TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Ouch, this dude found out what happens when you get your leg caught in an air gate. I wonder how this happened (too many beers)? What would possess someone to try and squeeze through a gate?

http://www.wkyc.com/story/news/local/northeast-ohio/2015/06/22/cedar-point-raptor-guest-injured-squeezing-through-closing-gate/29116863/

Edited by firewalk13

^ As the article stated Cedar Point said he was trying to squeeze through an already closing air gate.

Let this be a lesson to everyone as to why you should never try to squeeze through an air gate that has started to close... At any park. Not just Cedar Point.

With that being said, hopefully his leg heals soon and he can get back to enjoy theme parks.

If my memory serves me correctly, Cedar Fair sold some property that already covers the majority of the costs towards the Hotel Breaker's renovation. Cedar Point invested $48,000,000 in the year 2000, $25,000,000 was for Millennium Force respectively. These types of investments are common in companies with large cash flows.

It was a figure of speech, meant to not be answered, but thanks, I'm well aware of when Maverick was built. I was standing there watching them test with the heartline roll. I've also been on I305 and don't really consider them the same. They have similar elements, but are apples and oranges.

On the second bit, you're missing my point. The fanboys think that the only capital investments at Cedar Point are roller coasters and thrill rides, and don't care about anything else. The point was, just because we don't see a new record-breaking coaster pop up every year, doesn't mean there isn't cash flow and capital investments being made elsewhere on the property. It would be a terrible business model to spend that much renovating the Breakers in one year, PLUS add everything the fanboys want.

I find it funny that enthusiasts always complain that parks only build "gimmicky" rides, and then a park finally may be putting in a ride that doesn't focus on breaking height/speed records and everybody complains. Seriously, stop complaining about a new coaster when there are plenty of parks in real need of one.

Dive coasters are the very definition of a gimmicky ride. That's the whole problem. The drop is the ride, basically. Everything else is superfluous. It's not the kind of real substantial ride with multiple "wow" moments that will become a classic.

And yes, I have ridden Griffon. It's a fine ride. Smooth, and the first drop is fun. And I'll probably enjoy the new ride more than I enjoyed Gatekeeper (not that that's saying much). My only point is that this being Cedar Point, they really could do better. They need a great wooden coaster. A flying coaster would be more unique than a dive coaster, although I'm not going to wish for that because I hate B&M flying coasters. (Except, wait, didn't they build one in China recently that looks amazing? Dammit, why couldn't CP order one of those?)

EDIT: This. This is exactly what they should've built. I wouldn't even mind that it's a clone.

They need a great wooden coaster.

How do we know they are not already working with RMC on a Mean Streak makeover? Only time will tell, but don't rule out a great wooden coaster yet. I'm sure they have it in the works already for a future installment.

Honestly look at what CP's been doing in the past few years. If somethings not perfect their fixing it. Its stupid to think that nothing will happen to Mean Streak. At this point its more of a question of when and what then if. Either itll be torn down, RMC'd, or get a major retrack/reprofile in the next few years. No question about it in my opinion.

It would be awesome to see RMC redo Mean Streak, the only problem is they STILL wouldn't have an awesome wooden coaster. Iron horse coasters are steel. For me it would be even more awesome to see the Gravity Group get into the renovation game and completely change Mean Streak's layout. Make it faster and lower to the ground, add some heavy laterals, and (most importantly) keep it a traditionally tracked wooden coaster. Competition got them into building inversions, so I would say anything is possible.

CEDAR POINT TR:

I visited Cedar Point this past Friday and Saturday..... decided to take advantage of the Fast Pass Plus system as it is unlikely I will be returning anytime soon. Although the lines were not as long as I had anticipated, I definitely enjoyed being able to skip the lines, especially on Maverick, my new favorite roller coaster. My home park is Six Flags, a nice park with some thrilling coasters, but Cedar Point simply blows it out of the water. They had smoothest ride operations I had ever seen, wonderful live entertainment wherever you went, and more cleanliness than the Cleanest Theme Park in the World. And I haven't even gotten to the rides yet. Here are my reviews ranked in order of appreciation:

Maverick: 3 rides- I had heard lots of positive feedback about this ride, and I can see why. Right from the lift hill launch until the final airtime hill I was hooked. Combined with the ability to ride it 3 times in less than half an hour, I give this ride a solid 10/10.

Millennium Force: 2 rides- I did not find anything exceptional about Millennium Force, but then again I didn't find anything bad about it too. Great airtime in the back and some magnificent views of the park. 10/10

Magnum XL-200: 5 rides- I could hardly believe this ride had less than a 10 minute wait. Awesome airtime, especially on the second half. If this was at SFGAm it would easily top Raging Bull. 10/10

Top Thrill Dragster: 1 ride- I could only bring myself to ride this once- The sheer size of it is both amazing and terrifying. When I did ride it though, it was an adrenaline rush from start to finish. 10/10

Raptor: 3 rides- Nice, forceful B%M Invert. My first Cobra Roll was a bit of a letdown though... 9/10

GateKeeper: 2 rides- Really fun, fast, and otherwise typical wing coaster. cool keyhole inversions over the front gate. Also quite photogenic 9/10

Blue Streak: 6 rides- Though I got off to a bad start with this ride, I rode it some more and experienced some serious airtime, especially for a small roller coaster like that. Truly a classic 9/10

Rougarou: 2 rides- I also did not like this roller coaster at first, as I was really thrown around the first time. When I got back on for a second time, though, I managed to choose the right seat as all of the roughness went away and was replaced by airtime and some nice forces. Still hard to imagine as a stand up roller coaster though... 8/10. On a side note, I couldn't believe that Rougarou was a walk-on on a Saturday, even if it was June.

Gemini: 10 rides- Nice racing ride with some nice drops, especially in the back. I always seemed to choose the wrong side 8/10

Iron Dragon: 2 rides- Small, slow, but a nice break from adrenaline pumping rides like TTD or Maverick. 7/10

Wicked Twister: 1 ride- Rather bumpy, but exciting launch. 7/10

Corkscrew: 2 rides- Surprising drop and airtime hill, but the rest was jarring and painful. 6/10

Mean Streak: 3 rides- This was a quite boring ride. I found the first drop sort of thrilling but the rest was just twists and turns. There were several points in the second half of the ride where airtime hills would have been perfect but Cedar Point choose to instead put gentle drops leaving you unsatisfied. Unsatisfying is a good way to describe Mean Streak 4/10. I would actually be interested to see what Mean streak might look like as an RMC.

Alas, I did not get the kiddie credits However, I did ride some of the thrill rides there, my favorite being the Power Tower, more specifically the Shot Side. Windseeker would have given me breathtaking views of Cedar Point and Lake Erie had I not been distracted by, well, all the wind. A bit more blustery than I expected, even for a ride who's very name is Windseeker.

As for the empty plot.... I could see them taking out either the dormitories or the Cadillac Cars and that would give enough space for a coaster. The plot just seems too large for a dark ride, unless Cedar Point is planning multiple rides for next year. But I doubt that. I'm quite sure that whatever they get next year, it will be a roller coaster.

Guys, if someone is at the point where a dive machine is too gimmicky and not interesting enough for them in the hobby, you're not going to change their minds. It's OK. They can have opinions and so can you. Personally, I'm pretty stoked about a giant new coaster next year that will work, have a line that moves, and not hurt. If you need some solace about this, you can be sure a Six Flags park or two will build something a little more "innovative" that'll push 500 people an hour in the ones that it works (which will be 60-70% of them) after opening in late June/early July.

For me it would be even more awesome to see the Gravity Group get into the renovation game and completely change Mean Streak's layout. Make it faster and lower to the ground, add some heavy laterals, and (most importantly) keep it a traditionally tracked wooden coaster. Competition got them into building inversions, so I would say anything is possible.

Haha I've said the same thing for the past few years. Even though RMC's stuff is really awesome, seeing what Gravity Group could do with a layout like that would be pretty interesting, too. They would probably turn it into something really similar to the Cú Chulainn Coaster in Ireland but bigger and even more speedy.

A 252 foot record breaking DIVE MACHINE isn't enough for one year???

223 foot DIve Machine.

To quote the Sandusky Register article that leaked the proposed Dive Coaster.

"The height of the lift in the proposal is about 223 feet above ground level. The length of the track of about 3,625 feet, according to the memo. The proposed Dive Coaster has a maximum speed of about 80 mph with a ride lasting about 195 seconds"

Sheikra is the only dive machine I have been on and it wasn't anything special. The drops had good airtime, but the rest was forceless. The holding brake didn't do anything for me either. I won't be very excited if Cedar Point gets a dive machine, but I bet it will be the best one built. It would be the Gatekeeper of dive machines. No matter how I feel about it, at least it will make the lines shorter for the big 3.

We really don't know what's coming next year, but if it's a coaster then it may be something we really aren't thinking of. Everyone wants RMC to get their hands on Mean Streak, but Cedar Point also has the option to build a custom RMC. I wouldn't be too surprised if Cedar Point gets a custom RMC or even a wooden coaster from another company. Now that would be something to get excited about. I can't wait for the 2016 announcement.

Sometimes I feel ashamed of some of the other folks involved in my enthusiastic hobby. Cedar Point is without a doubt the best park in the country for roller coasters, why complain about another one just because it's not what YOU want? Why cant you just enjoy the fact we are blessed to be able to ride these huge monsters? You're taking it for granted and you should really stop. A roller coaster ride is about enjoying some free time away from the troubles of the world and experience sensations that you otherwise wouldn't experience. Enjoy them for what they are, not being a critic unless you're paid to be a critic. I live in Texas where there is no Cedar Fair parks and yet I have a platinum season pass because I LOVE RIDES! That's all this should be about. I can't wait for this Dive Coaster if that's what they get so I can fly up to ride it, that's all it should be about!

^ Yeah I agree. A Dive coaster, even if it's not the most intense, rip your face off with Gs experience, would really round out CPs line up nicely. I mean they would have almost everything! And what a terrific collection of B&Ms at that.

I can't wait to see what CP does with the dive concept, and already hoping it's a big hit so that Knotts is next on the list!

Although I was totally for the Rougarou conversion, it makes me wonder why they went floorless on that only a season before the proposed dive coaster. I'm assuming the dive coaster will be floorless and with Rougarou opening up literally right across from the new coaster's site, it makes the 2016 attraction less exciting/innovating in my opinion.

With that said and with B&M playing around with restraints, I wonder if we will see something never seen before on a dive coaster train? Because if not, this ride is going to have to be very different from Griffon and Sheikra's layouts to stand out from just being a 'Rougarou with a more intimidating drop and wider trains'...