TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

At the park right now and lines are insane. 2+ hours for Maverick, Dragster, Millennium, Raptor, and Gatekeeper. FL+ waits are an hour which is ridiculous. I overheard two conversations about a dive coaster coming and they sounded excited for it. So, while some enthusiasts are not excited, sounds like the GP will be.

At the park right now and lines are insane. 2+ hours for Maverick, Dragster, Millennium, Raptor, and Gatekeeper. FL+ waits are an hour which is ridiculous. I overheard two conversations about a dive coaster coming and they sounded excited for it. So, while some enthusiasts are not excited, sounds like the GP will be.

A dive coaster has always had only a good drop and then been kinda blah

I dunno...I actually think SheiKra is a pretty good ride from start to end.

I rode Sheikra and i remember it being one of my favorite coasters up to this day, great ride and a unique awesome experience. The ride is really smooth and i think it has great forces.

I rode SheiKra and i remember it being one of my favorite coasters up to this day, great ride and a unique awesome experience. The ride is really smooth and i think it has great forces.

I think a good way to describe it is short, but sweet!

Dive Machine wouldn't be my first choice for CP, but if that's what they end up getting, I'll be plenty excited! I've only been on ShieKra, but it was definitely fun!

^^So Robb, is that the info you were alerted to that got us all so excited? We're a bunch of noobs, I suspect!

Haha, no.

But I thought you were a hardy outdoorsman.

I personally think the Dive coasters are B&M 2nd best coaster type, with the Inverts being the best of course. So if Cedar Point is getting another B&M, I'll gladly take a Dive coaster. Then again, what other options does CP have with B&M? ...Flying.

CoasterDynamix Millennium Force Nanocoasters are available in park at Pagoda gift shop for $30. They looked in fairly limited supply although who knows how many are back in the stockroom. I went into many other shops and did not see them available anywhere else. Look forward to assembling this when I get home!

Like I posted earlier, if you can't make it to the park anytime soon, you can easily order them over the phone with Cedar Point.

image.thumb.jpeg.178e59648df3da793683a802746a6327.jpeg

I'm pretty excited about the dive coaster idea myself. The vertical drops on both Sheikra and Griffon are two of the most fun first drops on any coaster that I have ridden to date. The crazy high loops and 2nd drops are also very fun and the entire ride experience is smooth as glass.

And we all know that CP's would be higher, faster and probably have a unique element or two thrown in for good measure. And notice that I said element and not theming!

So I went to the point on Tuesday and dragster broke down while I was in the middle of an hour long line, maverick is a beautiful coaster and they should build more of them, gatekeeper is better in the front than the back, magnum needs.......something, mean streak isn't as rough as anyone says it is, force goes fast, is smooth, and is more reridable than i305, raptor broke on the lift and had people stranded for about 2 hours, rougarou was whatever, and I went on power tower, which was my first drop tower. That was cool. So all in all it was a good day but man does maverick have a terrible capacity.

raptor broke on the lift and had people stranded for about 2 hours

I find this very hard to believe. Usually if a ride breaks down, and it is down for more than 30 minutes... with riders stuck on the ride they will evac the riders off the trains. Also, Raptor... down for 2 hours??? Usually it's down for about 20-40 minutes... Not 2 hours.

So all in all it was a good day but man does maverick have a terrible capacity.

Seriously??? This may be one of the most ignorant things I have ever read. Maverick... with terrible capacity??? Ha. NO!! Just... NO. Maverick has a capacity of 1,200 riders per hour. That is not exactly LOW. For comparison Millennium Force has a capacity of 1,300 riders per hour, and people always rave about how MF has great capacity. 1,200 riders per hour is not "terrible." It may not be the 2,000 riders per hour that Magnum has... But it is by no means "terrible."

So all in all it was a good day but man does maverick have a terrible capacity.

Seriously??? This may be one of the most ignorant things I have ever read. Maverick... with terrible capacity??? Ha. NO!! Just... NO. Maverick has a capacity of 1,200 riders per hour. That is not exactly LOW. For comparison Millennium Force has a capacity of 1,300 riders per hour, and people always rave about how MF has great capacity. 1,200 riders per hour is not "terrible." It may not be the 2,000 riders per hour that Magnum has... But it is by no means "terrible."

Yeah, but Maverick rarely hits that 1,200 rider number, despite the crew's best efforts. The basic problem is, of course, the train size - no matter how quickly dispatched, even with two trains per dispatch. When I was last there, the capacity was closer to 900, which is not great. Millennium can beat 1,300, although the dispatches were very slow when I went there. Although I am not a Cedar Point regular, I do recall that earlier in its life span it seemed to be getting dispatches in the 1:20-ish range, which would put in more in the 1,500 range -- am I mis-remembering?

Because of the relative popularity of Maverick, coupled with a line that does tend to move slower than the people-eating machines of Magnum, Raptor, Gatekeeper, Gemini, and even Millennium Force, I have often felt that Maverick's capacity was relatively poor -- not "terrible," but not particularly good -- when considered in comparison to Cedar Point's other major coasters,other than TTD, of course. I don't think it's ignorant to think that.

Edited by tororific

I was there on Tuesday as well. I can vouch that raptor was down for a LONG time. The train was there for a while (I didn't check my watch though)

In regards to Maverick, it's not low capacity or slow operations that's the problem, it's the sheer amount of people in line for it!

I have to admit, cedar point is an absolute fast pass must! Even with it on a Tuesday the waits were still 30-45 min!

Yeah, but Maverick rarely hits that 1,200 rider number, despite the crew's best efforts. The basic problem is, of course, the train size - no matter how quickly dispatched, even with two trains per dispatch. When I was last there, the capacity was closer to 900, which is not great. Millennium can beat 1,300, although the dispatches were very slow when I went there. Although I am not a Cedar Point regular, I do recall that earlier in its life span it seemed to be getting dispatches in the 1:20-ish range, which would put in more in the 1,500 range -- am I mis-remembering?

Maybe I just don't understand this... But if the crew is doing the best they can, and they are hitting interval with almost all of their dispatches. . . Then why won't Maverick hit 1,200 riders per hour? If they are running the coaster like they are suppose to (and every time I have been there they have been) then why wont the ride get the capacity that it is suppose to get?

Because Cedar Point claims it has a better capacity than it really does. When I worked there, the Maverick crew typically got 900-1,000 riders per hour - which isn't awful, it's just not as good as a lot of the other headliners at the park. In fact, it's the lowest capacity in the park as far as the big coasters go.

Edited by southpuddle

Maybe I just don't understand this... But if the crew is doing the best they can, and they are hitting interval with almost all of their dispatches. . . Then why won't Maverick hit 1,200 riders per hour? If they are running the coaster like they are suppose to (and every time I have been there they have been) then why wont the ride get the capacity that it is suppose to get?

Because no matter how fast the crew is, IF the riders don't cooperate and get into the train and deal with all the loose articles, etc.., there are delays in dispatching a train at the optimal interval. Think of how many times there is a rider who forgot to put the glasses away, the hat wasn't taken off, they can't fit in the harness, they didn't clip the seatbelt (where applicable), etc..... So, it's a herculean effort for most crews to get the perfect dispatch if the riders are fully cooperating -- but the reality is that they are not.

And then there are times when the crew isn't running perfectly....

But in any event, Maverick simply is not a big capacity ride for Cedar Point and in respect to its popularity.

Because Cedar Point claims it has a better capacity than it really does. When I worked there, the Maverick crew typically got 900-1,000 riders per hour.

That's totally consistent with my informal timing of dispatches every time I have been to Cedar Point -- it's a pretty low capacity ride (in the scheme of Cedar Point)

(And the 1,200 per hour capacity figure comes from the manufacturer, I am pretty sure. It's a theoretical possibility that Maverick can hit 1,200 per hour if the following assumptions are all met: (1) the trains are fully loaded at 24 passengers (how often do you see every seat filled?) and (2) a dispatch every 1:10 (give or take).)

Edited by tororific

Because no matter how fast the crew is, IF the riders don't cooperate and get into the train and deal with all the loose articles, etc.., there are delays in dispatching a train at the optimal interval. Think of how many times there is a rider who forgot to put the glasses away, the hat wasn't taken off, they can't fit in the harness, they didn't clip the seatbelt (where applicable), etc..... So, it's a herculean effort for most crews to get the perfect dispatch if the riders are fully cooperating -- but the reality is that they are not.

And then there are times when the crew isn't running perfectly....

But in any event, Maverick simply is not a big capacity ride for Cedar Point and in respect to its popularity.

So if this is the case, then every ride in the park is a low capacity ride. Because all of the coasters in the park have guest who ride them, and per your theory the guest are the reason the capacity is bad. Because every coaster has those times "there is a rider who forgot to put the glasses away, the hat wasn't taken off, they can't fit in the harness, they didn't clip the seatbelt (where applicable)."

Glad to see the last few weeks have had a ton of guests in the park, it seems like Cedar Point hasn't had that enough over the last two years.

The huge number of people in the park is the main reason I like that Cedar Point keeps going with B&M. GateKeeper, Raptor, Rougarou, and hopefully said Dive Coaster have great capacity and reliability!