TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I'm going be completely honest when I say when I first saw that render, I thought it was real. Nice job.

I agree! I was super excited!!! Then I realized it wasn't real and I was disappointed. Still looks good none the less!

^ To be honest, B&M Dive Machines have the least amount of head banging of their OTSR collection of coasters so that design wouldn't make much of a difference as far as the smoothness goes. However, I would like to see this design implemented as it would make the dive coaster that much more different than Rougarou next door (still many similarities) and would make the hold on the first drop even more exciting.

Honestly, after riding Griffin a lot last week, I really appreciated not being held from the MCBR. Though the train already came to a complete stop, I still got some good airtime in the back, but only because the train released and regained speed before hitting the edge. It also made the ride feel less monotonous and more "rushed" (read: exciting). Besides, does the second drop's height really effect anyone after leaving the first 200ft+ holding brake?

Question for the creator. I noticed that after the MCBR there is another vertical drop. Is there already or have you considered putting another holding brake on the segment? Could be the world's first double holding brake dive machine.

Hello, I am the creator! I had never even thought of a double holding brake! I probably didn't because I was going for some realism when creating and brainstorming. Now that you mention it, that's a really neat thought! I might change it now!

Also, due to demand from Instagram, I'll be uploading a POV tomorrow and will be sure to post a link to it when I do!

Very impressed with that layout! I would freak if CP did build a similar ride to what you did. Just wondering how would your ride be positioned - station by Blue Streak with the first drop and oversized Immelman next to the Iron Dragon midway for visuals? At the same time I'd think the water splash should be near where spectators can view it like on Griffin.

Very impressed with that layout! I would freak if CP did build a similar ride to what you did. Just wondering how would your ride be positioned - station by Blue Streak with the first drop and oversized Immelman next to the Iron Dragon midway for visuals? At the same time I'd think the water splash should be near where spectators can view it like on Griffin.

If I'm being honest, I've never been to cedar point and only know the very basics of park layout. When I was creating this, I wasn't really thinking of where things would go compared other coasters. It was more of, "CP is building the worlds tallest dive coaster, what could that look like and what elements would it have? Let's try to build it!". So really I have no idea how this would be situated in the bulldozed field.

I just went to Cedar Point for the first time! Here's what I thought of all the coasters (Note: Didn't have a chance to ride Iron Dragon or CCMR):

Millennium Force- 10/10. People said it was overrated so it exceeded my expectations. I got to ride it 3 times (Thanks, Fast Lane). It was best at night with all the bugs

Wicked Twister- 8.5/10. I've been on Possesed, and the backwards twist is much better than the regular spike. Made me a little sick, though. (Trust me, I don't get sick easily)

Raptor- 9/10. VERY intense. Not as good as Alpengeist, though. This coaster also made my dad a little sick.

Blue Streak- 8/10. Fun little coaster. I'm 6' 4" and barely fit in the trains!

Maverick- 10/10. If you've never been on this coaster, believe the hype. It's definitely one of my new favorites. (Same with Millennium Force)

Top Thrill Dragster- 9.5/10. Tied with KingdaKa for me. The lapbars somewhat make up for the lack of airtime hill. The launch was smoother, though.

Magnum- 8/10. OW. This was worse than I expected. The airtime hills were good, but hurt my legs. My brother hated this coaster.

Mean Streak- 6.5/10. MORE OW. I could still enjoy this ride somewhat. This was partly because I was laughing at my brother yelling awful things.

Corkscrew- 8/10. Kinda painful, but still fun.

Rougarou- 9.5/19. Rode this twice. Sat in the front row at sunset. Needless to say it was awesome.

Gatekeeper- 10/10. I had heard this ride was tame. Boy was I in for a shock. My brother and I sat in the back row on both sides. Maybe it was just because I was in the back, but you get whipped through those elements. Beats a Wild Eagle for sure.

Gemini- 8/10. WAY better than I expected. This guy in the other train high fived me twice

All in all. I LOVED Cedar Point. My top five is...

5. Raptor

4. Rougarou

3. TTD

2. Gatekeeper

1. Millennium Force/Maverick

P.S.- Feel free to tell me how the rides I missed are.

First off, props to the creator of the Valravn layout! It does look great (color aside - sorry, couldn't resist!), and would be an excellent addition to CP. I do fear, however, that you may have spoiled us for the actual coaster when it's announced! (Not to mention, we are all still making a big assumption that the 2016 ride WILL actually be a Dive Coaster, and not a dark ride/coaster hybrid...)

Millennium Force- 10/10. People said it was overrated so it exceeded my expectations. I got to ride it 3 times (Thanks, Fast Lane). It was best at night with all the bugs

Blue Streak- 8/10. Fun little coaster. I'm 6' 4" and barely fit in the trains!

Maverick- 10/10. If you've never been on this coaster, believe the hype. It's definitely one of my new favorites. (Same with Millennium Force)

Magnum- 8/10. OW. This was worse than I expected. The airtime hills were good, but hurt my legs. My brother hated this coaster.

Gatekeeper- 10/10. I had heard this ride was tame. Boy was I in for a shock. My brother and I sat in the back row on both sides. Maybe it was just because I was in the back, but you get whipped through those elements. Beats a Wild Eagle for sure.

P.S.- Feel free to tell me how the rides I missed are.

When it comes to CP, I've noticed enthusiasts tend to blow things out of proportion one way or the other a lot of times. I think your opinions of MF, Magnum, and GateKeeper are representative of that.

MF is a mindblowing, amazing coaster, that rides just as awesome now, as it did when it debuted 15 years ago! Every non-enthusiast I've ever ridden it with comes off with that opinion of it. Why it gets de-valued in many enthusiast circles is beyond me, but it is what it is.

GateKeeper as well is often misconstrued as forceless, which I can understand given how smooth and methodical it is. Still, it's a great coaster, really fun, and like you, my favorite coaster at CP behind MF and Maverick!

Magnum is an example of the opposite. Enthusiasts tend to love it FOR its violent ejector air, while non-enthusiasts I've been on it with, come away with either negative impressions (like your brother), or just "Yeah, that was a really good coaster, but not great", like myself, and apparently you.

Maverick is as you say it is! The exception to my first comment above. Pretty much everybody, enthusiasts and non-enthusiasts alike, can agree that Maverick is a fantastic, and supremely fun coaster! Cedar Point really outdid themselves with the creation of this gem!

Also, YES to Blue Streak! That old, little coaster, seems to be MORE fun every time I ride it. A classic, great, out and back wooden coaster!

Regarding the coasters you missed, you didn't miss much... They were both my favorite coaster at the park at one point, but that point was back in the 80's, when I wasn't even double digits in age yet. My kids today like them, but that's essentially what they are. Bigger "kiddie coasters", that make for fun family riding when a kid is getting acclimated to bigger coasters. I wouldn't lose sleep over missing them! (Especially since you are 6'4" - you would have been VERY uncomfortable in their small trains! I'm 5'9", and find CCMR uncomfortable!)

Glad you had a great time, and could finally make it out to this great park!

VALRAVN POV and Trailer!!!

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Let me know what you think, if you like it, please share it! Also, this is my first coaster in NL2, so please don't criticize me too much for track irregularities and such!

Great video. I'd be careful about using the cedar point logo, however. Fantastic trailer. A+++ would watch again

Thanks! As long as I'm not using the video to get money (ads/monetization) it is fine to use any logo or copyrighted material as long as credit is given. The more you know!