TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

In the case of Oblivion it has the inline dual loading station, so two trains can be unloaded and loaded at once, and then both are dispatched at the same time. The first heads up the lift hill and the second holds just before lift until the track ahead is clear. This allows another two trains to be loading in the station. It's a good set up and can easily be switched to single train loading at quieter times. I presume that most dive coasters operate like this.

Should have clarified, I could see an inline loading arrangement being possible allowing for quick loading and unloading. Using old style trains with floors could also increase capacity by not needing the complicated raising and lowering floor.

In the case of Oblivion it has the inline dual loading station, so two trains can be unloaded and loaded at once, and then both are dispatched at the same time. The first heads up the lift hill and the second holds just before lift until the track ahead is clear. This allows another two trains to be loading in the station. It's a good set up and can easily be switched to single train loading at quieter times. I presume that most dive coasters operate like this.

Thats how Maverick and TTD works, so i suppose if CP got a dive machine it possibly could too.

I'm almost more excited for them to improve infrastructure than add a coaster at this point. The food in the back of the park is still seriously lacking, macking those better would improve the park experience the most out of all the options followed by a mean streak redo. In my opinion they should improve what's their now before putting in more.

Does anyone know what the theoretical capacity for Sheikra is? With the dual station the were pumping through riders on my visit earlier this year. Like others have said Sheikra runs 4 trains and loads exactly like maverick. Two trains load/unload while two trains on the course. The second train sits on a holding break until the lift is clear on Sheikra and from what I saw the line moves really fast waiting for Sheikra. Whit that set up I think Sheikra will have a way higher capacity than say Maverick or Dragster.

Dual loading like Manta at SWO? Its a tight turn coming out of the station on the switches, I don't know if the large Dive Trains could make it around.

I'm sure the radius will appropriated for the rolling stock, but I still agree. These trains are wide, not long, so the loading/unloading process shouldn't be too long. I wonder if they'll try a Maverick/TTD style station system? Expect the front is load and the back is unload.

I'm starting to suspect a flyer at this point.

I can't clearly remember, but i THINK Sheikra does this. I could be completely wrong, but I'm fairly certain.

I would personally hope that Valravn would use the same station style / system as TTD, Maverick and SheiKra. I have only been to BGW and I remember Griffon was pretty much constantly stacking. There was only room for one train in the station. I don't remember being rushed - persay but I do remember the load/unload process was a little chaotic. Like, the second they restraints unlocked, the gates would open and people would flood in to get the seats they wanted. Being that it was my first dive coaster, I absolutely enjoyed every last second of it. Yes, even AFTER the MCBR. I remember laughing and simply enjoying the ride from start to finish and if it wasnt for the insanely long line - considering I didnt have much time to be in the park - I would've went on it again and again. The drop was insane. I wasn't at all expecting it to be because I've been on all the coasters currently at the Point and I figured nothing could compare... but in all honesty it FELT like CP quality. And I remember saying that to the people I went with (Whom by the time we left were a little tired of my coaster enthusiast commentary) and a few of them that have been to CP agreed. So if they get a Dive Machine, and it is longer, taller, faster etc. than griffon, I would expect it to be amazing. IMHO.

I would personally hope that Valravn would use the same station style / system as TTD, Maverick and SheiKra. I have only been to BGW and I remember Griffon was pretty much constantly stacking. There was only room for one train in the station. I don't remember being rushed - persay but I do remember the load/unload process was a little chaotic. Like, the second they restraints unlocked, the gates would open and people would flood in to get the seats they wanted. Being that it was my first dive coaster, I absolutely enjoyed every last second of it. Yes, even AFTER the MCBR. I remember laughing and simply enjoying the ride from start to finish and if it wasnt for the insanely long line - considering I didnt have much time to be in the park - I would've went on it again and again. The drop was insane. I wasn't at all expecting it to be because I've been on all the coasters currently at the Point and I figured nothing could compare... but in all honesty it FELT like CP quality. And I remember saying that to the people I went with (Whom by the time we left were a little tired of my coaster enthusiast commentary) and a few of them that have been to CP agreed. So if they get a Dive Machine, and it is longer, taller, faster etc. than griffon, I would expect it to be amazing. IMHO.

I thought Griffon had the same style loading station as SheiKra? It loads/unloads 2 trains at a time? As far as stacking. Last I noticed SheiKra would be running 5-6 trains, and they would always be stacked on the brake run. Mainly because they couldn't physically check and dispatch the trains fast enough to keep the brake run clear.

Edited by DoinItForTheFame

Does anyone know what the theoretical capacity for Sheikra is? With the dual station the were pumping through riders on my visit earlier this year. Like others have said Sheikra runs 4 trains and loads exactly like maverick. Two trains load/unload while two trains on the course. The second train sits on a holding break until the lift is clear on Sheikra and from what I saw the line moves really fast waiting for Sheikra. Whit that set up I think Sheikra will have a way higher capacity than say Maverick or Dragster.

It absolutely does. Every time I have been on Sheikra or griffon, the line has always moved pretty quickly. With Cedar Point being so concerned about capacity, I can see them doing a dual in line loading station and making sure there is always a loaded car at the bottom of the lift hill. These machines can be people eaters -- maybe not like Gatekeeper, but certainly better than TTD or Maverick.

With a slightly longer layout and quicker crews, the trains might stack less on CP's version, but that will be a function of how many trains they run.

I thought Griffon had the same style loading station as SheiKra? It loads/unloads 2 trains at a time? As far as stacking. Last I noticed SheiKra would be running 5-6 trains, and they would always be stacked on the brake run. Mainly because they couldn't physically check and dispatch the trains fast enough to keep the brake run clear.

Griffon only loads/unloads one train at a time. Sheikra does 2 trains at a time. I think it is better with two trains at a time personally...

Conference Call Information

~Wifi will be coming to the 5 largest parks in 2016, Infrastructure will be the main focus of Cedar Fair.

~California's Great America is really impressing Cedar Fair and they will be focusing investments on this park. The are going through a rezoning process to invest capital in this park.

~A virtual reality will be tested on an existing coaster in 2016. This is a test to see if they can make an older coaster better without building a 30 million dollar coaster.

~Highest season pass sales this year ever in history for Cedar Fair along with highest in park spending.

~The "detererating" canadian dollar is negatively impacting business to the north and they expect this to be the case for the remainder of the season. However, The Canadian property is doing very well despite the dollar and the company is taking measure to counteract this

~BBQ & Brew and food trucks has been a major success for the chain,and they are looking to improve them and expand them. As I said before expect to see Brew and BBQ in 2016 at Canada's Wonderland.

~Parks, plural will be announcing their attractions in the weeks to come, but the chain is working on making their parks a place to come have fun and not be all about coasters.

What does the virtual reality thing mean?

I have only been to BGW and I remember Griffon was pretty much constantly stacking. There was only room for one train in the station. I don't remember being rushed - persay but I do remember the load/unload process was a little chaotic. Like, the second they restraints unlocked, the gates would open and people would flood in to get the seats they wanted.

Yeah, I remember really scratching my head when I learned Griffon would only have one load station (much the same way I question BGW for not putting a duel load + transfer on Tempesto... but oh well). The first few years of Griffon, I'm not even sure why they bothered running three trains. With three trains, they have more staffing on the platform, yet they were ALWAYS fully stacked the first few seasons. I think now they have things figured out better. My last visit, they were only running two trains, which means fewer platform workers, yet they were running so efficiently that a train was leaving the station before the train behind it even hit the final brake run (which is pretty impressive for a ride as short as Griffon, especially one with such a tricky loading process compared to older B&Ms).

That said, CF is all about ops and capacity. Not only do they consistently put more people working the platform than BGW, but I doubt they would build something known to be a slow loader without taking whatever option there is to increase capacity.

Basically, they put a headset on you, like an Oculus, and they project a different locations and atmospheres into the headset. So it feels like your riding the ride in a completely different location.

Once VR is perfected, this will be an absolute breakthrough for coaster theming. Although, some might look at it as the lazy route. But the riders should have the option to ride with or without regardless.

^Not gonna happen! It was mentioned in the conference call and then a news article that the VR wasn't going to be a permanent attraction...yet. Ouimet stated it would be a "test" on an existing coaster and that it would be carried out later this year. My bet, for some odd reason, is on Iron Dragon beginning in September and running all of HalloWeekends.

http://www.mcall.com/business/mc-dorney-park-parent-reports-earnings-20150804-story.html

Cedar Fair spokeswoman Carolyn McLean said the specific park and roller coaster will be revealed in a few weeks.

"This is only a test, but it starts to give you a flavor for the opportunities that could happen over time where we could create a compelling and reprogrammable experience with less capital," Ouimet said. "We expect to be in a position shortly to announce other projects of this nature."