TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Blue Streak is half and half with me, when I rode it it provided great airtime, but it was extremely painful. I guess I still kind of enjoyed it, but oh my god it felt like I had to tense up the whole ride in order to not break anything. I remember I rode in the very back car, I can't remember which seat. Did anyone have an extremely rough experience in that seat?

Yeah I've been there. The last row on Blue Streak can get pretty rough. Still fun though, but rough indeed. The worst part is the first airtime hill, that heaves the riders up into the restraints. If there were no restraints on Blue Streak everyone would get thrown out instantly lol. But the airtime is fun so I can't complain. I just tighten my seatbelt really tight and that seems to help.

I was gonna save it for the full report but I'll go on record as saying Mean Streak was hands down the WORST coaster we rode all weekend at both CP and Kennywood (and we rode some old A$$ woodies @ KW). One and done and never again.

Just completely awful. No airtime, trimmed to death drop, I felt like I was being beaten by a gang of thugs. We rode it toward the front - back of first car I think? We were all horrified when it kept going after the MCBR. Lots of talk about fire after this one. Its a shame because it LOOKS really cool, but you couldn't pay me to get back on that thing. Not a single redeeming quality.

Blue Streak on the other hand we all thought was awesome. We actually rode it and loved it so much we walked right around and rode it again.

Whenever I ride Mean Streak I make sure to sit in the front row, or at least the front row of a car near the fron of the train. That is where the smoothest ride is. I rode Mean Streak twice this weekend and the first time I rode in the very front row, and I was pleasantly surprised as to how smooth it was. Two years ago I rode it and it made my back cramp up and I vowed to never ride it again, but after reading comments on various forums saying that it was better this year I decided to give it one more chance and I ended up really enjoying myself. I would never be against an RMC treatment, but I think that whatever it is that they are doing to the ride has been working. I went back to Mean Streak later in the day to ride again, and it actually had a half hour wait, which is rare even on the busiest of days. But it was pretty uncrowded so I was surprised. The second time I rode in the second row of the first car I believe, which was bumpier than the other ride but still not painful. To other people I was with rode in the first row of the second car and ended up having a lot of fun and remarking about how smooth it was in that row. I think it really depends on where you sit, but in the future I would say try for the front row of a car near the front of the train, because that seemed to do the trick for me.

I was gonna save it for the full report but I'll go on record as saying Mean Streak was hands down the WORST coaster we rode all weekend at both CP and Kennywood (and we rode some old A$$ woodies @ KW). One and done and never again.

Just completely awful. No airtime, trimmed to death drop, I felt like I was being beaten by a gang of thugs. We rode it toward the front - back of first car I think? We were all horrified when it kept going after the MCBR. Lots of talk about fire after this one. Its a shame because it LOOKS really cool, but you couldn't pay me to get back on that thing. Not a single redeeming quality.

Blue Streak on the other hand we all thought was awesome. We actually rode it and loved it so much we walked right around and rode it again.

Whenever I ride Mean Streak I make sure to sit in the front row, or at least the front row of a car near the fron of the train. That is where the smoothest ride is. I rode Mean Streak twice this weekend and the first time I rode in the very front row, and I was pleasantly surprised as to how smooth it was. Two years ago I rode it and it made my back cramp up and I vowed to never ride it again, but after reading comments on various forums saying that it was better this year I decided to give it one more chance and I ended up really enjoying myself. I would never be against an RMC treatment, but I think that whatever it is that they are doing to the ride has been working. I went back to Mean Streak later in the day to ride again, and it actually had a half hour wait, which is rare even on the busiest of days. But it was pretty uncrowded so I was surprised. The second time I rode in the second row of the first car I believe, which was bumpier than the other ride but still not painful. To other people I was with rode in the first row of the second car and ended up having a lot of fun and remarking about how smooth it was in that row. I think it really depends on where you sit, but in the future I would say try for the front row of a car near the front of the train, because that seemed to do the trick for me.

So me and my brother are thinking about taking our first trip to Cedar Point since 2009 some time in mid to late June. Fridays and Saturdays are likely the only viable day options. So my questions are, what are the wait times like on those days in mid to late June? Would it be worth it to buy fast lane on those days? And if we get a hotel, would it be more worth it to just do one day w/ fast lane, or two days with no fast lane?

If your staying at a CP hotel, then 2 days without FL should be fine

With just about any coaster I go out of my way to avoid wheel seats when given the chance. Even the smoothest wood coasters can be a little rougher in those seats (even El Toro). Blue Streak is no exception. Off the top of my head the only exception I can think of is Phoenix which seems to run perfectly in every single seat.

We rode Blue Streak once in the back car middle row and then again toward the front - not sure if it was a wheel seat or not (we were just excited to jump back on) but both of our rides were awesome! It's definitely one of my favorites at the park and I wish I got more rides on it.

So my brother and I are thinking about taking our first trip to Cedar Point since 2009 some time in mid to late June. Fridays and Saturdays are likely the only viable day options. So my questions are, what are the wait times like on those days in mid to late June? Would it be worth it to buy fast lane on those days? And if we get a hotel, would it be more worth it to just do one day w/ fast lane, or two days with no fast lane?
Wait times on a Friday/Saturday in mid to late June are going to be on the high end. A lot of people hitting the park for summer vacation. If I were you I would get a hotel, and Fast Lane Plus for both days. However, that adds up fast. If you wanted to make it a one day trip, and still get to do everything without having to wait... Consider doing a VIP tour. You could get everything done in one day, all of your food and drink is included, and you would not have to wait for anything. A VIP Tour is the only way to make Cedar Point a one day trip! Either way you go you're still going to have a great visit!

Anything that expensive it out of the question. What difference does fast lane plus make on busy days?

Fast Lane covers just about everything EXCEPT Maverick, Dragster, Gatekeeper, and Rougarou, which are only on FL+. I know Memorial Day is likely different then your average summer Saturday (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) but the non FL lines on those rides this past weekend HAD to be 2-3 hours most of the day. With FL+ the longest we waited for anything was 20 minutes, so we were able to bounce around and do what we wanted. It really allowed us to make the most of our time there - but even though we did all of the coasters and flats we really wanted to, I still feel like we probably missed so much - and we were in the park the majority of two full days w/ early entry both days.

Wow that's actually pretty impressive. On a day like that I would have still expected over an hour wait. Only time I ever used fast lane was last summer at Michigan's Adventure. My buddies girlfriend decided to buy them for everyone for some reason and it wasn't an incredibly busy day. Only had to wait for the next train on everything. Obviously it would never be like that at Cedar Point, but 20 minutes is pretty dang good on a busy day.

So, the weather forecast for this weekend looks like it most likely going to rain at some point... just not consistently. What's the best game plan for patchy bad weather? Trying to formulate a plan so I don't have to miss out on the major attractions.

^Bee-line it for whatever you are most desperate to ride before the rain hits, and the moment rides re-open after precipitation.

Cedar Point does not take rain lightly at all. Their website states how different conditions will affect certain rides making it seem like a good amount of rain is needed to close rides, but the reality is that a light drizzle will affect most major attractions even if they say they operate in light or steady rain.

So, the weather forecast for this weekend looks like it most likely going to rain at some point... just not consistently. What's the best game plan for patchy bad weather? Trying to formulate a plan so I don't have to miss out on the major attractions.

A few weeks ago when I flew in from Texas it was raining my first day until about noon. It was a pretty steady rain, not a drizzle by any means. Even though I live here, I have platinum passes for Cedar Fair. CP had MF, Gatekeeper, Rougarou, and Maverick ready at 9 am! I was VERY surprised. It was raining hard enough that I was just soaked after taking a couple Gatekeeper rides. What I learned from the ride ops is they'll operate the rides (except Dragster) in a light to steady rain. It might hurt your face a bit, but deal with it! (as long as there isn't lightning in the area)

As far as Dragster, the policy the ride ops told me is, any precipitation at all will close it, and then it needs about 15-20 min to drip dry some. I got 2 rides quickly by just planning around the rain and watching the radar constantly. Be a smart park goer and you can snake a lot of waiting from the GP who run for cover. I hung out by the MF and Dragster lockers for cover and waited out the rain and got quick rides by being one of the first people to line up waiting for them to re-open.

Oh!! and don't wear a poncho on MF...it won't make it...it tore mine to shreds

Anyone know if shoot the rapids or thunder canyon have opened yet?

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but they usually open Memorial Day weekend.

I know I was watching the Web came a few days ago, and you could see shoot the rapids running.

According to CedarPoint.com:

Shoot the rapids is open, and will close for the season on September 7th.

OPERATING NOTE: Thunder Canyon is now closed for the season, as it transforms into CornStalkers! (Surely that's just needing updating.)

Hi, I will be going to Cedar Point this June and I'm really excited for it! It will be my first visit, however I read in a conversation somewhere on youtube that talked about Cedar Point and someone talked about Mantis being better than Rougarou because Rougarou was still rough but more boring because you now sit, and how it was a bad idea because it ruins CP's coaster diversity. So my question is do you agree with this? Because if you do, it would suck if CP's first big coaster rehab was a flop. Also I was wondering because I wanted to know if I would be missing anything when I go to Cedar Point this Summer. -Thanks

Rougarou is kickass, like literally kickass, my two friends and I went down for Victoria Day long weekend which is a Canadian Holiday and we all thought it was one of the best rides in the park now. Please no one shoot me for saying this but we called it B&M's version of Maverick cause it was very tight and quick.

The diversity argument is stupid anyway. It's the only floorless coaster in the park.

Yes, but I think it's because you get that similar "free" feeling on this ride as you do Gatekeeper. Along with the fact that your feet dangle on Raptor too. But as long as everyone likes all 3 of them. Plus I'm fine with it cuz the layouts of all 3 are COMPLETELY different.

Now that they fixed the uncomfortableness on 2 of their Great rides, is there anyway that they can get B&M to come over and do the same thing to Magnum that they did to Steel Dragon 2000? Think about a B&M train on that!

The same trains that were fitted to Steel Dragon 2000 would not work on Magnum. Magnum was manufactured by Arrow, and SD2K by Morgan. Magnum's track is such that the trains' wheels are on the inside of the rails, whereas on SD2K they are on the outside, like every B&M.