusts the water level if needed? This way the splashdown could work on hot days, and it could be lessened or shut down on cool/windy days.

I'm pretty sure that Mack has a system like that for their flumes and water coasters to adjust the splash it creates.

Who cares if anyone gets wet? I say pipe in Lake Erie water. Let everyone get a good dose of that crisp, invigorating, savory, crystal clear Lake Erie gold.

^That is based off a no limits mock-up correct? Or is that model (which you colored) ported directly from the app?

That picture was from the CPVR app's code. I just used Photoshop to color in the supports and track.

This is my NL2 mockup that I put out a couple weeks ago, but I updated the colors to match the support color we know now.IMG_20150811_175528.thumb.jpg.1519f5c4f5f23c9cf014c6c0adc776ec.jpg

My original hopes & dreams

Considering they would need to make an artificial pond for a splashdown, couldn't they just put in a drainage system that adjusts the water level if needed? This way the splashdown could work on hot days, and it could be lessened or shut down on cool/windy days.

I'm pretty sure that Mack has a system like that for their flumes and water coasters to adjust the splash it creates.

Who cares if anyone gets wet? I say pipe in Lake Erie water. Let everyone get a good dose of that crisp, invigorating, savory, crystal clear Lake Erie gold.

^ This.

Anyways. I'm not saying he is teasing us or anything but I also wouldn't say he's being entirely quiet either. There's a soundbite post - what I assume is the Valravn announcement music. i could be wrong, maybe it actually is for kids, like trix or whatever. Then theres the official "one week left!" reminder, and a post only a little while ago about not being able to pick which grand opening shirt he likes the best. Maybe he'll have a better chance at choosing one next year...

Capture.JPG.f9847e6304863b8a8b9a61ee0d2411e2.JPG

Capture1.JPG.cef1b286c93a24d2e649ba23112289fe.JPG

Capture3.JPG.4fbfca88e37b8b92f8a74888a45b9368.JPG

Now with going back to what Robb said a little while back... about needing to RSVP for the event itself... This makes me think that they have to stream it somehow... They did for Gatekeeper. But if I remember correctly, they also announced they would stream it at least a week before August 13th (the announcement date). I know the people whom run CP Fansite will be streaming it live from periscope as per this status:

Capture4.JPG.b31426fc6446ed7af89fd76934ada951.JPG

Hopefully CP will have it done professionally, but if not, I'm sure these guys wont do a bad job.

I don't think I've ever seen so much press coverage from non-industry related sources for leaked announcement information before. Are there any other past examples?

^That is based off a no limits mock-up correct? Or is that model (which you colored) ported directly from the app?

That picture was from the CPVR app's code. I just used Photoshop to color in the supports and track.

This is my NL2 mockup that I put out a couple weeks ago, but I updated the colors to match the support color we know now.[attachment=0]IMG_20150811_175528.jpg[/attachment]

I love your layout. Something like that eould be a perfect fit for the park, and unique for dive machines.

We can dream right?!

This is my NL2 mockup that I put out a couple weeks ago, but I updated the colors to match the support color we know now.[attachment=0]IMG_20150811_175528.jpg[/attachment]

I find it "funny" how those white textured models came out in such clarity, and yet the "on ride" footage came out like a potato. Something isn't quite right there. The current i Phone processing power is nearly on-par of what desktops could do in 2008. So the "cannot give good quality due to low phone processing power" excuse seems fishy. I know that's not the device the "leaks" were found on, but still. Something isn't right here. Maybe I'm missing something?

Anyways, I also find it odd that they used No Limits for those models.

Nothing is official yet, but I'm certainly leaning towards the "it's real camp" as someone mentioned before.

Channel 5 here did a quick story about the Valravn leak yesterday and showed bits and pieces of the NL2 video of the ride. I also noticed downtown today on my way to work that one of those newer electronic billboards started showing the teaser with the ominous black/gray background and the phrase "It all comes down on 8-18-15".

I find it "funny" how those white textured models came out in such clarity, and yet the "on ride" footage came out like a potato. Something isn't quite right there. The current i Phone processing power is nearly on-par of what desktops could do in 2008. So the "cannot give good quality due to low phone processing power" excuse seems fishy. I know that's not the device the "leaks" were found on, but still. Something isn't right here. Maybe I'm missing something?

Anyways, I also find it odd that they used No Limits for those models.

Nothing is official yet, but I'm certainly leaning towards the "it's real camp" as someone mentioned before.

Phones and desktop computers are different things and not directly comparable. Maybe you're referring to some metric like clockspeed, but the chipsets are very different. Iphones were not built with graphical rendering in mind, and do not have the specialized resources that desktops (now and then) do. Iphone games simply do not look like 2008 PC games.

Referring to what I said earlier, I tweeted at the park, as well as Tony and Jason, and Jason responded back to me saying that the announcement WILL be open to the public. Therefore, I WILL be attending. I'm excited.

Oh, that's great to know!