TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Anybody have any clue how attendance is doing this year?

I understand last year the park experienced a little dip in numbers. It seems as though some of the reasoning behind last year's poor attendance (elongated school year due to harsh winter) holds true to this year as well. I've made it to the park about 7 or 8 times this year, including July 3rd and 4th, and even then the crowds weren't as big as they were in the past few years as far as I could tell. Additionally, this summer has been waterlogged for the most part.

Perhaps somebody who has worked at Cedar Point for a few years could provide some good insight.

Cedar Point is close to MIA and GL, which have both went through expansions these last 2 years. Im guessing thats the reason for the dip in attendance. Thats the sad part of CP being in MIA's bubble area

Back to real life. I have been reading about record precipitation at the point this year, that does not help at all

Cedar Point is close to MIA and GL, which have both went through expansions these last 2 years. Im guessing thats the reason for the dip in attendance. Thats the sad part of CP being in MIA's bubble area

Back to real life. I have been reading about record precipitation at the point this year, that does not help at all

Went to the park on Saturday...

Good day at the park! Crowded though as expected on a Saturday.

Got to the park right at 10 and went right to Gatekeeper. 45 minutes wait. Honestly, this ride is just OK, it hurt my head the those restraints just strap you in there so tight. Next up we did Millennium Force. Waited about an hour and 15. Great ride as usual. Next we did Mine Ride, 15 minutes wait and as usual a good little kiddie coaster. After we went to lunch at Chik-Fil-A and that place as always was amazing. They got some great chicken sandwiches there.

After lunch we rode Shoot the Rapids, 45 minute wait and did not break down once while in line. Was impressed. The ride is OK, but does not deserve the hate it gets. After that we did Skyhawk which was about 15 minutes wait and after walked over to Iron Dragon and did that. Waited about 30. They really need to extend that que area as it overflows on busy days. Next we did Magnum and waited about 30. Awesome ride as usual. Magnum is one of the best coasters in the park for sure. Next we did Top Thrill and waited about an hour. As usual, it delivered the punch. Next we went to Friday's for dinner and sat on the patio. I love the new utilization of the beach and the hotel looks awesome. Good work CP. As for the food at Friday's, it was just meh.

Great day though, besides the crowds!

I believe it would be the rain as every day we've gone there was rain in the forecast at least in the morning. Every time I check CP has been getting rain too. They ended up being beautiful days but the park was pretty empty. More Maverick for me!

I believe it would be the rain as every day we've gone there was rain in the forecast at least in the morning. Every time I check CP has been getting rain too. They ended up being beautiful days but the park was pretty empty. More Maverick for me!

At 4 1/2 hours away, I wouldn't really call MIA and CP close

At 4 1/2 hours away, I wouldn't really call MIA and CP close

Tell that to cedar fair who refuses to give MIA attention being that its in CPs bubble territory

I live 4 and a half hours away from CP and 40 minutes from Kings island. The years we had Platinum Passes we visited Cedar Point more than Kings Island. So yes CP is close at that distance.

I thought I read somewhere that CP gets more guest from Michigan then Ohio

How would they be able to even get that information? License plates?

Im assuming debit/credit card transitions

From where I live, in the middle (East to West) of Michigan, it is just about an hour longer to get to CP, than MiA. Not a great deal of difference. And CP being what it is, I go there far more than I go to MiA.

And yes, CP gets a tremendous number of people from Michigan regularly. Pretty much everybody in the Eastern part of the state, and many in the central, would consider it their "home" park. I know most of the people I've been around my entire life do.

MiA certainly could be big enough and exciting enough to change that, or at least bring better balance to those numbers, but for some reason, I just don't see CF doing that any time soon...

But that wouldnt count the large % that pay cash.

It's called an estimate. Unless there is reason to believe someone from Michigan is significantly more likely (or less likely) to use cash.

Edited by larrygator

But that wouldnt count the large % that pay cash.

It's called an estimate. Unless they is reason to believe someone from Michigan is significantly more likely (or less likely) to use cash.

And what "large %" of people pay cash in 2015? I'd be surprised if more than 10-15% of guests paid cash for tickets. That even sounds high to me...

Like a lot of their other data, I'm sure it is from a sample group that was questioned and polled at the park. This has happened to me a Kings Dominion, Kings Island, Cedar Point, and Carowinds and one of the questions is always 'Where are you from?'.

And also, season pass sales.

Like a lot of their other data, I'm sure it is from a sample group that was questioned and polled at the park. This has happened to me a Kings Dominion, Kings Island, Cedar Point, and Carowinds and one of the questions is always 'Where are you from?'.

And also, season pass sales.

Now there's a good answer.

And what "large %" of people pay cash in 2015? I'd be surprised if more than 10-15% of guests paid cash for tickets. That even sounds high to me...

And I'd say that's a pretty accurate guess. I know I always do and so does most of my family.

I believe this Dive Coaster track. This is clearly lift track too, you can see the chain track, the places for catwalk, and the very steep incline that the lift will have (judged by the support connector). This looks identical to other Dive Coaster track. It even has the same paint style as Fury with the two-tone underbelly. Cedar Fair is the only company who has two-tone B&Ms. This has GOT to be for Cedar Point.

11816975_1518463441761980_592906804147657180_n.jpg?oh=deda7d964cbef31ade52b1c52da1ff31&oe=564771A5

11760155_1518463488428642_4953509415172427787_n.jpg?oh=e0c8e099ede8736ae0eefbb5a13d6656&oe=5653C7B3

Pictures are from Coaster Studios facebook.

The Cleveland metro area has about 2.1 million people in it. The Detroit/Windsor metro area has 5.7 million people in it. Cleveland residents could also go to Kennywood or Waldameer in addition to Cedar Point. Detroit residents really have no alternative for a theme park. From what I've heard going back over a decade, Detroit is the most important market for Cedar Point.

Not to get off topic, but the park was apparently packed today. Supposedly, Millennium Force had a posted 1.5 hour wait with a 45 minute Fast Lane line. I know that the FL line merges with the regular queue at the ramp which is about 15 minutes or so to the station. If this claim is true, they need to either start selling less or move replace Rougarou with Millennium in the FL+ tier.