TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Can anyone look into their crystal ball and provide some insight on crowd levels next week? Thinking of going Tuesday. 20 caps on mycokerewards and you get a free admission. I was going to spring for Fastlane+ but I'm not sure if I'll need it. The one time I got it and definitely needed it was during Halloweekends.

If I choose to get FL+ is it easy to buddy up with other people purchasing it? There will just be the 2 of us so I would need to find 2 other nice folks to pay with to save $10 each.

I really only need to hit all the main coasters once, and maybe a reride or two where lines warrant it...and then head home (3.5 hr drive) around 6.

But remember if there are any virtual raindrops the ride has to close down as per Cedar Point's virtual rain policy.

I think virtual wind might be a bigger issue.

Ride operator: "Look, I KNOW the ride is supposed to have virtual lightning but you also KNOW as per the policies here at Cedar Point, we can not operate any roller coasters when there is ANY sight of lightning within (insert insane distance here) virtual miles!"

Guess we might as well look into that "World's Largest Dave and Busters" idea again... with all that virtual lightning, the park may never be able to open its coasters ever again!

(I'm done after this post, I promise. Two terrible posts bashing CP's rain policy is enough out of this enthusiast)

Can anyone look into their crystal ball and provide some insight on crowd levels next week? Thinking of going Tuesday. 20 caps on mycokerewards and you get a free admission. I was going to spring for Fastlane+ but I'm not sure if I'll need it. The one time I got it and definitely needed it was during Halloweekends..

Can't say for sure, but it appears that the crowd levels have been really insane over the last couple of weeks.

Can anyone look into their crystal ball and provide some insight on crowd levels next week? Thinking of going Tuesday. 20 caps on mycokerewards and you get a free admission. I was going to spring for Fastlane+ but I'm not sure if I'll need it. The one time I got it and definitely needed it was during Halloweekends..

Can't say for sure, but it appears that the crowd levels have been really insane over the last couple of weeks.

Fridays, Saturdays, and Monday's the past two weeks have been packed. I was there this past Saturday and even the Fast Lane Plus line for Dragster and Maverick were over an hour.

I was just at the park tonight with my younger kids and the front parking lot was mostly full while the soak city lot was about half full around 7. Tony Clark and a bunch of employees were lugging video equipment around and I over heard a worker say they had to go be in an announcement video. I'm sure something will leak out sooner than later.

Looks like we know where the Virtual Reality is being tested.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:zo5K2_geLnkJ:https://play.google.com/store/apps/details%3Fid%3Dcom.CedarFair.CedarPointVR+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

(in case the cache is updated: http://www.appjenny.com/Android/App/1913172/com.CedarFair.CedarPointVR)

Also, "learn more on August 18"...looks like the Dive Coaster might just be the test coaster.

Do you think maybe that's why they say it's going to be a "Historic Day"? "Announcing the worlds FIRST roller coaster to feature Virtual Reality theming - where the water is always choppy plus thunder and Whyte Lightning ignite the sky!"

But remember if there are any virtual raindrops the ride has to close down as per Cedar Point's virtual rain policy.

An article out of the Toledo Blade (see link) stated that the virtual reality concept would be just a test and not permanent yet. It's going to go on to one existing rollercoaster later this year, so that would rule out the Dive Coaster. Also, remember, this is a way to try to figure out how to help enhance an old attraction, so the Dive Coaster wouldn't even be a candidate. Here's the link: http://www.toledoblade.com/Retail/2015/08/05/Cedar-Fair-ride-to-test-tech-thrills.html

It's totally going to be Canada's Wonderland their test park

Kings Island says get in line...

Gurl we've been the test park since 2008

Yeah, but they perfect everything at KI

I'd say that Kings Island has been the test park for the most part. These notable ones stand out, and there are probably even more that slipped under the radar or that I am not even thinking of right now.

-Dinosaurs Alive!

-FastLane/FrightLane

-The short-lived (but may return soon) Season Pass Loyalty Rewards Program

-And, if I am not mistaken, they also tested FunTV before it became FunTV as well as electronic wait time displays.

-PLUS, according to the article above, Kings Island was the first park to get in-park WiFi and Carowinds rolled it out too.

I wouldn't be surprised, in all honesty, if the VR actually went to Cedar Point for a test during HalloWeekends on either CCMR or Iron Dragon. But, at this point, it could go anywhere. But I would classify Kings Island as the "test park" (if you really want to go down the path of a "test park"). Going back to the VR, I just don't know what to think about it yet. Could be very interesting.

Edited by Coasterguy21

I think putting a virtual reality element on an existing coaster is a really good idea...

Just kidding it's ridiculously stupid. But if you can choose to ride it without the virtual reality element then I don't have an issue with it. The only way I'd like this idea was if they did it on Mean Streak and while you rode it you were on an animation of Mean Streak with iron horse track going through barrel rolls. Bonus points if they made in No Limits. Extra Bonus Points if they made it in Rollercoaster Tycoon 3.

If they put some virtual reality imagery on Wicked Twister that would be really trippy. Like traveling through space or something weird. It might be better than being high... or how I imagine it to be

What if they traveled through space and ended up in Alaska? I'm just kidding... that idea sucks and makes absolutely no sense and no park in their right mind would ever do anything that st...

what? seriously? oh.

What if they traveled through space and ended up in Alaska? I'm just kidding... that idea sucks and makes absolutely no sense and no park in their right mind would ever do anything that st...

what? seriously? oh.

DispatchMasterTransport

VR on WT does sound interesting. Wicked Twister has multiple launches, free falls (zero-gravity), strong positive Gs and plenty of rotational forces all in a short window of time. A quick VR combined with this would provide some insane experiences. Plus with it only being one train, it would be the easiest to install VR.

I'm okay with this as long as it is OPTIONAL. I can already feel the random advertisements displaying on the HUD, "brought to you by GameFly!"

I'm okay with this as long as it is OPTIONAL. I can already feel the random advertisements displaying on the HUD, "brought to you by GameFly!"

I'll give Cedar Fair credit, they're not overbearing with ads. Fun TV is a perfect example of this, it actually entertains people in line. Does it have an ad every now and then? Yes. But for the most part they have trivia, music videos and things that are there to keep the guests entertained.

Six Flags TV on the other hand is getting absolutely unbearable. I'd much rather wait in line for a ride at Six Flags that doesn't have it and listen to music than endless commercials turned up to the max.

Six Flags TV on the other hand is getting absolutely unbearable. I'd much rather wait in line for a ride at Six Flags that doesn't have it and listen to music than endless commercials turned up to the max.

Fun TV was a big surprise. I noticed at both KD and CP that the majority of the queues were fully engaged in the trivia, and the music videos did make the crowds more lively. I find Fun TV to be quite enjoyable myself, minus Taylor Swift.