TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

After getting to experience the vests this year, I didn't have a problem with them other than them being too tight, but I never noticed that until the end of the ride. My friend on the other hand wasn't crazy about them, as they dug into his collarbone. I've seen a variety of options on the vests and I really think it just depends on how you're built.

Also seems to depend on the ride. Sitting in the station, I found Thunderbird's felt much tighter on my shoulders and more uncomfortable than Banshee's or GateKeeper's.

After getting to experience the vests this year, I didn't have a problem with them other than them being too tight, but I never noticed that until the end of the ride. My friend on the other hand wasn't crazy about them, as they dug into his collarbone. I've seen a variety of options on the vests and I really think it just depends on how you're built.

Also seems to depend on the ride. Sitting in the station, I found Thunderbird's felt much tighter on my shoulders and more uncomfortable than Banshee's or GateKeeper's.

GateKeeper used to do that as well. They fixed it towards the end of it's inaugural season.

Nope, they still very much dig into your shoulders. Honestly, that's my only problem with that entire ride. The old restraints on the other hand... No problems what so ever. I've never had any issue with head banging and with them being much roomier it gives you more room to float around and feel the forces better.

If this gets built & RMC one day gets its hands on Mean Streak, there may be so many turnaround dive loops that the park has to move to a shoe.

Although not a confirmed layout, I'm all for B&M rolling out more Flug der Damonen-style funky rolls and inversions. Although technically solid and coming in a good variety of styles (and I enjoy dive coasters, too), the ride-feel of many newer B&Ms is homogenized and humdrum. By contorting familiar elements and building the Family Inverted Coaster, I hope these are budding signs that B&M is willing to fart around in some new design territory.

I've never had a problem with the vest and find them more comfortable. headbanging can F off though. especially that final jolt on raptor.

I have read through a good majority of the discussion since the leak and i almost feel as if this is too easy. Gatekeeper didn't slip until the night before. This a full week early plus the thing in the Sandusky Register over the winter. It almost feels too obvious. I'm fine with it being a dive machine and i would be happy to ride it but i just feel like this is all some kind of deception. If it's not so be it that would make me wrong and they need to hire someone capable of keeping their plans under wraps.

When I rode GK the vests were still locking but I didn't really mind it. what I didn't like was the fact that the old ones let you move around more which, during floater air moments, makes a difference.

I'm not a fan of the vests at all, probably because I'm a larger guy. I think I would have enjoyed Banshee (and maybe even Gatekeeper and X-Flight) more if it had traditional OTSR's. Because of my height I've never had much of an issue with headbanging on the OTSR's and my large torso definitely feels more constricted in the vests.

I have read through a good majority of the discussion since the leak and i almost feel as if this is too easy. Gatekeeper didn't slip until the night before. This a full week early plus the thing in the Sandusky Register over the winter. It almost feels too obvious. I'm fine with it being a dive machine and i would be happy to ride it but i just feel like this is all some kind of deception. If it's not so be it that would make me wrong and they need to hire someone capable of keeping their plans under wraps.

Granted, I'm a suspicious person by nature, but I have to say I agree with you here! As much as I'd love for it to be pretty much what we've seen, it all just seems too perfect, and predictable...

Gatekeeper didn't slip until the night before. This a full week early plus the thing in the Sandusky Register over the winter. It almost feels too obvious. I'm fine with it being a dive machine and i would be happy to ride it but i just feel like this is all some kind of deception. If it's not so be it that would make me wrong and they need to hire someone capable of keeping their plans under wraps.

GK leaked at least a week early... I remember looking at the CAD drawings that were leaked at least a few days prior to announcement. It was not the night before. Same thing with Banshee.

As far as the leaked layout goes, if legit, is a bit disappointing. I love Sheikra and dive machines in general, but I was hoping for a wee-bit more uniqueness if CP was to do this type of coaster. The drop/immelman duo for example is on every single dive machine (aside from Oblivion) no? The post-MCBR run looks better than any other dive coaster, but I just feel like there could have been some other unique elements to be used to make it really stand out.

It should be a fun ride none-the-less... I was just hoping for a bit more specialness to the layout. Will be a great addition though and I will love it I am sure... Keep me in the front of the park even more (Between Raptor, GK, MF, Dragster and this I won't need to leave the front)...

Edited by Invertalon

I never had an issue with the old restraints but the new ones are fine too. I don't know what anyone's talking about with the "locking vests" but the only coasters I've ridden with these restraints are Gatekeeper after it was fixed, Banshee and Wild Eagle. I've never encountered a rough B&M or an uncomfortable B&M in my life with the exception of all of their standups minus the Carowinds Vortex which I enjoy.

Some B&M's throw your head around once or twice but it's really not painful... it's kind of fun. If it were relentless headbanging or violent headbanging it would bother me but one or 2 little, non painful transitions can be fun. You are on a roller coaster after all.

that final jolt on raptor.

<3

I have noticed by the way that the turn is much less abrupt on the right side of the train. For anyone who wants to have fun though, the front left seat is waiting for you.

Edited by coasterbill

Maybe CF is just a bunch of Internet trolls who love to mess with all of us here on the forums... Or, they just made a mistake. I'll take the latter. I don't think that CF feels like doing too much security when it comes to the announcements, because we will always end up finding the leaks anyways.

P.S- Like this design a lot, and I think it just improves on Sheikra, which is a quite fantastic ride.

A grand deception to throw off a few thousand coaster geeks? I think a leak sounds more plausible.

It's really not that difficult. Kings Island did it with Banshee though to a lesser extent.

Gatekeeper didn't slip until the night before. This a full week early plus the thing in the Sandusky Register over the winter. It almost feels too obvious. I'm fine with it being a dive machine and i would be happy to ride it but i just feel like this is all some kind of deception. If it's not so be it that would make me wrong and they need to hire someone capable of keeping their plans under wraps.

GK leaked at least a week early... I remember looking at the CAD drawings that were leaked at least a few days prior to announcement. It was not the night before. Same thing with Banshee.

I was referring to the pictures of layout and website. That happened the night before.

Even if this is deception, why would they leak an awesome new coaster which raises our hopes only to dissapoint us with no coaster and a dark ride? Seems like any sort of deception wouldn't increase hype for the supposed dark ride, but rather make us all pissed and without a coaster.

Even if this is deception, why would they leak an awesome new coaster which raises our hopes only to dissapoint us with no coaster and a dark ride? Seems like any sort of deception wouldn't increase hype for the supposed dark ride, but rather make us all pissed and without a coaster.

I wouldn't call dark ride "disappointing". It would definetly be different for CL, and I'm sure a lot of fans and GP would appreciate something like a dark ride-coaster hybrid over another "meh" b&m.

I wouldn't call dark ride "disappointing". It would definetly be different for CL, and I'm sure a lot of fans and GP would appreciate something like a dark ride-coaster hybrid over another "meh" b&m.

"Meh" B&M is probably the last way I would describe the worlds tallest, fastest and longest dive coaster. Honestly sometimes you guys hold Cedar Point to such standards that which they are destined to fail. This looks like an awesome ride to me and I would go out of my way for it, probably more so than Gatekeeper.

Come on people this is real. I know Cedar Fair loves to joke like they did with KI last year. But they don't make a logo and 3D track version just to fool the fans, I mean it cost a lot of money to make that and Cedar Fair is a company that wants to make money, they will not spend money on this just to fool some fans.

KI was different they just took a Image of Gatekeeper and posted the Bat logo next to it, it didn't cost money as they already had both things prepared. The lay-out was just taken from place A to B and the logo was already designed for the rebrand to Bat.

Honestly I will be shocked if this isn't real.

I really hope they go for the 8 car trains with the vest restraints over the 10 car trains with the OTSR's, because IMO B&M's OTSRS's are horribly designed with much of the restraint surrounding your head, which allows for a lot of headbanging on older rides. The vests eliminate this problem, and I'd rather wait a little longer for a better and more comfortable ride experience.

Yeah this happens to me too sometimes when I completely relax my neck muscles and allow the slightest change in direction to toss my head around accordingly.

Come on people this is real. I know Cedar Fair loves to joke like they did with KI last year. But they don't make a logo and 3D track version just to fool the fans, I mean it cost a lot of money to make that and Cedar Fair is a company that wants to make money, they will not spend money on this just to fool some fans.

KI was different they just took a Image of Gatekeeper and posted the Bat logo next to it, it didn't cost money as they already had both things prepared. The lay-out was just taken from place A to B and the logo was already designed for the rebrand to Bat.

Honestly I will be shocked if this isn't real.

Maybe it was a fan creation which had gone viral.

Does anyone know why this ride is following so closely after Gatekeeper? Just curious. The last two coasters were six years apart, before that they were four years apart. Now these two are only three years apart.

I think Gatekeeper was just somewhat of a fluke or a long pause for coasters after Maverick. If you look back at Cedar Point's history, since the 80's they've built new/record breaking coasters every few years. Magnum, Mean Streak, Rapor, Mantis, Millennium Force, Wicked Twister, and Top Thrill Dragster (plus a kiddie coaster in there) were all built in a timeframe of four years max in between (Mantis and Millennium Force).

After Maverick, and acquiring the Paramount parks, they wanted to focus on other parks, and reimagine the image of Cedar Point being more well rounded (not that it wasn't already). So, they took a five year break (2008-12) at Cedar Point, then got right back on track with Gatekeeper.

Two years of pretty minor investments relative to the parks history (excluding the Breakers renovation which was funded from a waterpark sale) and you have another great opportunity to reimagine the Marina gate for what is presumably much more affordable than Gatekeeper.

Anyways, that just my theory. It's not that this was particularly sped up, it's just the period of time between Maverick and Gatekeeper was a sign of change for the company.