TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

These next 15 days may be the most tense days of the year. If its a dive coaster I will be beyond happy, a dark ride, its OK just not something insanely special. Wonder Mountain Guardian is not a people gobbler at all, while a B&M dive coaster may not have a capacity as large as Raptor or Rougarou, im pretty sure it is larger than a dark ride. Actually does anyone have a capacity number for really any dive machine? Just wondering.

Griffon can pull 1400 per hour. But those are 10 across trains. Baron has 6 across cars with 1000 per hour.

So if Cedar Point goes with 8 across cars, that's approx. a 1200 per hour theoretical capacity. Not too worried B&Ms are always people eaters.

Baron 1898 has the two rows of seven formation, and has an hourly theoretical capacity of 1000. Griffon has the three rows of ten formation, and has a theoretical hourly capacity of 1400.

B&M''s always have high capacity so you shouldn't worry about that at all.

Edited by JonnyRCT3

I don't think Cedar Point could make this anymore obvious that they are announcing a coaster, without clearly saying "We're announcing a coaster!", and yet people are still thinking this will not be a coaster?

Look, I REALLY want this to be a coaster too! But I DO NOT get the "obviously it's a coaster, duh!" vibe from anything I've seen yet. Assuming there is a coaster element to the dark ride (Like WMG), even the wall procession could be pointing to it. What do you think sounds more "Historic", and EPIC - grabbing the attention of everybody, not just coaster enthusiasts... "Announcing, Cedar Point's first immersive dark ride and roller coaster experience!" Or... "Announcing the world's highest, fastest, and longest Dive Coaster!" Again, I want this to be a coaster, but I've seen nothing yet to make me certain it will be, and plenty to give me doubts that it will be.

Quote from this article: http://www.latimes.com/travel/themeparks/la-trb-cedar-fair-dark-rides-20150415-story.html

With no Amusement Dark projects currently in the pipeline, it’s unlikely we'll see any new dark rides added at any Cedar Fair parks in 2016 — but that hasn’t stopped Ouimet from planning for 2017 and beyond.

"We have blank spaces and empty boxes at every park," Ouimet said.

I think we're looking at a coaster and no dark ride, for 2016 at least.

"everything will become clear..."

It's a play on the word clear. Follow the clues... once you add the 15 (the amount of days left) and divide by pi, carry the 2, then use those coordinates on a ouija board it spells out "All clear means you're out of here. Sit back, hang on tight and enjoy your flight on Divehawk 223.

^^Not to continue to be the bringer of disappointing (for most, at least) possibilities, but "Historic" doesn't necessarily mean "record breaking." It could be referring to bringing back a part of history - ie. a dark ride, particularly an homage to the Pirate Ride. Honestly, breaking records just doesn't seem like reason enough to say "Historic"...

Having said that, this really is succeeding at amping me up for the announcement, which is, obviously, their intent!

Or bringing back a "coaster dark ride" like Disaster Transport?

... All will be CLEAR.... CP gets DARKRIDE... CW gets...

The "All clear!... That means you're outa here! Enjoy you're ride on Ziz! Canada's first and only Vertical Diving coaster here at Canada's Wonderland!"

"everything will become clear..."

It's a play on the word clear. Follow the clues... once you add the 15 (the amount of days left) and divide by pi, carry the 2, then use those coordinates on a ouija board it spells out "All clear means you're out of here. Sit back, hang on tight and enjoy your flight on Divehawk 223.

I don't think Cedar Point could make this anymore obvious that they are announcing a coaster, without clearly saying "We're announcing a coaster!", and yet people are still thinking this will not be a coaster?

Look, I REALLY want this to be a coaster too! But I DO NOT get the "obviously it's a coaster, duh!" vibe from anything I've seen yet. Assuming there is a coaster element to the dark ride (Like WMG), even the wall procession could be pointing to it. What do you think sounds more "Historic", and EPIC - grabbing the attention of everybody, not just coaster enthusiasts... "Announcing, Cedar Point's first immersive dark ride and roller coaster experience!" Or... "Announcing the world's highest, fastest, and longest Dive Coaster!" Again, I want this to be a coaster, but I've seen nothing yet to make me certain it will be, and plenty to give me doubts that it will be.

Quote from this article: http://www.latimes.com/travel/themeparks/la-trb-cedar-fair-dark-rides-20150415-story.html

With no Amusement Dark projects currently in the pipeline, it’s unlikely we'll see any new dark rides added at any Cedar Fair parks in 2016 — but that hasn’t stopped Ouimet from planning for 2017 and beyond.

"We have blank spaces and empty boxes at every park," Ouimet said.

I think we're looking at a coaster and no dark ride, for 2016 at least.

Fair enough... I just hope this isn't another classic amusement park misdirection!

Assuming that CP doesn't get its "Amusement Dark" ride until 2017 or later (I'd guess 2018, at the latest), does anybody else think that the coliseum building could potentially be in play for the location of the attraction? I know they wouldn't likely want to remove the hardwood floor on the second level from the old dance hall, but do you think it's still a feasible option?

It amazes me how many still believe this will be a dark ride. There are two key indicators saying this is a coaster.

1) Matt Ouimet's interview in which he said there will be no dark rides in 2016.

2) Land clearing/coaster wall. This area is way too big for just a dark ride and is prime territory for a coaster.

If you haven't read the first panel on the teaser, I recommend you do. "This legacy of world class roller coasters continues here." How can you seriously believe this won't be a coaster after reading that?

Sorry, Canada's Wonderland diehards--not a dive coaster.

Edited by Password121

^^Plus if it was a dark ride, why not reuse the Good Times Theater building, or add onto it? It would be quite pointless to tear down a building and build a new one in the same place.

Signs have been pointing all year to a coaster. And there's a 90% chance that will happen at this point.

It amazes me how many still believe this will be a dark ride. There are two key indicators saying this is a coaster.

1) Matt Ouimet's interview in which he said there will be no dark rides in 2016.

2) Land clearing/coaster wall. This area is way too big for just a dark ride and is prime territory for a coaster.

If you haven't read the first panel on the teaser, I recommend you do. "This legacy of world class roller coasters continues here." How can you seriously believe this won't be a coaster after reading that?

I "believe" it will be a dark ride, because that's the easiest way to avoid being disappointed if it's not a major coaster! This way, if it does indeed end up being the coaster, I'll be elated!

Regarding the land clearing, I've always thought that the land being cleared, was actually going to be for both the major coaster, AND the Triotech dark ride. One coming in 2016, and one in 2017. My biggest question is which year for which. I definitely agree that I'd be shocked if a coaster does not reside within the boundaries of that walled-off area at some point before too long!

I have not read the actual panels on the wall, as I haven't been to CP since early in the season. If that's what it says, it could still technically be referring to a ride like WMG, which is still considered a coaster. Just sayin'... I hope you're right, and it IS a coaster.

Wonder Mountains Guardians is considered a coaster...

^^^Yes, it's a coaster and a dark ride. But it was stated that no dark rides are in the pipeline for 2016 for Cedar Fair parks. Therefore, unless the Point plans to build two dark rides, one as a dark ride and one coaster/dark ride combo, then we probably won't see a dark ride next year.

As for "record breaking". If all rumors end up being true, this will break many records and could even break many more. Now that we have seen other dive coasters add inversions outside of the Immelman, this is intriguing.

-Tallest Dive Coaster

-Fastest Dive Coaster

-Longest Dive Coaster

-Longest Drop on a Dive Coaster

-First Dive Coaster with a Vertical Loop (possibly the tallest vertical loop? Depending on momentum and train layout)

-Tallest Rollercoaster to feature inversions

-Most Inversions on a Dive Coaster

Of course this is all spit-balling here, but they announced GateKeeper as a "record breaking scream machine" as well. And it did break many records (many it still holds). Therefore, yeah, this would count as record-breaking (if it indeed is what it is)

Maybe it's just me, but a dive coaster still sounds like such a stupid idea in my opinion. Do we really need a huge steel coaster at Cedar Point? Is that what they're missing? I think Cedar Point needs a GOOD wooden roller coaster from GCI or a Triotech dark ride before this. Cedar Point does not need a new steel coaster until they improve other parts of the park. Sure, I might be in the minority when I say this, but if CP builds a new Dive Coaster, I'd be disappointed. Especially if that's the only park to get a roller coaster, and the smaller parks are passed over AGAIN.

Maybe it's just me, but a dive coaster still sounds like such a stupid idea in my opinion. Do we really need a huge steel coaster at Cedar Point? Is that what they're missing? I think Cedar Point needs a GOOD wooden roller coaster from GCI or a Triotech dark ride before this. Cedar Point does not need a new steel coaster until they improve other parts of the park. Sure, I might be in the minority when I say this, but if CP builds a new Dive Coaster, I'd be disappointed. Especially if that's the only park to get a roller coaster, and the smaller parks are passed over AGAIN.

I fully agree, but Dive Coasters mean high publicity for the park!!