TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I love that Cedar Point is preserving their rides, making improvements to areas, etc. I love almost everything B&M has done except for the old stand up craze, I just think that gimmick is overrated (even after how much hate it gets anyway). The Mantis layout has that old school intensity which should be great with new, better trains! I'm also happy that they're putting comfort restraints on Maverick, as that's been one of the only complaints of the ride from enthusiasts. Way to go CP!

...did anyone ever find an answer for how they addressed the heart-line issue on Rougarou going from standing to floorless?

Easy. The heartline isn't nearly as important or finite of an aspect of track design as enthusiasts have assumed it was all these years - at least not for Mantis' layout. I agree that I can't wait to experience an old school B&M design on new school B&M trains!!!

Edited by southpuddle

I'm really looking forward to this too. I love all the B&M sitdown/floorless coasters I've ridden, and Rougarou might now be a fantastic ride to marathon while everyone else is as Millennium Force, Dragster, or Maverick.

Mantis always had a line and now will have a longer one. Good luck with your marathoning:)

I'm really looking forward to this too. I love all the B&M sitdown/floorless coasters I've ridden, and Rougarou might now be a fantastic ride to marathon while everyone else is as Millennium Force, Dragster, or Maverick.

Mantis always had a line and now will have a longer one. Good luck with your marathoning:)

Every time I've been to Cedar Point Mantis had a line. The shortest I ever saw it was 45 minutes and the longest was 2.5 hours. Usually it was always around 1.75 hours. That's why I was initially surprised that Mantis was getting new trains in order to improve the experience. I think an average 1.75 hour line suggests that people enjoyed the current experience and I include myself in that. As far as the marathon goes good luck. The only time I can see that being a possibility is on Fridays during Halloweekends. That's when I hope to get plenty of rides.

Every time I've been to Cedar Point Mantis had a line. The shortest I ever saw it was 45 minutes and the longest was 2.5 hours. Usually it was always around 1.75 hours. That's why I was initially surprised that Mantis was getting new trains in order to improve the experience. I think an average 1.75 hour line suggests that people enjoyed the current experience and I include myself in that. As far as the marathon goes good luck. The only time I can see that being a possibility is on Fridays during Halloweekends. That's when I hope to get plenty of rides.

I think the standup gimmick is something that needs to live on just so people can try it. I definitely don't think you should stand up on all roller coasters but I think it's a fun little experience once in a while. That being said, I was never impressed with Mantis as a standup. I think it was a good decision making it floorless. Riddler's Revenge is a different story, though.

I went for a weekend last year and on a Sunday and Mantis was almost a walk-on. I think we waited like 15 minute at best. We walked up to the station queue at best. I am kinda interested in how this will work. and then it makes me wonder can other coasters transformed. Is it possible to make an inverted coaster, a winged coaster or a flyer. Probably not probable but just a thought.

I never understood the standup coaster but I think in a way Cedar Point should have kept the stand up coaster b/c it is a unique type of coaster. Of the stand ups that I have been on Mantis was pretty good. They got rid of the disaster transport, a bobsled and now a stand up coaster. No point in thinking about it now b/c the damage is done.

You also have to keep in mind Mantis only ran 2 trains compared to the park's other coasters that run three. Combine that with the slow loading process of the stand up coasters and that gives you a decent line. While I'm sure it will attract a line like all of the majors at CP, that third train is gonna help a lot.

I have only been on three stand ups and Mantis was my favorite. It has a good layout so that made standing up more enjoyable. I think the problem with stand ups is that people choose to sit rather than stand. You have to stand up in order to feel the strong gs on your legs and feet. It's a strange yet fun sensation. Plus you avoid the uncomfortable bicycle seat. Standing up is fun and uncommon, but I'll take a seated position any day. I'll miss Mantis, but I know Rougarou will be a superior ride. I think it may even end up being my favorite floorless.

I have been to Cedar Point probably 20 times in the last 5 years. I cannot recall one time that we waited more than ten minutes for Mantis. Most of the time the thing was walk on. I am glad they made this change because we had a pretty bad ride on it last year and decided we were done with it unless it was changed.

I just can't wait for Rougarou beer.

Oh yeah...may have to make a trip out just for this!

Link

Oh snap this is awesome! I had no idea this would be going on while we are there! Anyone know if this would be included in our "park admission" that we purchased with our Breakers reservations? Even if its like $10-15 extra I'd pay for it. I usually find it hard to say no to beer and/or BBQ.

LOL the last time I rode Mantis the wait was like 15 minutes in the middle of a July weekday. Part of Mantis's long lines came from the bad capacity of the stand-up trains. That should be improved with the floorless trains.

Plus I was thinking end of the day marathoning when the lines die down haha.

Last year Mantis did 925,667 riders with 2 slow loading trains. With 3 trains this year and faster loading trains I wouldn't be suprised to see that number jump quite a bit. Raptor did 1,414,447 and Raptor doesn't run in any rain and closes frequently for wind (I mention Raptor as they also have to drop a floor and each train holds the same number of people as Rougarou's trains). As of last year Mantis never closed for rain though it may now... you never know. I wouldn't be shocked to see this ride jump half a million riders.

... what that means as far as wait times, who knows.

I just can't wait for Rougarou beer.

Oh yeah...may have to make a trip out just for this!

Link

Oh snap this is awesome! I had no idea this would be going on while we are there! Anyone know if this would be included in our "park admission" that we purchased with our Breakers reservations? Even if its like $10-15 extra I'd pay for it. I usually find it hard to say no to beer and/or BBQ.

I would ask them at check-in and mention that this offer wasn't available when you made your reservation. I would think that they might be able to offer you an upgrade to include the event.

In terms of the lines for Mantis, I can only recall one time that I saw the line over 1/2 hour long in the last five or so years. But then again, I tend to go when crowds are lighter - at the beginning of the season and on Friday nights during Halloweekends.

Hopefully this will be a much improved ride with the sit-down trains and additional thematic elements. I will still be a bit concerned about head-banging the OTSR on the last two tight loops and the trick-track like element near the end of the ride as those were the worst parts of the ride when it was a stand-up. The rest of the coaster really wasn't that bad.

^ That sign is awesome! I love the old photos in the hallways too!

I have been to Cedar Point probably 20 times in the last 5 years. I cannot recall one time that we waited more than ten minutes for Mantis. Most of the time the thing was walk on. I am glad they made this change because we had a pretty bad ride on it last year and decided we were done with it unless it was changed.

Granted I've only ever been once, and it was a few years ago but the day we went in the end of July both it and Raptor had pretty similar sizable lines early in the morning, I thought I wouldn't get to try them all in one day but luckily I was with friends who knew the park better and we got both credits with a walk-on in the late afternoon.

Granted I've only ever been once, and it was a few years ago but the day we went in the end of July both it and Raptor had pretty similar sizable lines early in the morning, I thought I wouldn't get to try them all in one day but luckily I was with friends who knew the park better and we got both credits with a walk-on in the late afternoon.

My first day at Cedar Point back in 04', I waited about an hour and a half for Mantis... Second coaster I rode at the park and I had a sinking feeling that Cedar Point wasn't all it was cracked up to be. Luckily Top Thrill Dragster changed that shortly thereafter.