TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Oh but wait. Do you have to be "Invited" to the announcement? Or can anyone in the park go to the announcement..? I was planning on going, but maybe not depending on how this is looking

I was sent an invitation that I have to RSVP to. So I'm assuming that means it's only open to invited guests.

A while back I remember seeing testing of VR done on another B&M (Goliath at La Ronde). It got me thinking... Maybe B&M is making these "forceless" designs on uprpose? Maybe it's all leading to something like this new Dive Coaster at CP. if it works here, I have a feeling they'd possibly be able to implement their VR tech on pre existing coasters.

Just a wild guess, but who knows.

They only seem to be making forceless designs for Cedar Point. Banshee and Fury 325, while not exactly on an Intamin level, are still pretty forceful.

A while back I remember seeing testing of VR done on another B&M (Goliath at La Ronde). It got me thinking... Maybe B&M is making these "forceless" designs on uprpose? Maybe it's all leading to something like this new Dive Coaster at CP. if it works here, I have a feeling they'd possibly be able to implement their VR tech on pre existing coasters.

They only seem to be making forceless designs for Cedar Point. Banshee and Fury 325, while not exactly on an Intamin level, are still pretty forceful.

CP has enough extreme coasters, I actually like the change of pace with GateKeeper. If CP gets a large dive coaster from B&M, it will most certainly be enjoyable by everyone.

Guys to be honest, that's ridiculous. "Yeah, so since at some indiscernible point in the future Cedar Point might want to use a VR set with specifically the coasters that we may or may not build that have not been planned yet, we're going to design this ride to exert fewer g-forces on its riders. I think that's the plan."

Yes I know I'm exaggerating a bit with my "quote," but honestly do you really think that's realistic at all?

CP has enough extreme coasters, I actually like the change of pace with GateKeeper. If CP gets a large dive coaster from B&M, it will most certainly be enjoyable by everyone.

I just think that a GCI woodie would be a better fit, as they currently do not have a good wooden coaster. Then in the future they can RMC Mean Streak.

Oh but wait. Do you have to be "Invited" to the announcement? Or can anyone in the park go to the announcement..? I was planning on going, but maybe not depending on how this is looking

I was sent an invitation that I have to RSVP to. So I'm assuming that means it's only open to invited guests.

Ah, bummer to hear that. I assume you won't be attending Robb. Oh well, I might go to the park that day anyway!

Seems like they invited anyone who would like to be there..... be there, witness history, celebration plaza 9pm. 8-18-15

The personally invited guests who received media teaser will probably get a meal and other event related stuff

Edited by JWAddington

I definitely have to agree with that. Rides like Maverick and Raptor are split pretty evenly with some people absolutely hating them while everyone else absolutely loves them. But less intense but still extremely fun rides like Millenium and Gatekeeper are almost unanimously enjoyed by everyone who rides them.

Rides like Maverick and Raptor are split pretty evenly with some people absolutely hating them while everyone else absolutely loves them.

What??? I seriously in all my time spend at Cedar Point and working around coaster nerds don't think I've ever heard anyone say anything bad about Raptor! And the only things said bad about Maverick was resolved this year with the new restraints. I really don't think there is a 50/50 split of people loving/hating Maverick & Raptor. That data doesn't even seem close to be accurate.

Edited by robbalvey

I just think that a GCI woodie would be a better fit, as they currently do not have a good wooden coaster. Then in the future they can RMC Mean Streak.

If CP ever goes with another wood coaster, they would most likely go with RMC. The maintenance nightmare that is Mean Streak, and the lack of a wooden coaster since, is evidence enough that CP isn't exactly thrilled with wooden coaster technology. RMC offers topper track, which reduces the wear and tear on the track, thus offering a day one-experience for years to come. All CP needs to do is call up RMC and ask for revision of MS, but with topper track. So many wooden coaster records shattered and an incredible ride experience.

Rides like Maverick and Raptor are split pretty evenly with some people absolutely hating them while everyone else absolutely loves them.

What??? I seriously in all my time spend at Cedar Point and working around coaster nerds don't think I've ever heard anyone say anything bad about Raptor! And the only things said bad about Maverick was resolved this year with the new restraints. I really don't think there is a 50/50 split of people loving/hating Maverick & Raptor. That data doesn't even seem close to be accurate.

To add to this, the only people I've ever heard say anything *bad* about Maverick or Raptor are enthusiasts saying they're "poorly engineered pieces of crap." Maybe a very small percentage of the general public don't really appreciate them, but I've never heard someone at Cedar Point say they're bad rides.

To add to this, the only people I've ever heard say anything *bad* about Maverick or Raptor are enthusiasts saying they're "poorly engineered pieces of crap." Maybe a very small percentage of the general public don't really appreciate them, but I've never heard someone at Cedar Point say they're bad rides.

I've never heard a complaint from either of those rides from the GP.

Anyways, a bit off topic. Coaster enthusiasts seem to have a single mindset anymore, and thus the definition should be changed to;

en·thu·si·ast

inˈTH(y)o͞ozēˌast,enˈTH(y)o͞ozēˌast/

noun

a person who is highly interested in a particular type of coaster and will knock every coaster that doesn't fit their exact criteria.

"This coaster doesn't have my overly-specific G-force requirements that can only be found on my favorite coaster, it's forceless!"

I think Dive Machines are single best ride that B&M makes.

I agree, besides maybe a few Inverts which I enjoy very much the Dive Machines are my favorite designs by B&M. Griffin and Shiekra are both in my top 10. CP people should be super pumped for this it is going to be great.

VR Headstets could incorporate washable parts that you wear, with the screen section clipping on. People are pretty comfortable wearing washable 3d glasses, at least.

I'm really looking forward to the first VR coaster, but it's most likely going to come from mack, and not on a ride with great views to sell.

Most of the complaints aren't anything most of us would consider a problem but a significant amount of the GP think of those to rides as to intense and violent. I know a lot of people who refuse to ride them because they are "Rough and painful"

Most of the complaints aren't anything most of us would consider a problem but a significant amount of the GP think of those to rides as to intense and violent. I know a lot of people who refuse to ride them because they are "Rough and painful"

Like I said, I have seriously, never EVER heard this. And considering that Raptor is 21 years old this year, and STILL gets a fairly significant line, I don't see how your data is anywhere CLOSE to be accurate. Sounds like you need to hang out with people who aren't pussies.

^^

I have to admit that I have seen some very interesting posts since the date for the announcement was set and this thread kicked into high gear.

Here are my faves thusfar...

* Valravn is a complete hoax - it won't be a coaster, but a dark ride instead

* A 12 year old complaining about CP getting a dive coaster with an uninspired layout. Seriously? I would have absolutely pooped a brick if CP would have installed anything like the Valravn renderings when I was 12 years old!!! I literally crapped with glee & delight around the same age when they announced Iron Dragon and Thunder Freaking Canyon!

* CP has been building a lot of forceless coasters lately

* CP should get a GCI and then RMC Mean Streak because they don't currently have any decent wooden coasters (Blue Streak - cough)

* 50/50 love/hate for Maverick/Raptor with most people hating both

^^

I have to admit that I have seen some very interesting posts since the date for the announcement was set and this thread kicked into high gear.

Here are my faves thusfar...

* Valravn is a complete hoax - it won't be a coaster, but a dark ride instead

* A 12 year old complaining about CP getting a dive coaster with an uninspired layout. Seriously? I would have absolutely pooped a brick if CP would have installed anything like the Valravn renderings when I was 12 years old!!! I literally crapped with glee & delight around the same age when they announced Iron Dragon and Thunder Freaking Canyon!

* CP has been building a lot of forceless coasters lately

* CP should get a GCI and then RMC Mean Streak because they don't currently have any decent wooden coasters (Blue Streak - cough)

* 50/50 love/hate for Maverick/Raptor with most people hating both

Best post of the day. I rolled my eyes at each of these posts as well!

So do 50% of the people you know really hate Raptor and Maverick, or is this your way of saying you don't like them without sounding like you are just scared of the rides? This just sounds ridiculous IMO