TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

^^^ So what you are saying is that if coasters that are more forceful then the B&M coasters didn't exist then we would not complain about less forceful B&Ms? Well yea duh, that's like saying if all we had was McDonalds beef and there wasn't prime rib than we would consider McDonalds meat to be gourmet. I think the complaints more come from older B&M style of rides compared to their recent counterparts. I don't think that anybody would describe Raptor, Batman, or Kumba to be forcless. I think that the term forcless is not the best adjective , predictable would be a better word for it. You could have watched the POV of Gatekeeper and pretty much tell what it was going to ride like. I watched the POV for WIcked Cyclone a hundred times and the first time I rode I was very surprised by all of the forces!

That said I have not ridden Fury yet and reports are that B&M is starting to do some good things. I can't wait to see what this new coaster turns out like. I have only ever ridden Griffon once and didn't much enjoy it but I wasn't in the best of moods that day so I am going into this new ride open minded! I am a bit disappointed in the ride because I think that a really good wooden coaster would be a better fit for this parks current line up but I'm sure the new Cedar Point ride will be fantastic.

My point is "forceless" is the wrong word and is a very strong adjective as you said. Sure, B&M's nowadays are less forceful than their older Stengel-designed counterparts, but they're far from forceless. Predictable is a better word, and maybe a bit "over-engineered" to the point where it's not surprising, as you said. Wicked Cyclone has a million wierd and very quick banking transitions and surprising forces that make it like few coasters on earth. B&M's have been around for so long that there are a lot of them similar to each other (since so many parks wanted at least one), so the same elements being used again and again got old. RMC does nothing like that and each layout has new elements, and if they use old elements they incorporate them completely differently. B&M created the perfect coaster with the older models, and they haven't changed them much since so it's nothing new to us. Of course, Fury is the exception, I think B&M went all out with that. For the record though, Gatekeeper seems to be a coaster that has being photogenic in mind, and is not extremely forceful (notice how I didn't use forceless?) which makes it rideable (and re-rideable) for all ages

There are few rides more beautiful than Gatekeeper. The first time I rode it I was underwhelmed by it but after multiple rides I have come around. It is a fantastic re rideable ride and if I was Cedar Fair I would use B&M as much as they do, but the nothing beats the feeling after riding a Intamin or RMC. The selfish enthusiast side of me would want a park full of Intamins and other more intense manufactures but I get why they use B&M. I am curious why Mack has had very limited instillations in the U.S. The ones they have built over in Europe seem to have a fantastic mix of intensity and ridability.

Nobody has pointed this out, but The Cedar Point logo thing from the leaked Valravn logo matches the one on the box that was sent to Robb.

image_12856.jpg

thumb_image3_13.jpg

Edit: I should say that I believed the leak was real when it came out, but this is for those who were hoping it wasn't real. I guess you could look at it two ways. 1.) Everything that was leaked was real. 2.) The park is messing with us, which is high doubtful IMO. Don't get me wrong, I do realize that Tony and his crew at CP do like to mess with the enthusiasts from time to time, but I don't think the park would go through all the trouble to build all that stuff into a app just to mess with us.

To be clear for anyone who may think i dislike Raptor because of the jolt at the end that is not the case that last bit just frustrates me on the many re rides i do on it each day i am there. I just cannot seem to place myself correctly to not bang my head for that last bit.

Also i don't complain about B&M being force less.

I guess I am the outlier, but I always liked that snap at the end of the Raptor -- it's like an extra exclamation point at the end of a shout, and seems leave much of the train gasping on the brake run. (I always found the cobra roll to be tough to avoid a headbang, though)

I also don't get the criticism of Raptor. It remains, 20+ years later, the best inverted coaster I have been on, and a super intense coaster (sadly, I have not yet been on Banshee or Nemesis).

What puzzles me about B&M is not that they are "forceless" rides (they aren't), but there apparent severe dislike for strong airtime -- not sure why.

I agree I am pretty convinced that everything that has been released has been true which as far as Cedar Point goes seems pretty sloppy. From the start the cat has been out of bag on this coaster. I actually have only rode Griffon and it was a great ride so I am not disappointed that Cedar Point is building the ride, more so disappointed that the story broke SO early, lol

I also feel like Tony Clark has been much quieter on Twitter than usual lately.. I wonder if that's because of them not being able to hint too much because of this leak...

I'm sure it's a bit of both. Honestly, I feel bad for their team right now. Imagine if you were building up to one of your key moments of the year, only to have it broken by something that is not really in your control. I mean, from what I understand, the leak happened because someone hacked into the new VR app, right? That's not cool and not the way they wanted things to happen. For me, I know it puts me in a tough spot because on one hand, I'd prefer to totally ignore the leak, pretend it's not there, and just go along with the announcement because that would be the right thing to do, but at the same time, it's impossible to ignore it and we would get crap for pretending it didn't happen.

You just have to also put some faith in the park that maybe there will be things about the ride that we don't know about - the theming, the surrounding area, the design of the trains, etc, that will come out at the announcement and also be exciting to hear.

And just on top of all that, new ride announcements are simply "cool" even if we already know what its going to be.

So yeah, I don't blame them for being a bit quiet and I'm still looking forward to the announcement regardless!

I don't know if anyone has pointed this out yet, but the name of the ride is Valravn. As in ValRavn. VR. I don't think that's a coincidence, especially with the cardboard headset that came in the packet. I would also explain the rather odd name.

Even if some park was to do a VR coaster, why would you do it on a 200 foot dive machine? Can't even believe this discussion is happening.

Its going to happen on some coaster in the Cedar Fair chain very soon. Just as a test though. And it won't be this one BECAUSE it says existing coaster.

Which makes me wonder if this VR will be on a coaster at Cedar Point and they'll announce the "test" for this fall on the same day?

Article: http://www.toledoblade.com/Retail/2015/08/05/Cedar-Fair-ride-to-test-tech-thrills.html

I feel like the VR idea is more of an upcharge idea... You can ride the ride in reality, or for $15 or so you can ride it with a VR headset and experience it in a virtual world...

And Robb, I feel the same way... The ride layout is only part of the experience, hopefully we will see some nice theming (like we have seen with Banshee and Rougarou) it would be great to see Cedar Fair go a little more into theming in the future!

If I ran a park, I would be worried about the VR headsets getting damaged. If somebody gets motion sickness mid-ride, and tries to take it off, what if they drop it? It would most likely break and could cause injury to other riders. Or somebody could just be an a**hole and throw/break them on purpose. I could just see some sweaty jock already saying "Yo, I'm gonna throw this and see how many pieces it breaks into"

If I ran a park, I would be worried about the VR headsets getting damaged. If somebody gets motion sickness mid-ride, and tries to take it off, what if they drop it? It would most likely break and could cause injury to other riders. Or somebody could just be an a**hole and throw/break them on purpose. I could just see some sweaty jock already saying "Yo, I'm gonna throw this and see how many pieces it breaks into"

I'm sure the park is well aware of the dangers it could cause. However, loose articles are not permitted on rides. It would be best to install them directly onto the restraints, this would be easiest with OTSR.

My dark horse projection is that Slash will show up at the announcement and perform a few VR licks.

I love google image search. But this ruins my assumption that his top hat was in fact glued to his scalp.

I predict a two part announcement.

1. Valravn dive coaster

2. Adding VR to Mean Streak to show you a better layout.

VR to mean streak!? It wouldn't matter what layout you think your on, your still getting the $hit beat out of you! I would think a ride like Iron Dragon would be more suitable.

I wonder if the lack of a splash has anything to do with the ridiculous amount of wind they get at the park. Maverick frequently has to shut off the cannons since they blast everyone on the midway on windy days. With a splashdown section like this there wouldn't be anything they could do (though knowing them the ride may close in high winds anyway).

Considering they would need to make an artificial pond for a splashdown, couldn't they just put in a drainage system that adjusts the water level if needed? This way the splashdown could work on hot days, and it could be lessened or shut down on cool/windy days.

I'm pretty sure that Mack has a system like that for their flumes and water coasters to adjust the splash it creates.

I wonder if the lack of a splash has anything to do with the ridiculous amount of wind they get at the park. Maverick frequently has to shut off the cannons since they blast everyone on the midway on windy days. With a splashdown section like this there wouldn't be anything they could do (though knowing them the ride may close in high winds anyway).

Well the trees could help out by blocking the.... oh wait, forget it.

(sorry, had to!)