TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I was going to take my husband for his first time this Tuesday and Wednesday, but I'm sort of glad we moved it to May 28-29, I'm really hoping they will have all the kinks out by then. I will be so bummed if Wicked Twister isn't running, for some reason to me that is the scariest coaster I've ridden, not sure why but I really want my husband to experience it. I've really been talking up CP since the only park he's ever been to is Kings Island, which he loved, but I told him CP is 10 times better, probably cause I grew up going there every summer as a kid and I love that it's on the water and all the coasters they have. I will be keeping an eye on which coasters might not still be running and keeping my fingers crossed that they will be by the time we go.

I'm sure the kinks will be worked out, TTD is running today, Magnum is up and running also, so is Maverick. They're getting it together slowly but surely. Hard to say though on Wicked Twister. It wasn't a case of them not having the ride ready, more of a problem related to another coaster of it's type in another park so they're replacing a part kind of like a recall on a car I believe is what's going on. You both will have a great time!

We were there yesterday and yes, it really seemed to be a "Miss" for the park. I've only gone a couple of opening days, but this year compared to last year were like night and day.

First off, I am not really mad, but just a little frustrated. Rides break down and there are opening day issues, and it seemed as though many rides that were down eventually opened. The rides having downtime but eventually opening were: Power Tower, Maxair, Magnum, Gemini, Corkscrew, Maverick, Witches Wheel, skyride, and the Giant wheel. Floorless-Banshee* and Millennium opened a little bit late.

Floorless Banshee* was really good. The new trains make for a much better ride, and it seemed like it was getting a lot of cheers. The inclined loop is really intense, it caught me off guard a bit. We got in at 9am and ran to it (walked fast, actually) and it was cycling and opened at 9:20. We waited under 20 minutes. I got a first-rider pin.

There were also rides being "Commissioned" (run x amount of times in order to be approved by the state) which i never heard of on opening day. The had to "Commission" Calypso and Dodgem 100 times a piece since they were "new" rides. Other rides looked to being commissioned as well, Including Witches wheel and Mean Steak as they ran empty all day, but I heard Witches Wheel opened.

Rides that never opened for us were: Twister, half of Skyhawk, Windseeker and Slingshot. (There may have been some kiddie rides as well.)

So all in all, it was a pretty bad day for the rides, but with hearing about the drop in testing budgets, I can see where this all makes sense now. It's still very disappointing, but if weather was a factor or having problems getting employees, I totally understand.

Also remember, the park had a TON of off-season projects going on, more than almost every other season. Gazebo demolished, Good Time Theater demolished, Sweet Spot Candy store put in, 3.. yes 3 rides moved and refurbished, 2 rides removed, the Breakers refurbished as well as the Breakers parking lot, and the Lakeside Pavilions. I'm sure I missed others.

Other things: Computers were down, so the meal plan was jacked, and they had a restaurant listed on the website that offered it, and it didn't accept it. We did get food, and it was good.

All in all, it was a C- to D+ day, though the employees were all very nice and they looked to try their best.

In conclusion, it's hard to say it was a truly bad day because in the end, we were at one of the greatest amusement parks in the world, and we should be fourtunate.

Hope our next trip is better.

*Some of you will get the joke, others will say: Banshee? huh? Wrong Park!

Anyone ride Maverick with the new restraints? I'm dying to hear about it!

Rode it twice - once in front, once in back. In short - I loved it. I knew how to "ride" Maverick so it never really bothered me before - except during ERT sessions it could get a little much and I'd brace myself in the twisties by holding the shoulder harness in front of me.

I did notice being "caught" by the restraints during the airtime pops - whereas my shoulders never hit the restraint before. Since the new restraints lay on your shoulders there is really no other option but to pop up into the restraints. It did not take away from the ride - but that was the only thing I noticed being different - besides the rest of the ride being so much more comfortable. All I heard was positive responses on trains coming in - so I think it's a hit...

It's my 2nd favorite change besides the Breakers renovation - you can really see and feel Ouimet's Disney influence on the renovation. It actually feels like a resort now. I was blown away how nice it was!

Hey guys so my friend is going to cp on the days of may 20-21 and he's staying at breakers. He wants to know what he should do first nd whatever, so he's getting there on the evening of the 20th, so he'll only have about 2 hours that evening, and then the 21st he has the early access pass, and he's entering from the breakers entrance. What shoudk he do first/last in both of those days? Thx.

Too lazy (and tired) to do a full trip report, plus pretty much everything from Rougarou Media Day and Opening Weekend has already been said. I will say that I was overly-impressed with the Hotel Breakers renovations - it has that Disney value resort feel to me. It actually feels like a resort now and not just a run-down hotel next to the park. I also loved the new Maverick restraints.

On to the pics...

IMG_9442.thumb.JPG.8b6d511f431e94d4ba79246f283d7bc1.JPG

Stopped across the bay on the night of arrival - we could hear them testing the howl / growl effects!

IMG_9458.thumb.JPG.8ee2de943ed2a0a66fffda32a9dc23f5.JPG

This is what coasters look like at 5AM

IMG_9504.thumb.JPG.99f20697bd1563f4dbc7ab89cb647f2e.JPG

And they're still a bit blurry at 7AM

IMG_9513.thumb.JPG.4e7396f6656260d3676f834db4e8ee48.JPG

The underwhelming "fog" effect on the first loop

IMG_9523.thumb.JPG.8a2db8b519065897e1ec15561eeac439.JPG

About the only shot I got where Rougarou looks good

IMG_9549.thumb.JPG.82cc9683d39397f85a85124420cb405e.JPG

This is a much more photogenic (and better) coaster

IMG_9557.thumb.JPG.9036b85df0dc38a398c8b556e8052389.JPG

This ride is fun right up to the very end

IMG_9572.thumb.JPG.e6dd7bbcefa1a99239c237713f32501a.JPG

Last overbanked turn

IMG_9587.thumb.JPG.f0b8a33cbae2e8e706e9097b76b6ae80.JPG

That joy this coaster has been giving for 15 years

IMG_9596.thumb.JPG.3a717dd2e92a3f349f6f60432b7ad46c.JPG

These were missing opening day but were spruced up and back out Sunday

IMG_9598.thumb.JPG.795e2c806a5b0d116a469ed69d0693cb.JPG

That first overbanked turn

IMG_9602.thumb.JPG.ff64abb1722170d7a49273ee04d1b8fd.JPG

New comfy restraints!

IMG_9612.thumb.JPG.ca50b07bda43647a60346e31dd092851.JPG

Watch out for that bird!

IMG_9616.thumb.JPG.56f608d07e542a62e64e98ff621eef5e.JPG

Criss-cross

IMG_9621.thumb.JPG.6569876680260f752512d1fe1a2af7a0.JPG

Headed to the tunnel

IMG_9632.thumb.JPG.b840444a43f4d93f824d2c7830cda182.JPG

The Lakeside Pavilion is looking good

IMG_9649.thumb.JPG.c46f21412cd3dc3adf3cd7226c5eac68.JPG

A look back - even added some fancy umbrellas to the beach

IMG_9669.thumb.JPG.06c373c6d43450eec03149dc063debea.JPG

Rotunda is looking gorgeous

IMG_9673.thumb.JPG.ea851dcd0c45e4dbc359d051a4550547.JPG

New lobby from the back

IMG_9684.thumb.JPG.900f1247136495fb403aa15c0a1001f3.JPG

New lobby from the front

IMG_9692.thumb.JPG.c229ab099d272e76b926e2eafaed31d1.JPG

The new main hallway is a lot shorter - surprised me.

IMG_9702.thumb.JPG.a18aeb552b3ba83192f86c7efbe4e8d9.JPG

This is what you see coming out the main entrance

IMG_9706.thumb.JPG.2150a5f7623387ba07f1a0d619caca6a.JPG

This is what you see looking back

So I have a few questions...

1. Will the Cedar Point Marketplace reopen? Because everytime I go to the website some error thing appears.

2. If they still sell the statix roller coaster trains, how much are they?

3. What happened to the intamin inverts, was something recalled because last time I checked Volcano was still running and so where the V2's at Six Flags.

4. Do Mavericks new restraints stop you from getting airtime? The old ones didnt bother me.

5. And is Cedar Point busy during weekdays in July? Im thinking about making a trip to Cedar Point and Kings Island during the week of the allstar game.

So I have a few questions...

1. Will the Cedar Point Marketplace reopen? Because everytime I go to the website some error thing appears.

2. If they still sell the statix roller coaster trains, how much are they?

3. What happened to the intamin inverts, was something recalled because last time I checked Volcano was still running and so where the V2's at Six Flags.

4. Do Mavericks new restraints stop you from getting airtime? The old ones didnt bother me.

5. And is Cedar Point busy during weekdays in July? Im thinking about making a trip to Cedar Point and Kings Island during the week of the allstar game.

In reference to the discussion a few pages back about the weather: Yes, it really was one a pretty terrible winter when factoring snow AND cold (at least in Cleveland). If I recall, February was the coldest on record. It was brutal. Keep in mind, they don't start prepping in April. So the fact that April was fine doesn't mean they weren't behind from the previous months (namely January-February). Should it cause as many issues as it seems it did? Probably not...

Also, cleveland.com did an interview with Jason McClure, please forgive me if it has been posted, but I don't believe I saw it anywhere:

http://www.cleveland.com/travel/index.ssf/2015/05/cedar_points_jason_mcclure_tal.html

A few notes:

1. He claims that "Valravn" hasn't been assigned to any particular project yet

2. August 2015 announcement for the massive open plot of land where the cars and theater used to be

3. No plans for RMC to come in and overhaul Mean Streak at this time.

AAAAAND 15 minutes later she's free. Barely made it back to the station, but no valley!

I noticed this on the webcam the other day (ugh... I'm a nerd), when an empty train stops in the mid course it crawls back to the station at a ridiculously slow speed. I'm sure Mantis always did this too but it's pretty amazing how slow it is. It really seems like it's going to valley when they block check it.

Just watched the Rougarou POV video alongside the Mantis POV...it seems so much faster!

Also, I'm just a little bit disappointed with the theme work done to the ride..I figured that it would feature a wolf howl at the top like Banshee, and also hoped for a fog and light show over the whole ride in the evenings. Still looks great though!

I'm also curious about the intamin inverts. The discussion is around problems with Possessed at Dorney so maybe a quick internet search will clear that up.

As for Maverick's restraints, my thighs were always pushed down (and I'm not a large person) so that I never got "airtime" in the strict sense. The new soft shoulder harnesses won't change that part of the restraint. The sensation of popping up is fine for me, though, even if I don't actually leave my seat. I've yet to ride it with the new restraints but I'm heading up to the park next week Thursday. Hopefully the park is pretty empty; Maverick is my favorite coaster at CP and I hope to get multiple laps on it without FL.

Any further intel. on why MF recieved new fiberglass train bodies? Is there any precedence for that? (Were S:RoS's trains moved to fiberglass with the Bizarro transformation? I can't recall whether the ride received new trains entirely or just new restraints and on-board audio.) I never noticed how MF sported metal bodied trains whereas TTD's and Maverick's were fiberglass.

So what about the trim on the drop!?

^There is a testing video on YouTube where Tony Clark jokes about it but confirms it's not on. Rougarou is hauling with the hard wheels, too.

I appreciate your response! This makes me so happy! Lol

In the upcoming weeks I am planning on visiting Cedar Point. I was wondering what ride I should hit up first. I am staying at Breakers Express so I get to enter the park an hour early. I was thinking about heading right up towards Rougarou, but I figured that's where everyone would be going. Do you guys have any thoughts?

I'm also curious about the intamin inverts. The discussion is around problems with Possessed at Dorney so maybe a quick internet search will clear that up.

I know V2 at SFGAm is down too right now. Not sure about the California one though.