TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

With all this talk about closed rides, I'm wondering... why isn't this info on the website? A lot of other parks have really clear listings of closed rides on their sites, but CP doesn't seem to. It seems like a pretty simple thing to add, and it would cut down on the number of guest complaints if people could see before they left home.

^Really? I know an employee at CP who said the trains are completely new, despite the wheels looking worn.

I'm 100% sure they're not new trains, in addition to the new bodies, all the yellow parts of the lap bars have been replaced and are brand new also adding to the "new" look of the trains, but I can assure you they're the same trains we've been running for 15 years.

With all this talk about closed rides, I'm wondering... why isn't this info on the website? A lot of other parks have really clear listings of closed rides on their sites, but CP doesn't seem to. It seems like a pretty simple thing to add, and it would cut down on the number of guest complaints if people could see before they left home.

As far as I know Wicked Twister is the only ride that's not ready to operate, everything else should be open barring any weather or mechanical issues.

Speaking of which, is there any news on Wicked Twister, does anyone have any idea how long it might be down for (approximately obviously... days, weeks...)?

Just walk slow around the park take it all in. There are a lot of cool little things that you may end up doing just because you have never seen them before.

This. It's easily one of my favorite parks for this kind of wandering; so many fun little details, places to relax, and attractions I either can't or wouldn't do at other parks.

As far as I know Wicked Twister is the only ride that's not ready to operate, everything else should be open barring any weather or mechanical issues.

Speaking of which, is there any news on Wicked Twister, does anyone have any idea how long it might be down for (approximately obviously... days, weeks...)?

Seems like they may be waiting on a part.

^Really? I know an employee at CP who said the trains are completely new, despite the wheels looking worn.

I'm 100% sure they're not new trains, in addition to the new bodies, all the yellow parts of the lap bars have been replaced and are brand new also adding to the "new" look of the trains, but I can assure you they're the same trains we've been running for 15 years.

Those trains have not been running for 15 years straight, have they? Even if they didn't buy all new trains this year, I'm willing to bet theirs not a single original piece in them.

Those trains have not been running for 15 years straight, have they? Even if they didn't buy all new trains this year, I'm willing to bet theirs not a single original piece in them.

The chassis of the trains are the same, while yes, all other parts are replaced, nuts, bolts, wheels, ect.

^ Also wondering, as its one I really was hoping to ride next weekend. :/

Seems as if the restraints are stripped from the test seat. Could WT be getting new restraints??

Would be nice if it got more reasonable restraints (on the seatbelt at least). It really should be more like other Intamin inverts like Volcano and Possessed. I can easily ride those but my height makes Wicked Twisters seatbelt very taut.

I feel like if WT were getting new restraints, something would've been announced, like Maverick. As to why there would even be the possibility of new restraints I do not know, because from all the times I've been on WT there hasn't been any discomfort other than the expected side-throwing from going 70mph into a twist. I hope they get it up and running, although I highly doubt it will be before my first visit for the season. With all the mysterious matinence going on it is no secret that they have fallen WAY behind on testing I have watched the webcams religiously and there hasn't been much activity other than curious parkgoers. Get well soon WT!

In other news, can anyone tell me how crowds are the Friday before Memorial weekend(May 22)? That's the day I'm looking into going, and I'm hoping it will be light because Ohio schools aren't out yet and the people going to the park Memorial weekend would probably be going on like Saturday Sunday or Monday. I just don't want it to be crowded because lines are evil lol.

I just returned home from Cedar Point. I was a bit hesitant to make the trip up there after hearing all of the poor opening weekend reports, but overall it was a GREAT day. The park was clean, ops were enthusiastic & efficient and lines were short. All coasters were operational except for Wicked Twister. As reported above, the WT train was completely on the track with most parts on the train. Hopefully this is a sign that testing will begin soon. Millennium Force was still on two train operation with the yellow train missing from the track. Gemini was also at reduced capacity, only the red side was running. Dragster was up and down all day. Nothing new there.

I was able to take my first spin on the "new" coaster, Rougarou. Personally, I think that converting Manits into Rougarou was a FANTASTIC choice. Rougarou is quite comfortable, fun and exciting. As others have reported the trim is off, and the ride hauls through the course. The refreshed Wicked Twister midway is also looking nice. All relocated rides were operational and open for guests today.

I just returned home from Cedar Point. I was a bit hesitant to make the trip up there after hearing all of the poor opening weekend reports, but overall it was a GREAT day. The park was clean, ops were enthusiastic & efficient and lines were short. All coasters were operational except for Wicked Twister. As reported above, the WT train was completely on the track with most parts on the train. Hopefully this is a sign that testing will begin soon. Millennium Force was still on two train operation with the yellow train missing from the track. Gemini was also at reduced capacity, only the red side was running. Dragster was up and down all day. Nothing new there.

I was able to take my first spin on the "new" coaster, Rougarou. Personally, I think that converting Manits into Rougarou was a FANTASTIC choice. Rougarou is quite comfortable, fun and exciting. As others have reported the trim is off, and the ride hauls through the course. The refreshed Wicked Twister midway is also looking nice. All relocated rides were operational and open for guests today.

Glad to hear your positive report, after all the "negative" reports recently. Can't wait to see WT up and running again. Reading your report has me super excited for our trip to Cedar Point this summer. Thanks for sharing your visit!! Can't wait to ride Rougarou.

Thanks for the update glad to see its back on the track! I am returning after 14 years and Wicked Twister is one of the new rides I need to do.

Just over a week to go whoop whoop.

Stu K

I have to say, Rougarou looks great, and I like the extra touches like the fog and growl! Also, it's good to hear that the ride is improved! I always liked the layout for Mantis, but the stand-up part sucked. Kudos to the park for breathing life back into the coaster!

I'm stoked to ride it in about 3 weeks....it's pretty awesome that it's included in the Coasting for Kids lineup!!

The Hotel Breakers renovations look pretty spectacular when compared to before. Now it really has the look that an in-park resort should! We're staying there when we head up for the charity event, and I'm looking forward to it!

Oh yeah, and those new Maverick restraints?? Look, I LOVE Maverick, but I always thought the restraints were the one thing keeping it from absolute perfection (for me anyway). Yes, I know that might make me a "weak" enthusiast or whatever , but I would always get a couple jabs to the neck while riding. Not a huge deal, but annoying nonetheless. It's funny, because the first time I rode I-305, I thought "man, would I love these straps on Maverick!" Can't wait to check them out!!

^ Also wondering, as its one I really was hoping to ride next weekend. :/

Seems as if the restraints are stripped from the test seat. Could WT be getting new restraints??

Would be nice if it got more reasonable restraints (on the seatbelt at least). It really should be more like other Intamin inverts like Volcano and Possessed. I can easily ride those but my height makes Wicked Twisters seatbelt very taut.

I would love to see WT get those Intamin rocket coaster OTSRs. I remember reading somewhere that doing this was very possible to Intamin inverts.

Hi All,

I'm new here and have some questions about a trip to Cedar Point. I'm in Baltimore and normally visit Hershey Park, but figured this year I'd finally get out to Cedar Point and bring the whole family (that's 5 of us -- me, my wife, and three kids (17, 14, 9)). I'm looking for any advice about visiting CP for the first time for a family almost entirely interested in the coasters.

Our biggest concern is crowds (of course ), so we're planning to come next week on either Wednesday (5/20) or Thursday (5/21). From what I gather, weekdays in May are good and that's just before OH schools let out, so probably our best chance for light crowds. Does that sound right? Do you think Wednesday would be better than Thursday or are they both far enough from the weekend? Easiest for us is to go Thursday, but we will go Wednesday if that's likely to make a real difference. The weather is looking decent for both days. We won't be buying any special line-jumping passes (just can't afford that for our group of 5) and we will be staying offsite, so no early admission.

Can anyone offer any other tips about our visit? (I will be scouring this thread for all I can find, as well.) I've heard it's good to head to the rear of the park first, but also to ride Top Thrill Dragster early, since it may breakdown. Is any entry gate better than the others for getting in and to the ideal spot in the park first?

Thanks so much!

Justin