TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Spent the first of two days at the park today. Overall it was a day! A few notes on the day because it's late. Maverick is now basically perfect with the new restraints. Rougarou is much better as a floorless. Millennium was hauling.

A few questions if anyone happens to know the answers:

1) What are the ops checking for at the back of MF before dispatch?

2) Is the loud "whir" on TTD that lowers in pitch as it launches from a speaker or part of the ride?

Spent the first of two days at the park today. Overall it was a day! A few notes on the day because it's late. Maverick is now basically perfect with the new restraints. Rougarou is much better as a floorless. Millennium was hauling.

2) Is the loud "whir" on TTD that lowers in pitch as it launches from a speaker or part of the ride?

1. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by the question, but my stab in the dark is that they're checking in on the unload station to see if they're ready to advance the empty train.

2. That's probably the launch cable that you're hearing primarily, but there's also a squealing tires sound effect played from speakers at the beginning of the launch.

1. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by the question, but my stab in the dark is that they're checking in on the unload station to see if they're ready to advance the empty train.

That's correct, the person checking seats on the back left side of the train has to wait for the unload station to be ready before we're "all clear"

That is the sound of God and some Intamin goodness.

That sound used to be my text tone on my phone. Not even kidding. I love hearing the whir that it makes when I walk by TTD.

Edited by Koasterking48

^ For YEARS my text tone was "Keep arms down, head back and hold on!"

It was always a great way to remember the awesomeness of Cedar Point and Dragster in every day life!

EDIT: just for fun. Some Tony posts!

Capture.JPG.69a09e3040eed37566c4dd703eef1f0c.JPG

Maybe he can tell us about the World's Largest Pumpkin Patch Valpumpkin soon!

132962578_MantisPUNS.JPG.90614a375e482046513633dcda379320.JPG

This I just thought was hysterical

Edited by SbSteveZ

That is the sound of God and some Intamin goodness.

Or is he talking about the sound effect of a car launching when the train does? Not the idling engine when it sits in the launch bay, the throaty roar you hear when you launch.

^Yes it's a sound effect. It's hard to hear unless you're right next to the speakers, but it's actually the sound of screeching tires plus a revving engine. It's an awesome sound effect that really adds to the ride. Just as much fun to watch as it is to ride!

1) If you mean when the train is in the loading station, and they're looking at the back of the last car, I believe that the sensor displays for the restraints are there. And if all of the lights are on, the restraints are working properly, if not there's an issue. I THINK this might be what you mean.

I always found the sound effects kind of corny, at least the engine idle sound and the tire screeching on take off. But that really deep rumble during the first couple seconds is pretty awesome. I think they could use better/more realistic sound effects though.

Being someone who's grown up around racing, going to the drag strip every weekend, I've always found every part of the teeming badass, cheesy or not.

Got back from the park last week, had a fantastic visit! Some notes:

1) Rougarou is fantastic, Mantis was great but now being a floorless allows this coaster to fully take advantage of the twister portion after the MCBR, very forceful and exceeded my expectations!

2) Gatekeeper also exceeded my expectations! I've heard people talk negatively about it's pacing but I thought it had nice speed and the elements on this are just so big and smooth, I thoroughly enjoyed it!

3) Millie still reigns as my #1 to this day, now 15 years since I rode it back the summer it opened in 2000

4) Only negative portion of this, this was my 4th trip to CP and never have I seen here (or at any park for that matter) so many coasters down in the time frame I was there! When we arrived on site Rougarou, Raptor & Magnum were all closed. Day 2 Magnum had issues all day, Gatekeeper was down until 2, Dragster didn't open until mid-day and Windseeker was closed all day. Day 3 saw Gatekeeper, Wicked Twister, Mean Streak, Windseeker & Rougarou down at different times. I know this happens and coasters aren't perfect every day, but it was pretty crazy how many rides went down each day, something I haven't seen in quite some time, but CP did a great job hammering out each issue and getting the rides up and running! It still remains my coaster playground and can't wait to see what they are bringing in for 2016!

I always found the sound effects kind of corny, at least the engine idle sound and the tire screeching on take off. But that really deep rumble during the first couple seconds is pretty awesome. I think they could use better/more realistic sound effects though.

Being someone who's grown up around racing, going to the drag strip every weekend, I've always found every part of the teeming badass, cheesy or not.

Honestly the cable does that already. I want a ringtone of the cable launching.

I honestly have never thought of it as cheesy. And while we are on the topic, "Gentlemen, start your engines!" On i305 was pretty well done. It sounded genuine and made me more excited each time; not something I'd ever cringe to.

Yeah it's the deep rumble that's super cool. And yeah I would echo thrillbill, downtime this weekend was a lot. Still got everything done, but definitely more than I'm used to. Actually got to watch them fix a brake fin that was malfunctioning right in front of us.

PS: Is the mobile typing on these forums really screwed up for anyone else?

I can't even deal with this statement. Cedar Point builds an amazing, breath taking coaster, with light theming. But the theming that is there is perfect for the ride... down to the sound effects. . . But no... even the sound effects are going to be something someone complains about. Seriously?? I am starting to think that "Coaster enthusiasts" are so Damn jaded they can't enjoy an amazing ride when they are on one with out TRYING to find things to bitch about.

Top Thrill Dragsters sound effects are NOT "corny" they are amazing. Because they help make the amazing ride what it is let me guess.. you think the "Banshee scream" at the top or Banshee ' lift hill is corny too??

The tire screech when the train launches is awesome. It is part of what makes the ride what it is.

Yeah it's the deep rumble that's super cool. And yeah I would echo thrillbill, downtime this weekend was a lot. Still got everything done, but definitely more than I'm used to. Actually got to watch them fix a brake fin that was malfunctioning right in front of us.

PS: Is the mobile typing on these forums really screwed up for anyone else?

We were at the park this weekend and thankfully all the downtime happened while we were at lunch. We booked a VIP Tour because we didn't feel like waiting in line and seriously everything was up and running perfectly all morning. We went on lunch for our required one hour break, and while we were on break TTD, MF, Maverick, Rougarou, Gatekeeper and Raptor broke down. All within the same hour. For some reason during the break down the blue train was removed from the track on TTD, and the yellow train was removed from the track on MF. Not sure if it was just an issue with the train on each if the rides, but later in the evening when we were back on the rides both of the trains were back on the track.

And no... no issues with typing on the mobile site. But maybe that's just me.

Edited by DoinItForTheFame

I can't even deal with this statement. Cedar Point builds an amazing, breath taking coaster, with light theming. But the theming that is there is perfect for the ride... down to the sound effects. . . But no... even the sound effects are going to be something someone complains about. Seriously?? I am starting to think that "Coaster enthusiasts" are so Damn jaded they can't enjoy an amazing ride when they are on one with out TRYING to find things to bitch about.

Top Thrill Dragsters sound effects are NOT "corny" they are amazing. Because they help make the amazing ride what it is let me guess.. you think the "Banshee scream" at the top or Banshee ' lift hill is corny too??

The tire screech when the train launches is awesome. It is part of what makes the ride what it is.

Whoa man, chill. I just meant quality-wise. It could sound a lot more realistic. I love the theming and the fact that sound effects are utilized. They've just been using the same 90's-videogame-sounding effects for a decade.

Got back from the park last week, had a fantastic visit! Some notes:

1) Rougarou is fantastic, Mantis was great but now being a floorless allows this coaster to fully take advantage of the twister portion after the MCBR, very forceful and exceeded my expectations!

2) Gatekeeper also exceeded my expectations! I've heard people talk negatively about it's pacing but I thought it had nice speed and the elements on this are just so big and smooth, I thoroughly enjoyed it!

3) Millie still reigns as my #1 to this day, now 15 years since I rode it back the summer it opened in 2000

Glad you had a great time!

1) I didn't "hate" Mantis, but I wasn't a big fan. As a big fan of B&M Floorless coasters, however, I was quite excited for the makeover, and it was a definite improvement! It's very low on my list of favorite B&M Floorless coasters, but I still enjoyed that nice layout so much more than before.

2) Glad to hear you're a fan of GateKeeper! I don't get all the negativity surrounding that coaster, honestly, as I think it's great, and my third favorite coaster at the park! I think that smoothness is why some people call it forceless (I'm tempted to start a thread sometime ranting about the inanity of calling any major coaster that, but I disgress...), and it is very methodical going through its elements. However, I look at both of those as positives, personally. It's also a beautiful coaster to look at, and the placement of the ride adds to its thrill.

3) Have you been on Fury yet? I was in the same boat as you, with Millie reigning supreme for the past 15 years, in spite of riding many, many other coasters in the interim. However, once I rode Fury, all that changed! Such an amazing coaster! It would have to be, to unseat a phenomenal experience like Millennium Force!

Booked my room for Halloweekends on Saturday. What a pleasant surprise to find single King rooms available. Sure, they're about a hundred more than we paid last year, but they're a hundred or so less than the double Queen rooms. Having ridden Mantis the year it opened and its last year of operation, I'm glad to have the opportunity to ride Rougarou in its inaugural year.