TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Staying on-site can really be quite a deal. My room at Breakers Express came with breakfast at the DQ across the street and parking for both days of my visit, and then early entry on top of it. There's $45 worth of stuff (plus that sweet early entry) included with my room that was only $100 per night. Totally worth it in my book.

Went out to CP for a bit yesterday. It was a really good day, because the thunderstorms early on kept the lines non-existant. There were many hours in the middle of the day where everything was up, and you could literally walk onto everything except Maverick, MF, and Dragster. I waited under 5 minutes for MF, about 5 minutes for dragster, and didn't mess with Maverick today because the line was over a half hour and we weren't there for the full day. I was curious about the new restraints, but not "pass up walk-ons for a half hour wait" curious. Around 7pm they closed the blue side of Gemini, took corkscrew down to 1 train (and it was still a walkon) and probably a few other rides too.

Rougaroo was a good time! I actually never minded Mantis because I'm tall, so for me it wasn't really too different. It was fun, and I like that they don't use the drop trims on it. The crowds seem pretty "meh" towards it, because it was a one train wait for the front and walk on anywhere else. I rode in the back one time and the middle 6 rows were all empty. MF, Dragster, and Maverick still seem to be where the crowds are (not surprising).

One other thing. A ride op hinted that this is the last season for Corkscrew. I'm not usually one to trust ride-ops as information sources, since usually they don't know much more than the GP when it comes to park planning, but I must say I would be a little sad to see corkscrew go. I've never found it that rough by Arrow standards, it's small so there's not much that could go in it's spot, and it's a pretty neat site over the midway (especially at night). I'd much rather see the stinking garbage heap that is Meanstreak go if anything, since it's footprint is huge and could be replaced with an actually good ride, though in honest, I'd prefer to see no coasters go since that's not the point of Cedar Point! Anyhow, hopefully this guy was just getting on the "lots of Arrows are closing" hype. I'm sure there's plenty of people who wouldn't miss it, but I would!

^ You should've tried Maverick. I hated it before the new restraints. I can and will ride it a lot if there's no line. Yes, I too like Rougarou. I wouldn't ride Mantis either - too much "ear boxing." I don't mind standup coasters, but this layout was too compressed. I'm surprised how much I like Rougarou.

^ I Actually didn't mind Maverick on the old restraints. Again, I'm tall, and I've noticed that most of the coasters people hate on, tall people don't mind as much (except Meanstreak. That's seriously my only "never again" coaster that I've ever been on). I did want to try it, but I'll be going back later this summer and I wanted to try and get on as much as possible yesterday! We were going to do it at the end, but a storm came up and closed everything down a bit early.

Congrats to Cedar Point on "finally" getting some recognition despite being a highly underrated park that few people have ever heard of. It's always nice to see this humble, small, "underrated" park nestled quaintly on the shores of Lake Erie finally getting some national attention and landing on a list of "underrated" amusement parks.

Direct link to the list...

And yes, I'm being unbelievably sarcastic. And by the way this list is getting a ton of traction on social media and news outlets.

In row 2

There lies the problem. I'm not saying it's ever an exciting ride but ride it in row 1 and lean keep your back off the seat back and I promise you that the ride won't be rough. It still won't do much of anything though...

One other thing. A ride op hinted that this is the last season for Corkscrew. I'm not usually one to trust ride-ops as information sources, since usually they don't know much more than the GP when it comes to park planning, but I must say I would be a little sad to see corkscrew go. I've never found it that rough by Arrow standards, it's small so there's not much that could go in it's spot, and it's a pretty neat site over the midway (especially at night). I'd much rather see the stinking garbage heap that is Meanstreak go if anything, since it's footprint is huge and could be replaced with an actually good ride, though in honest, I'd prefer to see no coasters go since that's not the point of Cedar Point! Anyhow, hopefully this guy was just getting on the "lots of Arrows are closing" hype. I'm sure there's plenty of people who wouldn't miss it, but I would!

I'd be surprised if they got rid of the Corkscrew. It is a great family roller coaster and I agree it looks pretty cool however if they do tear that coaster down there is some space to grow but I doubt they would built into that parking lot. Given all the work done near the Goodtime theater it is safe to say that will be the next location of their major roller coaster, but maybe Corkscrew will be the next to go in a few years. The older the coaster gets the harder it is to get parts and the more expensive it gets to maintain the ride.

With the popularity of Maverick I'm surprised we haven't seen similar installations in other CF parks. Then again there is the whole rumored Intamin "beef". I liked Sheikra at BGT and am not opposed to a Dive coaster, or any new addition...but one can dream about a Mega-lite, sort of Millennium/Maverick love child. I think it would be very appreciated at the point.

^ I tried Mean Streak once last week while at the park. In row 2 and it still sucked!

RMC RMC RMC!... yeah, I know, it's been said a squillion times before. But seriously.

There are several Cedar Fair wooden coasters that could go for an RMC conversion...

I was at Cedar Point for the first time ever a month ago, and Mean Streak is definitely one of them. It was fun, but it hurt.

For me, I live in Kansas, so I frequent Worlds of Fun up in Kansas City, MO. Timber Wolf is one that is also due for an RMC makeover, but for some reason Cedar Fair doesn't seem to want anything to do with them. Its quite frustrating, because New Texas Giant is downright awesome.

I must be the only person on the planet that hates Maverick. It is way too rough for me.

Was the last time you rode it with the new or old restraints? I haven't been to Cedar Point but I've heard that the new restraints can make a world of difference for the ride's quality.

^I think you might be. I love it. Best ride in the planet.

I fixed that for you

Its not rough, its smooth as glass. It just has extremely quick turns, and intense forces. That is what makes it easily one of the best rides around

I must be the only person on the planet that hates Maverick. It is way too rough for me.
Wow. I do not think I have ever heard of someone hating Maverick. However, each person is entitled to their own opinion! I am curious to know what your favorite ride is at Cedar Point!

Can someone tell me if there is something going on at CP that would make June 23 a bad day to go? I'm deciding whether or not to get Fast Lane. Seeing that it's a Tuesday I'm leaning towards against it, because $85 is a lot if there are no lines anywhere. Luckily I have a $10 ticket that makes me kind of want to get it, but even with that cheap of a price for ticketing I still am not sure if Fast Lane is worth it on a Tuesday in June.

I think you may be confusing rough with snappy. Maverick was one of the smoothest coasters I have ever ridden. No rattling, no shuffling. Snappy with ridiculously quick transitions yes, but it tracks smooth as butter.

It's all about your mindset. Maverick definitely throws you around quite a bit, but it's designed to. Anticipate the curves with your body and appreciate the fact that ride keeps you on your toes.

I used to hate Raptor until I realized it wasn't designed to be glass smooth and forceless like all the other B&M's I'd been on. I changed my expectations and now it's my new favorite invert.

I used to hate Raptor until I realized it wasn't designed to be glass smooth and forceless like all the other B&M's I'd been on. I changed my expectations and now it's my new favorite invert.

Preach. And that snap into the brake run is the best thing ever.

Preach. And that snap into the brake run is the best thing ever.