TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Sometimes I feel ashamed of some of the other folks involved in my enthusiastic hobby!

Is it really that serious? Not everyone is going to like what CP is doing and they don't have to. Everyone has an opinion and that's what makes discussions interesting. If everyone was in agreement with everything, it'd be really boring.

being a 'Rougarou with a more intimidating drop and wider trains'...

The floorless design is just an innovative touch on the standard sit down style of coaster. Dozens of parks have plenty of sit down coasters, so I honestly don't understand how this is an issue at all. Maverick and Corkscrew are both sit-down style looping coasters, however they both have unique characteristics that set them apart enough to diversify CP's lineup. And the same can be said with a Dive Coaster.

What makes this style of coaster unique is the dive experience combined with the unique & compact layouts. The angular velocity enhances this experience even further, probably even more so than the Wing Coasters depending on the seating style.

Edited by JonnyRCT3

Sometimes I feel ashamed of some of the other folks involved in my enthusiastic hobby!

Is it really that serious? Not everyone is going to like what CP is doing and they don't have to. Everyone has an opinion and that's what makes discussions interesting. If everyone was in agreement with everything, it'd be really boring.

I second this! People don't need to bow down and praise Cedar Point if they're not entirely onboard with what the park is doing. Just because some people believe Cedar Point is "hands down the best park for coasters," doesn't mean everyone thinks that way. And that's okay.

Personally, as someone who finds most B&Ms to be lackluster (especially the more modern ones, save maybe Fury 325), I'm not going to get out my mat and bow down in prayer in front of the Cedar Point front entrance over this addition. Does that make me jaded? Sure, call me, and the others who share my opinion, jaded. But we're paying good money to enter these places and to ride these things, and if they add a coaster that I, or others, are not really *ecstatic* about, my opinion is still valid.

And so is yours, Texascoaster89.

That's the beauty of the world. We're all different.

Although I was totally for the Rougarou conversion, it makes me wonder why they went floorless on that only a season before the proposed dive coaster. I'm assuming the dive coaster will be floorless and with Rougarou opening up literally right across from the new coaster's site, it makes the 2016 attraction less exciting/innovating in my opinion.

With that said and with B&M playing around with restraints, I wonder if we will see something never seen before on a dive coaster train? Because if not, this ride is going to have to be very different from Griffon and Sheikra's layouts to stand out from just being a 'Rougarou with a more intimidating drop and wider trains'...

Dive coasters are plenty different from floorless. Saying two coasters are similar just because of the car type is like saying two houses are the same because they have the same number of rooms. Everything Cedar Point does is original, so you can count on the layout being one of a kind.

This debate is so stupid. The park has Wicked Twister and Raptor, both inverted coasters, and no problem there. Look the park isn't run by clueless idiots so just have some faith in them making a smart decision.

I for one didn't think Cedar Point didn't need a flyer. I Rode a real Flyer back in May at sea world and i would be happy with Cedar point getting one. I have been on both Drop Coasters they are a lot of fun. The holding break is fun I lol every time when people Start to freak Out. I'm not wanting one since i'm kinda a Intamin Fan Boy. But a Drop coster would be super fun with cedar points touch on it. If you drive to the back lot. you really get a idea of how much spot is really been open up.

While Dive Machines are great coasters, it just wouldn't give me that "WOW" factor. They're fun rides, don't get me wrong but they just don't have that "OMFG" after getting off feeling. An RMC coming to Cedar Point would have that or another Intamin.

Of course I'm perfectly okay with a Dive Machine, it'll be a fun ride to have at the park for years to come. But there is always this hidden hope it'll be something more for 2016...

A 252 foot record breaking DIVE MACHINE isn't enough for one year??? This is aimed directly at you but this whole discussion is eye rolling because even how is a surely unique and awesome dive machine barely enough or not enough for one year. Especially since you have just gotten 1.5 coasters in the last three years. Not just the GP but i'm sure 99% of coaster enthusiasts would be more than satisfied with this. I know this is CP but this is still pretty ridiculous.

I have my opinion and so do you. Did I say I didn't want a Dive Machine? Did I say I hated Dive Machines? I've been on Griffon and it was a great ride. What I'm saying is that it doesn't have the factor of "I can't wait to come back to ride this" like say Maverick or I305 does.

And I agree, most people and the GP would be satisfied with this. I would be as well, I think you really misread what I wrote. What I was trying to say was that I would love for CP to do something more than a Dive Machine. I am allowed to not completely love an addition the park makes. Just like you have your opinion of being okay with CP to get a Dive Machine, I as well have my opinion.

My opinion: I'm okay with Dive Machines I would just prefer Cedar Point get something different. That is all.

Yes it can be. You must understand that "we" as in "us enthusiasts" make up about 1% of the general public of paying customers. We're also less likely to spend tons of money because we know the tricks and how to plan a day perfectly to enjoy the attractions. When you hear the horror stories of CoasterMania, or West Coast Bash, or any other events at how rude the people will act towards employees and park managers who are doing something they don't have to do, yes it's frustrating!

With that being said, what I stated goes for any park, not just Cedar Point. We very rarely will get what we all will agree on as a "great coaster". Meaning most complaints I ever see about new rides are it's force-less, it's not fast enough, it's not jerky enough. Stuff that the GP typically doesn't like. I visited King's Dominion for the first time this past Saturday because I'd never ridden I-305. I thought it was great and enjoyed it. I still like Millennium Force more, this ride was supposed to rake in the crowds, on a busy Saturday afternoon I waited 10 minutes for front seat and no wait for any other seat. Being from so far away I asked what gives? Everyone said the same thing, it's a one and done because of the forces and Maverick style twisty's. We can all handle it and ride all day for the most part, but the majority of the 99% can't.

So therefore, will I'm not a liberal and love everyone's opinion, generally these opinions aren't opinions, they are just general moaning and bellyaching. An opinion about a roller coaster isn't the typical "it's force-less" and so on and so forth, we all know what you're gonna say. The only different opinion that's been stated in this particular conversation is the fact CP has rides similar, but then someone else addressed this with Wicked Twister and Raptor. It's just a different trick even if it's one trick pony, and it's a new pony that CP will make millions on the 99%...not the 1%. I've ran into way too many entitled "enthusiasts" and I only hope for the opinions to remain opinions, not bitching. So if you choose to not go and spend money to ride it because you think it won't be that good, then that's fine! I just think it's then silly to call yourself an "enthusiast" as enthusiasts are supposed to enjoy the hobby of roller coasters and thrill rides. It likely will be another CP style record breaker and all that's here is mostly negativity. That's where my point came from.

Completely unrelated but I believe Iron Dragon may have snapped a lift chain today. I walked by the ride in the early am and saw a full train stopped a little ways up the first lift and an Op walked up and talked to the guests. I assumed it was because someone had a selfie stick or something but when I came back later the (now empty) train was in the same place with the chain bunched up at the bottom of the lift disconnected. So yeah as I imagine CP is probably prepared for this even but as arrow isn't alive anymore wouldn't a new lift chain be hard to come by, especially for a suspended coaster? I took a few pics on my phone but i dont know how to upload them.

So yeah as I imagine CP is probably prepared for this even but as arrow isn't alive anymore wouldn't a new lift chain be hard to come by, especially for a suspended coaster? I took a few pics on my phone but i dont know how to upload them.

I believe that S&S makes Arrow parts.

Yes it can be. You must understand that "we" as in "us enthusiasts" make up about 1% of the general public of paying customers. We're also less likely to spend tons of money because we know the tricks and how to plan a day perfectly to enjoy the attractions. When you hear the horror stories of CoasterMania, or West Coast Bash, or any other events at how rude the people will act towards employees and park managers who are doing something they don't have to do, yes it's frustrating!

With that being said, what I stated goes for any park, not just Cedar Point. We very rarely will get what we all will agree on as a "great coaster". Meaning most complaints I ever see about new rides are it's force-less, it's not fast enough, it's not jerky enough. Stuff that the GP typically doesn't like. I visited King's Dominion for the first time this past Saturday because I'd never ridden I-305. I thought it was great and enjoyed it. I still like Millennium Force more, this ride was supposed to rake in the crowds, on a busy Saturday afternoon I waited 10 minutes for front seat and no wait for any other seat. Being from so far away I asked what gives? Everyone said the same thing, it's a one and done because of the forces and Maverick style twisty's. We can all handle it and ride all day for the most part, but the majority of the 99% can't.

So therefore, will I'm not a liberal and love everyone's opinion, generally these opinions aren't opinions, they are just general moaning and bellyaching. An opinion about a roller coaster isn't the typical "it's force-less" and so on and so forth, we all know what you're gonna say. The only different opinion that's been stated in this particular conversation is the fact CP has rides similar, but then someone else addressed this with Wicked Twister and Raptor. It's just a different trick even if it's one trick pony, and it's a new pony that CP will make millions on the 99%...not the 1%. I've ran into way too many entitled "enthusiasts" and I only hope for the opinions to remain opinions, not bitching. So if you choose to not go and spend money to ride it because you think it won't be that good, then that's fine! I just think it's then silly to call yourself an "enthusiast" as enthusiasts are supposed to enjoy the hobby of roller coasters and thrill rides. It likely will be another CP style record breaker and all that's here is mostly negativity. Thahere my point came from.

This is called an ad hominem attack. (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem). You disagree with myself and a few others about the new ride, but instead of simply arguing why you think it's a good addition to the park, you conflate our negative opinions with the kind of asshole behavior you see at enthusiast events and declare us all to be "entitled". In reality you've never met me and don't know anything about my general attitude or behavior, and of course my opinion is just that, an opinion, like any other. Turning my opinion into "moaning and bellyaching" is an attack on my character, which is uncalled for and not constructive to the conversation.

I love Cedar Point. I love dive coasters. I just happen to love other coasters more. It's all good! It's all love, man.

But seriously, how can you visit so many different parks and NOT have an opinion on what would be a good addition, versus what would be an even better addition? Do you really just go from park to park never thinking about what you like, and what you'd like to see more of, versus what you don't like as well? Sounds awfully boring.

Anyone know why Top Thrill is down? Didnt look like anyone was even working on it.
Was it down for wind?? I looked on the webcams earlier, and it seemed to be a bit of a windy day. If so this would explain why it didn't look like anyone was working on it. Because they wouldn't have been if it were just down for wind.

Completely unrelated but I believe Iron Dragon may have snapped a lift chain today. I walked by the ride in the early am and saw a full train stopped a little ways up the first lift and an Op walked up and talked to the guests. I assumed it was because someone had a selfie stick or something but when I came back later the (now empty) train was in the same place with the chain bunched up at the bottom of the lift disconnected. So yeah as I imagine CP is probably prepared for this even but as arrow isn't alive anymore wouldn't a new lift chain be hard to come by, especially for a suspended coaster? I took a few pics on my phone but i dont know how to upload them.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes them to install the new chain, seeing as how Goliath at Magic Mountain has been down for 3 months now following a chain snap on a coaster almost a decade and a half newer. I also wonder if there will be any obligatory lift hill "not up to code" delays?

The race is on!

There are definitely ways to spice up these 'boring' coasters. Imagine a dive machine that went underground / into a tunnel for a while... maybe even a high speed turn thrown in where it is completely dark. Or what if it went from one huge hill with holding break directly into another with a holding brake, followed by some airtime hills which we have not seen on a dive coaster. Not saying any of this will happen, but how would that not be exciting? Nobody said the layouts have to be like the others.

I love the different perspectives, thoughts and opinions on the board, it just builds anticipation for what ever they build weather I like it or not and regardless of if their new attraction is geared towards family or the roller coaster enthusiast. We all should remember to:

1. Be civil- it is just a roller coaster

2. Don't take things to serious - its just a roller coaster

My heart says it will be a Dive Machine or some B&M which is a strong addition on all fronts. They tend to be smooth, intense, beautifully layed out coasters with the highest capacity trains in the business. However the coaster enthusiast in me would love if they spent 35 million and just built the 500ft tall coaster just to be the first to do it with intense curves like Maverick mixed with Magnum XL airtime hills. I don't know their numbers or demographics they are aiming for so it might not be a mart business decision or get the best return on investment for the park.

The more I think about it the less I see a dive machine coming. I mean these days theres no reason a newspaper would be able to get a hold of that memo accidentally. It was purposely leaked to them to generate some buzz. Then the park did come out and straight up confirm it wouldn't be a dive machine. Of course they could be lying but I don't remember the park ever doing that in the past. Besides, the price listed was still way too low for the stats it would have, discount or not.