TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Perhaps with this addition, more Dive Machines will start popping up at other U.S.A. parks. Kind of like the Wingriders, and RMC's. I could see smaller ones added to at least the smaller parks in the CF chain.

My thoughts are this - assuming this is all real...

Every B&M Dive Machine I've been on, sans maybe the original Oblivion & G5 has been by far a better experience than every Wing Rider I've been on, and probably *most* of the other B&M hypers, Inverts (other than maybe Banshee), or Floorless coasters I've ridden from them since about 2004.

So that being said, even if this is the worst of the Dive Machines, which I don't think it would be based on that that layout, I certainly see this ride being much better than Gatekeeper, X-Flight, Leviathan, OzIris, Silver Bullet, Wild Eagle, Intimidator, Led Zeppelin, Phaethon, Hollywood Dream, Patriot, Hydra... just to name a few.

Sure, it might not be the be-all end of coasters even at Cedar Point, but I think it has a shot at being one of the better B&Ms to come along in the last ten years.

There is nothing wrong with this Dive coaster...at all. Man CP fans can be so spoiled. You get the ride MF, Maverick, TTD... And now this?

This will be an all star line up. I'm baffled as to how anyone could be disappointed by this.

There is nothing wrong with this Dive coaster...at all. Man CP fans can be so spoiled. You get the ride MF, Maverick, TTD... And now this?

This will be an all star line up. I'm baffled as to how anyone could be disappointed by this.

This is exactly what I'm thinking too! If one of the parks near me was getting this ride I would be so pumped.

This would look so good at Dorney, Worlds of Fun, or Valleyfair. But at CP, it almost laughable. Why does CP need another roller coaster. Would've been more excited to see a dark ride. The layout looks so uninspired and boring. Again, at a smaller park, this layout could've done wonders. At CP, it won't even be in the top 5. So disappointing.

One of the saltier posts I've read in a while.

Roller coaster layouts stand on their own. If accurate, this appears it will be the best dive machine constructed thus far and will slide into the majority of people's top 5 at the park.

I completely agree. Like this is unoriginal, compared to what?? Only two other coasters like this in the US? The closest one being ~8 or 9 hours away? I bet a lot of the GP has never seen anything like this, so for CP to implement that for it's guests, seems pretty original.

To each their own, but personally I think it'll be a great addition, whether you're GP, an enthusiast, or anything!

I'm really excited about this if it's real. Ever since I was on Sheikra in 2009, I've wanted to take a trip down to BGE to ride Griffon, but the 8 hour drive was always just a bit too much. Now there will (presumably) be a bigger, faster, and badder dive machine only 3 hours away?! That's awesome! I can't wait!

I'm with Robb on this one. I've ridden Griffon and it was definitely one of the best B&M's I've ridden.

My question is this--for those that are disappointed, what more were you expecting? We pretty much expected all the stats... 223 feet, 80 mph, most inversions on a dive coaster. Thats exactly what this is, and people complain that it "isn't more." What, just because something will be built at CP it "has" to revolutionize the industry? This will probably be among the top two B&M's at the park (with Raptor) and a top five coaster at the park. Oh, how awful.

I completely agree. Like this is unoriginal, compared to what?? Only two other coasters like this in the US?

Exactly. Again, I'm not the biggest B&M fan out there, most people know this, mainly because I haven't been impressed with a lot of their rides lately, but I'm happy to see another Dive Machine be built. It has potential.

^ I'm with you on B&M. They aren't bad rides, but no new B&Ms are making it into my top 10 these days. That said, this coaster, if the real layout (which I'm pretty sure now it will be), will not only be the most ambition Dive Machine in the world, but will also bring elements that have not been featured on either of the two US DMs yet.

I don't really care for DMs myself, but I'm actually pretty pumped for this layout. I especially like the looks of the "wrap around dive roll," (for lack of a better name for this fun looking new element).

I completely agree. Like this is unoriginal, compared to what?? Only two other coasters like this in the US?

Exactly. Again, I'm not the biggest B&M fan out there, most people know this, mainly because I haven't been impressed with a lot of their rides lately, but I'm happy to see another Dive Machine be built. It has potential.

I personally loved Sheikra. And this looks even better so it should be a good coaster. The turn before the MCBR looks like it could pull some good forces. Honestly I think the B&M's of the last 2-3 years have looked great. Banshee, Thunderbird, and Fury all seem to be getting more favorable reviews.

How's Gatekeeper fare with the GP?

Virtually everyone outside of the enthusiast community loves it and it's an absolute home run. The last 2 years it's had the highest ridership numbers in the park.

Personally I like the ride quite a bit, it's not forceful at all but it's fun and I think enthusiasts are way too hard on it. Again... just my opinion though, your mileage may vary.

I am personally very pleased overall and excited to ride this next year, if these images prove to be legitimate. Griffon is in my Top 10 so I'm sure this will be great. Dive machine drops have a unique feeling to me, and that moment of anticipation in the holding brakes is so effective !

Mostly I'm excited to see a zero-g roll, after seeing one out on Baron I was hoping Cedar Point's not so secret project would sport one, wish granted!

At first I thought the climbing turn into the MCBR was also a roll and it exited the roll into the brakes and got stoked, but then I realized it wasn't and I was kinda let down because I thought that would have been really interesting to see done. Wish they would have because then it would have had the 4 inversions as claimed by that news site.

Not impressed. No worries. Dollywood gets my money next year yay

Anyone who has ever seen one of your posts knows you're impossible to please unless its an Intamin or RMC. You add nothing to discussions and all you do is bash other coasters for not being I305.

Personally, the layout looks great. That zero g roll + helix looks really fun. I hope I can ride next year!

I think it looks fine and it will be a really fun rollercoaster with a great visual right in the location. I really like Griffon and Sheikra, and this looks even better. Sure, I wish it was a bit more inventive, and it's hard to be super-stoked when you just saw something like Lightning Rod.

This has to be embarrassing for Cedar Point to, once again, have its announcement apparently hacked a week ahead of time!

Finally, Gatekeeper is WOEFULLY over-criticized in my view. That first drop with the turn at the top and the upside plunge is unbelievably great in my view -- why don't more people find that drop super intense? I certainly do. And then the soar up into the inversion with some hang time, followed by the floater hill (for the front seat). I think it's a very fun, very solid ride -- and with a stunning location and cool, meandering layout. I don't get the disdain for it (and the public certainly doesn't agree).

How's Gatekeeper fare with the GP?

Virtually everyone outside of the enthusiast community loves it and it's an absolute home run. The last 2 years it's had the highest ridership numbers in the park.

Personally I like the ride quite a bit, it's not forceful at all but it's fun and I think enthusiasts are way too hard on it. Again... just my opinion though, your mileage may vary.

I totally agree with this. I think most people were expecting a forceful, breakneck fast ride, but that wasn't the point of this. I thought it was a very comfortable and fun ride.

As I posted a while back, I'm willing to bet a large majority of people complaining about the dive coaster have never ridden Sheikra or Griffon. I rode Sheikra last year and thought it was really fun.

Agreed, as was Griffon.

There is NOTHING forceless about those plunges down the two vertical (or near vertical) drops.

Assuming this leak is true, it looks like a fun, solid ride that will offer the capacity and wide age appeal of Cedar Point. Essentially, it's GateKeeper 2.0. I feel like doing something significant to Mean Streak was higher on the priority list than another B&M, but the layout looks fun, and hopefully it lives up to the hype of Griffon and SheiKra.

Gatekeeper is WOEFULLY over-criticized in my view. That first drop with the turn at the top and the upside plunge is unbelievably great in my view -- why don't more people find that drop super intense?

I think the problem most people have with Gatekeeper isn't the first drop or even up until the first keyhole, it's just that once it goes over the entrance to the park, the ride might as well be over. I can't think of many more coasters that have such a decent beginning into one of the most boring and useless 2nd halves of a layout ever.

And the first drop is very good. I'm not sure I would call it "super intense" but it is very good.