TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I actually like that turn..... It's a nice snappy ending. I think they should add some more extreme flat rides personally, I really think a gerstlauer sky fly would work well there. Maybe a zamperla star shape too.

Yeah I wish they had as many flats as those SF parks!

Maybe they could add one of those thrilling Diablo Loopers from Larson.

I think Six Flags is making a smart move by adding these Super Loops, I just wish they wouldn't call them coasters.

I think a Super Loop would be a great addition at Cedar Point too.

I actually like that turn..... It's a nice snappy ending. I think they should add some more extreme flat rides personally, I really think a gerstlauer sky fly would work well there. Maybe a zamperla star shape too.

Yeah I wish they had as many flats as those SF parks!

Maybe they could add one of those thrilling Diablo Loopers from Larson.

They are lacking now, with the void left by Chaos.

I find it funny watching people bitch about a name being hard to pronounce, but have no problems mispronouncing other names.

My girlfriend is a native french speaker. When I asked her to pronounce "rougarou," it blew my mind. Everyone at CP saying it on video isn't even coming close. The first consonant sounds more like an L than an R. Infact neither r is pronounced with an "R" syllable.

Of course none of that matters, and it won't matter with this new ride either. I just find it funny.

Couple of things.

What ever Cedar Point is building is going to huge. It has to be.

1. Cedar Point does not build subpar major attractions. Most of their rides are thoughtful, record breakers in their respective class.

A. A Dive Machine is low hanging fruit in that regard. Layman love the look of dive coaster, a dive coaster over 200 feet would break records and it is easy to break inversion and height records. I could imagine a Dive machine looking great in that spot with the first drop looking awesome.

I however an thinking BIGGER. You don't start clearing things so early for a dive machine unless there is some underground element that requires some holes, sub pumps etc. I think Cedar point in Cedar Point fashion is going for something BIG, I'd be pleasantly shocked if they went to for 500ft record. The space they are clearing can handle a out and back coaster.

B. RMC is coming, not yet. The safe bet is for Mean Steak it is a bumpy and would make a great RMC but what about Gemini? Why do a RMC when you get rid of Gemini altogether. It does nothing for a the park and starting RMC coaster from scratch can be pretty awesome and better than remixed coasters. Either proposition would be awesome.

C. Cedar Point won't compromise its rep for what ever build- While the park is known for record breakers they are not know for "first of its kind" coasters. It looks like typically you can look across the Cedar Point family and see what coasters they have in other places to see what they are testing. That could mean a super tall B&M coaster which would be a different experience from Force based on Carowinds getting a giga and Canada's Wonderland already having one.

In conclusion what ever they are building is going to world class, a record breaker, and we will love it b/c they don't seem to disappoint. In my own time going to Cedar Point I felt like it was the Manhattan of amusement park. Not because of the shape of the land but because of the high quality of rides, the creative use of space, and the diverse amount of experiences. I came for a weekend and thought It could have been a 4 day trip easily. They have earned my trust that what ever they build they will blow us away in some way.

I've only been to the point once and I plan on going back this year and every year moving forward, even though for me it is either a long drive or expensive flight.

I'm definitely a believer in this is to big for a dive machine, unless something else big is coming that they need to focus construction on later. A 500 footer would make a lot of sense but it just seems like that's out of the blue.And in you want to be in true CP fashion, be the second to go over the height barrier than claim to be first. Your way of on Gemini though, it's a family ride that rounds out the collection and provides a nice, fun transitional thrill ride with good airtime and competition.

Why do a RMC when you get rid of Gemini altogether. It does nothing for a the park and starting RMC coaster from scratch can be pretty awesome and better than remixed coasters. Either proposition would be awesome.

Pardon me if I misunderstood, but.... are you suggesting that Gemini does nothing for the park and should be removed?

I'm just not sure if I read that correctly.

Why do a RMC when you get rid of Gemini altogether. It does nothing for a the park and starting RMC coaster from scratch can be pretty awesome and better than remixed coasters. Either proposition would be awesome.

Pardon me if I misunderstood, but.... are you suggesting that Gemini does nothing for the park and should be removed?

I'm just not sure if I read that correctly.

LOL I was thinking the same thing. Removing Gemini seems so ridiculous!

This name is awful. I hope these are just trying to throw us off the scent.

Care to elaborate?

Sounds like a great name for a dive machine to me!

He really doesn't need to elaborate. The name stinks. Not only is it going to be terrible to try and pronounce, but nobody really knows what a Valravn is before they Google it.

Because you know Rougarou is so easy to pronounce and EVERYONE knows what it is without googling it.

It's still easier to pronounce than a name that ends with "VN".

It's literally Val-Raven but without the E between the V and the N. It's not that complicated, and I'm sure it'll be like Leviathan, Gatekeeper, Banshee and have a giant bird statue with the name. People will put 2+2 together, and realize it's Valravn. Thus realizing it's pronounced Val-Raven.

I like the sound of the name and am excited to see that CF are trying to put more effort into the names & theming of their newer rides. Perhaps they are doing this to mess with the enthusiasts that were complaining about names like Drop Tower and Back Lot Stunt Coaster a couple of years ago?

Personally, I would prefer that they name the ride after something none of us know much about - make us do our homework & learn about history, mythology and foreign fictional creatures. I had no idea what Rougarou was until I Googled it and now I think the idea, name & new branding/theming looks pretty cool.

This taken from Wikipedia...Google it and I bet you might find some interesting links that may be a bit morbid!

"In Danish folklore, a valravn (Danish "raven of the slain") is a supernatural raven. The ravens appear in traditional Danish folksongs, where they are described as originating from ravens who consume the bodies of the dead on the battlefield, as capable of turning into the form of a knight after consuming the heart of a child, and, alternately, as half-wolf and half-raven creatures."

Edited by Philrad71

Maybe I spoke too soon.

When I went to Cedar Point for the first time last summer I did the whole 'I have to ride every roller coater' thing and of all of them Gemini was the most forgettable, least exciting, and left wondering when was this ever a great roller coaster?That is my opinion and I see I am in the minority.

When I made my comment about not adding anything to the park I will admit it does add the dueling coaster element but I was looking at it from a holistic approach of type of wooden roller coaster. It would great to have a

1. Twister- Mean Streak

2. Classic Out and Back woodie- Blue Streak

3. An RMC crazy hybrid.

The more I think about I'd rather see a El Toro style Intamin over Gemini. I don't look at Gemini as Cedar Points way of rounding out its coaster line up with a mild family coaster. I think it was intended to be a thrilling coaster that is now settling as a family ride coaster. Again that is just my opinion, I am sure we all have our own. lol

^^ You are correct...Gemini back in the day scared the "you know what" out of me when I first rode it when I was around 12. It was the biggest dueling coaster in the world when it was built and was definitely the most intimidating looking ride at the park (before they installed Demon Drop).

Compared to rides like MF, Dragster and Magnum, this looks like a family coaster now and it has pretty much settled into that role...something that the younger generation and teens can enjoy as a "tweener" coaster with their families before readying themselves for the bigger ones. I personally still enjoy the first drop and the head chopper part, but the final helix is definitely a bit harder on my back than I remember when I was a teen!

You don't start clearing things so early for a dive machine unless there is some underground element that requires some holes, sub pumps etc.

Normally that may be the case. The park knew the area was going to need to be cleared, and it's definitely easier to do it in the off season. There wasn't any need in getting the cars ready to open for a couple months with wasted maintenance and training on a ride that was leaving. Also the theater would have been sitting empty anyway so why not remove it ASAP. It was also a good time to move any other attractions they were keeping then so as to not lose more attractions temporarily for the remainder of the season. It makes sense to do that much clearing before the season starts and reroute any roads and utilities in that area. Since Perimeter Rd is the only way for guests to get to and from the hotels/campground it made sense to do so this early to not cause more traffic delays than usual during the busy summer months.

^Depends on how thorough you want your visit to be.

If arrive at opening and time the coasters just right, you should be able to get on most major attractions once and maybe have some time for a couple re-rides without a FL+. By major I mean all the coasters except the kiddies and a few major flats such as MaXair, Windseeker, Power Tower, and Skyhawk. Starting at Magnum and working my way counter-clockwise around the park has never failed me to get on everything I wanted. However, if you have never been to Cedar Point and won't likely be back for several years, I would recommend a FL+ so you can get much more re-riding. If you plan to enjoy other things such as flats, shows, or you just want to make the day relaxing, a FL+ is recommended. Personally, I'm very good at limiting my nourishment and resource needs (I will spend literally only 15 minutes maximum eating food, zero time in gift shops, and avoid entertainment from 10am-10pm), so I typically make my visits to CP or any large park very grueling. However, that method is not for everyone, so FL+ is a great way to reduce waiting and get a "whole park" experience.

Well it looks like I'll be going to the Ohio on June 5 and going to the park on the 6 and 7 with 5 of my friends. None of my friends have ever been there so I gave them the heads up warning about lines. But since it's early June I don't think the lines will be too long.

This name is awful. I hope these are just trying to throw us off the scent.

Care to elaborate?

Sounds like a great name for a dive machine to me!

He really doesn't need to elaborate. The name stinks. Not only is it going to be terrible to try and pronounce, but nobody really knows what a Valravn is before they Google it.

Because you know Rougarou is so easy to pronounce and EVERYONE knows what it is without googling it.

It's still easier to pronounce than a name that ends with "VN".

Gatekeeper is okay, roguarou is worse, and Valravn is terrible..