TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

^Although it may sound cool at first IMO this is just a cheap way to pass off something as a "new ride" without actually getting a new ride.

How many of you guys have actually experienced VR? It is becoming incredibly immersive. Everyone complained about how Mantis getting new trains was also "a cheap way to pass off something as a new ride without actually getting a new ride", but if it improves the experience, who cares?

^Although it may sound cool at first IMO this is just a cheap way to pass off something as a "new ride" without actually getting a new ride.

How many of you guys have actually experienced VR? It is becoming incredibly immersive. Everyone complained about how Mantis getting new trains was also "a cheap way to pass off something as a new ride without actually getting a new ride", but if it improves the experience, who cares?

I mean maybe I will understand how cool it is once I try one so I'll give it a chance.

I've tried the Oculus at a demo one day. Honestly, I got motion sick just having it on for 10 minutes without moving. For me, it would just make me sick on a roller coaster I think.

Do you happen to know which version it was? There have been significant improvements to latency, frame rate, and the "screen door effect" since the early versions of it.

I have only been to BGW and I remember Griffon was pretty much constantly stacking. There was only room for one train in the station. I don't remember being rushed - persay but I do remember the load/unload process was a little chaotic. Like, the second they restraints unlocked, the gates would open and people would flood in to get the seats they wanted.

Yeah, I remember really scratching my head when I learned Griffon would only have one load station (much the same way I question BGW for not putting a duel load + transfer on Tempesto... but oh well). The first few years of Griffon, I'm not even sure why they bothered running three trains. With three trains, they have more staffing on the platform, yet they were ALWAYS fully stacked the first few seasons. I think now they have things figured out better. My last visit, they were only running two trains, which means fewer platform workers, yet they were running so efficiently that a train was leaving the station before the train behind it even hit the final brake run (which is pretty impressive for a ride as short as Griffon, especially one with such a tricky loading process compared to older B&Ms).

Might Sheikra's conversion to Floorless trains in 2007 be the reason it loads differently than Griffon? It already had the dual loading station (as seen on Oblivion/G5) in place when it opened originally with the Sitdown train in 2005, so the Floorless conversion & station hardware that came with it was more of a retrofit onto the existing station design, whereas Griffon came a few years later and was intended to be a Floorless design to begin with. I think the Sheikra clone in China (built originally as Floorless) might have a single load station like Griffon. Could be wrong, not sure.

This is all just bored-at-work speculation by me; I'm sure if Cedar Point wanted to build a quad-loading station on this presumed Dive Machine, they would.

Might Sheikra's conversion to Floorless trains in 2007 be the reason it loads differently than Griffon? It already had the dual loading station (as seen on Oblivion/G5) in place when it opened originally with the Sitdown train in 2005, so the Floorless conversion & station hardware that came with it was more of a retrofit onto the existing station design, whereas Griffon came a few years later and was intended to be a Floorless design to begin with. I think the Sheikra clone in China (built originally as Floorless) might have a single load station like Griffon. Could be wrong, not sure.

This is all just bored-at-work speculation by me; I'm sure if Cedar Point wanted to build a quad-loading station on this presumed Dive Machine, they would.

Honestly, I think it has more to do with foot traffic and staffing. BGT is open year round, and has a higher guest attendance than BGW. At the time of Griffon, the rumor was that BGW didn't want to staff a duel loading station, and would have 2 extra seats per row to "help with capacity." The park has said that Griffon was designed with a floor, and the added weight from going 10 across was the reason they moved to floorless. I would wager that if the park had wanted a floorless AND a duel loader from the start with Griffon, B&M would happily have obliged.

I'm sure they'd do the same for CP, and if CP gets a DM, I sincerely hope they do.

Maybe CP goes with the same loading procedures as Carowinds did with Fury with sending a train as soon as everything is checked and having the train held just outside the station before the lift and then being released from there as soon as safely possible. That way they are loading pretty much constantly and the line almost never stops moving.

Maybe CP goes with the same loading procedures as Carowinds did with Fury with sending a train as soon as everything is checked and having the train held just outside the station before the lift and then being released from there as soon as safely possible. That way they are loading pretty much constantly and the line almost never stops moving.

Isn't this pretty much the same thing that happens on SheiKra when they are loading, and dispatching two trains at a time? They both leave the station at the same time, and one waits outside the station for the lift to clear before the next train advances to the lift hill??

I feel like if they are building a Dive Machine, they will use the dual loading station like SheiKra, Maverick, TTD..

Isn't this pretty much the same thing that happens on SheiKra when they are loading, and dispatching two trains at a time? They both leave the station at the same time, and one waits outside the station for the lift to clear before the next train advances to the lift hill??

I don't know as I have never ridden SheiKra but maybe.

New trains, same head bang...

That's really a shame because with better restraints (ala Banshee, Gatekeeper) the ride would've been really solid. I loved the layout of Mantis when I rode, just couldn't take the roughness and headbaning. I'm sure the new trains fixed the roughness but to no avail if it still smashes your head.

Looks like we know where the Virtual Reality is being tested.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:zo5K2_geLnkJ:https://play.google.com/store/apps/details%3Fid%3Dcom.CedarFair.CedarPointVR+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

(in case the cache is updated: http://www.appjenny.com/Android/App/1913172/com.CedarFair.CedarPointVR)

Also, "learn more on August 18"...looks like the Dive Coaster might just be the test coaster.

That's really a shame because with better restraints (ala Banshee, Gatekeeper) the ride would've been really solid. I loved the layout of Mantis when I rode, just couldn't take the roughness and headbaning. I'm sure the new trains fixed the roughness but to no avail if it still smashes your head.

It really didn't seem that bad to me at all. But then again I'm a metalhead so I'm used to headbanging

How is Rougarou a head banger? I've been on it in most rows and would not call it anything but smooth, forceful, fun, and full of a surprising amount of small air time pops like all the good B&Ms. The best part is, since it's a 1996 ride dressed up, and not one of these new forceless B&Ms, it's really fun!

Earlier post:

"Everyone complained about how Mantis getting new trains was also "a cheap way to pass off something as a new ride without actually getting a new ride"

Really? I get a different head bang entirely.

Looks like we know where the Virtual Reality is being tested.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:zo5K2_geLnkJ:https://play.google.com/store/apps/details%3Fid%3Dcom.CedarFair.CedarPointVR+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

(in case the cache is updated: http://www.appjenny.com/Android/App/1913172/com.CedarFair.CedarPointVR)

Also, "learn more on August 18"...looks like the Dive Coaster might just be the test coaster.

Do you think maybe that's why they say it's going to be a "Historic Day"? "Announcing the worlds FIRST roller coaster to feature Virtual Reality theming - where the water is always choppy plus thunder and Whyte Lightning ignite the sky!"

But remember if there are any virtual raindrops the ride has to close down as per Cedar Point's virtual rain policy.