TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I'm very excited for this, I love dive machines!

But what makes me even MORE excited is the fact that the only other model B&M offers that CP doesn't have, and is not redundant in their current lineup, is a flyer! And if they keep sticking to B&M, and get a flyer, they'll be out of beemers to buy, and they'll HAVE to go to someone else! That's when we'll FINALLY get Steel Meaner Streak!

All jokes aside, if they are truthfully getting a DM, I think it's a great fit, and Ill be there for the grand opening

^ I've envisioned a B&M Flyer at CP for many years now.

You and me both! I've been strongly desirous of a custom, terrain interactive B&M Flyer, ever since the mid 2000's. Just ask any of my enthusiast friends from back then, as it was all I ever talked about wanting at CP! Unfortunately, I suspect that I may very well die with that dream unrealized, in spite of all the other wonderful things CP has done...

But what makes me even MORE excited is the fact that the only other model B&M offers that CP doesn't have, and is not redundant in their current lineup, is a flyer! And if they keep sticking to B&M, and get a flyer, they'll be out of beemers to buy, and they'll HAVE to go to someone else! That's when we'll FINALLY get Steel Meaner Streak!

I like your thinking lol

I don't understand why several people say they would not be excited about a DM at CP. I personally love the idea of having so many different types of Coasters at one park, be it what some call "gimmick" or not. To me its a Roller Coaster Enthusiasts dream to have such a variety. That's just my opinion though.

I think anyone would rather wait (especially considering he collection they have right now) and get an RMC Mean Streak.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm hoping the ride has 8 across seating rather than 10. Sheikra to me is much more aesthetically pleasing than Griffon, Griffon's trains just look overly big and awkward.

I agree that the Griffon trains look a little unwieldy (although it's kind of cool to see that huge train turning upside above you when you are standing on the bridge watching it). Although I would prefer bigger trains to increase capacity, I suspect we will see slightly narrower ones to deal with the all the maneuvers it apparently will have after the drop (if the Sandusky Register article was credible).

If it is a coaster, does this raise or lower the possibility of a KI giga in 2017?

That probability is zero. Kings Dominion's getting a coaster in 2017, and Canada's Wonderland is due sometime as well (probably 2018). 2019 is Kings Island's year IMO.

Where have you heard that KD is getting a coaster in 2017?

^It's just assumption at this point, with Shockwave leaving, and KD not having a new coaster in a while, it's only a matter of time.

Shockwave is being retired because of it being way past its prime. CF knows stand-ups are infamous, hence the Mantis transformation and other (rumored) transformations.

Every post-paramount park received a B&M hyper. Which was Kinzel's master plan to bring a hyper to every park due to it being a raging success at CP in 1989. Anyways, every post-paramount park since then has received another large investments coaster-wise. Canada's Wonderland received Behemoth ($22m) in 2008, and Leviathan ($28m) in 2012. Kings Island received Diamondback ($22m) in 2009, and Banshee ($24m) in 2014. Carowinds saw Intimidator ($23m) in 2010, and Fury 325 ($30m) in 2015.

Kings Dominion saw Intimidaor 305 in 2010. And by the look of things, Kings Dominion is pouring most of its resources into expanding their waterpark and are even retiring a roller coaster to do so. Valleyfair is the other CF park that seems to be focusing on water more than rides. Not saying a new coaster is impossible, because it is inevitable. KD doesn't seem to be anywhere on a priority list for one.

Edited by JonnyRCT3

^It's just assumption at this point, with Shockwave leaving, and KD not having a new coaster in a while, it's only a matter of time.

Don't forget CW has an empty spot from their Togo standup as well.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm hoping the ride has 8 across seating rather than 10. Sheikra to me is much more aesthetically pleasing than Griffon, Griffon's trains just look overly big and awkward.

I agree that the Griffon trains look a little unwieldy (although it's kind of cool to see that huge train turning upside above you when you are standing on the bridge watching it). Although I would prefer bigger trains to increase capacity, I suspect we will see slightly narrower ones to deal with the all the maneuvers it apparently will have after the drop (if the Sandusky Register article was credible).

With B&M making faster lifts, I would argue that it might be possible to see dual loading stations and a fast lift. These would help increase the capacity and allow for smaller trains that can do tighter maneuvers.

But CW has gotten Behemoth, WMG, and Leviathan in the same amount of time that KD received I305.

I had the same laughs on the KD tread. You guys like you have ONLY got I305.

1958136867_spoiledkdlol.png.d66ea77ad6090aa70e51379b8f20c5ab.png

Your right, so unfair. How dare CF give your park so little attention lmao

With B&M making faster lifts, I would argue that it might be possible to see dual loading stations and a fast lift. These would help increase the capacity and allow for smaller trains that can do tighter maneuvers.

Dual loading like Manta at SWO? Its a tight turn coming out of the station on the switches, I don't know if the large Dive Trains could make it around.

Dual loading like Manta at SWO? Its a tight turn coming out of the station on the switches, I don't know if the large Dive Trains could make it around.

I'm sure the radius will appropriated for the rolling stock, but I still agree. These trains are wide, not long, so the loading/unloading process shouldn't be too long. I wonder if they'll try a Maverick/TTD style station system? Expect the front is load and the back is unload.

I'm starting to suspect a flyer at this point.

I'm sure the radius will appropriated for the rolling stock, but I still agree. These trains are wide, not long, so the loading/unloading process shouldn't be too long. I wonder if they'll try a Maverick/TTD style station system? Expect the front is load and the back is unload.

I doubt it... That would be cool though.

Conference Call Information

~Wifi will be coming to the 5 largest parks in 2016, Infrastructure will be the main focus of Cedar Fair.

~California's Great America is really impressing Cedar Fair and they will be focusing investments on this park. The are going through a rezoning process to invest capital in this park.

~A virtual reality will be tested on an existing coaster in 2016. This is a test to see if they can make an older coaster better without building a 30 million dollar coaster.

~Highest season pass sales this year ever in history for Cedar Fair along with highest in park spending.

~The "detererating" canadian dollar is negatively impacting business to the north and they expect this to be the case for the remainder of the season. However, The Canadian property is doing very well despite the dollar and the company is taking measure to counteract this

~BBQ & Brew and food trucks has been a major success for the chain,and they are looking to improve them and expand them. As I said before expect to see Brew and BBQ in 2016 at Canada's Wonderland.

~Parks, plural will be announcing their attractions in the weeks to come, but the chain is working on making their parks a place to come have fun and not be all about coasters.

I can't clearly remember, but i THINK Sheikra does this. I could be completely wrong, but I'm fairly certain.

^Sheikra does. It's not like the ones on the flyer, however, it's like TTD's where one train is behind the other.

Oh. That makes sense, I thought It was odd to not use the short trains to their advantage. From all the POVs I've watched, the train always stopped outside the station.

I was referring to a true dual station, like this;

Link

In the case of Oblivion it has the inline dual loading station, so two trains can be unloaded and loaded at once, and then both are dispatched at the same time. The first heads up the lift hill and the second holds just before lift until the track ahead is clear. This allows another two trains to be loading in the station. It's a good set up and can easily be switched to single train loading at quieter times. I presume that most dive coasters operate like this.