TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Hi All,

I'm new here and have some questions about a trip to Cedar Point. I'm in Baltimore and normally visit Hershey Park, but figured this year I'd finally get out to Cedar Point and bring the whole family (that's 5 of us -- me, my wife, and three kids (17, 14, 9)). I'm looking for any advice about visiting CP for the first time for a family almost entirely interested in the coasters.

Our biggest concern is crowds (of course ), so we're planning to come next week on either Wednesday (5/20) or Thursday (5/21). From what I gather, weekdays in May are good and that's just before OH schools let out, so probably our best chance for light crowds. Does that sound right? Do you think Wednesday would be better than Thursday or are they both far enough from the weekend? Easiest for us is to go Thursday, but we will go Wednesday if that's likely to make a real difference. The weather is looking decent for both days. We won't be buying any special line-jumping passes (just can't afford that for our group of 5) and we will be staying offsite, so no early admission.

Can anyone offer any other tips about our visit? (I will be scouring this thread for all I can find, as well.) I've heard it's good to head to the rear of the park first, but also to ride Top Thrill Dragster early, since it may breakdown. Is any entry gate better than the others for getting in and to the ideal spot in the park first?

Thanks so much!

Justin

I'll be there on Thursday along with all the seniors from my high school. I doubt the park will be crowded. I, too would like some advice, although I've been a few times. I've always gone to Maverick first but from what I gather (and I do not doubt this is true) it's better to go straight to Millennium, then head to the back of the park as Maverick's line is usually longer in the afternoon. From my experience Dragster never has a huge line, although it breaks down quite a bit. I usually just include it in its place along the path. For those that have been to the park already this season, how is Rougarou's line? When would be the best time to ride?

^ I think that you should both be fine in terms of lines but I would recommend going with either MF or Maverick first and do the front of the park in the afternoon once crowds have filtered to the back of the park. Raptor, Blue Streak, Wicked Twister (if open), Maxair and Gatekeeper should all have light lines during that time of the day (unless high school trips are filtering out then).

One thing that I did notice was that the Math & Science week (or whatever it's called) is not listed on their website of events this year. Are they not doing it this year?

Visited Wednesday May 13 (free after 4pm for staying at Breakers Express) and Thursday May 14 (with early entry).

Everything except Wicked Twister and the water rides eventually opened, but Maverick, Top Thrill Dragster, Magnum, and various flats were down for certain parts of the days.

Rougarou was OK, a good ride, but not great. Been there, done that. No different than a dozen other B&M floorless coasters I've ridden in various other parks over the past 17 years. I know it's very early in the season, and what I witnessed may be an anomaly, but it appears Rougarou may be somewhat of a bust. A one-and-done ride for the visitors those days. Even in mid-afternoon they were sending up trains with empty rows, while most of the other coasters had short but healthy lines. Even Iron Dragon next door was a 10 minute wait. After 6pm almost every Rougarou train had fewer than 10 people riding; some were empty to cycle.

Maverick's new restraints are a vast improvement over the old ones.

Gemini was only running the red side, but about 5pm on Thursday they started testing the blue side. We raced against an empty blue train, and that side won. I don't know if it eventually opened for riders.

Someone vomited after riding MaxAir and they had to close it briefly to hose it down.

My longest line was about 20 minutes for Millenium Force about 415pm on Wednesday. Rode it 4 times during early entry Thursday with little wait, and then again 3 times in the half hour before closing. During mid-afternoon it appeared the wait might be about 30 to 45 minutes.

Lots of junior and senior high school kids there for Math & Physics days.

Mid-week in May was a great time to visit.

Also went to King's Island on Tuesday May 12. A great, uncrowded day there as well.

Edited by LBIJim

^ I guess that explains why Math & Science wasn't on their website - they already had it!

In terms of Gemini only running one side, that is typical for early season. The short lines do not justify running both the red and blue trains, so they normally only run one side with two trains - unless it's on an unusually crowded weekend.

I know it's very early in the season, and what I witnessed may be an anomaly, but it appears Rougarou may be somewhat of a bust. A one-and-done ride for the visitors those days. Even in mid-afternoon they were sending up trains with empty rows, while most of the other coasters had short but healthy lines. Even Iron Dragon next door was a 10 minute wait. After 6pm almost every Rougarou train had fewer than 10 people riding; some were empty to cycle.

I see a lot of the same on Gatekeeper and Raptor usually. Not because they aren't popular, but because they simply chew through people, combined with the slower early-season days in May. Those coasters are capacity machines. Mantis wasn't as much because of the time it took to adjust the seats, but I'm sure with quicker load times the capacity on Rougarou has drastically increased.

^ I guess that explains why Math & Science wasn't on their website - they already had it!

In terms of Gemini only running one side, that is typical for early season. The short lines do not justify running both the red and blue trains, so they normally only run one side with two trains - unless it's on an unusually crowded weekend.

I understand only running one side of Gemini, especially early in the season. Opening the blue side was totally unnecessary that day. I suppose they were just testing it for future use.

I know it's very early in the season, and what I witnessed may be an anomaly, but it appears Rougarou may be somewhat of a bust. A one-and-done ride for the visitors those days. Even in mid-afternoon they were sending up trains with empty rows, while most of the other coasters had short but healthy lines. Even Iron Dragon next door was a 10 minute wait. After 6pm almost every Rougarou train had fewer than 10 people riding; some were empty to cycle.

I see a lot of the same on Gatekeeper and Raptor usually. Not because they aren't popular, but because they simply chew through people, combined with the slower early-season days in May. Those coasters are capacity machines. Mantis wasn't as much because of the time it took to adjust the seats, but I'm sure with quicker load times the capacity on Rougarou has drastically increased.

No doubt capacity has drastically increased on Rougarou vs. Mantis. Still, there were lines for Gatekeeper and Raptor until the last hour before closing, while Rougarou seemed to be a walk-on by mid-afternoon. I'm sure Rougarou's ridership will increase when the season gets into full swing.

I know it's very early in the season, and what I witnessed may be an anomaly, but it appears Rougarou may be somewhat of a bust. A one-and-done ride for the visitors those days. Even in mid-afternoon they were sending up trains with empty rows, while most of the other coasters had short but healthy lines.

I wouldn't call Rougarou a bust at all! I too was at Cedar Point on Wednesday the 13th and know that it was not busy at all! Gatekeeper was a 7 minute wait at 11AM when we rode it, as was Raptor. Rougarou was actually one for the longer lines we waited in - 25 minutes. I think you pretty much summed up how slow the day was with you comment about Millennium Force - 20 minute wait AND it was only running two trains! Is Rougarou the best coaster in the world? No, BUT it is a vast improvement over Mantis and a coaster the GP seems to be loving!

I do agree with your opinion on the new Maverick restraints! No more defensive ridding!!!!

Afternoon everyone!

I just got back home to Dallas after visiting CP all day Friday and Saturday. Even living here, my fiancee and I got platinum passes as we are planning on flying up likely 3 more times, so we took advantage of early entry and the ERT on MF and Rougarou last night.

The first thing I will always give kudos to at CP is the fact they run the rides in rain. Thursday morning was practically a downpour at 8:30 am, but I got back to back rides on Gatekeeper, and 3 MF rides in an hour! I had a rain poncho that didn't make it through those last few MF rides...but I didn't care

I considered it an achievement, but I managed to get 4 TTD rides, it was actually running well with little downtime the 2 days I was there.

I experienced Pinks for the first time and really enjoyed the burger I ordered. It was only my 2nd visit ever to CP so I have a lot of the "places to go" to learn. I'm hoping to come up to my first ever Coastermania on the 5th (looking at flights currently) I'll probably be solo, so if anyone can guide me on the things to do as far as food, etc. and how Coastermania tends to work I'd appreciate it!

Gemini ran empty blue all Friday, yesterday they ran both sides racing.

I really enjoyed the new Maverick restraints, I'm going to King's Dominion in mid-June, so I'm happy to know what I'll be dealing with on I-305. The new restraints made it SO much easier to hold the arms up the whole time and be more comfortable in the transitions. I took 7 rides on Maverick because it was so much more comfortable.

MF had some more giddy-up to it than it did when I first visited last year. I don't know if it's the little bit of extra weight because of the fiber glass trains or what, but I was getting not good, but GREAT airtime on the floater hills. I got 10 rides and it didn't matter when it was raining, or what time of day it was, it really felt like it was hauling some butt. (I also heard from a ride-op that they expect the yellow train back next week.)

Rougarou, I only took one ride on Mantis last year, being a guy, I took a good shot down low and said once was enough. I rode Rougarou though 8 times over the course of the few days, much better I think and the GP really seem to enjoy it. The lines Friday and Saturday were constantly over an hour at all times of day for it. It's fun enough that I had no problem getting in line whenever I'd be on my way to MF or Maverick again, I really enjoyed it, so whoever above thinks it's a bust, my personal opinion is that it's a genius move by CP as it helps bring the lineup together.

I was worried about my visit after the bust of an opening weekend, but CP really got it together and I even ran into Tony Clark to say hi. The ride operators were really trying hard to push out trains, especially on MF with only 2 trains, I got lucky and got the last ride of the night last night and sat in the front and some employees hopped on with us. I thanked them all for their efforts as at times they'd be running trying to get people dispatched these past 2 days.

If anyone ever sees a older lady named Brenda at the Chic-Fil-A by Maverick, (she's usually the one cleaning tables) She's very nice and said she's been there about 6 years, she does a great job so stop and say hi to her and she'll give you some of those yummy good mints!

I was at Cedar Point today and had a great time - 30 rides between 9 - 4. I had to leave for Ann Arbor at 4. I could've gotten a lot more if I could've stayed longer. Typical slow Sunday.

Yes, Wicked Twister was testing. I heard from an unofficial source that it could be a week, because the state hasn't done it's annual inspection yet. Not really sure of the accuracy of that, but just wanted to share what I heard.

It's nice that I can ride 2 more rides at the Point now - Rougaroo & Maverick. I hated the headbanging on Mantis, and couldn't take the old restraints on Maverick. I now enjoy both rides...

The third train (yellow) for Millie appeared overnight with it's new body, but wasn't used while I was there. Dragster was having a bad day, but I was able to ride it once. Also I met another TPR member - DBRU on Maggie. He's a supervisor and was working the ride this morning. Nice guy with good hustle, and even smiled while he was working. I got 12 on her today! No waiting in the morning.

Things are looking up at the Point from my perspective!

The first thing I will always give kudos to at CP is the fact they run the rides in rain. Thursday morning was practically a downpour at 8:30 am, but I got back to back rides on Gatekeeper, and 3 MF rides in an hour! I had a rain poncho that didn't make it through those last few MF rides...but I didn't care

This is great to hear! Perhaps I'm mistaken, but didn't CP previously have an excessively strict rain policy? I think they used to shut pretty much everything down.

Glad to hear they've loosened up on the policy. It makes it less of a gamble for non-passholders.

I was there today as well and will confirm a few things previously posted:

- No visible ground work in the cleared areas yet

- Yellow train is back on Millennium, though it's sitting on the back storage track

- Wicked Twister was indeed testing

- Gemini was racing and racing well, they had it timed pretty well to be neck-n-neck

- Panda Express is now on the dining plan

- Skyhawk had a couple of cherry pickers working on what looked like the top arch, it was closed all day

- All three water rides looked closed

- I am very pleased with the way Rougouru turned out, I rode it 4 times.... that's more in one day than I have ridden it as Mantis in 5 or 6 years combined.

- Ate at pinks for the first time, pretty good, I had the Chicago Dog. Any better suggestions?

The rain policy is harsher on certain rides than others. Dragster won't run with a single drop, and Magnum (which is what had the accident in the rain) also shuts down fairly quickly in the rain. Most of the other rides though still operate unless it's a heavy downpour. Raptor and Iron Dragon can also be iffy in the rain but that's because you're below the track.

I know, at least last year, Magnum closes after the first drop falls. They are very careful with the ride after the accident. If it rains all day, they will operate the ride with 1 train. If it rains on and off, they will just close and open it with the weather.

Can't blame them on that one though.

I know that they replaced the entire control system on Magnum last season, but I don't know if that is still effected by the rain or not.

I'm sad to see the popularity of Magnum wane so much

- two trains yesterday

- removal of the very far back queue

- less park merchandise with Magnum on it

- even missing on some of the "fearsome five" t-shirts, replaced with Rougorou

Kings island has been printing some retro ride t-shirts, would love to see the Point do that with some of their old and past rides.

Yes, Wicked Twister was testing. I heard from an unofficial source that it could be a week, because the state hasn't done it's annual inspection yet. Not really sure of the accuracy of that, but just wanted to share what I heard.

It's plausible but I hope it's not true. You would think they'd do anything in their power to get it open by Memorial Day weekend but then again it's very likely out of their hands at this point.

I know, at least last year, Magnum closes after the first drop falls. They are very careful with the ride after the accident. If it rains all day, they will operate the ride with 1 train. If it rains on and off, they will just close and open it with the weather.

Can't blame them on that one though.

Wouldn't blame them at all because of that, but Thursday when it was raining pretty good; the park had everything open but Dragster of course. It wasn't just a light rain at times either, I got beat up on one of my Gatekeeper rides as the rain picked up during the chain lift. Raptor never shut down either, so they were really loose with the policy.

I was happy because here at my local park SFoT...2 weeks ago they shut the rides down because of "inclement weather"...what it really was; there was storm system about 15 miles away that was going to miss the park; it was still SUNNY and they closed EVERYTHING because of the "threat" of lightning. I couldn't believe it; so with the way CP handled the rain on Thursday until it stopped around noon was astounding in my books.

I know that they replaced the entire control system on Magnum last season, but I don't know if that is still effected by the rain or not.

I'm sad to see the popularity of Magnum wane so much

- two trains yesterday

- removal of the very far back queue

- less park merchandise with Magnum on it

- even missing on some of the "fearsome five" t-shirts, replaced with Rougorou

Maybe it was just having a bad day, not being a local obviously it's hard for me to judge. But, compared to my visit last year; the ride ran horrible for the one ride I took Thursday. it just wasn't very bearable even before the finish when you know you're going to be thigh crunched. I wasn't the only one, many people who lined up behind me waiting for Dragster to open after the rain were saying the same thing that it's getting worse.

So not to change the subject, what's the deal with the bugs @ CP? Are they really that bad? And is it this early in the season?

I keep reading about these muffleheads, and have read some horror stories (eating bugs on coasters, etc). Is it true they usually start and are really bad this time of year? Or more in June? Bad at night only? Back of park more or less? I can deal but the other half has some bug issues, lol. Just curious...

Stoked to hear Wicked Twister is testing! We'll be there in 5 days...

So not to change the subject, what's the deal with the bugs @ CP? Are they really that bad? And is it this early in the season?

The bugs are legendary at Cedar Point. I remember last year they covered the car to the point where you couldn't even tell what color the roof was supposed to be. lol

It's weird though, they don't really bother you much on the midways. They stay up in the lights and you only notice them when you're riding the coasters at night and it feels like you're riding coasters in the rain. It sounds gross but it's not as bad as it sounds.

By the way, weather permitting (looks good now but we never pull the trigger on this park until last minute because of their insane rain and wind policies) we're going this weekend too. Maybe we'll run into eachother.

I had the pleasure of visiting the park this weekend for the first time since 2007! Drove from PA Friday morning and stayed on-site at lighthouse point and left Sunday morning. It was unique seeing the park from a resort stand point as my last visit we stayed in a dumpy hotel for a few days. Not going to go into details, but I was pleasantly surprised by Gatekeeper after reading all of the mixed reviews on it. Rode it first thing Friday night when we arrived in the back left seat. It was my first wing rider and a lot of fun.

The park has changed for the better since I was there and Maverick is still my favorite. There were a lot of breakdowns through out the weekend, TTD up and down both days for rain and other issues (we were lucky to wait 10 minutes for a ride after a quick rain delay), Maverick down most of Friday night, Skyhawk had a cherry picker and maintainance on it all weekend, Magnum stuck on lift Saturday, Blue Streak Stuck on lift for 15 mins when we got in line, and so on. Still had a great time.

Wicked Twister was testing while we were in line for Windseeker. Also met a really nice group of people from Nashville who were talking to us about Dollywood and Holiday World while in line as well. If you are reading HI! On another note after my visit to Canada's Wonderland last year I have been terrified of Windseekers for some unknown reason. After riding the CP version I wasn't as terrified, but I think the full ride and the gorgeous view may have had something to do with that. I'll see if I can suck up the courage to ride New England Sky Screamer in July.....

Only places I ever had issues with bugs was when I was in line for Magnum once and Mean streak once. Luckily they only had 2-3 train waits. Usually the bugs are never an issue. Seagulls on the other hand....

By the way, weather permitting (looks good now but we never pull the trigger on this park until last minute because of their insane rain and wind policies) we're going this weekend too. Maybe we'll run into eachother.

Awesome, check your messages.