TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

^ I wouldn't want to see them ditch height or length. Think of how much better they've gotten at conversions since The New Texas Giant! I bet they could add some crazy inversions and stalls onto the Mean Streak Layout!

Yeah, but if you take away some length and height after the first drop...you get more airrtime and a more intense ride overall. If the ride is too long, then it'll will start to meander due to loss of momentum.

May I cite some of the longest coasters in the world (Voyage, MF, The Beast, Steel Dragon 2000, Steel Force, Black Mamba) as examples against your argument.

^^I wonder if RMC would be willing to use topper track on a transformation? That way Cedar Point would have a great wooden coaster for the price of a hybrid transformation.

You mean like RMC just did on Timber Wolf?

GCI worked on Timber Wolf, from what I've heard. And they didn't actually change the layout, they are just re-tracking it.

I believe that Firechaser meant do an Iron Horse conversion, but instead of using I-box track, use topper track.

I'm sure that RMC would do that if a park wanted them to, I just don't think that a park would choose to do that.

Yea that is what I meant, It would be interesting if they did do it though.

^ I wouldn't want to see them ditch height or length. Think of how much better they've gotten at conversions since The New Texas Giant! I bet they could add some crazy inversions and stalls onto the Mean Streak Layout!

Yeah, but if you take away some length and height after the first drop...you get more airrtime and a more intense ride overall. If the ride is too long, then it'll will start to meander due to loss of momentum.

May I cite some of the longest coasters in the world (Voyage, MF, The Beast, Steel Dragon 2000, Steel Force, Black Mamba) as examples against your argument.

Well the Beast has two lift hills, so we'll go ahead and eliminate that off the top. MF and Steel Dragon 2000 are Gigas so of course they maintain speed throughout a long track length because they are over 300ft tall and reaach 90+ mph. And while I haven't ridden Steel Force or Mamba, I don't hear many people talking about them as being intense from start to finish. They're also both over 200ft tall, so there is no comparison there against a 160ft tall wooden coaster with the same track length.

The Voyage I'll give you as far as maintaining speed over a lengthy track, but I'll also note that there is a 50ft discrepancy between the highest part of the ride (the first drop) and the next highest point (the 2nd hill) which supports my argument of RMC lowering the structure of Mean Streak after the first drop.

At the end of the day, RMC has shortened the track length of Colossus, Rattler, Texas Giant, and Cyclone and they've all gotten great reviews. So I stand by my argument of shortening Mean Streak for the optimum result.

Edited by Superbatboy

The Voyage I'll give you as far as maintaining speed over a lengthy track, but I'll also note that there is a 50ft discrepancy between the highest part of the ride (the first drop) and the next highest point (the 2nd hill) which supports my argument of RMC lowering the structure of Mean Streak after the first drop.

At the end of the day, RMC has shortened the track length of Colossus, Rattler, Texas Giant, and Cyclone and they've all gotten great reviews. So I stand by my argument of shortening Mean Streak for the optimum result.

Well I read the original post wrong. I thought you meant lowering the height of the main drop, not the structure after the drop. It makes more sense to me now.

I hope that whatever they do to Mean Streak, they keep the aesthetic quality of the ride. Whether the ride is good or bad, it is visually stunning. Truly one of the most beautiful wooden roller coasters I've ever seen.

^My thoughts exactly, I love watching it. I will welcome RMC no matter how it looks, but if they can keep the aesthetic, I will be ecstatic.

Am I alone here, or does anyone else love the old-school Dinn Corp. woodies. I just really love how they're a little rougher than most, but often have strange designs (Mean Streak and those high turns). Same goes for CCI, relatively tame and occasionally boring layouts, but the nostalgia!

I hope that whatever they do to Mean Streak, they keep the aesthetic quality of the ride. Whether the ride is good or bad, it is visually stunning. Truly one of the most beautiful wooden roller coasters I've ever seen.

I would personally like to see them get rid of the lift hill supports, and do a truss style support system like they did with Goliath. That would really open up views to the water like the park did when they got rid of Disaster transport and put in Gatekeeper.

Reasoning behind this, in a documentary I recently watched "From Dreams To Screams" about Gatekeeper they talked about opening up the views of the beach, and water (Granted Mean Streak is not near the beach) It would still be nice to see them use a truss style support system to open up the views to the water. One of the best parts of Cedar Point is the location, and Mean Streak really obstructs the views of the water.

While a great idea, you don't really get that great of a view of the lake. You do have Peninsula Drive right there leading to Lighthouse Landing, Soak City, and Breakers and considering where the lift hill is located it's not going to give you a spectacular view like what Gatekeeper has done at the front of the park.

I would personally like to see them get rid of the lift hill supports, and do a truss style support system like they did with Goliath. That would really open up views to the water like the park did when they got rid of Disaster transport and put in Gatekeeper.

Reasoning behind this, in a documentary I recently watched "From Dreams To Screams" about Gatekeeper they talked about opening up the views of the beach, and water (Granted Mean Streak is not near the beach) It would still be nice to see them use a truss style support system to open up the views to the water. One of the best parts of Cedar Point is the location, and Mean Streak really obstructs the views of the water.

I could see this happening, but I kindly disagree with you and also with the "Dreams to Screams" commentary about visually opening up the park. The lake is a gorgeous contour for the peninsula, but there's been so much shifting of the in-park environment in order to make for better sight-lines that I believe areas of the park have have lost their charm and sense of immersion. More often now, I notice in these open areas that my attention gets drawn not to the lovely lake, but to the sprawling pavement, sea of trash cans, and empty spaces in the midways. Coasters are looking more exposed. Iron Dragon's lagoon woods have largely vanished...Millennium island used to be a secluded area that was fun & dark during night rides. The trees that have been removed over the years for rides are enough of a sacrifice; further deliberate attempts on top of that to turn the park into an open lot just doesn't make sense to me.

Disney and Universal create excellent environmental immersion. Dense cities, too, offer blocks that act as vibrant underbrush to complement the business & residential skyscrapers. While I'm not suggesting that Disney-style theming is appropriate for Cedar Point, the Frontier Trail and back area of the park near Mean Streak have managed to keep a sense of in-park immersion, and I pray that that doesn't change. I don't want everything to just be a view of Perimeter Road, parking lots, the on-site properties, and behind-the-scenes maintenance areas.

No need to change that lift hill. Ridiculous idea

The ride is beautiful including the lift hill. Just need a little RMC love and it will be a great ride.

There is no need, but still something that they could do. Just to make it more unique, and interesting looking.

Also, how is the construction site for the 1,500 ft tall 9,000 ft long, 78 inversion Aquatrax dive machine coming along?

Edited by DoinItForTheFame

^I agree 100%. The area around Gatekeeper offers views of the lake, but it's also flat and empty and boring.

I think you need to take a look at what it was before. It used to be solid concrete with a flat wall. Now it's got some grass and planters an amazing view of the lake, more shade, more tables and more buildings. What do you expect? The whole island is naturally flat.

IMO that kills the wooden coaster feeling entirely. I have a large distaste for Goliath's lift hill. Paired with topper track, I sometimes forget that it is a wooden coaster.

I'm not a fan of that lift either but it's not like RMC only does that. Outlaw run looks perfectly "woodyish" except for one or two bits of steel in the inversions.

^ True, and I think it's fine for a ground-up new project, but for a conversion coaster, it's nice to change as little of the structure as possible. As an avid hater of Mean Streak, I think it's impossible to deny it's aesthetic beauty, something I think should be preserved in a conversion. If they leveled the ride, I'd prefer to see it replaced with a good wooden coaster like the one posted a few pages back, but a true woodie none the less. If they convert it, I'd love to see it end up with as much original structure as possible!

Ok, first timer to the park next week...

I know the "post 5pm no front row due to may flies" rule: does that count for Power Tower as well? Both up and down?

Thanks!!

Yes, make sure you sit in the 2nd or 3rd row of Power Tower.

Seriously though ride Millennium Force in the front row at night. Don't miss out on that over some dumb mayflies. Honestly... I have no issue riding the front of anything even at night but as a general rule they seem to love light so rides that are well lit throughout the course like Dragster and Gatekeeper seem to have more of them while on most other coasters they aren't so bad. And on Power Tower you never more forward so they're a non issue. Sorry for the sarcastic comment before lol.