TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

The Cedar Point app updated. I like the map on the app b/c it is really drawn to scale as opposed to the cartoon version. I just want to add more support for my "something bigger than a dive coaster" is coming theory. If you look at the real footprint of MF and Magnum XL. that area where the area that the cleared and some parking lot of course can hold a 500 fter

IMG_1337.thumb.PNG.26e195469b81c37f18527b27ad7e9afc.PNG

What parking lot? This one?

cp2016possible.JPG.b3a2af8c9d8a9b8705f18cacf74fe9f7.JPG

That's the parking lot for the marina, Famous Dave's and Human Resources. Don't think that's going anywhere. The area is not really that large. The pics I've seen provide a nice optical illusion that it's larger than it really is. It is perfect for a nice larger than normal dive coaster.

Parking is and has been at a premium at Cedar Point for the past several years if not longer. I would venture to say that they aren't going to make any major sacrifices in parking anytime soon. Parking on the causeway, which is far from an ideal situation, happens periodically each season which indicates that CP has already been walking on thin ice with their parking availability. Parks shouldn't have massive parking lots for "what if," but Cedar Point is already experiencing what "has been." I'm sure some things can be arranged on the peninsula to open future expansion opportunities, but there is hardly any wasted space if any at all.

I'm just going to put this out there right now before this speculation goes any further...

No chance in hell B&M will build a 500 foot tall dive coaster. It's been three years since they agreed to top 300 ft, and they aren't going to be the first to top the *still to this day* mechanical nightmares of Intamin's 400 foot rocket coasters.

Yes, I understand they are *completely* different technologies, but a 500 foot lift won't only not be built, but the lift/pull out/Immelmann combination will not fit in this space. It's a big space, but not nearly the plot some are making it out to be. For a dive coaster, I'd say 250 ft tops. And that's okay--how do you expect this coaster to be within budget at 500 feet tall?

I really don't think there is room in that spot to fit a 500 footer or anywhere on the peninsula for that matter. The only way I could see any coaster going over 500ft is with a Polar Coaster and that wouldn't even have a 500 foot drop, just height. With money and maintenance, I don't think a 500 foot coaster is plausible anytime soon. That Dive Machine is still looking very promising though.

[attachment=0]cp2016possible.JPG[/attachment]

That's the parking lot for the marina, Famous Dave's and Human Resources. Don't think that's going anywhere. The area is not really that large. The pics I've seen provide a nice optical illusion that it's larger than it really is. It is perfect for a nice larger than normal dive coaster.

When I went the parking was fine but being on an island that can be an issue maybe they should get one of these

Seems to be working for Disney and they recouped enough space to build a whole park. lol. Parking is not a issue, it can be addressed.

Hate to derail the newride/dive conversation, but did anyone ever find an answer for how they addressed the heart-line issue on Rougarou going from standing to floorless?

It looks like the post that holds the seats up are a little bit taller then other floorless coasters

1544760012_2015-04-2822_05_29.jpg.7af606194524dc9cee2ccb80c1b1a661.jpg

www.ultimaterollercoaster.com

11176025_736393343146592_1324413246_n.jpg.a0ecefa53f0a87d67cfd042391a9d146.jpg

@cedarpointsnaps

[attachment=0]cp2016possible.JPG[/attachment]

When I went the parking was fine but being on an island that can be an issue maybe they should get one of these

Seems to be working for Disney and they recouped enough space to build a whole park. lol. Parking is not a issue, it can be addressed.

Parking Garages are REALLY expensive. It's simply not worth it for the park. I think Cedar Point will be looking like Grona Lund before they start cutting into infrastructure space.

I'm pretty sure this was answered somewhere in this thread, but what is the sound that some B&M's make coming out of the station?

From a Holiday World blog post:

Here’s the answer, from VP James: There are five sets of electrical contacts in the station (one per car). This allows the ride computer to talk to the train while in the station (for example, to check that the harnesses are all locked before dispatch). These are spring-loaded contacts, causing the ‘chch’ noise as the train passes over them.

Hate to derail the newride/dive conversation, but did anyone ever find an answer for how they addressed the heart-line issue on Rougarou going from standing to floorless?

It looks like the post that holds the seats up are a little bit taller then other floorless coasters

I'm not sure about that but it does look like the seats are more reclined.

Be interesting to see how this ends up, If this ends up better than Mantis lets hope they do it to their two other standups (both Vortex's)

I'm sure it'll be better than Mantis. Getting run over by a truck would be better than Mantis.

I like the Carowinds Vortex though... I'd leave that one alone, and this is coming from someone that hates every other standup coaster.