TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Nobody ever really expects theming out of Cedar Point.

I agree here... but how about tunnels and flying by stuff? A pre-lift? Those are not necessarily theme elements. They are just "cool and unique" things that people would enjoy and remember about the ride.

Visuals don't do much for me on coasters anyway.

Have you been on Thunderbird? If you rode Thunderbird and also rode a clone of Thunderbird - built on a parking lot, they would be equal experiences to you?

So I was thinking about this, and two things just seem a little strange to me.

1) I guess the original memo would have been misinformed then, given that it stated it would have a few elements that are missing here.

0a010f7bd591c48f82551842668247ea.png

Drop Into a tunnel-missing but could be possible given that there is no terrain shown so far

Immelman(Inversion 1)- Present

270 degree roll(Inversion 2) - Missing.

banked curve- Present. I assume this would refer to the curve up to the MCBR

looping(inversion 3)- Missing.

immelman with a half-roll exit(Inversion 4)- Present. Assuming this means that weird barrel roll helix manuever.

second drop-Present

camel back-Present

spiral- Present. Assuming it refers to the helix before the camalback

That leaves the dive loop thats in the animation. the 270 degree roll, or the "Looping" could be refering to this. Either way one of those two is still missing.

2) The lift track at the plant shows a box spine like gatekeepers. Unless this is a new design, it will have to form and arch and there for could not have a turn between the lift and the drop.

11822684_871551942929091_1135289759534477709_n.jpg?oh=3291fb08628e9daf82b611fa6dfc4823&oe=563C13E7

2) The lift track at the plant shows a box spine like gatekeepers. Unless this is a new design, it will have to form and arch and there for could not have a turn between the lift and the drop.

[/img]

Well, Fury forms an arch, Gatekeeper doesn't, but still has the track piece that goes in to the ground. If that's what you're getting at, I don't think the fact that the box support goes in to the ground matters.

So I was thinking about this, and two things just seem a little strange to me.

1) I guess the original memo would have been misinformed then, given that it stated it would have a few elements that are missing here.

0a010f7bd591c48f82551842668247ea.png

Drop Into a tunnel-missing but could be possible given that there is no terrain shown so far

Immelman(Inversion 1)- Present

270 degree roll(Inversion 2) - Missing.

banked curve- Present. I assume this would refer to the curve up to the MCBR

looping(inversion 3)- Missing.

immelman with a half-roll exit(Inversion 4)- Present. Assuming this means that weird barrel roll helix manuever.

second drop-Present

camel back-Present

spiral- Present. Assuming it refers to the helix before the camalback

That leaves the dive loop thats in the animation. the 270 degree roll, or the "Looping" could be refering to this. Either way one of those two is still missing.

11822684_871551942929091_1135289759534477709_n.jpg?oh=3291fb08628e9daf82b611fa6dfc4823&oe=563C13E7

Am I the only one who feels that Intamin track is sexy and B&M track is just kinda blah looking.

^^ Ok, we get it, you think B&M's are terrible and Intamin's are gods, this is getting more repetitive now than FaithPlus1's El Diablo bashing.

For the leaked layout, I like it, it takes everything that the other Dive machines do and then some more.

I leave TPR for a day and I come back to 10+ pages to skim through!

I already knew about the leaked layout, but I'm gonna take the time to post my thoughts.

I expected a little more but I'm certainly not disappointed. The second half looks fantastic with the dive loop (new), the Zero G Roll thingy (new), the helix (new) and the airtime hill (new for a dive coaster of this scale). I can't believe I'm saying this but for once it's the first half that looks a little weak for me and uninspired. It seems they did the same thing they did with Sheikra and Griffon, and I was hoping they'd do something a little more creative. Still though, the second half more than makes up for it. It's funny because usually the first half of a B&M is stellar only to have a weak second half haha. Being the "Gatekeeper of the Marina", it's going to look ridiculously photogenic just like Gatekeeper was/is. I really hope they go for the 8 car trains with the vest restraints over the 10 car trains with the OTSR's, because IMO B&M's OTSRS's are horribly designed with much of the restraint surrounding your head, which allows for a lot of headbanging on older rides. The vests eliminate this problem, and I'd rather wait a little longer for a better and more comfortable ride experience. I think CP has a winner on their hands, it's going to be like Griffon and Sheikra (which are both fantastic coasters) only better in every way (minus theming). I hope I get to ride this one day!

^^ I have never experienced any type of head banging on Sheikra nor Griffin.

OTSR's versus vests probably aren't going to make much of a difference here unless the newly styled loops were to get rough after a few years.

^^ Ok, we get it, you think B&M's are terrible and Intamin's are gods, this is getting more repetitive now than FaithPlus1's El Diablo bashing.

For the leaked layout, I like it, it takes everything that the other Dive machines do and then some more.

So I'm off the hook?!!! lmao Thanks to all involved I'd take a record breaking Dive Machine over a carnival ride I saw at the Ohio State Fair 3 days ago. Call me crazy but I think SFGADV deservers more. Maybe they will deliver this year?

IMO B&M's OTSRS's are horribly designed with much of the restraint surrounding your head, which allows for a lot of headbanging on older rides

Sometimes I swear I must be riding different rides than everyone else... there's officially no coaster in existence that someone doesn't find rough. When I think B&M, the last thing I think of is a reputation for headbanging, even on most older rides.

Am I the only one who feels that Intamin track is sexy and B&M track is just kinda blah looking.

I have to disagree with you on that one. As a child, I always assumed Intamins were crappy because of the look of their track design used on Millennium Force, Wicked Twister, etc. I know Intamin has also used similar styles to B&M in the past, and I do think the style used on Skyrush and I-305 is a visual improvement, but B&M's track looks the more polished and aesthetically pleasing in my opinion. However, now that I've ridden more Intamins than just Millennium Force, I must say that seeing Intamin track gets me more excited than seeing B&M track! And no, there's no innuendo implied there.

That argument aside, Dive Machines are one of B&M's best and most thrilling products. A Sheikra or Griffon clone would have gotten job done for Cedar Point, but it looks like they're building something better. I for one do not think the second half of the leaked layout looks all that great unless it is taken at a decent speed, which I do not think is likely, but it still beat's Sheikra's or Griffon's.

I love this layout.

Considering the coasters B&M have built lately have seemed uninspired and not really focused on ride experience (my opinion) , This is really impressive.

What's so impressive to you, just curious

Well, first off i have riden SheiKra, so i know the unique experience of a dive machine (or atleast one), i know that this layout is interesting to me, and impressive to me, and i also know SheiKra was impressive and forceful for me. Another thing i know is that all of this was my opinion, and it shouldn't matter to you at all, just like your anti-B&M opinions are really ignorant and annoying in my opinion, but yet again it is just your opinion and it does not matter what so ever.

So to clarify: in comparison to the layout with SheiKra, this looks like it will be a better experience than SheiKra to me because it will be faster and maybe even more forceful. It will also be very visually appealing in the park, on the ride, and in the skyline....TO ME.

I LOVE Dive coasters (rode Griffon), but I'm disappointed by the layout of Valravn, if this leak is real. I think it's going to be a thrilling coaster, but it's not going to be a stand out attraction like the rest of Cedar Point's lineup.

Well... look at Cedar Point's existing B&M coasters. Raptor was for inverts was Valravn will be for dive coasters, only earlier on and has since been beaten. Raptor doesn't have the "Wow" factor of the Intamins in the park, but it still has incredibly high ridership and is one of the top attractions at the park. I don't see how this would be any different--no, it isn't a 300 foot scream machine some were (unrealistically) hoping for, but to me it looks like it could be a huge win for the park, just like Gatekeeper was. And I think there'll be much less whining about Valravn than there was about Gatekeeper.

I LOVE Dive coasters (rode Griffon), but I'm disappointed by the layout of Valravn, if this leak is real. I think it's going to be a thrilling coaster, but it's not going to be a stand out attraction like the rest of Cedar Point's lineup.
I think it will, its going to bring people over near Bluestreak, and its going to tower over the midway, the roll/turn element is going to look sweet across from Iron Dragon (especially if a tunnel is added?) Its a Dive coaster i just don't get how the third tallest coaster in the park will not stand out. (IMO)

^^^I think that might be OK though... We can't expect every ride to go into the point to be a (pardon the vulgarity) "balls to the wall" style ride. I think a well rounded line up, with different experiences make a park better. Don't get me wrong, I love an ass kicking ride, but I don't think a park that only had those types of rides would be a good park... Look at Six Flags Great Adventure's thread, it's been discussed at nausium how they need to fill in the medium thrill category in their line up...

I think this is a perfect addition to the park, allowing the GP a great experience that I'm sure 85% of the GP has never seen or experienced before. I am sure it will be a huge hit with them, and although we will all want to complain about its lack of strong forces, deep down we will love it too!

Edited by Brassinthegrass

IMO B&M's OTSRS's are horribly designed with much of the restraint surrounding your head, which allows for a lot of headbanging on older rides

Sometimes I swear I must be riding different rides than everyone else... there's officially no coaster in existence that someone doesn't find rough. When I think B&M, the last thing I think of is a reputation for headbanging, even on most older rides.

It's usually nothing serious, unless we're talking standups, but on the older B&M's it's noticeable. It's just that the restraint goes so high above your shoulders that they go up to your head which allows for some headbanging on quicker transitions which tend to be found on older B&M's. Nothing enough to seriously detract from the ride experience, but no headbanging is better than a little headbanging,.

Slight headbanging > Tight vest digging into my shoulders

Agreed 100%. I will gladly take the old(er) B&M restraints over the new(er) vest harness any day.

Which is one of the reasons I hope the rumors about the new restraints on the dive machine are false.

After getting to experience the vests this year, I didn't have a problem with them other than them being too tight, but I never noticed that until the end of the ride. My friend on the other hand wasn't crazy about them, as they dug into his collarbone. I've seen a variety of options on the vests and I really think it just depends on how you're built.

Really the vests are only necessary for rides with slow inline rolls which is most of the wing coasters and Banshee. So, I really don't understand why they would need to design a new wider train with less seats. You're basically slightly decreasing capacity for no reason.

Edit: Hydras the only exception I can think of and that was way back in 2005.

Edited by Koasterking48